Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ronnie O’Brien Hurt again

Indeed, another obstacle will be the loss of O’Brien, the regular right midfielder, at least in a starting capacity, for their upcoming game in Utah against Real Salt Lake. O’Brien has a balky right knee and hasn’t been able to finish a game since April 27th, a 2-0 loss at New York to the Red Bulls. Real Salt Lake plays on artificial turf, notoriously tough on knees, so youngster Shea Salinas will make his first start of the year in his place

Boy O Boy Mo did a great job on getting this guy out of town before it was to late.

Poor Earthquakes get stuck with this guy and in return we got SOME SERIOUS ALLOCATION and Their 1st Rounder.

WOO HOO

COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its sad to see Ronnie hurt... Great guy, and wonderful player...

But, we're in the business of winning, so you're right, Mo did a great job getting a great deal for a player that is injury prone...

I wish him the best (except against us)...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, shame for O'Brien, he's a good guy. But I think the remaining Mo haters who haven't yet stepped up and said: "Yes, we were wrong about Mo" should do so now.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gIAMBAC apologizes

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to mention that Ronni O' wanted to go because of the Turf.

How many people said that Mo was an idiot for trading him? LOTS!! (until Guevara, Robert, and Ricketts came in and people began to see the plan).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear that about Ronnie who is a great guy and a great player, but it does underscore what a shrewd move Mo made there. Can you imagine if we had hung our attacking hopes on Ronnie again this year?
    This Mo/Carver combo is definitley the best improvement TFC made this year. Mo gets the pieces in place and Carver makes them play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Ronnie wanted out as soon as his surgeon told him to stay off the fieldturf wuth that dodgy knee.

Just theorising, but Im pretty sure Ronnie initiated his own move, rather than Mo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He probably did, but I'm still pleased with Mo for getting what he got. It would have been easy to 'let him go' but Mo negotiated a favourable deal for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I loved Ronnie O last year, but the trade with SJ is looking better and better with each passing week. The looming #1 draft pick overall is going to be sweet given MoJo's draft history...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

god, remember the outcry on the old board when Ronnie was traded???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ManU4ever View Post
    I loved Ronnie O last year, but the trade with SJ is looking better and better with each passing week. The looming #1 draft pick overall is going to be sweet given MoJo's draft history...
    It will be #2 draft pick since first pick goes to Seattle. But I hope Seattle doesn't draft O'Brien White though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ronnie was a class act and in the buiz of sports winning is what it is all about, so moving a player who has injury issues like Ronnie was a good move, I hope for his sake though he does get healthy.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    god, remember the outcry on the old board when Ronnie was traded???
    I think that had a lot to do with the fact we had nobody to replace him with at the time.

The terms of the deal were favorable for TFC imo, it's just we had nothing in the playmaking spot and completely sucked offensively until the new signings came.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC07 View Post
    It will be #2 draft pick since first pick goes to Seattle. But I hope Seattle doesn't draft O'Brien White though.
    If they do, O Brien White could always do what Nate Jaqua did, which was refuse to play for the team who has drafted you, cry about it until the coach relents and trades you to the city you want to go to, for fuckall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SJ is screwed. We win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I think that had a lot to do with the fact we had nobody to replace him with at the time.
    Ya, no wonder -- we traded a guy and we were a month or so from playing real games.
    I could understand the outcry if it was during the season, but it was preseason.

At the time I said "look people, we have lots of time until the season starts, and no way would Mo get an allocation, PLUS clearing Ronnie's cap space, and not sign somebody good to replace him."

which is why I thought the outcry was stupid at the time. It was like people didn't think about the context of the trade. They just think "OH TRADE! BOO HOO!"

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was one of the Mo haters.

It just seems like everything has fallen into place for toronto.

THANK GOD.

Could u imagine playing all these big games with a shit team...

SWEET

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which is why I thought the outcry was stupid at the time. It was like people didn't think about the context of the trade. They just think "OH TRADE! BOO HOO!"
    I think most people here didn't realize how the dealing process that goes on in MLS. If Mo had signed Guevara before trading O'Brien, there wouldn't have been complaints. But Mo wouldn't have gotten anything for him either, because San Jose would have seen a salary dump coming.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya, no wonder -- we traded a guy and we were a month or so from playing real games.
    I could understand the outcry if it was during the season, but it was preseason.

At the time I said "look people, we have lots of time until the season starts, and no way would Mo get an allocation, PLUS clearing Ronnie's cap space, and not sign somebody good to replace him."

You do remember the point where we actually started the season and we had basically no offense for the first three games right?

Forget that though. The terms of the trade were awsome. We gave up the equivalent of a 250k player, we got his cap space plus a full allocation (that's like what an extra 100k) and a draft pick. We completely killed them, it just sucked in the short term.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 06-01-2008 at 02:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In all honesty, I totally forgot about O'Brien!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    I think Ronnie wanted out as soon as his surgeon told him to stay off the fieldturf wuth that dodgy knee.

Just theorising, but Im pretty sure Ronnie initiated his own move, rather than Mo.
    Mo has said that publicly
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”