Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tamil Protest On Wednesday

Just got a warning round my office that there's a Tamil protest planned for Weds in the downtown core and that public transit (especially TTC) could be jammed up tomrorow evening.

Just a heads up for those going by transit tomorrow to allow more time to get to the game.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're not making many friends are they?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're a croak of shit IMO. If they're worried about so many civilian casualties why are they using them as human shields alla hamas?

To think they're taking our city hostage because of it is an absolute outrage which needs to be rectified ASAP. If of course, Mayor Miller had balls that is.

What a fucking joke. Anyway, I drive directly to Frank Lampard Stadium and am not dependant on the TTC. Thank God.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    They're not making many friends are they?
    I think they're doing cartwheels. Their cause is front page news.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off Topic guys...the commentary on the demonstrations. Suggestions as to how to get to the game can be discussed but lets keep the political talk in the Off Topic forum.
    Last edited by Roogsy; 05-12-2009 at 05:20 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure to what extent GO Transit will be affected, but I really struggled to make it through the PATH to the GO concourse of Union last time this happened, and the subway was a fucking disaster - no-one could get in or out.

Is there a Jays/Raptors/Leafs game on tomorrow nigth as well? If so, could be mega headaches on the TTC.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a heads up, folks.

Protestors are expected to gather and form a long line from Bloor to Yonge, around Front and Union Station and up University Ave. The first such gathering drew thousands of people but didn't disrupt traffic beyond creating a visual distraction. Police are hoping this one proves to be equally uneventful.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bathhurst streetcar perhaps instead of trying to get all the way to union for those that take TTC. Also can go to Dufferin and take the King streetcar down and get off at shoeless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think they're doing cartwheels. Their cause is front page news.
    Of course that may just get more people to look more closely at their cause - and maybe not come to the conclusions they want....

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan69 View Post
    Just a heads up, folks.

Protestors are expected to gather and form a long line from Bloor to Yonge, around Front and Union Station and up University Ave. The first such gathering drew thousands of people but didn't disrupt traffic beyond creating a visual distraction. Police are hoping this one proves to be equally uneventful.

If that is in fact what happens then it's no problem and I would think that after the recent negative press they've been getting this is the likely scenario. However, there are always the younger hotheads in any community...
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    I'm not sure to what extent GO Transit will be affected, but I really struggled to make it through the PATH to the GO concourse of Union last time this happened, and the subway was a fucking disaster - no-one could get in or out.

Is there a Jays/Raptors/Leafs game on tomorrow nigth as well? If so, could be mega headaches on the TTC.
    Leafs & Raptors are both involved in game 7s tomorrow for the Stanley Cup and NBA World Championship respectively. Jays are only playing the Yankees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can you imagine if they stopped us from getting into BMO Field!??!

riots, I tell ya!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    If you're travelling to the game via one of the Lakeshore lines on GO Transit, I suggest taking a train that stops directly at Exhibition Station. The best way to avoid tomorrow's mayhem is to take a through-routing train, and avoid making any unnecessary transfers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i could see the cops getting alot more forceful in the near future if Tamils continue to block major transit routes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Off Topic guys...the commentary on the demonstrations. Suggestions as to how to get to the game can be discussed but lets keep the political talk in the Off Topic forum.
    I fully agree with this post. As much as the Tamil protests are pissing off 99.9% of the population, there's a place for discussion of said topic. This thread should be used to allow supporters to help one another find the best transport routes to BMO for tomorrow night's game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yalomed View Post
    Leafs & Raptors are both involved in game 7s tomorrow for the Stanley Cup and NBA World Championship respectively. Jays are only playing the Yankees.
    Good Point! I hope they win

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto Ruffrider View Post
    I fully agree with this post. As much as the Tamil protests are pissing off 99.9% of the population, there's a place for discussion of said topic. This thread should be used to allow supporters to help one another find the best transport routes to BMO for tomorrow night's game.
    ya but who knows if Tamils will do anything to cause traffic problems. And if they do who knows where, the Gardiner protest was not planned, so who knows where the hell they will be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're travelling to the game via one of the Lakeshore lines on GO Transit, I suggest taking a train that stops directly at Exhibition Station. The best way to avoid tomorrow's mayhem is to take a through-routing train, and avoid making any unnecessary transfers.

Forsure, getting off at Exhibition is your best bet. So far they did not have any effect on Go Transit. Lets hope it stays that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i can't understand why they are protesting instead of flying back over and taking up arms...its funny how its happening when the Tamils are losing

At least they cannot get to the train tracks, might have to take the GO train to Exhibition from Union (i think that is like 9 bucks)

what a bloody joke, might be cheaper taking a cap from union with some friends

Betwixt the waters of the Humber and the Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan69 View Post
    Just a heads up, folks.

I'm a little concerned about tomorrow. The 'plan' is as stated, but that 'spontaneous' assult on the Gardiner Sunday suggests that what they do and what they say may not converge. If they disrupt people attending the Jays game, they'll generate a pile of publicity for their cause, such as it is. But sooner or later they'll piss off the wrong people, or try an escalation, and there'll be blood on our streets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prizby View Post
    i can't understand why they are protesting instead of flying back over and taking up arms...its funny how its happening when the Tamils are losing

At least they cannot get to the train tracks, might have to take the GO train to Exhibition from Union (i think that is like 9 bucks)

what a bloody joke, might be cheaper taking a cap from union with some friends
    The ride from Union to Exhibition is only $3.95 one-way. Given what the roads are going to be like tomorrow afternoon and evening, it will be faster (and probably cheaper) to take the GO train one stop then to ride in a taxi along Queen's Quay.

Of course, if you've got a lot of energy to burn, you could always walk to BMO. I once made the trek from downtown to BMO - it's about 4km from Union Station to BMO, which translates to a 45-50-minute walk.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you work downtown and don't have to go home before the match...I suggest staying downtown......I am right in the thick of things and will just head over to the stadium after work.......I can taste them sliders at Shoeless now.....mmmmmm
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank god im going from oakville to the ex.

hopefully no train delays because of these motherfuckers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm riding my bike down, so hopefully i will be able to avoid this bunch of cowards who hide behind woman and children. no wonder they lost the war.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ride from Union to Exhibition is only $3.95 one-way. Given what the roads are going to be like tomorrow afternoon and evening, it will be faster (and probably cheaper) to take the GO train one stop then to ride in a taxi along Queen's Quay.

Of course, if you've got a lot of energy to burn, you could always walk to BMO. I once made the trek from downtown to BMO - it's about 4km from Union Station to BMO, which translates to a 45-50-minute walk.
    funny, although i haven't checked recently, i remember checking last year and seeing it was 9 bucks, 3.95 is so much better though

on a side note:

the game is probably going to end around the same time as the yanks/jays game, if that game is like today's game, it is gonna be hell and a half on the subway back, imagine around 50,000-60,000 fans (between the two games), some drunk running into the Tamil protesters...I do hope Toronto's finest are on their guard, it just might turn out to be a very ugly night.
    Last edited by prizby; 05-13-2009 at 02:42 AM. Reason: side note

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Subway to Bloor - To Dufferin - then the 29 south to king and you're at Joes!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good alternative to the crowded Dufferin bus and Bathurst streetcar is the Ossington South bus. It drops you off right in Liberty Village.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wighty View Post
    A good alternative to the crowded Dufferin bus and Bathurst streetcar is the Ossington South bus. It drops you off right in Liberty Village.
    You don't go down early enough if you think the Dufferin Bus is crowded, there were only 3 TFC fans on the bus last time i was on it last wednesday, Carts, Mike, Myself..... and we were about an hour before game time.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevvv View Post
    I'm a little concerned about tomorrow. The 'plan' is as stated, but that 'spontaneous' assult on the Gardiner Sunday suggests that what they do and what they say may not converge. If they disrupt people attending the Jays game, they'll generate a pile of publicity for their cause, such as it is. But sooner or later they'll piss off the wrong people, or try an escalation, and there'll be blood on our streets.
    I'm actually a bit surprised that some gangster late for a drug deal hasn't pulled out a gun and started shooting. Would be horrible, but could happen sooner or later.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if they prevent any of us getting to the game we'll become the wrong people. We all know the issue. The friction does not need to escalate.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER