Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by .J.B. View Post
    Forgot to mention he is a REAL footballer. not a washed up, relegation battle premiership team drop-out, or a young gun who has proven himself in Rhode Island??, or nobodies from South and Central America... he would never play on the turf, I thikn that is the end of story
    You just made me want to puke.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBlades View Post
    96k of which magically turn Brazillian every four years

HA HA HA

sad part is with the way team portugal is playing we are gonna be cheering for brasil for the very begining.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was old seven years ago...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We founded Brazil, we speak the same language. Hundreds of years ago, over a million Portuguese immigrated there where their offspring has multiplied exponentially. You can see that the average Brazilian has Portuguese blood running through his/her vains.

We go for them if we don't make it because they are our cousins. Our cultures are similar. Social fabric is somewhat integrated through media outlets such as music, television and film. (considering the few countries that speak Portuguese share media)

Don't be jealous just because we have a sister country that we can go for while you don't.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    That guy you quoted was right.
    Last edited by K1nG; 05-21-2009 at 07:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by K1nG View Post
    We founded Brazil, we speak the same language. Hundreds of years ago, over a million Portuguese immigrated there where their offspring has multiplied exponentially. You can see that the average Brazilian has Portuguese blood running through his/her vains.

We go for them if we don't make it because they are our cousins. Our cultures are similar. Social fabric is somewhat integrated through media outlets such as music, television and film. (considering the few countries that speak Portuguese share media)

Don't be jealous just because we have a sister country that we can go for while you don't.
    As someone of Portuguese descent, I can't help but feel embarrassed when I hear people trying to use this to justify stupidity that USED to be shown by the Portuguese. The chops with the Brazilian flags generally weren't the ones with little ties to Brazil, its the motherfuckers who needed a team to cheer for, so given the circumstances, why not cheer for the best team in the world at the time?

The Spanish wouldn't have enough windows to fly their "sister" countries' flags.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    As someone of Portuguese descent, I can't help but feel embarrassed when I hear people trying to use this to justify stupidity that USED to be shown by the Portuguese. The chops with the Brazilian flags generally weren't the ones with little ties to Brazil, its the motherfuckers who needed a team to cheer for, so given the circumstances, why not cheer for the best team in the world at the time?

The Spanish wouldn't have enough windows to fly their "sister" countries' flags.
    Many years ago my grandfather, through the brokerage of a distant family member who immigrated to Brazil from Portugal invested in a section of forest. My father, mother and other family members lived there temporaily. My father and uncles were working and keeping track of the work, keeping an eye on the lumberjacks etc. During that time I was born, few months later returned to Portugal. That is a prime example of how the networking between the millions of Portuguese in Brazil and Portugal bring the two nations together. Tis no different that Canadians of British decent going for England in the WC or Euro. If not Brazil, then who should we go for? And your Spain arguement is irrelevant as it contrasts from my point of Portugal and Brazil being sister nations. As opposed to Spain who has no significant interaction with Spanish speaking countries in particular since they are so abundant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ignorant comment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The funny thing is no one in my family ever cheered for Brazil. We cheered against having to put up with our Italian co-workers if they won.

Also - this thread is about a 1 time footballer of the world coming to MLS. Not a debate about being Portuguezer.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    The funny thing is no one in my family ever cheered for Brazil. We cheered against having to put up with our Italian co-workers if they won.

Also - this thread is about a 1 time footballer of the world coming to MLS. Not a debate about being Portuguezer.
    Yes that is true. I am for Figo coming to Toronto if he wants. I'd rather the DP be a striker. But if it must me a midfielder, he would work wonders with DeRo. Help spread the field out which seems to be our problem this year. Maybe mentor Vitti or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by K1nG View Post

Albeit very little. Brazil also has 24 Million Italian-Brazilians, about 12 million Arab-Brazilians, 15 Million Spanish-Brazilians, 13 million Afro-Brazilians. Brazil is not solely Portuguese.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes but at least 50% of the Brazilian paternal ancestry is of Portuguese origin. I got this from the same Wikipedia page you did. How is that very little?

Can we pls stay on topic - FIGO?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makes a lot of sense. I'm convinced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't mean to stir the pot here, but I do
    How could people on the board see him going to NE? NE plays of Field Turf, and people seem to feel that Field turf means no DP will play for the team.

If he does come to MLS I'm kinda worried of the Pele factor, aging stars is not good for the leagues image internationally

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we surround the pitch in wrought iron and clean up the red brick facade I'm sure figo will come. Also putting churrasquiera on the menu at BMO won't hurt.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    don't mean to stir the pot here, but I do
    How could people on the board see him going to NE? NE plays of Field Turf, and people seem to feel that Field turf means no DP will play for the team.

If he does come to MLS I'm kinda worried of the Pele factor, aging stars is not good for the leagues image internationally
    Toronto and NE have turf.
    NE has more Portuguese and is in America.
    We know Canada is just plain better but does he.

Aging stars is what tier 2 leagues do. We are trying to become considered tier 2. It's not shameful to Turkey why should it be to us? This slow build of home grown talent can be sprinkled with aged veterans from bigger leagues in IMO.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on who is wife is, I think the only North American cities he would go to are NY or LA. Maybe Miami would be on the list too, if they had a team.

http://www.forum-for-football.com/so...ife-soccer.php
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did it feel good? that's all that matters

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll pass! Judas can keep on looking...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Albeit very little. Brazil also has 24 Million Italian-Brazilians, about 12 million Arab-Brazilians, 15 Million Spanish-Brazilians, 13 million Afro-Brazilians. Brazil is not solely Portuguese.
    next time you wiki-research you should read the article in its entirety. Over 50% is considered a lot to most people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by .J.B. View Post
    sell the farm.. win or lose we get to see a FIFA World Player of the year 2000 + 2001, there are maybe only 30 guys alive in the world who can claim that honor.
    hm - I'm pretty sure the World Player of the Year award both in 2000 AND 2001 was given out only to one person, not "maybe 30", lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squarehead View Post
    hm - I'm pretty sure the World Player of the Year award both in 2000 AND 2001 was given out only to one person, not "maybe 30", lol
    Opticians for You on Monday mate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The culture, food, and languages are similar.
    Also if you havn't noticed in Toronto where there is a portuguese community there are also Brazillians and Angolans living in close proximity.