Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Marcus Hahnemann released by Reading - Coming back to MLS??

As Championship side Reading has crashed out of the playoffs for promotion back to the Premiership, they have released American goalkeeper Marcus Hahnemann. This is a quality American goalkeeper who now can essentially come back to MLS on a free transfer I assume if his contract is being bought out. There are clubs out there, DC United comes immediately to mind, that need to upgrade their goaltending.

I think now is the time to start looking at entertaining offers for either Greg Sutton or Brian Edwards from other MLS sides. Frei is our number one and I think he has definitely our first pick going forward. Sutton makes 165k I believe and Edwards makes 48K. Frei is getting 108K on a Generation Adidas contract that does not count against the cap.

We are a player short of a full roster and have three goaltenders.

Anybody agree that now is the time go trade a goalie??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    Anybody agree that now is the time go trade a goalie??
    It completely depends on how good an offer we get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think that there's much interest in Sutton at his salary and international status. We need a back-up, and I don't think that here are any better guys at a reasonable salary than what Edwards already gives us. What we need (and I don't think that Edwards or Sutton is the answer) is a keeper for the future because I don't think that Frei will be in the MLS for very long.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure I understand. What does the release of an American keeper in the championship have to do with our timing as to the trading of our keepers? Wouldn't this be a bad time as Hahnemann adds to options a team would have, meaning we may not get as good a deal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I don't think that there's much interest in Sutton at his salary and international status. We need a back-up, and I don't think that here are any better guys at a reasonable salary than what Edwards already gives us. What we need (and I don't think that Edwards or Sutton is the answer) is a keeper for the future because I don't think that Frei will be in the MLS for very long.
    I don't know how we would find a keeper for the future if it isn't Frei. What are we supposed to be looking for? Young keepers who are not that good? I don't think thats the correct way of going about your business in any league ... even if you figure your top talent is going to get poached sooner or later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what kind of keep do you want or do you think is a keeper of the future in MLS?

If you are looking for someone to be just a solid MLS goalie but not good enough to ever go anywhere else I would argue Edwards is the guy. He's young enough with a small enough salary right now to hold onto. He looked good enough when he played last season.

I don't think that this is the kind of player you target though. If you want to succeed you get the best player you can. Bottom line if Frei gives us 3,4 or 5 very good years that is more than anyone can ask for or expect.

That's the way this sport is. Young high quality players don't stay on one team for long. Until Frei actually says he's gone he is the goalie of the future and the present.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take Sutton for a bag of laundry if we could dump his salary, free up some space

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marcus ain’t gonna come to a team that wants to make him their reserve keeper. Starting him would be a slap in Frei’s face at the same time. I’ll pass thanks.

Leaving England’s second division for MLS isn’t reflective of Hahnemann’s decline. He’ll likely entertain offers from third and fourth tiered clubs/leagues before settling for MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I don't know how we would find a keeper for the future if it isn't Frei. What are we supposed to be looking for? Young keepers who are not that good? I don't think thats the correct way of going about your business in any league ... even if you figure your top talent is going to get poached sooner or later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stouffville_RPB View Post
    So what kind of keep do you want or do you think is a keeper of the future in MLS?

If you are looking for someone to be just a solid MLS goalie but not good enough to ever go anywhere else I would argue Edwards is the guy. He's young enough with a small enough salary right now to hold onto. He looked good enough when he played last season.

I don't think that this is the kind of player you target though. If you want to succeed you get the best player you can. Bottom line if Frei gives us 3,4 or 5 very good years that is more than anyone can ask for or expect.

That's the way this sport is. Young high quality players don't stay on one team for long. Until Frei actually says he's gone he is the goalie of the future and the present.
    The keeper wouldn't habe to be young, he could be 25-30. I think Frei is going to leave sooner rather than later. What we need is someone who is good enough to be a regular in the MLS but is either too old or not quite good enough to be considering Europe. Basically, a Greg Sutton kind of player (but on a much lower salary).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The keeper wouldn't habe to be young, he could be 25-30. I think Frei is going to leave sooner rather than later. What we need is someone who is good enough to be a regular in the MLS but is either too old or not quite good enough to be considering Europe. Basically, a Greg Sutton kind of player (but on a much lower salary).
    Now if only we had a guy like that on our roster
    We should just renegotiate his contract I'm sure he sees that Frei's going to be gone soon he may not mind biding his time until then, anyone know how many years he has left on his contract?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T_Mizz View Post
    Now if only we had a guy like that on our roster
    We should just renegotiate his contract I'm sure he sees that Frei's going to be gone soon he may not mind biding his time until then, anyone know how many years he has left on his contract?
    No need for the sarcastic eye roll, the obvious qualifier was "on a much lower salary".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No need for the sarcastic eye roll, the obvious qualifier was "on a much lower salary".
    Sorry mandidn't mean it against you I just meant that the obvious choice would be to first approach Sutts about renegotiation