Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my first post on the forums so hopefully I don't make s fool of my self, with this I'm only been following football since the TFC started and have fallen in love with the game, and want to see it do well, so the CSL expansion is of concern to me. With so many small markets, in Canada the way the CSL is expanding seems dumb to me, and I could be wrong but wouldn't it make more sense to create a 3 or 4 regional league system, to help minimize travel costs, and develop the sport through out the country, and then have the top two or three teams from each regional league play in a CSL?

It seems to me that would allow, the sport to increases it's profile in the Prairies, and Atlantic Canada, as well as help develop infrastructure, while allowing a small national league that help minimize travel costs.

Canada is a vast little populated nation, I can't see this type of league expansion being able to work well.

In truth I don't have anything by my own logic system to base this on, but am I the only one that thinks this expansion is bad? and that Soccer Canada really needs to be kicked in the head?

oh also, can we have some cheese curds and gravy ready to give as a thanks to Montreal for the 3 points tonight?
    Last edited by Kaz; 05-13-2009 at 10:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ryan Johnson's picture comparison was a good one.
    but there's an even better moment if you look for it... Cronin was IN the box at one point, facing a ball played in diagonally, and Cronin moved through the box with his hands behind him. nothing came of the moment (not like when he got smacked in the head) but it was good careful posture.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    CSL will have a big challenge with travel cost the first years of expansion but if they weather it this could be the start of a league of our own with a merger with the PCSL.
    It's always been my understanding that the PCSL is keen to retain its amateur status so IF that is indeed the case, I can't see your scenario taking place.

In terms of travel costs, if they were going to interlock a schedule between west and east, agreed.

I doubt they'd do that though. It wouldn't make sense. Play regions and have a weekend championship final.

They are a shoe string operation so will have to live within their means.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Limniatis says:

The club [TFC] earned a 1-0 win over Vancouver in the tournament opener last week. It was not a victory that left Limniatis in awe."I didn't think there was anything too impressive about it," said Limniatis, who attended the game. "Vancouver was always in the game as far as I'm concerned."

that's Vancouver... one of the best in the USL right now. You're in the basement, winless, Limniatis. Don't assume the way Vancouver played is the way you're shitbox squad will play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Last year Toronto didn't put much [energy] into the tournament"

And they still beat Montreal once and drew the other time. Imagine if they cared like they do this year?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    Limniatis says:

The club [TFC] earned a 1-0 win over Vancouver in the tournament opener last week. It was not a victory that left Limniatis in awe."I didn't think there was anything too impressive about it," said Limniatis, who attended the game. "Vancouver was always in the game as far as I'm concerned."

that's Vancouver... one of the best in the USL right now. You're in the basement, winless, Limniatis. Don't assume the way Vancouver played is the way you're shitbox squad will play.
    what else would limiatis say? he shat his pants because TFC was so good?

you don't want to bring down your own team's morale and be intimidated
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    20 teams in the GTA?

that cant good for business.

unless the GTA extends to oakville and milton

2 mississauga
    1 brampton
    1 caledon
    1 bolton
    1 woodbridge
    1 north york
    2 vaughn/markham
    2 scarborough
    1 north york
    5 downtown
    1 etobicoke
    1 oakville
    1 milton
    1 peterborough
    B-O-L... *clap clap*... T-O-N... *clap clap*... OOOOOOHHH BFC!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ banned.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the commissioner of the CSL figures there is room for 13 more teams to join their little bush-league semi-pro organisation? Yeah, pull the other one, Gary. I'll believe it when I see it.

At least he's somewhat admitted that the International Division is kinda stupid, sorry, I mean "controversial". That scores him some points, though he loses them again when he insists that the CSL is the only All-Canadian professional league. Professional league, Gary? Really?
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    ^ banned.
    I'll give you a ban!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    It's always been my understanding that the PCSL is keen to retain its amateur status so IF that is indeed the case, I can't see your scenario taking place.

In terms of travel costs, if they were going to interlock a schedule between west and east, agreed.

I doubt they'd do that though. It wouldn't make sense. Play regions and have a weekend championship final.

They are a shoe string operation so will have to live within their means.
    Yes. I've mentioned elsewhere to have an east meets west final to determine the Canadian Champion would be a good start to growing into a nation wide league. Other leagues in this nation grew that way.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    The example he provided was to illustrate the posture and body positionning of the players not whether the players were in a position to avoid contact with the ball.

Ryan earned my respect today. Few T.O. journalists would have taken the time, taken the risk of displeasing the team and not made a direct accusation or criticism to make an effective point.

Well done, Johnston.
    Agreed. It is good to see some real analyses of on field play. Few others in the main stream media to it. Jloome being one exception.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    This is my first post on the forums so hopefully I don't make s fool of my self, with this I'm only been following football since the TFC started and have fallen in love with the game, and want to see it do well, so the CSL expansion is of concern to me. With so many small markets, in Canada the way the CSL is expanding seems dumb to me, and I could be wrong but wouldn't it make more sense to create a 3 or 4 regional league system, to help minimize travel costs, and develop the sport through out the country, and then have the top two or three teams from each regional league play in a CSL?

It seems to me that would allow, the sport to increases it's profile in the Prairies, and Atlantic Canada, as well as help develop infrastructure, while allowing a small national league that help minimize travel costs.

Canada is a vast little populated nation, I can't see this type of league expansion being able to work well.

In truth I don't have anything by my own logic system to base this on, but am I the only one that thinks this expansion is bad? and that Soccer Canada really needs to be kicked in the head?

oh also, can we have some cheese curds and gravy ready to give as a thanks to Montreal for the 3 points tonight?

Speaking with Cary, it's going to be set up regionally. He and I spoke at length about this last October. It will like our NPSL in the states, that's why he and I were speaking. They aren't going to be hoping across the country having a group from BC playing a Toronto team during the regular season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds fine to me... I remember when MLB didn't have crossover play.. so the national league was it's own thang that only competed with the american league in the world series. of course, each league had its teams all over the country so it wasn't done for regional travel reasons, but it still worked fine. so if they bring it together at playoff time, that would be pretty cool.