0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC reserves beat UofT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that Cummins realizes that it's important for his bench players to get minutes. He may not need to use them yet but he'll want them to be match fit if he does need them later in the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had a soccer at UofT?

Man you miss alot when your cough "studying" coough

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder which team Gabe Gala played for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m surprised, though pleased to see, that academy players and the reserves are allowed to play on the same team - I though this would be in violation of NCAA rules which prohibits amateurs from playing with pros. I assume the fact that the game was friendly / training match makes a difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
    I’m surprised, though pleased to see, that academy players and the reserves are allowed to play on the same team - I though this would be in violation of NCAA rules which prohibits amateurs from playing with pros. I assume the fact that the game was friendly / training match makes a difference.
    U of T isnt NCAA, and NCAA has no rule like that because universities play spring training games against MLB teams in baseball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NCAA prohibits amateurs BEING pros, not playing with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the NCAA rules are a little more nuanced that than. An academy player would lose his NCAA eligibility if he appeared for TFC in a regular season game as part of the first team wether he was being payed or not.

In terms of NCAA eligibility rules, amateurs can play against pros, but I think there are only limited circumstances in which they can play with pros.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    NCAA prohibits amateurs BEING pros, not playing with them.
    Wrong. If you play on a team with Pros you cannot play NCAA. Example Whitecaps Residency players cannot go to University.

You can play against pros just not with them. So other PDL teams players can still play NCAA but Whitecaps Residency players cannot.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nah. as someone who plays by these rules id know.

every year you play pro, takes one year off your NCAA eligibility. you get 4 years of eligibility and 5 in canada. so technically you could play 3 years for bayern and then one for man u and then play a season for brock, but only one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    nah. as someone who plays by these rules id know.

every year you play pro, takes one year off your NCAA eligibility. you get 4 years of eligibility and 5 in canada. so technically you could play 3 years for bayern and then one for man u and then play a season for brock, but only one.
    Thats absolutely untrue in every way because York got in shit for having Andrea Lombardo play for them after he played for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a friend that used to scout for University Level, we actually had a conversation about this via email a few weeks ago, so I dug back through the emails for his explanations

"CIS rules are all over the place depending on the sport. For soccer and I believe hockey you are allowed to be on a development team just not allowed to PLAY on a professional team. Nana was there in 2007 and played for york. I'm guessing he made the team so he got put on eligibility etc. but then never actually played once he played for the TFC so they put him on "injury" or "transfer". It's essentially like red shirting the year. Nana gets to keep a year of eligibility however since he was on an active roster he can't play for another university until 2010 so they keep him around. Win for both of them. As a side note you can't play until 1 year after the date of your last pro game. That means Lombardo is good to go for whatever school he wants to play for next year. "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    Thats absolutely untrue in every way because York got in shit for having Andrea Lombardo play for them after he played for TFC.
    York got screwed because Lombardo didnt wait the full year before playing for them, had he waited the full year it would have been fine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But the MLS academy rules are based upon NCAA eligibility not CIS eligibility. Got to be an apples and oranges situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But the MLS academy rules are based upon NCAA eligibility not CIS eligibility. Got to be an apples and oranges situation.
    Anyone have a link to clarify?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryencoke View Post
    York got screwed because Lombardo didnt wait the full year before playing for them, had he waited the full year it would have been fine
    I've been told that mistakes were made on both sides, and that Andrea was told that he was eligible by the University/CIS staff. How is he to know better than the guys responsible for the team and/or rules?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sulfur View Post
    I've been told that mistakes were made on both sides, and that Andrea was told that he was eligible by the University/CIS staff. How is he to know better than the guys responsible for the team and/or rules?
    Ya I felt sorry for Lombardo. It was totally the responsibility of James and Isacco.

They screwed not only Lombardo, they screwed the team and the university and I'm surprised at least one head didn't roll over it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The infamous Killian Elkinson plays for U of T.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the score on the website is wrong.....anyone can confirm the actual score?
    Last edited by Nuvinho; 05-19-2009 at 10:28 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    dont fucking call him infamous. doesnt have a bad bone in his body.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    you dont know what the fuck youre talking about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by menefreghista View Post
    This is correct, in the OUA East Semi Finals against Laurentian, him and Gabe Gala made their first appearances all season for UofT, a combination of good set ups by Gala and piss poor officiating by this ref that looks just like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdGlE5id_NA) and this is no joke, allowed UofT to advance 2-1 and into the cross over.

As for the rulings...NCAA rulings state that once you get paid as a professional athlete, take any sort of endorsements, you lose your eligibility. The CIS, I am not too certain, I know in Lombardo's case, York got a really good deal. Almost all the coaches were on the same page, wait til York is almost done the season, then put in a formal complaint about Lombardo...for whatever reason, the RMC coach (who never had to play York), put in a complaint after York's 4th game...had they waited until York would have had to forfeit enough games not to make the playoffs...that would have been funny. The rule is, if you have played for a professional team, then you have sat out for 1 year. Lombardo played in the 2008 TFC season (I believe), which made him inelgible, but Gala, Kilian, and Nana never did play so they were eligiable.

Does anyone know if Gala played for the reserves or UofT???

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you dont know what the fuck youre talking about.
    Really... do you need to start swearing like that in a civil discussion?

Compiled with the content of your response, it really adds nothing to the points at hand.

To address your points:

Infamous generally means "having a bad reputation"... well, in TFC context perhaps he does. He may be a nice kid, but he certainly isn't famous. My bet is that the person thought that "infamous" might mean more or less the opposite of "famous" (which he certainly isn't), or merely famous within a certain sector of the population, which is what most people seem to believe that "infamous" means nowadays.

Secondly, the points about York and Lombardo were dealt with in a civil manner earlier. And yes, the "deal" should never have been struck. The coach that spoke up about it and complained was well within his rights to do so, especially as it contravenes the rules set out and agreed upon. If you make an exception for one guy, what's to say that Ryerson can't have De Rosario go back to school this fall and have him play on their roster? Yes, because of what happened, the coaches of York should've been taken to task, unless someone higher up took responsibility for the incident.

That little trick essentially cost York their entire 2008 men's soccer season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that would be awesome if a pro goes back to school and can play. At least it would give good reason to go back to school (which many of these guys need once they retire)

I dont see why not, any student should have the same rights as the next student.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a student, they have the same rights. Athletically, they do not. The same (well, similar) practice goes for the CSA in that if you've played professionally, you have to apply to return to amateur status, and it requires (I think) about a year of no professional play to do so.

The whole idea is so that you don't bring in ringers that were ex-pros.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't be such a little douchebag. Did I insult your boyfriend?

I meant no ill-will at all towards Elkinson. Maybe a better word to use would have been 'elusive'. Of course, you are such a whiny suck even that will probably upset you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ yah, but you still need to be a student to play for UofT , no?

I say you pay to study, your paying to play.
    That should keep the ringers out on its own.

not like you win any money at the end, nor can you be drafted.

It all falls under the tuition bill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To clarify a lot of the misconceptions in this thread:

1. A professional player must wait 1 year and not play professional in that year before being eligible for CIS (Lombardo didnt wait 1 year), any player that has suited up for TFC is not eligible for NCAA Division 1, but possibly Division 2 or 3 or Junior Colleges in the States.

2. The TFC players that play in the CIS i.e. Gala, Attakora, and the others, can play CIS, because although on a professional team are not designated as professional players, they are Development players under MLS rules and so their salary is as well. Lombardo in 2008 was upgraded to the Senior Roster and his salary adjusted accordingly, had he stayed on the Development roster, York would not have had to forfeit the 4 games they did in the CIS 2008 season & he would have been able to play without waiting a year. Lombardo assuming he is not playing professional anywhere is likely eligible for CIS 2009.

3. Whitecaps Residency players can go to University and probably even play in the CIS. Residency players as I understand are similar to all other PDL programs as their housing/accomodation is taken care of as is school, no rule against this. If this is the case for the Caps' then they are like the Fury, & Lynx and their players are still eligible to play in the CIS.

4. The rule for every year of professional ball taking away a year of CIS was in regards to former CPSL players. Now for CSL players it depends on the whether you are on a professional or amateur contract and this goes for NCAA as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sulfur View Post
    Really... do you need to start swearing like that in a civil discussion?

Compiled with the content of your response, it really adds nothing to the points at hand.

To address your points:

Infamous generally means "having a bad reputation"... well, in TFC context perhaps he does. He may be a nice kid, but he certainly isn't famous. My bet is that the person thought that "infamous" might mean more or less the opposite of "famous" (which he certainly isn't), or merely famous within a certain sector of the population, which is what most people seem to believe that "infamous" means nowadays.

Secondly, the points about York and Lombardo were dealt with in a civil manner earlier. And yes, the "deal" should never have been struck. The coach that spoke up about it and complained was well within his rights to do so, especially as it contravenes the rules set out and agreed upon. If you make an exception for one guy, what's to say that Ryerson can't have De Rosario go back to school this fall and have him play on their roster? Yes, because of what happened, the coaches of York should've been taken to task, unless someone higher up took responsibility for the incident.

That little trick essentially cost York their entire 2008 men's soccer season.
    Yea I honestly dont think York U was trying to pull a fast one, everyone knows who the TFC players are. York finished #1 in Canada even without him. Lombardo wouldve been eligible had he not been promoted to the Senior roster. The CIS rules regarding semi-professionals and pros are very complex. It was just an honest mistake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was there an exact line up put out?
    because i want to know what academy players got the chance to play with some first team players