Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Refs: Stop yer bitching

Face it. We like to complain about the Refs... pretty much on every call that goes against us. Even the ones that should have gone against us

Looks like things have evened out.

I got home from the game last night to watch some of the replays that I had PVR'd. Of course, it is not to be rebroadcast in whole or in part without express written consent of Major League Soccer.

It's clear that the ball struck Valez's hand in the box in the dying seconds of yesterday's game.

Over the course of a season, things generally even out. In this case, we likely got an extra 2 points as a result of a missed call.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The refs let alot of things go yesterday and the game before for both teams.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a former Hockey referee I can sympathize to some extent with all on and off field officials. All I can hope is that the referee can be consistent and predictable in the way he will call a game. This will lessen the frustration level all around.

The next step is to work on the consistency between different referees so that what is a foul in one game will be a foul in the next.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    The next step is to work on the consistency between different referees so that what is a foul in one game will be a foul in the next.
    i dont think you'll get something like that, even among top refs in the world

all we ask for is individual consistency, so that the players can read how the ref will call the game (is he strict or more lenient?) and go from there

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    i dont think you'll get something like that, even among top refs in the world

all we ask for is individual consistency, so that the players can read how the ref will call the game (is he strict or more lenient?) and go from there
    bam. Consistency we demand. Perfection would be nice.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be fair, I thought the officiating was rather good in last night's game, apart from perhaps one incorrect offside call on Vitti (not the one where he put the ball into the net). The referee consistently allowed the game to play on and wasn't heavy handed with the cards; especially because Serioux saw nothing for the foul on the KC player on the left wing in the first half.
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ACSertL View Post
    To be fair, I thought the officiating was rather good in last night's game, apart from perhaps one incorrect offside call on Vitti (not the one where he put the ball into the net). The referee consistently allowed the game to play on and wasn't heavy handed with the cards; especially because Serioux saw nothing for the foul on the KC player on the left wing in the first half.
    considering how many shitty refs we've seen, I think I agree. he wasn't bad by MLS standards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The officiating is always good when we win.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed. It was refreshing to see.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The refing in the league isn't bad but also at times some calls are blown. However if you look at leagues all over the world, the refing isn't always on point. It's the human error factor that comes into play. The players don't need to show up the ref each time their is a questionable call. Just put your head down and move on and fight for the ball on the next play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mango Kid View Post
    The officiating is always good when we win.
    True, a little trick of the human memory . We remember all of the bad calls that went against us when we lose (what "could have been") but downplay them when we win.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Face it. We like to complain about the Refs... pretty much on every call that goes against us. Even the ones that should have gone against us

Looks like things have evened out.

I got home from the game last night to watch some of the replays that I had PVR'd. Of course, it is not to be rebroadcast in whole or in part without express written consent of Major League Soccer.

It's clear that the ball struck Valez's hand in the box in the dying seconds of yesterday's game.

Over the course of a season, things generally even out. In this case, we likely got an extra 2 points as a result of a missed call.
    I didnt think there was a deliberate handball, so not sure what you are on about. Overall, considering the general standard of refs in this league, then yesterday's wasnt bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    True, a little trick of the human memory . We remember all of the bad calls that went against us when we lose (what "could have been") but downplay them when we win.
    Couldn't agree more, Steve.

That, and a few tend to only see things one way. Velez could bring out a chainsaw and take out a guys legs and some would say it wasn't a foul but if one of our boys trips over their feet with nobody around, our guy must've been fouled (I'm remembering Andy Welsh right now). There's loyalty, but come on...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pubboy View Post
    I didnt think there was a deliberate handball, so not sure what you are on about. Overall, considering the general standard of refs in this league, then yesterday's wasnt bad.
    Yeah Velez's hands were down at his sides and the ball bounced up from behind him and it looked like it hit his fist. I thought as well he was looking at the player he was marking, not the ball so I don't think he even saw it.

But I am sure it was in the back of K.C.'s minds that we got one called against us last game so why not complain and try and win a PK. At least the ref didn't fall for it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mango Kid View Post
    y. Velez could bring out a chainsaw and take out a guys legs and some would say it wasn't a foul...
    maybe if we were playing Calvinball

///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post

!

The score is Oogy to Boogy
    Proud Supporter of: FC Bayern München, AIK Solna, Toronto FC, Nottingham Forest FC

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you mean, the MLS refs dont play Calvinball?

you just ruined my explanation for all things MLS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I miss Calvin and Hobbes. Probably my favourite comic ever. I think I have read every single one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ref's weren't bad yesterday, there were a few missed calls both ways, BUT they were fairly consistant! That's what we can hope and ask for! Heck we won too!!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Exactly. Nobody is going to get everything right all the time. Consistancy is what I am looking for from the refs...

And no - getting the wrong call all the time is NOT the consistancy I am looking for

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't think the refs were bad yesterday.

Betwixt the waters of the Humber and the Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    I miss Calvin and Hobbes. Probably my favourite comic ever. I think I have read every single one.

You guys are OLD.

(Bloom County was where it's at.)