Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nana Attakora

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nana Attakora

I will not get into the saturday, Cummins tried something that did not work, and which weakend our attack and our defense. End of story for me we move on.

However, I have to say this that Attakora will be a great CB in this league if he stays, but I think that it is more likely that he get signed by a European team sooner rather then later.
    Last edited by trane; 06-01-2009 at 09:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the kid is strong, smart... and has surprising speed and acceleration.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's playing like a MLS starter right now. Lots of room for development and consistency but he's definately on the fence whether or not he'll full bloom should be exciting to follow.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I think he is playing better the your average MLS starter at CB, and he is young yet. An average MLS starter at that position is shite, a good one is Marshal's quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he's a true prospect.. not one of these 23-24 year old college players like Julius James.
    starting CB now, and only 20 years old. great future ahead of him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    ^ I think he is playing better the your average MLS starter at CB, and he is young yet. An average MLS starter at that position is shite, a good one is Marshall's quality.
    ...and he doesn't punch people in the face and get dismissed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Yes, never a good thing when your CB gets red carded because his temper get the better of him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had Frei not been such a story early on, we'd be hearing more about young Attakora...

He's been excellent, and earned his playing time...

Good on him!
    Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you go as far as to go with Attakora and Velez in central defence to give Serioux a break?

Serioux looks as if he's carrying an injury and in the last few games has been merely ok, as opposed to his immense play to start the season. He doesn't look as mobile as he did before and at least once a game he looks in serious pain after having to overextend himself to make the play. Give him a couple of weeks off and get him back to his early season form.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    Would you go as far as to go with Attakora and Velez in central defence to give Serioux a break?

Serioux looks as if he's carrying an injury and in the last few games has been merely ok, as opposed to his immense play to start the season. He doesn't look as mobile as he did before and at least once a game he looks in serious pain after having to overextend himself to make the play. Give him a couple of weeks off and get him back to his early season form.
    Serioux will play through anything. He's got two injuries (at least) right now. I would've liked him tomorrow and the 18th v Montreal but I could see him as a game day decision tomorrow. His injury got the best of him at least once v Houston.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to see Velez at centreback. He can step in at RB when Wynne is on international duty but no more Velez in the middle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we can win the Voyageurs Cup outright tomorrow night - and Serioux is hurting and needs time, he should sit out the LA game...

We need him against the East teams, as we can't afford to give them points... He'd be off from 3rd to the 12th, that's 9-days (if its just rest needed, that could do it)...

If its more serious, and he can make it through the NY game, we have three straight weeks of Western Conference teams (Salt Lake, San Jose, Houston)... That's June 14th to July 24th (with July 25th being the Trillium Cup final with Columbus)...

If we have guys that need some time to heal some nagging hurts, June/July could be an option - unless a CONCACAF game is added in the first round of the Champions League...

Carts...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nana is a very good prospect. However, I don't think we can rely on him to start every game from here on. He's still young, and I worry that he's going to get exposed and all of a sudden people will rip him apart. He's still young, and probalby another year before he should be a regular starter.

As for him going to Europe, it seems like every time a player has a good couple of games people start talking about Europe. Listen, Kenny Cooper is still in the MLS, that's all I have to say about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Kenny Cooper is in the MLS becasue he gets DP money otherwise, he would be in Europe, in fact he was in the United system before.

Nana is more then a good prospect in MLS terms, he is more then capable of starting in this league, were CB is not a very strong position. Not sayin he will not stumble, all young players do, but so far he does not look just like another player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kenny wont be sold

they wont sell him, otherwise he'd be gone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    he's a true prospect.. not one of these 23-24 year old college players like Julius James.
    starting CB now, and only 20 years old. great future ahead of him.
    I agree but you got to remember every player develops differently, some players peak at 21 and some peak at 31..

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    If we can win the Voyageurs Cup outright tomorrow night - and Serioux is hurting and needs time, he should sit out the LA game...

We need him against the East teams, as we can't afford to give them points...
    Last year, I'd buy that.

This year the playoff picture changes. Last year, it was the Top 3 in each conference plus the next best 2 from either conference. This year, the Top 2 in each Conference make it plus the next best 4.

To paraphrase from Monty Python... every (point) is sacred.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was out drinking on Saturday with a guy who plays on York with him last year, he had only praise for him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Last year, I'd buy that.

This year the playoff picture changes. Last year, it was the Top 3 in each conference plus the next best 2 from either conference. This year, the Top 2 in each Conference make it plus the next best 4.

To paraphrase from Monty Python... every (point) is sacred.
    That's a great point...

I was thinking about last years setup/format when I posted that...

Carts...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Kenny Cooper is in the MLS becasue he gets DP money otherwise, he would be in Europe, in fact he was in the United system before.

Nana is more then a good prospect in MLS terms, he is more then capable of starting in this league, were CB is not a very strong position. Not sayin he will not stumble, all young players do, but so far he does not look just like another player.
    Kenny Cooper is in this league because Dallas blocked his trade, not becasue of his paycheck. Either way, my point is, we need to stop making assumptions that MO is ready to deal with European teams for any player, or we need to stop assuming European teams will come knocking for anyone who has a good couple of games. Nana right now has a lot more to prove before he's signed by a European team, that's my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Yes, but your argument was that Kenny Cooper was not good enough to play in Europe, that there is no interest for him in Europe. Nana has not put only a couple of good games, every time he has played he has played well. No European team my approach us, he may approach European teams.

I hope that I am wrong. I hope that Nana plays for us for a long time. But if I was him I would be looking for opportunities in other places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, we're talking about resting players for possible champions league games.

This is definitely what I signed up for...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Yes, but your argument was that Kenny Cooper was not good enough to play in Europe, that there is no interest for him in Europe. Nana has not put only a couple of good games, every time he has played he has played well. No European team my approach us, he may approach European teams.

I hope that I am wrong. I hope that Nana plays for us for a long time. But if I was him I would be looking for opportunities in other places.
    Ok, I see what why you said what you said, because you completely mis-understood my argument Probably my fault cause I didn't elaborate but I thought it was general knowledge that Kenny Cooper is good enough for Europe.

What I was saying was that even if you are as good as Kenny Cooper, it doesn't mean your team will release you and that you'll be able to sign in Europe. So, Kenny Cooper, as good as he is, is still in the MLS. Surely this shows that MLS is not willing to deal with European teams as much as we think they are. Also Twellman is another example. Brad Guzan as well before they finally let the trade go through.

Get my point? Nana is ours and if Mo was smart he'd tie him down to a longer term contract pretty soon. At that point, we don't have to sell him if we don't want to.

So I'll say once again, we need to stop assuming players will go to Europe just because they play a good couple of games. There are a lot of variables that need to fall in place in order for that to happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's ok....Serioux will get to relax after the LA game...we get a nice break then between June 7 and June 17.......oh..........yeah........nevermind

on topic.....Nana is playing great so far, hope he keeps it up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the record Kenny Cooper will make a whopping $109,000.00 guaranteed this year according to the MLS Players Association website. He's here cause they refused to sell.

Here's the link just in case

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/3_15...info_alpha.pdf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nana is awesome! We have been hearing it for years and we even saw a glimpse of it last year. Media who covered training would quite often say that Nana and Gala stood out the most in sessions. Nana was captain of Canada's U-20s most recently and finally is given a shot by Cummins and why not? He has to be better than Harmse and Velez right?

Thank god Cummins gave him a shot, I think Mo and Carver were too scared to give a young player so much responsibility. I hope Nana is called to the Canadian men's team for the Gold Cup even if he doesn't get to play it will be a great experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Ok, I see what why you said what you said, because you completely mis-understood my argument Probably my fault cause I didn't elaborate but I thought it was general knowledge that Kenny Cooper is good enough for Europe.

What I was saying was that even if you are as good as Kenny Cooper, it doesn't mean your team will release you and that you'll be able to sign in Europe. So, Kenny Cooper, as good as he is, is still in the MLS. Surely this shows that MLS is not willing to deal with European teams as much as we think they are. Also Twellman is another example. Brad Guzan as well before they finally let the trade go through.

Get my point? Nana is ours and if Mo was smart he'd tie him down to a longer term contract pretty soon. At that point, we don't have to sell him if we don't want to.

So I'll say once again, we need to stop assuming players will go to Europe just because they play a good couple of games. There are a lot of variables that need to fall in place in order for that to happen.
    Agreed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djking2 View Post
    For the record Kenny Cooper will make a whopping $109,000.00 guaranteed this year according to the MLS Players Association website. He's here cause they refused to sell.

Here's the link just in case

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/3_15...info_alpha.pdf

That may be against the cap, but I thought he was getting way more then that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I'd rather us have kept Tyronne than Serioux... Sure he's got the throwins but as a CB, Tyronne's better in almost every aspect (i'd even argue temperment)... I'd actually say Serioux is more better suited out wide instead of CB.

With that said, i think the biggest DEFENSIVE hole in our D is Jimmy B... I know people have an unhealthy love for this guy, but a spade has to be called a spade, Jimmy B is much better suited to be a MF than he is a Defender....He's the most frequently beat defender we have in 1-on-1 situations, and makes Wynne look like a superstar 1-on-1 defending attackers (which he isnt)

if I could turn back time, I'd bump Jimmy up to MF, and put this as our back 4:

Wynne____Nana___Tyronne____Serioux

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That would be a good back four.