Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Huckerby to Celtic?

Toronto FC target Huckerby to take Celtic option

tribalfootball.com - June 01, 2008

Celtic are chasing off contract Norwich City striker Darren Huckerby.

The News of the World says Huckerby will snub the MLS to join Celtic.
    The winger has turned down Toronto FC to sign a 12-month deal with his former Coventry boss Gordon Strachan at the Scottish champs. Huck, 32, was a target for six Championship clubs after being released by Norwich.
    I know tribalfootball isn’t the most reliable source, but it looks like the report is based on a News of the World piece.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahhh well, to bad. Was looking forward to him too. But im sure we will get someone better. Im Mo i trust with the signing of players

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    I know tribalfootball isn’t the most reliable source, but it looks like the report is based on a News of the World piece.

So how valid is this then, since I have no idea how reliable News of the World is?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're about as accurate on these things as a dart tossed blindfolded at an open barn door.

Frequently, the London tabs just reprint whatever the source in question says, without even attempting to confirm or deny from the club. This source might actually be Strachan, if he's trying to pressure Huckerby into making a decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hope its true. I don't want a 32 year old with a bad hip.

I want my Ameobi, like

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need a striker. Huckerby is not a striker. If this is true, it's nothing but good news.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't know much about him to make up my mind...but I am confused. If he isn't good enough for Norwich...would he even get to start a game at Celtic???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 125_TFC View Post
    We need a striker. Huckerby is not a striker. If this is true, it's nothing but good news.
    He started at striker, did well at it in his only recent season 03-04 at the position. Would be infinitely better at it than Cunningham. I've seen him walk through a few defenses and he's a dangerous player, as long as he's fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good thing? I wouldn’t put it that way. I don’t think Huckerby’s quite the right fit either (though he has played as a striker), but I’m a little concerned about TFC's ability to attract players at the moment.

As for News of the World - it’s pretty trashy but probably no worse than any other British paper as source of football rumours.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly! Nothing against the guy personally, but I simply don't think we need him with the current squad. Sure he's more or less interchangable as a Forward/Mid, but we need someone focused specifically on scoring during the run of play.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Didn't know much about him to make up my mind...but I am confused. If he isn't good enough for Norwich...would he even get to start a game at Celtic???
    The SPL and Championship are pretty comparable in terms of calibre of player. Huckerby’s on the outs with coach at Norwich more than being not good enough, that and he’s on the older side and injury prone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another article on this story from a more trusted source I think.

http://www.celtic.vitalfootball.co.u...e.asp?a=111455

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The SPL and Championship are pretty comparable in terms of calibre of player. Huckerby’s on the outs with coach at Norwich more than being not good enough, that and he’s on the older side and injury prone.
    I was thinking the same thing as Roogsy.....and I understand if you compare the SPL with CCC but we are talking about one of the two primere clubs in the SPL who constantly play a number of games in Champions League and UEFA Cup...There arn't any Championship sides that can bost that....

I still see Hucks not playing much for the Bhoys if he can't hack it in the Championship....you guys might know more.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Celtic & Rangers are more like mid-premiership quality. Both of them have gone to the UEFA cup final over the last 5 years.
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

…and the final 16 of the Champions League…3 years on the trot…
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    …and the final 16 of the Champions League…3 years on the trot…
    Good point
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Razcle View Post
    I was thinking the same thing as Roogsy.....and I understand if you compare the SPL with CCC but we are talking about one of the two primere clubs in the SPL who constantly play a number of games in Champions League and UEFA Cup...There arn't any Championship sides that can bost that....

I still see Hucks not playing much for the Bhoys if he can't hack it in the Championship....you guys might know more.
    Can't hack it? Does anyone do any research on this board before they post? He was the Canaries' fans player of the year for the last three years, he's just too injury prone for Norwich to want to give him a deal longer than a year and he promised Norwich fans he wouldn't play anywhere else.

As for those who don't think (read: don't know) he's a natural finisher, I offer the following, with the crazy goals starting around the 1 minute mark:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose13 View Post
    Celtic & Rangers are more like mid-premiership quality. Both of them have gone to the UEFA cup final over the last 5 years.
    Players go from the Championship to Celtic all the time. A lot of their squad (the British players at least) have either played in the Championship (or lower level) or at smaller SPL clubs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is all gona come down to $$$$$...stay tune this aint over by a long shot! HUckerby wont sit on the bench at celtic..and thats what will happen!...

I'll stick to my guns...and say hucks will join TFC very shortly!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with skills like that he'd tear apart MLS defenders... he would have had 8 goals against LA!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe he would be interested in playing in a decent looking kit

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Players go from the Championship to Celtic all the time. A lot of their squad (the British players at least) have either played in the Championship (or lower level) or at smaller SPL clubs.
    …and Celtic players go to the Premiership…your point?
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    …and Celtic players go to the Premiership…your point?
    I was addressing the suggestion that a player for Norwich City wouldn’t have a place at Celtic (though looking back the text I quoted could have been better choosen).
    In large part, Rangers and Celtic draw players from the same pool as Championship teams. Some posts above made it sound like Huckerby would be out of his league at Celtic.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are many good CCC players who have come to the Old Firm and performed well but I agree with many here, I doubt Huckerby would get a game with us…albeit Keegan is after McDonald, Feynoord want JVoH and Samaras appears to be on his way to Werder Bremen…so like TFC we're looking for strikers.

Just a side note…2 of our 3 strikers are playing in Euro 2008…doubt Huckerby is in the same class…IMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Huckerby is good enough for Celtic, but it’s neither here nor there really. Let’s hope Huckerby lands with TFC where he’s both needed and will be in the starting lineup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stretchthetruth View Post
    with skills like that he'd tear apart MLS defenders... he would have had 8 goals against LA!
    He can score a lot at this level. He's a fucking deadly finisher and has the same kind of ball skills as Ricketts and Robert, maybe even better on the dribble.

The knock is his joints, and he's probably getting an earful from Frank Yallop about how much better playign in San Jose would be for his health.

But I think he'd be a legend here.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Celtic are looking at a decent player in Huckerby, nothing special..Celtic always look for bargins...It would be nice if they spend some of the CL money on the team for a change....Come on the Hoops!!! SPEND!!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The SPL has always welcomed former EPL and CCC castoffs. Look at bloody Chris Sutton and Rod Wallace to name a couple. Huckerby would fit in up in Scotland.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to sound uppity but he's not going to actually start at Celtic.
    From what I hear Maloney is going too - so he'll just fit in nicely on the bench.
    McDonald won't go with Keegan - he'd be nuts.

Hucks would be a bargain tho.