Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Cummins interim head coach

From NP

Posted: April 29, 2009, 10:56 AM by Eric Koreen

Toronto FC names Chris Cummins interim head coach

Toronto FC has named 37-year-old Chris Cummins its interim head coach in the wake of John Carver's resignation last week. The club made the announcement at a press conference at BMO Field on Wednesday afternoon.

It is Cummins' first job as a head coach, but he has spent the last 16 years in professional coaching, including with English sides Watford and Luton Town. He had served as Carver's lead assistant since last May.

Read More
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

perhaps a premade article that they made so they could just post it as soon as the announcement was made and then accidentally posted to that website....? who knows

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any lottery numbers posted by the same guy?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

National Post must have Cristal ball,they know who is new coach before the TFC made the announcement.

Maybe NP can tell us what the score is going to be vs KKCrew?
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, to be fair ... if the announcement is anything but Chris Cummins Interim Head Coach, I think not one person would be shocked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha, this is funny. I want Nick Dasovic to be the coach now, just so I can laugh at the NP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LucaGol View Post
    Well, to be fair ... if the announcement is anything but Chris Cummins Interim Head Coach, I think not one person would be shocked.
    NO reason to be fair to NP, they don't know fair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great stuff. I really like Cummins, and I hope he'll do well. He certainly seems to know what he's doing, and we did play a great game last Saturday.

I'm happy with the decision. Beats the waiting, and the speculation, and the uncertainty this can bring to our players as well. Quick decision made by Mo on this one, and I give him credit for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Organizations usually make copies of press releases and speeches about to be made available to the press the morning of the event or sometimes the night before. The actual press conference themselves are more for Q&A and public consumption than actual breaking news.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

LOL

I saw that...jumped the gun a bit
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More on Cummins....

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news....jsp&team=t280

Cummins holds both his UEFA "A" and UEFA "B" coaching license.
    One of Cummins greatest achievements at Watford was the development of forward Ashley Young.
    Nice.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds great -- time to move on up and kick those painters butts

come on saturday and come on you reds
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

MUFC_Niagara

I think is a good move....I am happy to see Cummins is being given an opportunity.
    Last edited by MUFC_Niagara; 04-29-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad they gave him the chance not some face the team and staff would have to get use to

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Highly dubious about this.

We will see as time progresses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if this is old news to this forum but Cummins had a recent 'windfall' as a result of discovering Ashley Young

Guardian.co.uk, Friday 12 December 2008 00.30 GMT

Watford are close to reaching a financial settlement with their former assistant academy director Chris Cummins, who is owed about £235,000 for the part he played in bringing Ashley Young to the club before the player was transferred to Aston Villa for £9.5m last year. Cummins, who was sacked two weeks before Young joined Villa, has been in dispute with Watford for more than 18 months but the Championship club now appears ready to settle the matter.
    It is understood that Cummins, who took over as assistant manager at Toronto FC, the Major League Soccer club, earlier this year, had a clause in his contract when he started working for Watford as a scout in the 1990s that entitled him to 2.5% of any transfer fee over £500,000 for any player he discovered who was subsequently sold by the club. Having spotted Young as a 10-year-old and later brought the player to the club, he would appear to have a fairly clear-cut case, yet Watford have dragged their heels.
    Cummins, who spent more than a decade at Vicarage Road and was highly respected for his work with the club's academy players, has been forced to take legal advice although sources at the club indicate that the board is keen to bring the matter to an end.
    It is believed Watford, who are facing uncertain times off the field following the resignation of their former chairman, Graham Simpson, will offer close to a six-figure sum.
    Those familiar with Cummins's work at the club believe that amount is the least he deserves. During his time with the academy set-up he nurtured promising youngsters, including Hameur Bouazza, Adrian Mariappa, Al Bangura and Lloyd Doyley, who all progressed to the first team. Most significantly he not only identified Young as a schoolboy but encouraged the England international to remain at the club when senior figures at Vicarage Road doubted he had the physical strength to become a professional footballer.
    Young elected to stay with Watford on a non-contract basis despite being rejected as a 15-year-old and, eventually, signed a professional contract. He went on to make his first-team debut under Ray Lewington in 2003 and, having thrived when Aidy Boothroyd took over as manager two years later, was transferred to Aston Villa at the start of last year for a fee rising to £9.5m.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Cumming I trust

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yanggoh View Post
    Organizations usually make copies of press releases and speeches about to be made available to the press the morning of the event or sometimes the night before. The actual press conference themselves are more for Q&A and public consumption than actual breaking news.
    Orgs never announce anything specific regarding a press conference they're holding... if they're announcing a new coach they won't say who. If theyre firing someone they won't say it until the conference. It creates better news and forces them to show up to hear the news.

MUFC_Niagara

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBlades View Post
    In Cumming I trust
    Who does Cumming coach?

MUFC_Niagara

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Highly dubious about this.

We will see as time progresses.
    Hmmm....explain...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC_Niagara View Post
    Hmmm....explain...
    His credentials aren't any better than Carver's were. He has been here throughout the failure of last season as assistant coach, it's not clear that the 4-3-3 was his idea, and if not, we've yet to see what his personal tactical acumen is like.

I would like an experienced coach, with a winning record. Cummins' is only 37 and his abilities are unclear.

Youth development is great, but it's not an indicator of tactical or coaching excellence.

Cummin's has my full support, but I maintain the right to be skeptical.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His credentials aren't any better than Carver's were. He has been here throughout the failure of last season as assistant coach, it's not clear that the 4-3-3 was his idea, and if not, we've yet to see what his personal tactical acumen is like.

I would like an experienced coach, with a winning record. Cummins' is only 37 and his abilities are unclear.

Youth development is great, but it's not an indicator of tactical or coaching excellence.

Cummin's has my full support, but I maintain the right to be skeptical.
    Maybe a bit unfair comparison, but cummins apparently has 16yrs as a coach.

By comparison, Roy Keane has...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not being sarcastic or anything, but I wonder if it matters what league the coach's winning record was in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    I'm not being sarcastic or anything, but I wonder if it matters what league the coach's winning record was in?
    MLS would be preferable, other leagues are too different to be able to judge how easy the transition would be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

By comparison, Roy Keane has...
    promoted a team to the EPL in his first season as a manager.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

promoted a team to the EPL in his first season as a manager.
    exactly my point.

both are young managers with potential, though Keane is a bit of maverick

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cummins people…CUMMINS!

He's just replaced Carter as coach and you can't even spell his name correctly…retards…
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As expected really. They have their chance now, so let's see what they can do. He talks a good game that's for sure, hopefully he can back it up. There's no real harm in the appointment, it gives Cummins the chance to stake his claim and also gives time for Mo to look around for other possibilities.

Did think it was a bit interesting that both Mo and Dasovic both commented on Cummins having coached the last two games.

Oh, and is it just me who can't help but be amazed by all the different facial expressions Cummins goes through when he's talking?