Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan69 View Post
    A tournament where we can actually win something vs. a pointless friendly. I certainly know which one interests me the most.
    after we played last night the canadian championship is not looking promising either...the team as not played well in the last few weeks
    and looks no better then our USL counterparts in Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    after we played last night the canadian championship is not looking promising either...the team as not played well in the last few weeks
    and looks no better then our USL counterparts in Canada.
    I guess we can expect a 10-0 blowout at the hands of Real Madrid.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan69 View Post
    I guess we can expect a 10-0 blowout at the hands of Real Madrid.

everything is possible.. ..we could even win..but at the end of the day
    playing high profile teams if even in friendly..means that the team is getting the publicity it deserves..home and abroad./

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torontocelt View Post
    Players can get injured at any point, doing anything, it is just down to luck. I would say the odds of one of the players getting injured in the match is slim and not something to worry about. I have seen many friendlies in my time and it would be rare for me to ever see someone sustain a bad injury during these kind of matches, outside of O'Brian I can only think of John Kennedy but that was due to a very malicious tackle from a nut job of a player. Real Madrid are not exactly the kind of team who are full of hatchet men, it is very likely that they would dominate possession so I couldn't imagine them having to tackle much, this would limit the chance of a TFC player being injured. The match wont be played as a proper competitve match either so there would be no reason for players to be busting a gut to get to every 50 - 50 ball, again this would limit the chances of injury. I would be very surprised, nay amazed if Toronto FC suffered an injury during this match that inadvertidly affected their chances of a play off place, I just don't think it is likely. Short of wrapping your players in cotton wool injuries are just down to chance.
    Thisi I agree with. If people are treating players like china dolls, then where do we draw the line. Fact of the matter is, in the origial schedule before the shuffling, there would've been near two weeks of void between the league matches in middle of the June. Do you honestly think Cummins and coaching staff would use that void to send the players home to "protect" them from getting injured? Or do you think they'll line up some type of simulated games (intra-squad, local clubs etc) along with their usual practices to keep the fitness and sharpness up? I'm willing to bet that regardless of this extra friendly, the players would've been exposed to just as much or even more "hazardous" conditions to fill the void during the downtime. So, do we stop that too? Or what about all those friendlies played before the season? It's one thing to play against RSL or DCU, but what advantage do we really gain by playing some scrubs from local college? If your reasoning is to keep their match fitness, wouldn't it be better to play an intra-squad than to play some hacks who pose even greater risk? What if some Joe Soccerplayer from some Florida Bullhit College nailed Dero or Robo with a season ending injury because they didn't tackle properly? What happens to our playoff run? I didn't see anyone complaining back then.

My point is, some of you're really stretching this potential injury risk way out of proportion. It's just one extra game. You don't like friendlies, fine, that's your personal preference and I perfectly respect that, and let's leave it at that. But when you start making injury excuese, now you're openiing a whole another can of worm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wondering, forget about all these "supposed" friendlies for a second. Let's just say we have about a week of downttime with no league game and, out of blue, TFC somehow miraculously scheduled a closed door game against Real Madrid. Do we still hear same complaints about injuries and potential risk about this "meaningless" game?
    Last edited by TFC247; 05-31-2009 at 10:03 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC247 View Post
    Thisi I agree with. If people are treating players like china dolls, then where do we draw the line. Fact of the matter is, in the origial schedule before the shuffling, there would've been near two weeks of void between the league matches in middle of the June. Do you honestly think Cummins and coaching staff would use that void to send the players home to "protect" them from getting injured? Or do you think they'll line up some type of simulated games (intra-squad, local clubs etc) along with their usual practices to keep the fitness and sharpness up? I'm willing to bet that regardless of this extra friendly, the players would've been exposed to just as much or even more "hazardous" conditions to fill the void during the downtime. So, do we stop that too? Or what about all those friendlies played before the season? It's one thing to play against RSL or DCU, but what advantage do we really gain by playing some scrubs from local college? If your reasoning is to keep their match fitness, wouldn't it be better to play an intra-squad than to play some hacks who pose even greater risk? What if some Joe Soccerplayer from some Florida Bullhit College nailed Dero or Robo with a season ending injury because they didn't tackle properly? What happens to our playoff run? I didn't see anyone complaining back then.

My point is, some of you're really stretching this potential injury risk way out of proportion. It's just one extra game. You don't like friendlies, fine, that's your personal preference and I perfectly respect that, and let's leave it at that. But when you start making injury excuese, now you're openiing a whole another can of worm.
    +1

Well this was an excellent read and well thought out.......I really never thought it out along these lines.
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    You got a chuckle because you agree that our feelings on this matter are silly. Some of us feel strongly about what a stupid idea this is and he is essentially mocking our opinions. I don't appreciate that.
    Because I don't agree doesn't mean I think your feelings are silly. I just thought it was a funny comment based on how much attention this has received on the board over the weekend (and it was more the WAG comment, but anyway) Nothing more.

Besides - it's not that I don't agree with you on the matter. I just don't think it's as big a deal as some people...
    Last edited by JonO; 05-31-2009 at 10:27 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    Because I don't agree doesn't mean I think your feelings are silly. I just thought it was a funny comment based on how much attention this has received on the board over the weekend (and it was more the WAG comment, but anyway) Nothing more.

Besides - it's not that I don't agree with you on the matter. I just don't think it's as big a deal as some people...
    I don't care if people disagree with me. Shoot...people disagree all the time. I disagree with them just as much and if I want to express my opinion I should expect others to be able to express theirs. You don't feel the same way...I can understand that! I don't expect you to feel the same way as me.

But I am tired of this "RPB are whining" crap. You know what? RPB putting together an effort to let the team know what supporters need and want has led to many positive initiatives that now all supporters benefit from. And anyone who wants to get on their high horse and mock RPBs on THIS board that is owned by RPB can take their opinions and shove it in any one of their own orifices of their choosing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wanted to add that JonO has the best avatar ever!
    A wee elephant bouncing on a trampoline? Art, pure art right there!

edit: where is that from anyway? It's fun to watch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has this friendly with Madrid been confirmed or is this still speculation?

Don't really feel like reading 16 pages of posts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    But Cretan... comeon... did anyone ever think we were going to get some of the Giants included with our Season Package?
    My problem isn't with charging extra for Real, it's the message of "you're good enough for this, but not good enough for that". It's hard to not see it as a slap in the face. More to my point, it's a situation that could have been avoided. If they gave us no friendlies (and offered the Canada Cup games) and charged us for all friendlies it wouldn't be insulting. But to create a situation that ultimate says we'll spend "this" much on you but not "that" much creates a situation that is going to rub people the wrong way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hobophobe View Post
    Has this friendly with Madrid been confirmed or is this still speculation?

Don't really feel like reading 16 pages of posts

it is confirmed as well as 2 weeks of grass on BMO

from what I have been told, during that same time period, another uefa champions league squad has been all but confirmed to play as well as a concacaf opponent (likely the carlsberg cup).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't care if people disagree with me. Shoot...people disagree all the time. I disagree with them just as much and if I want to express my opinion I should expect others to be able to express theirs. You don't feel the same way...I can understand that! I don't expect you to feel the same way as me.

But I am tired of this "RPB are whining" crap. You know what? RPB putting together an effort to let the team know what supporters need and want has led to many positive initiatives that now all supporters benefit from. And anyone who wants to get on their high horse and mock RPBs on THIS board that is owned by RPB can take their opinions and shove it in any one of their own orifices of their choosing.
    This is too much. You have truly lost the plot, whoever you are.

Am I the only person who doesn't look to see whether a poster is an RPB member or not, before I post?

I do think this board has an identity crisis. As far as I'm concerned, this isn't "your" board, and there is no "us". I come for high quality TFC discussion, that's pretty much it. That used to be OK. Despite what appear to be your best efforts to stifle debate on topics you don't like the other side on, that's still the case. For now.

And for the record, I have never once "crapped" on RPB. I just crap on poorly-thought-through ideas by people I don't know. I have no special feeling for RPB, I used to be much more positive towards it, but several of these episodes have left me feeling pretty cold about what is going on.

I remember the history. This used to be mainly a Section 112 board, with some really smart footy people (many of which are gone). You got validation because mlsintoronto started coming on, and your registered numbers exploded.

Until you make it a members-only site, you don't "own" this site at all.

Until you ban me, or the better posters move to bigsoccer or whatever, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Whether it's "OK" with you or not.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually your point of DC United proves the exact opposite.

DC United has had the strongest attendance in MLS for years. Why? Because of their winning ways.

Their attendance started declining in the last couple of years because of a) they haven't won the MLS Cup in a while, which in fact proves our point and b) they have been playing out of RFK for so long and can't resolve their stadium situation to the point where there is even talk about moving the team! As we all know with the Expos, that is an attendance killer all on it's own.

But it doesn't change the fact that their league-leading attendance numbers had nothing to do with friendlies. It is unfortunate you pulled out that example Flush...it completely does the opposite to your point than what you wanted.

And that does nothing to prove that playing Real Madrid here will help boost TFC's TV ratings or attendance numbers (not that we need it) in the long term.
    Roogsy... you're seriously a spin doctor... you've just outline how fragile the league is and how sad the current state of affairs is around the league. If indeed DCU was top in attendance after winning hardware after hardware, and then suddenly they've declined... that's just sad. If you look at others sports this doesn't happen to the Big Cities aka the Gems of said sport... Also, the MLS has absolutely zero clout over the community and city officials. If DCU was bringing in the $$$ for the city it would be a bad business case for them to neglect them the stadium... numbers $$$ don't lie...
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

I remember the history. This used to be mainly a Section 112 board, with some really smart footy people (many of which are gone). You got validation because mlsintoronto started coming on, and your registered numbers exploded.
    woooooow hold on there a second.... people still have no clue who mlsintoronto is... and when he started posting he made sure he did so at all the other supporter sites. To say we exploded because mlsintoronto came on board is down right silly... you might as well disregard every chant, every banner, every flag, every scarf, every roadtrip, every tailgate, and every march we organized in the early years... ooh yeah even the calendar...
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^
    +1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^
    +2

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

bla,bla,bla,bla,bla.

Until you ban me, or the better posters move to bigsoccer or whatever, I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. Whether it's "OK" with you or not.

Be careful what you wish for.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is too much. You have truly lost the plot, whoever you are.

Am I the only person who doesn't look to see whether a poster is an RPB member or not, before I post?

I do think this board has an identity crisis. As far as I'm concerned, this isn't "your" board, and there is no "us". I come for high quality TFC discussion, that's pretty much it. That used to be OK. Despite what appear to be your best efforts to stifle debate on topics you don't like the other side on, that's still the case. For now.

And for the record, I have never once "crapped" on RPB. I just crap on poorly-thought-through ideas by people I don't know. I have no special feeling for RPB, I used to be much more positive towards it, but several of these episodes have left me feeling pretty cold about what is going on.

A) Look at the banner on the top of the page - It says "Red Patch Boys", thus this is their boards. Red Patch members pay for the hosting and maintenance of this site, it is a privilege for all others to be on it.

B) This was NEVER a Section 112 board, there has always been individuals with tickets all over the stadium and individuals with no tickets at all. From day one.

I'm not sure what your motivations are here, but most are just trying to create a better experience for the fans of Toronto FC and to support a football team on the field. The Toronto FC front office has a different agenda, thus there needs to be consistent communication with the membership and fans to ensure that the balance remains fair. Pretty simple.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco
    I love it when people claim they don't insult the Red Patch Boys right after they make posts that clearly do. And I quote:

Need a new thread specifically related to the RPB identity crisis unleashed by this news.

Also maybe a thread for the WAGS of RPB to discuss how they're coping with their RPB mates in this time of turmoil.
    You gotta be kidding me. This isn't even close to being true. I should know...I've been posting on the "RPB" forum (in all it's forms) since December of 2006 and this is revionist history in it's purest form.

Talk about losing the plot. The Red Patch Boys don't own the Red Patch Boys Forum. What a weird Monday morning.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 06-01-2009 at 09:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is this thread about now???

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nodoubtguy View Post
    what is this thread about now???
    generalizing the thread into 2 camps. Surprise

Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 06-01-2009 at 09:19 AM.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roogsy... you're seriously a spin doctor... you've just outline how fragile the league is and how sad the current state of affairs is around the league. If indeed DCU was top in attendance after winning hardware after hardware, and then suddenly they've declined... that's just sad. If you look at others sports this doesn't happen to the Big Cities aka the Gems of said sport... Also, the MLS has absolutely zero clout over the community and city officials. If DCU was bringing in the $$$ for the city it would be a bad business case for them to neglect them the stadium... numbers $$$ don't lie...

It's a sad slap of reality...but that is the truth. The league is facing some difficult markets in the US. If it weren't for us and Seattle...the average attendance would be disgustingly low.

And it does happen in other sports. Attendance is a real problem in the US right now in several sports, has been for years.

As to what happens in other sports or other cities...each city and sport is different. Using DC again as an example...city council bent over backwards to bring in the Expos (who never contributed a dime to DC by the way) and even went out of their way to spend on the stadium etc. and look at their attendance. One of the worst in Major League Baseball.

And yet they received council support.

It is true Flush...numbers don't lie. This isn't about spinning...these are the facts. And you have yet to explain how a Real Madrid type game would help DC out of their rut since you have compared them to our Madrid situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If indeed DCU was top in attendance after winning hardware after hardware, and then suddenly they've declined... that's just sad.
    guys these things are really not that hard to check lol

• 1996: 15,262/18,946 (won mls cup)
    • 1997: 16,698/20,202 (won mls cup)
    • 1998: 16,008/14,903
    • 1999: 17,419/12,647 (won mls cup)
    • 2000: 18,580/missed playoffs
    • 2001: 21,518/missed playoffs
    • 2002: 16,519/missed playoffs
    • 2003: 15,565/15,202
    • 2004: 17,232/18,842 (won mls cup)
    • 2005: 16,664/20,089
    • 2006: 18,215/20,504
    • 2007: 20,967/19,438
    • 2008: 19,835/missed playoffs

Domestic

International

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBBulldog View Post
    guys these things are really not that hard to check lol

• 1996: 15,262/18,946 (won mls cup)
    • 1997: 16,698/20,202 (won mls cup)
    • 1998: 16,008/14,903
    • 1999: 17,419/12,647 (won mls cup)
    • 2000: 18,580/missed playoffs
    • 2001: 21,518/missed playoffs
    • 2002: 16,519/missed playoffs
    • 2003: 15,565/15,202
    • 2004: 17,232/18,842 (won mls cup)
    • 2005: 16,664/20,089
    • 2006: 18,215/20,504
    • 2007: 20,967/19,438
    • 2008: 19,835/missed playoffs

Domestic

International

BBB...would you say these are league leading attendance numbers in each year? Looks like it to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BBB...would you say these are league leading attendance numbers in each year? Looks like it to me.
    leading maybe, not best, isn't LA well over 20k?

I just ment it doesn't seem dependant on winning the cup to me (twice it went up, twice it went down )

i don't think it's ever going to be higher as long as we're playing in place where at any moment you can die in a cave in

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for higher attendance, you're right...not in that cave.

But I never thought DCU was a proper example to begin with. I don't see your attendance as being the obstacle to getting city support. The lack of support from council is a whole different "ball game" if you will allow the analogy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for higher attendance, you're right...not in that cave.

But I never thought DCU was a proper example to begin with. I don't see your attendance as being the obstacle to getting city support. The lack of support from council is a whole different "ball game" if you will allow the analogy.
    yes, it's ego and politics and politician scum not getting bribed enough DC has pretty good footprint in this area, in any other city stadium would be finished by now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is true Flush...numbers don't lie. This isn't about spinning...these are the facts. And you have yet to explain how a Real Madrid type game would help DC out of their rut since you have compared them to our Madrid situation.
    I don't have to explain how it will help them out of their rut because one tactic or strategy alone won't help a club. What I am saying is that it will contribute to the exposure if the team sells tickets well beyond their average and introduces new fans to the team.
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK...you and I have gone back and forth on this and Jack is right, we have a big game tomorrow. So this will be my last comment on this and if you want to respond and close the thread...I am cool with that.

But with regards to your points. I agree that a multipronged marketing strategy is good. And for that reason, I begrudgingly accept that friendlies have to happen even if tactically they are a horrible idea. And Real Madrid is a stupendous way to market a game...much better than Joe Public FC.

However.

The pros have to weigh out the cons. And because of the points I have repeatedly made (and gone unanswered) I don't believe they do. Or at least, not enough to justify moving a fixture and adding a game.

If this RM game was THE friendly of the season...I wouldn't be howling about it. But it isn't. It's a second friendly added in the middle of the season.

Does this add to the exposure of the team? I don't think it does. TFC won't get much more coverage from this game. What you will have at the game is a large percentage of RM fans that will likely not come back for a TFC game.

Does it sell tickets "beyond their average"? No it does not. It does add to the total ticket count at the end of the season, but does nothing to the average since we sell out every game.

If this concept was so good. We should be adding 3 or 4 of these friendlies a season. But we don't. Not because we can't. Give teams enough money and they will come and each fanbase will come watch Celtic, United and the Old Lady. But because it simply is foolish to add fixtures to an already tight season when it does nothing to help the team succeed and it does nothing to add exposure to the team.

Now I will give you the downside. Let's say TFC go on their annual summer slide. And we are in the middle of a losing streak like we were last year. And then RM come to town and paste us 6-1.

What kind of exposure is that? How many "new fans" will be created? I would hope that doesn't happen...and on top of that I would hope we don't lose someone like Robbo to injury because if we do and then miss the playoffs....oh man.

That is all from me. I don't have any ill will towards bringing a big club to Toronto. I think it's great. But for me the concern is for TFC and I simply don't see enough of that here because we are all starstruck with the Galacticos coming to town. And it saddens me.