Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Important note about Saturday's CBC broadcast

Hey gang,

I'm anticipating questions about this, so I figured I would beat you to the punch and address it now.

Saturday's Toronto FC-Columbus game will be live on the main CBC network starting at 4PM ET.

We are also showing Game 1 of the Pittsburgh-Washington playoff series at 1PM ET. If all goes well, the hockey game will be over by 3:40PM and if that happens, we'll do an MLS pre-game show before kickoff at 4PM.

However, if the hockey game goes into overtime and goes past 4PM, there are two ways you can watch the soccer game: 1) on Bold, CBC's digital channel, or 2) on-line at CBCSports.ca.

At about 3:50, a link will appear highlighted in yellow in the program guide located on the upper-right hand side of CBCSports.ca. Just click on the Watch Now link and wait until 4PM for the stream to come up.

If the hockey game goes past 4PM, the main CBC network will stay with it until it's over and then switch over to soccer.

I know that will disappoint a lot of you, but keep in mind that hockey is our bread and butter. On the plus side, we are expecting a big TV audience for the hockey game (Crosby vs. Ovechkin) so it's a great lead-in to the soccer game, and if some of those viewers might stick around for the Toronto FC game, it will lead to a better TV rating for the soccer game (which is good news for everyone).

After Saturday's game, you can log onto CBCSports.ca (at around 6:03 pm) to watch the live post game show with Nigel and Jason and Chris Cummins' press conference.

Also, be sure to check out CBCSports.ca's special live online show this Friday at 3PM

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/stor...ccer-show.html

This week, CBC Sports Soccer Plus+ expands from 30 minutes to one hour and will feature all the latest news on John Carver's resignation and the coaching situation with Toronto FC, reaction to Jason de Vos's latest blog on fixing Canadian soccer, and discussions on MLS and international soccer.

CBC's soccer experts will also interact with soccer fans and respond to questions, so email your questions early to Soccer@cbc.ca.

And De Vos will be answering questions during a live online chat after the show for 30 minutes, so be sure to join us for that, too.

I think that's it. sorry for the lengthy post.

Hopefully, I was clear about everything, but if not, ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

John Molinaro
    Last edited by johnmolinaro; 04-29-2009 at 07:34 PM.

Gixmo

Unacceptable!

(Thanks John lol)

I_AM_CANADIAN

GO CAPS!!!!!!!

Hopefully I'll be at BMO on Saturday anyway, so it shouldn't make a difference. I look forward to hearing what Carver will have to say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the update john, ill be at a wedding so good to no whats going on tv wise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info John, and thanks to the CBC for making sure that we don't miss any of the match

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If hockey goes in to overtime I think they should delay the game at BMO field and let us practice some chants. That way all the lally gaggers in the posh seats will be there in time to sing the anthem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FUCK Crosby!!
    and thanks for the info

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fair enough, can't expect the CBC to leave ot playoff hockey for soccer.

Just for shits and giggles though, someone should try and convince Don Cherry that you will be doing just that, and tape his reaction.

Registered
    NW corner of Hwy #48 & Queensville Sdrd Mount Albert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    Hey gang,

I'm anticipating questions about this, so I figured I would beat you to the punch and address it now.

Saturday's Toronto FC-Columbus game will be live on the main CBC network starting at 4PM ET.

We are also showing Game 1 of the Pittsburgh-Washington playoff series at 1PM ET. If all goes well, the hockey game will be over by 3:40PM and if that happens, we'll do an MLS pre-game show before kickoff at 4PM.

However, if the hockey game goes into overtime and goes past 4PM, there are two ways you can watch the soccer game: 1) on Bold, CBC's digital channel, or 2) on-line at CBCSports.ca.

At about 3:50, a link will appear highlighted in yellow in the program guide located on the upper-right hand side of CBCSports.ca. Just click on the Watch Now link and wait until 4PM for the stream to come up.

If the hockey game goes past 4PM, the main CBC network will stay with it until it's over and then switch over to soccer.

I know that will disappoint a lot of you, but keep in mind that hockey is our bread and butter. On the plus side, we are expecting a big TV audience for the hockey game (Crosby vs. Ovechkin) so it's a great lead-in to the soccer game, and if some of those viewers might stick around for the Toronto FC game, it will lead to a better TV rating for the soccer game (which is good news for everyone).

Also, CBC Sports is doing sit-down interviews with John Carver and Chris Cummins tomorrow. Those interviews will air either during Saturday's pre-game show, or at halftime.

The full interviews will also be available online at CBCSports.ca on Friday. I'll try to post the links here when they are on the website.

Also, be sure to check out CBCSports.ca's special live online show this Friday at 3PM

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/stor...ccer-show.html

This week, CBC Sports Soccer Plus+ expands from 30 minutes to one hour and will feature all the latest news on John Carver's resignation and the coaching situation with Toronto FC, reaction to Jason de Vos's latest blog on fixing Canadian soccer, and discussions on MLS and international soccer.

CBC's soccer experts will also interact with soccer fans and respond to questions, so email your questions early to Soccer@cbc.ca.

And De Vos will be answering questions during a live online chat after the show for 30 minutes, so be sure to join us for that, too.

I think that's it. sorry for the lengthy post.

Hopefully, I was clear about everything, but if not, ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

John Molinaro
    Will CBC be advertising or at least mentioning during the hockey game that the TFC game follows the hockey game?

How long will the post hockey game wrap up go on for?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd much rather watch an overtime, playoff hockey game than a regular season Jay's game in extra innings.

Thanks for the info.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the game on Bold is that if hockey runs over...or will it be on bold as well?? it will be hard to switch the vcr over from BMO!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Plenty of Pace View Post
    Will CBC be advertising or at least mentioning during the hockey game that the TFC game follows the hockey game?

How long will the post hockey game wrap up go on for?
    Yes, the Toronto FC game will be promoted during the hockey broadcast.

Not sure how long the post-hockey game wrap up will go on for.

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    the game on Bold is that if hockey runs over...or will it be on bold as well?? it will be hard to switch the vcr over from BMO!!
    The game on bold will go live at 4PM, regardless of what happens in the hockey game.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The game on bold will go live at 4PM, regardless of what happens in the hockey game.

thanks John!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

may i ask why bold isnt available over the air like CBC?

omniTV has 2 or 3 channels over the air.

Gixmo

Next Question : Wanna press Cogeco to offer BOLD?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guessing due to the hockey that there's no HD for this one? Bummer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    may i ask why bold isnt available over the air like CBC?
    over the air? you still using bunny ears on your TV???

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be perfectly honest, if Crosby v. Ovechkin goes into overtime, im not flicking over to the soccer anyway.

Any chance you could answer this? What would you guys expect to do better ratings wise; Pens versus Caps, or Leafs versus some random team like Carolina?

Probably Leafs trumps everything eh?
    Last edited by ilikemusic; 04-29-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    To be perfectly honest, if Crosby v. Ovechkin goes into overtime, im not flicking over to the soccer anyway.

Any chance you could answer this? What would you guys expect to do better ratings wise; Pens versus Caps, or Leafs versus some random team like Carolina?

I can;t say for sure, but I would think it would be the Leafs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it goes to OT, please show soccer during the intermissions. Shove soccer down some throats!

Man, Saturday's shaping up to be a beautiful day of sports, huh? Hockey, soccer, hockey .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sacrilige

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers - Thanks John

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren View Post
    sacrilige
    I know, I know.

Hopefully I wont have to make the decision anyway.

Id imagine the bump the TFC broadcast will get from the hockey carry-over should be huge though.

I cant think of a more anticipated series in the last decade or so that didnt involve the Leafs.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lengthy post?

Are your fingers cramping? Symptom of the twitter generation.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And it has to be said. No one group of people hate soccer more than today's hockey administrators, be they part of the pro ranks or just amateurs. It's not indifference, it's hostility.

Mention soccer during the hockey telecast and people will be throwing things at the screen and uttering profanities. I've seen it. They're feeling very threatened by the surging growth, and lingering stagnation, of registration numbers among kids and rec players across the country. Soccer is killing hockey. Numberwise, I mean.

Don't think it's a good mix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only thing that matters is HD or not.

And in this case the cbc fails. But I know it's hard to win with no money....

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    And it has to be said. No one group of people hate soccer more than today's hockey administrators, be they part of the pro ranks or just amateurs. It's not indifference, it's hostility.

Mention soccer during the hockey telecast and people will be throwing things at the screen and uttering profanities. I've seen it. They're feeling very threatened by the surging growth, and lingering stagnation, of registration numbers among kids and rec players across the country. Soccer is killing hockey. Numberwise, I mean.

Don't think it's a good mix.

Why cant people just love one another.

I guess im the rare exception (though I know there are many other like me on here). As far as im concerned, hockey and soccer shouldnt be competing with each other, they should be complimenting each other. They are the two best sports on the planet! It warms the cochels of my heart when im watching the NHL playoffs and CBC tells me Toronto FC is up next.

I cant wait for the day when soccer takes its rightful place alongside hockey as Canada's two favourite sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post
    the only thing that matters is HD or not.

And in this case the cbc fails. But I know it's hard to win with no money....
    Ya, CBC's lack of HD for TFC broadcasts is disheartening.

We get Sounders games in HD but not Toronto games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya, CBC's lack of HD for TFC broadcasts is disheartening.

We get Sounders games in HD but not Toronto games.
    I seem to recall it being about the trucks. They are all tied up with hockey.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wooster_TFC View Post
    I seem to recall it being about the trucks. They are all tied up with hockey.
    Yes we've all heard the truck story before.