Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Carver to Newcastle ??

Ex-Toronto FC coach Carver to join Shearer's Newcastle

John Carver is being linked with a return to Newcastle United. The Mail on Sunday says the likelihood of Alan Shearer staying in charge increased when Sir Bobby Robson's former No.2 at the club Carver returned to the North-East after resigning as manager of MLS club Toronto.

Read More

Sir Bobby urges Newcastle boss Shearer to add Carver to backroom team

Sir Bobby Robson has urged Alan Shearer to add John Carver to his Newcastle United coaching staff.
    In his column for the Mail on Sunday, Robson wrote: "My former No2 at Newcastle, John Carver, came back to England this weekend having resigned as manager of MLS side Toronto.
    "Even though the team were doing extremely well, John felt his job was being undermined by decisions being taken against his wishes 'upstairs'.

Read More
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts ?
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by denime View Post
    Ex-Toronto FC coach Carver to join Shearer's Newcastle

John Carver is being linked with a return to Newcastle United. The Mail on Sunday says the likelihood of Alan Shearer staying in charge increased when Sir Bobby Robson's former No.2 at the club Carver returned to the North-East after resigning as manager of MLS club Toronto.

Read More

Sir Bobby urges Newcastle boss Shearer to add Carver to backroom team

Sir Bobby Robson has urged Alan Shearer to add John Carver to his Newcastle United coaching staff.
    In his column for the Mail on Sunday, Robson wrote: "My former No2 at Newcastle, John Carver, came back to England this weekend having resigned as manager of MLS side Toronto.
    "Even though the team were doing extremely well, John felt his job was being undermined by decisions being taken against his wishes 'upstairs'.

Read More

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carver was not the right fit for Toronto and it showed on the field. I think he makes a decent assistant coach but I can't realy see him being a good head coach for anyone at the top level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have fun in the championship, johnny.

Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    have fun in the championship, johnny.
    If he's making on field and tactical decisions for them, Newcastle will go straight down through the championship next year as well.

I think they are only considering the position of gopher for Shearer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good on him. He gets to go back to his hometown club? Thats not a bad plan B. Good luck John! We'll be following

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No big shock. I'm happy for him. The man is passionate about football.

He doesn't seem able to handle the stresses of being a head coach. I'm sure that the fit with being an assistant Shearer would be excellent.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard he was going to work at the circus with Keegan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heeeheeeheeeheee

carver's a number 2

heeeheeeeheeehee

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one here can be surprised.
    JC is a geordie thru and thru.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traitor.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Massive uncertainty around the Newcastle situation (will the team be sold? will the team stay up? will Shearer stay if they don't stay up?).

This is extremely hypothetical.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. lets laugh at the man for being number 2 at NEWCASTLE. Clearly a step down from running an mls team. Especially considering the name is FROM Newcastle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tribal football is a credible source now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
    Yes. lets laugh at the man for being number 2 at NEWCASTLE. Clearly a step down from running an mls team. Especially considering the name is FROM Newcastle.
    Being #2 at a relegated Newcastle is still a bigger job than managing TFC. Well said, Waggy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by koryo View Post
    Being #2 at a relegated Newcastle is still a bigger job than managing TFC. Well said, Waggy.
    There's nothing wrong with being an excellent number two. Not everyone is suited to be number one - at any level.

Good luck to Carver, I hope he does well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    There's nothing wrong with being an excellent number two. Not everyone is suited to be number one - at any level.

Good luck to Carver, I hope he does well.
    Again, well said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't Ian Dowie currently Shearer's #2? Is that going to change in the off-season or would they just add Carver as another bench coach/assistant 1st team coach? I suppose it might give Newcastle good cover should someone offer Dowie a managerial position elsewhere.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daveisonfire View Post
    Tribal football is a credible source now?
    You missed one part from Tribal football article:

And here is their source:The Mail on Sunday

Shepherd ready to buy back Newcastle if they go down

The likelihood of Shearer taking over increased when Robson's former No.2 at the club John Carver returned to the North-East after resigning as manager of MLS club Toronto.

Carver is likely to return to Newcastle in some capacity if Shearer does take the manager's job
    Read More

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly......MEH

I'd rather focus on whats going on here. Things are going well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waggy View Post

i was laughing at a infantile poo joke reference thank you very much.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obviously near any job at Newcastle is better than big cheese at an MLS club, but I still think it's bullshit of him (if these reports are true).

'Personal issues' was really just a load of shit because he didnt have the balls to say 'I want to go back to Newcastle' (if these reports are true).

I hope we never see another 'In *coachnamehere* we trust' banner unless it's some guy who has actually proven his mettle and his loyalty.

Dont just make up the slogan because you want to.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    Obviously near any job at Newcastle is better than big cheese at an MLS club, but I still think it's bullshit of him (if these reports are true).

'Personal issues' was really just a load of shit because he didnt have the balls to say 'I want to go back to Newcastle' (if these reports are true).

I hope we never see another 'In *coachnamehere* we trust' banner unless it's some guy who has actually proven his mettle and his loyalty.

Dont just make up the slogan because you want to.
    You say this, like a crime was committed when people made that banner. I agree that a banner or that nature should only be made for a coach who has some success and whatnot, but it wasn't the end of the world. People poured their time into that banner. And I respect them for that. They have done more than alot of other people on this board thats for sure.
    Last edited by AL-MO; 05-10-2009 at 10:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool to say I had drinks with Carver. He is a great guy and I wish him well in Newcastle!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AL-MO View Post
    You say this, like a crime was committed when people made that banner. I agree that a banner or that nature should only be made for a coach who has some success and whatnot, but it wasn't the end of the world. People poured their time into that banner. And I respect them for that. They have done more than alot of other people on this board thats for sure.
    It wasnt simply the banner. I could care less about the banner.

It was the mindset. It was people printing up shirts, and ending their posts, and essentially adopting 'In Carver We Trust' as a personal mantra.

It was never necessary and it was never warranted.

People only did it because they wanted to create a sense of loyalty that was not actually there and when you do something like that it is never going to end well.

I liken it to people in a relationship only seeing what they want to see in their partner.

The 'In Carver We Trust' mindset was not conducive to objective thought or rational opinions.

In the way that idiots bring flares to games because they feel that is what theyre supposed to do, I thought people made up that 'In Carver We Trust' slogan because they felt it was something they were supposed to do.

Hell, I would bet the slogan made Carver himself a little uncomfortable. He probably always knew he wasnt here for the long haul. Im sure he would never want to 'dupe' anybody, and yet here were these fans just begging to have the rug pulled out from under them.
    Last edited by ilikemusic; 05-10-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good luck JC!

I'l be cheering for you and year team, except when they play manchester united of course

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck to JC ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good for him. Hopefully he and Toronto FC retain a strong relationship, and we can form some kind of partnership with Newcastle United FC in the near future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a feeling the Allan Shearer experiment is going to end like the Gary McAllister one at Leeds.