Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Paul James - Fired from GOL TV by John Carver?

Found this on the Star's website today...thought it was interesting:

http://thestar.blogs.com/sportsmedia...y-announc.html

If this is true it is disgraceful on the part of MLSE to treat anybody in this way.

If you take James' account of what transpired between him and Carver as true (and I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now) and that there was nothing to apologize for, then canning a great analyst for something like this speaks to some serious dysfunction within the management of our club. And there are a lot of lies, half truths, innuendos and the like coming from the front office to definitely give James the benefit of the doubt here.

I know some of you will say "...oh christ...here he goes again on Mo..." but I feel that if the leader of the team's football operations was a more honest and transparent individual in his dealings with others then a lot of the issues we as supporters have with how the club is run would not be happening. When the club's top dog is not honest, forthright or transparent in his dealings how can we realistically expect anybody else in the organization to be any better?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgnewf View Post
    Found this on the Star's website today...thought it was interesting:

http://thestar.blogs.com/sportsmedia...y-announc.html

If this is true it is disgraceful on the part of MLSE to treat anybody in this way.

If you take James' account of what transpired between him and Carver as true (and I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now) and that there was nothing to apologize for, then canning a great analyst for something like this speaks to some serious dysfunction within the management of our club. And there are a lot of lies, half truths, innuendos and the like coming from the front office to definitely give James the benefit of the doubt here.

I know some of you will say "...oh christ...here he goes again on Mo..." but I feel that if the leader of the team's football operations was a more honest and transparent individual in his dealings with others then a lot of the issues we as supporters have with how the club is run would not be happening. When the club's top dog is not honest, forthright or transparent in his dealings how can we realistically expect anybody else in the organization to be any better?
    "IF" is a pretty important word in your statement above.

perhaps James thinks Carver was the reason when it was not. I don't know.
    I fired a guy once who thought I hated him personally, when really he just made mistakes.

perhaps he was not re-signed because he just wasn't a very good "TV person" (lacking energy, kinda boring, seemed like he didn't want to be there). He had a personality for a newspaper columnist or university professor, not a TV guy.

Just some alternatives to think about rather than jumping to conclusions.

Anyhow, once the "IF" part of the assertion disappears, then the rant can be made

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope that Paul James lands on his feet, but the article is a bit irresponsible I think. As far as I can tell, the author is linking one independent and speculative event with the non-renewal of a contract, and inferring that there's maybe a connection between the two.
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Seems like a bit of a stretch to me, Tim.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sprained my ankle walking to work yesterday. Is there anyway I can blame Carver for that?
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 05-13-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Seems like a bit of a stretch to me, Tim.
    Maybe...Maybe not Jack

But to me this seems like the kind of thing that we have unfortunately come to see from a club that is managed by the kind of person Mo Johnston is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

double post...please delete
    Last edited by bgnewf; 05-15-2009 at 09:14 AM.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Maybe...Maybe not Jack

But to me this seems like the kind of thing that we have unfortunately come to see from a club that is managed by the kind of person Mo Johnston apparently is.
    So you think Mo would put pressure on MLSE to can this guy?

Over a couple of comments? Seems like a lot, but I suppose it could be true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to put a face to the name and can't remember who he is.

Betwixt the waters of the Humber and the Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which one is he, the older guy who was on the Footy Show couch sometimes, vaguely reminiscent of Lewis Black?

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found over the years that these guys in the media generally get moved around a lot regardless of what happened and what did not happen.

Stations shuffle without much notice. All companies do it, a friend of mine was laid off with the employer saying a week previous that he was fine to go out and make a major financial commitment. Companies don't care about people anymore.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevvv View Post
    Which one is he, the older guy who was on the Footy Show couch sometimes, vaguely reminiscent of Lewis Black?
    no, the smug guy

you're thinking of Brian Budd... Budd was a TV guy.. he was the energetic loud one. He was over the top, probably too much, but that's better than being quiet, boring, and smug.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is paul james???? Anyone Remember this game!??

Betwixt the waters of the Humber and the Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    no, the smug guy

you're thinking of Brian Budd... Budd was a TV guy.. he was the energetic loud one. He was over the top, probably too much, but that's better than being quiet, boring, and smug.
    Not who I was thinking of. Definitely not Budd, the guy I'm thinking of has been on the show in the last week or two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul James also did not return to the Score.
    The Score has no connection to TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe...Maybe not Jack

But to me this seems like the kind of thing that we have unfortunately come to see from a club that is managed by the kind of person Mo Johnston apparently is.
    Why are you even implicating MoJo in this? The article clearly states that the theory was that James and Carver didn't get along. How do you not know that in that scenario Carver didn't go over MoJo's head and speak directly to Anselmi.

It seems far too easy on this board to just fling shit in MoJo's direction. Give the guy a break for a week at least!!

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canucker View Post
    Why are you even implicating MoJo in this? The article clearly states that the theory was that James and Carver didn't get along. How do you not know that in that scenario Carver didn't go over MoJo's head and speak directly to Anselmi.

It seems far too easy on this board to just fling shit in MoJo's direction. Give the guy a break for a week at least!!
    Far too easy to post anything on a message board, including huge generalizations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^
    Agreed!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always liked Paul James and appreciated his insights, but I think some questions need to raised about him and not whether or not a coach held a grudge against a media personality for a year and made sure that he was fired when his company bought the company that the media personality worked for.

When budget issues became a problem at the Score, James was let go in favour of Brian Budd. When Brian Budd passed away, James wasn't invited back. When James' new company was bought by a new company, he was picked out as the redundency. Like I said, I like James, I appreciate his insights and can't thank him enough for what he's done for our sport in Canada, but in my mind the way his career has gone in the past couple of years begs questions of him more than anyone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by canucker View Post

In one thread the problem is Mo didn't back Carver enough, in another his problem his that he got some guy fired because Carver didn't like him.

Do you think any of this actually has anything to do with Mo?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i believe paul was at goltv since goltv entered Canada...

he was probably one of the more recognizable figures on the channel
    Alot of passion for the game and his knowledge was tops..

Paul was the Canadian representative on the channel in my eyes.

I hope the Cmnt pick him up as a coach... I think he would be good for this position..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

James is a cool guy, backed me up when I got booked for smoking inside BMO. He isn't really made for TV but he has some real footie knowledge. He didn't make himself sound like an idiot like Sharman and Budd (r.i.p) when talking about the sport outside of the EPL.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's impossible to evaluate this given the vagueness of the statement "James was told that Carver wanted an apology".

It's implied (but not stated) that Carver wasn't the one who actually said anything to James.

So let's have it, Chris Zelkovich.....When? By whom? How?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My god, how can anybody here defend Paul James getting fired? the guy is a horrendous tv personality. I don't care if Carver got him fired or not, all I know is TV is much better off without him on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    In one thread the problem is Mo didn't back Carver enough, in another his problem his that he got some guy fired because Carver didn't like him.

Do you think any of this actually has anything to do with Mo?
    Honestly, no. Which is why I posted what I did. We only have one half of the story and as usual the finger of blame is quickly pointed at MoJo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This clearly wreaks of an MLSE initiative.
    As much as I am not a MoJo fan, I don't think he has this influence.
    MLSE owns 4 pro sports teams in this city and 3 channels now with the purchase of GolTV.
    They are channeling their message out and making sure that all filters are applied.
    Only Yes men need apply that adhere to MSLE doctrine.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Boban, how do you know they're not secretly manipulating you to say stuff like that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Boban, how do you know they're not secretly manipulating you to say stuff like that?

You should know by now that I'm a guy with my own mind Jack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    Only Yes men need apply that adhere to MSLE doctrine.

Okay, but we like it if they shut down guys like Cathal Kelley and replace him with yes men, is that right? Certainly WE don't only want yes men, do we.

(okay, really I'm kidding. I'm just wasting time until the game starts)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like an irresponsible reporter making spurious claims.

He takes two otherwise unrelated events, shrugs his shoulders and says "connected?"

Anyone can do that. Show me some actual evidence, and I will listen.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens