Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jarrod Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jarrod is quickly turning into our secret weapon, and I think he's perfect coming on off the bench. That just confuses the hell out of the opposing team. You just don't expect a player this good to come off the bench in this league. All he's missing is finishing so that's something that the coaches should help him with. Ball control, pace, positioning, anticipation, etc, etc he's got it. This guy has be a real treat to watch.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
    Jarrod is quickly turning into our secret weapon, and I think he's perfect coming on off the bench. That just confuses the hell out of the opposing team. You just don't expect a player this good to come off the bench in this league. All he's missing is finishing so that's something that the coaches should help him with. Ball control, pace, positioning, anticipation, etc, etc he's got it. This guy has be a real treat to watch.
    I disagree with Flush. He doesn't deserve to start yet if everyone is healthy. But he will get a lot of starts over the next few months with everyone away for the various international matches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zeelaw View Post
    He's great... but had a HORRIBLE miss on that finish lol... hes a very dynamic player.. i dunno where to play him
    Just lack of confidence on the miss, he'll get it together with more playing time. In my mind, scoring with the foot is a bigger confidence boost than scoring off of the head. I do like the way Smith is fitting in.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like him, wouldn't mind seeing more finish from him though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Just lack of confidence on the miss, he'll get it together with more playing time. In my mind, scoring with the foot is a bigger confidence boost than scoring off of the head. I do like the way Smith is fitting in.
    Actually, I'd say over-programming. Every ncaa-developed player I see tries to pick the lower corner every time, which is all well and good when you're coming in with an angle on the keeper. But just watch the average MLS game and watch how many times players roll it just wide (a cunny specialty, too, and in recent weeks, Ante Razov, Landycakes, Seth Stammler, Sash Klejstan etc etc .

If he'd just waited until Cronin had started to go down then rolled it straight ahead it was a guaranteed goal.

In fact, every breakaway should be a dead certain goal at least 80% of hte time, and it's that lack of technical acumen that sets MLS below a lot of other leagues; its strengths tend to lie in its intensity, work-rate and discipline, which are typical American sporting characteristics. But you won't see too many strikers above League two missing chances like that one or a ton of others that get muffed weekly in MLS. Ditto with the South American and African leagues. I think when soccer is part of the sporting culture for decades and decades, you learn very young that a gift is not to be overlooked in a sport that averages 1.6 goals per game.

EDit: Oh, and it's also worth noting that SMith had a 1-2 strike rate in college, a 1-2 strike rate in the New Zealand league last year. So maybe he just got a tad overexcited.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marco2K View Post
    Please dont Compare Jarrod Smith with Lombardo.

Poor Lombardo is not qualifed to be TFC's H2O Technician.
    Funny...at the start of last season, people were saying the same things about Lombardo that they're saying about Smith now.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    Funny...at the start of last season, people were saying the same things about Lombardo that they're saying about Smith now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Really? I don't recall that.

I think Smith just closed the door on Lombardo ever playing for the senior team again. Ever.
    The difference between Lombardo and Smith is that he has stepped up and actually scored. Lombardo had tons of minutes and did squat.

I agree with Whoopee, we will probably never see Lombardo play again. Now he is behind Dichio, Cunny, Smith and Guevara for one of two spots up front.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    Really? I don't recall that.

I think Smith just closed the door on Lombardo ever playing for the senior team again. Ever.
    Why are we being so harsh on a young player?

I'd love to see Lombardo eventually succeed.

He seems to be progressing and scoring at the reserve level which is a positive sign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by a.ungaro View Post
    start him for dichio and put dichio in later... or other way around

I would like him to come in for Dichio, Cunny if needed can come in for guevarra. I think that he has the tools of a stiker. He just misse a goal on Saturday give him a brake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LucaGol View Post

He seems to be progressing and scoring at the reserve level which is a positive sign.
    I like Lombardo in that he works hard, but if he ever comes into a game again he needs to score and do it quickly, he would be lucky as it is to get one more chance.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio hurt, Cunny may go. Smith will get time even if they acquire a DP striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    I like Lombardo in that he works hard, but if he ever comes into a game again he needs to score and do it quickly, he would be lucky as it is to get one more chance.
    If Lombardo wasn't Canadian, would everyone still like him. l doubt it.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LucaGol View Post

I would love to see a local kid make it but we also watched him squander chances and do nothing last season. As I said in a previous post, he should have gone to the NCAA instead of taking a paycheck at TFC. His long term prospects would have been better than they are now playing in the reserves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper View Post
    I would love to see a local kid make it but we also watched him squander chances and do nothing last season. As I said in a previous post, he should have gone to the NCAA instead of taking a paycheck at TFC. His long term prospects would have been better than they are now playing in the reserves.
    Andrea Lombardo was the product of a poor team imo.

I'd rather see him playing than Jeff Cunningham tbh.