Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Funny thing I read this morning...

"We did enough for a tie, but not enough for a win," said head coach John Limniatis.

I'm sure some of you have seen this, but I got a kick out of his optimism. On the Impact site this morning.... what match was he watching?

Could have been 4-nil or 5-nil if we'd finished better or pen calls had gone our way.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's an Impact Apologist.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BUT.....he's right. 1 goal leads are dangerous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post
    True, and I was grinding my teeth at the end, but they definitely didn't do enough to earn anything. We did enough to earn a win, and at least a tie, but they deserved nothing but a clear loss with their performance.

It was funny how in the pregame interview he was talking about having different form in the cup match than how they've been in the league.. living in the past.

It was so nice to see TFC passing and holding possession for long periods. Amazing match - except yeah 1 goal leads are dangerous.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh and btw, I LOVED the [USL 4 LIFE] banner!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if Limniatis thinks they played well enough to get a tie he's lying to himself.

in a mathematical sense, it was close.. of course. But his team did basically nothing out there.
    They looked like they were playing with 10 men before the sending off.
    There was a time in the second half when I was getting BORED because the Limp Act weren't putting up any fight at all. TFC had possession for ever.

But did you guys ever really feel worried that we were gonna lose that 1-0 lead? I didn't, cept maybe for a corner at the end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The offside goal scared me a wee bit, but beyond that it was a comfortable match.

Last edited by Shep; 05-14-2009 at 08:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    But did you guys ever really feel worried that we were gonna lose that 1-0 lead? I didn't, cept maybe for a corner at the end.
    Hey, I'm thrilled for the win, but yes, I was worried we'd end up with a tie against a 10-man USL team because we didn't put the game away and as usual, we looked to be scrambling at the end.

There was a moment when Guevara had the ball taken away from him that it looked like DC all over again, but then he went and got it back. Nice to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Hey, I'm thrilled for the win, but yes, I was worried we'd end up with a tie against a 10-man USL team because we didn't put the game away and as usual, we looked to be scrambling at the end.

There was a moment when Guevara had the ball taken away from him that it looked like DC all over again, but then he went and got it back. Nice to see.
    But that's your own attitude based on being up only 1-0.

What I'm saying is, other than the end bit, did you really feel worried about Montreal?

they had like 1 shot on goal in the first half, they barely could get forward, they made awful passes that went out of bounds. And Toronto had possession by a massive amount. So a worrywart obviously would see the 1-0 score and get nervous, but in an objective sense, forgetting the scoreline, there was really no pressure or real chance at goal by Montreal (I don't count the offside, as it was offside right away) until the very end.

In other words, I'm saying there's a difference between worried about the scoreline itself, and being worried about the opposition. Naturally a 1-0 scoreline is always troublesome late in the game.
    BUt I never felt like Montreal was going to do something. I felt if they were to score, it would be some fluke (penalty, own goal)... not something they would do.
    Last edited by rocker; 05-14-2009 at 09:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    But that's your own attitude based on being up only 1-0.

In other words, I'm saying there's a difference between worried about the scoreline itself, and being worried about the opposition. Naturally a 1-0 scoreline is always troublesome late in the game.
    BUt I never felt like Montreal was going to do something. I felt if they were to score, it would be some fluke (penalty, own goal)... not something they would do.
    Well, it's my attitude, sure but it's based on experience .

I agree, though, that some fluke (or bad call - always a possibility) was far more likely than anything Montreal was going to do. Still, when you're in the position that it would only take one good play (or one fluke play, or one bad call) to tie the game, then any opposition is worrisome.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so, who still wants John Limiatis as TFC head coach?
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Well, it's my attitude, sure but it's based on experience .

I agree, though, that some fluke (or bad call - always a possibility) was far more likely than anything Montreal was going to do. Still, when you're in the position that it would only take one good play (or one fluke play, or one bad call) to tie the game, then any opposition is worrisome.
    That's exactly how I felt. Having 90% of possession and outshooting the opposition throughout the entire game means f##k all if you're gonna cough it up in the 92nd minute for the tying goal.

Still an amazing game though. Loooooved the "USL 4 EVR" sign

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Montreal's play last night was not deserving of a loss, I don't know what was.

I read somewhere the shots were 16(8) to 3(1) for us.

And considering we hit the bar twice, Barrett's breakwaway blunder and Guevara's near miss in the second half from Barrett's other break, the shots were more indicative of the play than the scoreline.

Tactically speaking, I'm really surprised we didn't play at Braz more often in the second half, even though we weren't hurting for good chances.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastend View Post

Agreed. I was crapping my pants hoping a fluke goal wouldn't go in.

We need to finish off teams we have on the ropes. If anything, DC showed us that a 1 goal lead is still a precarious proposition for us.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC*FAN View Post

And considering we hit the bar twice
    3 times. Cronin, DeRo, Velez
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoever was in charge of the camera switchboard last night was on acid though.

Some crazy angles were put on during some shots, I think it was Cronin's bar stroke that looked the craziest, they shifted to the back-net camera and all we see is the ball coming into the top right corner - all of a sudden the keeper flies into the shot, misses and it dings the post... it was almost funny how it looked like it was sailing right in and then this hand appears...

..and how many girls blowing kisses did they show?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Limniatis ate too much saputo cheese products, his vision is impaired!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    so, who still wants John Limiatis as TFC head coach?
    Me.

I would still give him an opportunity if we were looking for a coach, you do not judge a coach on one game or loss, or comment. He has done well with a squad that is less tallented then ours.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    Me.

I would still give him an opportunity if we were looking for a coach, you do not judge a coach on one game or loss, or comment. He has done well with a squad that is less tallented then ours.
    so, mtl's lack of success in USL is not something to worry about?

Limiatis has basically one thing that went right. Mtl's run in CCL last year.

other than that, exactly what did he accomplish?

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That is a pretty big thing. I said I would give him a chance on what he got out of Montreal last year, not that he is the best coach in the world. What did Cummins accomplish before comming here? Yet he has done a superb job for us so far.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ That is a pretty big thing. I said I would give him a chance on what he got out of Montreal last year, not that he is the best coach in the world. What did Cummins accomplish before comming here? Yet he has done a superb job for us so far.
    I'm not advocating Cummins as permanent head coach for TFC.

I'm questioning Limiatis's qualifications as a coach. I just don't think he's done enough to warrant TFC job

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I attended last year's match at BMO in July and last night's match as well. There was a stark contrast this time around. Montreal actually controlled the flow of the match at times last year and unfortunately were deserving of the draw. Yesterday, TFC completely outclassed the Impact and the score should have been at least 4-0. I want some of whatever John Limniatis smoked before the game...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yohan,

That is your opion, and that is fine, but what did Carver and Cummins have to warrant the job? Being a head coach is very different from being an assistant.

You cannot take what a coach is saying for the media as his real views on an issue, maybe they are but it could also just be his way of encouraging the team. At the end of the day who gives a shit what is said in the media, we won. End of story. He is preparing his team for the next game, at least mentaly. Clearly he does not want them to be too down on themselves and to feel like they canot win.
    Last edited by trane; 05-14-2009 at 12:15 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yohan,

That is your opion, and that is fine, but what did Carver and Cummins have to warrant the job? Being a head coach is very different from being an assistant.

You cannot take what a coach is saying for the media as his real views on an issue, maybe they are but it could also just be his way of encouraging the team. At the end of the day who gives a shit what is said in the media, we won. End of story. He is preparing his team for the next game, at least mentaly. Clearly he does not want them to be too down on themselves and to feel like they canot win.
    actually, my original comment about Limniatis was not about his media comments, but his coaching in general.

I agree with you on Limniatis's comments to media, that he doesn't want his team's morale to be hurt by the loss. I said something to say effect about Thordarson after Van game too.

I wish you'd stop trying to compare Limniatis with Carver/Cummins, and talk about Limniatis's qualifications only.

I have yet to see a convincing argument from you to see exactly why Limniatis deserves a shot at TFC job, other than Mtl's run in CCL last year (which could just be a fluke. minnow teams sometimes do make great cup runs, but fails in league competitions)

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone been on the Mtl supporters site to see what they are saying?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    "We did enough for a tie, but not enough for a win," said head coach John Limniatis.

I'm sure some of you have seen this, but I got a kick out of his optimism. On the Impact site this morning.... what match was he watching?

Could have been 4-nil or 5-nil if we'd finished better or pen calls had gone our way.
    Actually not the full quote.....if you watch the press conf. he says "MAYBE we did enough for the tie, but not enough for a win,"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    Anyone been on the Mtl supporters site to see what they are saying?
    Most likely they are talking about how nobody likes them...but they don't care!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    actually, my original comment about Limniatis was not about his media comments, but his coaching in general.

I agree with you on Limniatis's comments to media, that he doesn't want his team's morale to be hurt by the loss. I said something to say effect about Thordarson after Van game too.

I wish you'd stop trying to compare Limniatis with Carver/Cummins, and talk about Limniatis's qualifications only.

I have yet to see a convincing argument from you to see exactly why Limniatis deserves a shot at TFC job, other than Mtl's run in CCL last year (which could just be a fluke. minnow teams sometimes do make great cup runs, but fails in league competitions)
    Listen kid, I realy do not care to convince you, nor do I realy care wh ether you find it convincing. But I am not sure what qualifications you looking for in a manager. What better qualification is there the proving you can win with little talent. football is all about results, he got results. Stop comparing him with Carver and Cummins, you say? Why not, are they not the people that TFC hired? So are they not the measuring stick as to what qualifications are needed to work as a manager for TFC? So far he has far more to show then Carver and Cummins. [ This is not meant as disripect to Cummins as I like him as a coach, but he has not won anything -yet]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Anyway, as I said winning is everything. Impact just fired Limniatis.