Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Exactly, Roogsy.

The point here is to win. Not to play meaningless games. If one of our players gets injured in a meaningful game, well, you have to accept it. But to get injured in a money-grabber is just plain wrong. Unneccessary and ultimately it has negatively affected our team in the past.
    One would hope that the Academy would play this game. No one is paying to see Toronto FC play, that's pretty clear, so who cares about who pulls the red jersey on that day?

I know it won't happen, but it should.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Average ticket price won't be anywhere near $175.

More like $90-$100 I would think.
    Really? Even when you factor in the money paid for boxes, and all other prawn seats...? I was going to estimate $100, but that seems low to me.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At $100 revenue would be $2mill.

$2mill has to pay for the grass (did I read somewhere $500k?), Real Madrid's appearance (would they play for under $1mill?) and the standard operation of the stadium (I have no idea what these costs are). Add revenue from merchandise and concessions...I am guessing revenue in the low 6 figures.

Good money, but certainly not worth the risk for me. Then again, I am not an investor in TFC, I am consumer, I don't make the business decisions or the risk assessments for them. All I know is that they could get this revenue from making the playoffs AND they would add to the prestige and reputation of the team in this town.

That won't be accomplished if Real come here and shellack us 6-1.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Keyman View Post
    One would hope that the Academy would play this game. No one is paying to see Toronto FC play, that's pretty clear, so who cares about who pulls the red jersey on that day?

I know it won't happen, but it should.
    I think this part is a subconscious issue for me as well. In our own home, we will have people paying and cheering the other team. It happens in all friendlies, but this game will obviously be particularly egregious.

Our players are going to be massively disappointed in the crowd that day.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The profits earned from a lengthy playoff run would exceed those earned from a single, meaningless friendly game. Why put this potential profit in jeopardy? If MLSE is all about the money, then they should be thinking long term, not short.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? Even when you factor in the money paid for boxes, and all other prawn seats...? I was going to estimate $100, but that seems low to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    At $100 revenue would be $2mill.

$2mill has to pay for the grass (did I read somewhere $500k?), Real Madrid's appearance (would they play for under $1mill?) and the standard operation of the stadium (I have no idea what these costs are). Add revenue from merchandise and concessions...I am guessing revenue in the low 6 figures.

Good money, but certainly not worth the risk for me. Then again, I am not an investor in TFC, I am consumer, I don't make the business decisions or the risk assessments for them. All I know is that they could get this revenue from making the playoffs AND they would add to the prestige and reputation of the team in this town.

That won't be accomplished if Real come here and shellack us 6-1.
    Paul did mention the top end would be close to $200.
    Average would be around $120 then.
    It's not to make money for MLSE on a friendly of Real Madrid's size.
    It's about exposure on so many levels.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    Paul did mention the top end would be close to $200.
    Average would be around $120 then.
    Not all exposure is good exposure. The vast majority of those in attendance would be classified, in my mind, as Eurosnobs. If we haven't captured their attention, and loyalty by this point in time, then a thrashing at the hands of Real Madrid would do nothing but damage the perception of TFC, and MLS, within what is already a relatively untappable market. I'm almost certain that most fans would walk away from the match and say, "wow, that's some shit quality football."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not all exposure is good exposure. The vast majority of those in attendance would be classified, in my mind, as Eurosnobs. If we haven't captured their attention, and loyalty by this point in time, then a thrashing at the hands of Real Madrid would do nothing but damage the perception of TFC, and MLS, within what is already a relatively untappable market. I'm almost certain that most fans would walk away from the match and say, "wow, that's some shit quality football."
    It's not all about only those attending.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need a new thread specifically related to the RPB identity crisis unleashed by this news.

Also maybe a thread for the WAGS of RPB to discuss how they're coping with their RPB mates in this time of turmoil.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should explore this.

What kind of exposure does this bring to TFC?

Will it make TFC more well known in this city?

I doubt it.

Will it make TFC more prestigious/respected in this city?

If we lose by a big margin...nope. Let's hope we win! Anything that resembles a kickabout game will wind up as a wash for the team and the sport. No advantage there.

Will it draw huge TV numbers?

Other games weren't even televised...this one may be. I highly doubt it will draw better than an average TFC game, and probably worse.

Regardless of how many people go to this game, how many watch on TV (if it's televised) and how many people are aware of this game, does this game help showcase Canadian soccer? Or will it highlight our deficiencies? Will it bring in more fans? How so? Will it embarrass the team and cause damage to the name we have been trying to build for the team and the league?

What is this so-called positive exposure I should be aspiring for from this game? Are people who go to this game that probably haven't gone to a TFC game come back to watch TFC, whether it be at the stadium or on TV?

All of these are risks you always take with friendlies anyways. If the team and the league insist on having them...not much I can do. But then when you hose supporters in the process from their promised friendly AND move a fixture date in the process...now you're making foolish decisions.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 05-31-2009 at 07:54 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Need a new thread specifically related to the RPB identity crisis unleashed by this news.

Also maybe a thread for the WAGS of RPB to discuss how they're coping with their RPB mates in this time of turmoil.
    We don't need your shots at this group. Don't like what is being discussed here, nobody is forcing you to be here. Funny how you feel it's ok to use our forum and crap over us on a regular basis. Start your own forum if you want to talk trash about us. Either way, don't do it here.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what it's worth, but the buzz that this is already creating is pretty impressive. A lot of non-soccer people have already approached me about this and it's not even been officially announced.

I'm not a fan of mid-season friendlies, but it's the way the league runs. (And no - I don't think it makes the league look Mickey Mouse, it's just the way it's done). If we want to try and change it, we should - but at the same time, we shouldn't incessantly bitch about it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not all about only those attending.
    Watching? Is that better? It's going to do very little in terms of increasing exposure. Again, a lengthy playoff run would create much more positive exposure within the city, while also inspiring new fans to follow the team. A friendly doesn't have that type of power. Why jeopardize that by throwing your best players on the pitch for an extra game?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We don't need your shots at this group. Don't like what is being discussed here, nobody is forcing you to be here. Funny how you feel it's ok to use our forum and crap over us on a regular basis. Start your own forum if you want to talk trash about us. Either way, don't do it here.
    Roogsy - I don't think he is out of line. I got a bit of a chuckle out of it. Think about the discussion thus far...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    Roogsy - I don't think he is out of line. I got a bit of a chuckle out of it. Think about the discussion thus far...
    You got a chuckle because you agree that our feelings on this matter are silly. Some of us feel strongly about what a stupid idea this is and he is essentially mocking our opinions. I don't appreciate that.

Especially when this doesn't have anything to do with RPB. You and Flush are RPB and are on the opposite side of the point of view. And yet he is classifying the disagreement on this issue as somehow being the RPB position.

He can take his sarcasm elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly, Roogsy.

The point here is to win. Not to play meaningless games. If one of our players gets injured in a meaningful game, well, you have to accept it. But to get injured in a money-grabber is just plain wrong. Unneccessary and ultimately it has negatively affected our team in the past.

I disagree, what are the odds of an injury (don't give me this O'Brian crap)...plus, would TFC play a friendly if they thought they were gonna get injured and jeopardize their regular season?

All I remember is everyone is whining about, oh we can't get decent friendlies, whats up with Pauchua blah blah blah, now you get a chance to see Real Madrid, I would take it in a heart beat!

MLSE/TFC is providing this chance to see a world class team and you don't want it now?

Before you go on harping about MLSE making money bla bla bla...how much do you think its costing them to put on the game...bring Real Madrid, thats a hefty price tag, put on the grass turf

ok rant done

on the side note, i hear the grass will stay for 2 weeks as it is expected there will be another friendly against a european champions league team in the same time period

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    I disagree, what are the odds of an injury (don't give me this O'Brian crap)...plus, would TFC play a friendly if they thought they were gonna get injured and jeopardize their regular season?
    Players can be injured in any game whether it's a league game or a friendly or whatever else.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let me put it this way.

In 3 seasons, I have not gone to a single friendly game. Not one.

I don't believe in them.

Other than pre-season conditioning, friendly games are HORRIBLE ideas in the middle of a season. I have always thought that, and I made my feelings known every season. Especially after the FIRST friendly game when we had injured players come out...namely one very important O'Brien.

Name me one top club in this world that plays friendlies in the middle of the season? And everyone knows why. In the middle of the season, YOU DON'T ADD UNNECESSARY GAMES!

And the injury argument is not irrelevant. Nor can it be dismissed so easily. EVERY game is a game where you risk injuring one or more players. But when those games count...it's a risk you take. What argument is there to take that risk when the games are meaningless? Just one. Money.

And I don't buy the "exposure" argument. There is one thing that is necessary for this team to gain the exposure we all want for it. Winning. Playoffs. Success. None of this is addressed by bringing Madrid to town.

The entire supporting RM argument is one of being star struck by their massiveness. It's not a position I buy into. I could care less of how big they are. And if I could care less...I am guessing there are others as well. So much for "exposure".
    Well at least you have kept true to your words from day one... in regards to the "exposure"

Look at the DC United Model... Winning hardware after hardware and having the best supporters in the league at times does not do anything towards your "exposure" versus the other major sports...

This soccer thing is one that is watched by a minority few here in North America... yes it's growing... but Winning and having the best supporters at times means nada...
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    don't give me this O'Brian crap
    Exactly. Ignore the very valid point that does not agree with you because we're all too star struck with the size of Real Madrid's balls to care whether there is this risk or not. Who cares that there is evidence that it actually happens?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should explore this.

What kind of exposure does this bring to TFC?

Will it make TFC more well known in this city?

I doubt it.

Will it make TFC more prestigious/respected in this city?

If we lose by a big margin...nope. Let's hope we win! Anything that resembles a kickabout game will wind up as a wash for the team and the sport. No advantage there.

Will it draw huge TV numbers?

Other games weren't even televised...this one may be. I highly doubt it will draw better than an average TFC game, and probably worse.

Regardless of how many people go to this game, how many watch on TV (if it's televised) and how many people are aware of this game, does this game help showcase Canadian soccer? Or will it highlight our deficiencies? Will it bring in more fans? How so? Will it embarrass the team and cause damage to the name we have been trying to build for the team and the league?

What is this so-called positive exposure I should be aspiring for from this game? Are people who go to this game that probably haven't gone to a TFC game come back to watch TFC, whether it be at the stadium or on TV?

All of these are risks you always take with friendlies anyways. If the team and the league insist on having them...not much I can do. But then when you hose supporters in the process from their promised friendly AND move a fixture date in the process...now you're making foolish decisions.
    I have to do errands... so I can't answer this but:

Breakdown the DC United model... they've done everything right and then some... and still they can't win over the city... If that's happening in DCU then what about the rest of the league...

Someone please tell me what DCU is doing wrong?
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    Well at least you have kept true to your words from day one... in regards to the "exposure"

Look at the DC United Model... Winning hardware after hardware and having the best supporters in the league at times does not do anything towards your "exposure" versus the other major sports...

This soccer thing is one that is watched by a minority few here in North America... yes it's growing... but Winning and having the best supporters at times means nada...

Actually your point of DC United proves the exact opposite.

DC United has had the strongest attendance in MLS for years. Why? Because of their winning ways.

Their attendance started declining in the last couple of years because of a) they haven't won the MLS Cup in a while, which in fact proves our point and b) they have been playing out of RFK for so long and can't resolve their stadium situation to the point where there is even talk about moving the team! As we all know with the Expos, that is an attendance killer all on it's own.

But it doesn't change the fact that their league-leading attendance numbers had nothing to do with friendlies. It is unfortunate you pulled out that example Flush...it completely does the opposite to your point than what you wanted.

And that does nothing to prove that playing Real Madrid here will help boost TFC's TV ratings or attendance numbers (not that we need it) in the long term.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 05-31-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    I have to do errands... so I can't answer this but:

Breakdown the DC United model... they've done everything right and then some... and still they can't win over the city... If that's happening in DCU then what about the rest of the league...

Someone please tell me what DCU is doing wrong?
    Nothing. Their situation is one of city council unwillingness to work with team ownership. Do you think theirs is a problem that will be solved with bringing in Chelsea in a friendly? Probably not...so it's not their winning ways that is the problem.

Really Flush...it's surprising you are breaking out the DCU argument.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The profits earned from a lengthy playoff run would exceed those earned from a single, meaningless friendly game. Why put this potential profit in jeopardy? If MLSE is all about the money, then they should be thinking long term, not short.

A lenghty playoff run? did you see how we played last night? we were shite...forget the playoffs this season.. and continue to build the squad for a playoff run next season..

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    A lenghty playoff run? did you see how we played last night? we were shite...forget the playoffs this season.. and continue to build the squad for a playoff run next season..
    Shoot...wave the white flag! Excellent!

In that case, bring on Real Madrid!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoot...wave the white flag! Excellent!

In that case, bring on Real Madrid!
    a team that gives up 3 goals in 3 minutes should not even be thinking playoffs bit who to select first overall in the MLS superdraft!! Real Madrid would bring in quality that BMO as yet to see in their 3 year history...
    and most likely be the biggest game for TFC this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Players can get injured at any point, doing anything, it is just down to luck. I would say the odds of one of the players getting injured in the match is slim and not something to worry about. I have seen many friendlies in my time and it would be rare for me to ever see someone sustain a bad injury during these kind of matches, outside of O'Brian I can only think of John Kennedy but that was due to a very malicious tackle from a nut job of a player. Real Madrid are not exactly the kind of team who are full of hatchet men, it is very likely that they would dominate possession so I couldn't imagine them having to tackle much, this would limit the chance of a TFC player being injured. The match wont be played as a proper competitve match either so there would be no reason for players to be busting a gut to get to every 50 - 50 ball, again this would limit the chances of injury. I would be very surprised, nay amazed if Toronto FC suffered an injury during this match that inadvertidly affected their chances of a play off place, I just don't think it is likely. Short of wrapping your players in cotton wool injuries are just down to chance.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was taking the piss. I don't think all the facts are in, and I think a lot of people are reacting in almost absurd fashion. Wasn't pointing fingers at anyone in particular.

You're a moderator. I'd be completely fine with it if you banned me. I assure you. Do whatever you have to do.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a team that gives up 3 goals in 3 minutes should not even be thinking playoffs bit who to select first overall in the MLS superdraft!! Real Madrid would bring in quality that BMO as yet to see in their 3 year history...
    and most likely be the biggest game for TFC this season.
    An utterly meaningless, pointless bullshit game.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan69 View Post
    An utterly meaningless, pointless bullshit game.
    maybe..but more important for some then the Canadian championship matches that are currently taking place..im mean playing Real Madrid
    as opposed to Montreal and vancouver...a hard choice to make at the
    end of the day isn;t it!! Real!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe..but more important for some then the Canadian championship matches that are currently taking place..im mean playing Real Madrid
    as opposed to Montreal and vancouver...a hard choice to make at the
    end of the day isn;t it!! Real!!
    A tournament where we can actually win something vs. a pointless friendly. I certainly know which one interests me the most.