Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pre game smoke/confetti setting bad precedent?

Hey all, I was thinking it might be time to stop doing the pregame smoke machine confetti gun thing. Firstly I think it sets a bad precedent as we are not allowed to bring in anything like that and then they set it off right away. I think it sets up a monkey see monkey do scenario.

Secondly we are always kicking off towards the north end meaning our keeper is about 10 feet away from two smoke machines. Chances are slim but I'd be mighty upset if it distracted him in any way. Lastly I just thing it's unnecessary, we create a great atmosphere without smoke and mirrors. It seems like the last piece of novelty we've yet to dismantle

thoughts? MLSE could save a few bucks, we all know they need em.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you are thinking too much into this. It really is harmless.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    I think you are thinking too much into this. It really is harmless.
    Agreed. It's about moderation. This is just as extreme as those who want free reign to do what they want in the south end, flares, smoke etc.

By the team doing this...they are saying they will help add atmosphere, but under their terms. I am ok with that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I like the smoke. And since we're not allowed to bring in our own smoke bombs, I think they should keep doing it. I mean they aren't doing it all game long, just at the beginning. That's just my opinion though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is done in a controlled environment though....big difference than the stands. I am ok with it....
    Follow me...... https://twitter.com/#!/aGeRoO76
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
    Hey all, I was thinking it might be time to stop doing the pregame smoke machine confetti gun thing. Firstly I think it sets a bad precedent as we are not allowed to bring in anything like that and then they set it off right away. I think it sets up a monkey see monkey do scenario.

Bang on. It's such a pointless exercise and sends out a message that smoke and fire are a good fun thing at soccer games.
    If I stood behind the net and had my view obliterated for the start of every game I would be pissed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KRO View Post
    Bang on. It's such a pointless exercise and sends out a message that smoke and fire are a good fun thing at soccer games.
    If I stood behind the net and had my view obliterated for the start of every game I would be pissed.
    I am first row behind the net and I find it harmless. It can be annoying at times, but it does not last that long. But.... I see where you are coming from.
    "Just like JDG. It wasn't a post-and-in shot, but JDG is smart & experienced" - Carts

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so what about hockey and basketball games?
    They often have smoke and laser shows.
    How much trouble have we seen with smoke-bombs or rampant use of laser pointers?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they are a pain thats for sure...the pyrotechnic guys can leave...we are
    ar BMO for a football match not a concert.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Secondly we are always kicking off towards the north end meaning our keeper is about 10 feet away from two smoke machines. Chances are slim but I'd be mighty upset if it distracted him in any way. Lastly I just thing it's unnecessary, we create a great atmosphere without smoke and mirrors. It seems like the last piece of novelty we've yet to dismantle

Seriously?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to see a real smoke show....step outside the stadium at half time....

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flatpicker View Post
    so what about hockey and basketball games?
    They often have smoke and laser shows.
    How much trouble have we seen with smoke-bombs or rampant use of laser pointers?
    we've seen some (at acc, etc). And why bother when you don't gain anything, like this case with the smoke/confetti.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we've seen some (at acc, etc). And why bother when you don't gain anything, like this case with the smoke/confetti.
    Just a slippery field when all the confetti hits it.......

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TBH the smoke is horrible , its so lame trying to copy smoke bombs , get rid of that crap NOW it looks soo amateur. Most of you guys pride yourself on being the best SG in the MLS, yet you have machines to try and immitate europe and South america. Also on a windy day it wrecks havok with shit'all remember last year at a couple games the smoke drifted and thw whole east side could'nt see the play because of the glare+the smoke...... that lasted for like 5 mins. The smoke should go . If i want smoke ill bring my own. As it stands right now , that smoke is just mlse trying to copy other places in the world in a "safe" enviroment. Fake smoke machines are a joke..... Facepalm anyone? yeah ............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally like the smoke. It creates an atmosphere. People that I've taken to the games that have only been once or twice will comment after the game on how cool the smoke thing is. I don't think it promotes the use of smoke bombs in the stadium. Didn't we have parashuters at the All Star Game or something? Doesn't mean they are promoting people parachuting into the stadium. It's controlled so there should be no problem with it.

I feel bad for the fans behind the net if anything, seems like this year it's been blowing it right in their face.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If in the U.S. they use fireworks at little league baseball games, I am sure people can restrain themselves HERE from taking a part-time pyro job because they think it's cool...

Don't they have these flame throwers at Raptors games? I can recall feeling the heat during a playoff game a long time ago from the flames...
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dale_Rojo View Post
    TBH the smoke is horrible , its so lame trying to copy smoke bombs , get rid of that crap NOW it looks soo amateur. Most of you guys pride yourself on being the best SG in the MLS, yet you have machines to try and immitate europe and South america. Also on a windy day it wrecks havok with shit'all remember last year at a couple games the smoke drifted and thw whole east side could'nt see the play because of the glare+the smoke...... that lasted for like 5 mins. The smoke should go . If i want smoke ill bring my own. As it stands right now , that smoke is just mlse trying to copy other places in the world in a "safe" enviroment. Fake smoke machines are a joke..... Facepalm anyone? yeah ............
    You ever been to a game in Latin America? Do you want a fence at BMO Field as well...

I'll take the smoke machine any day over a caged fence... You need to stop looking at youtube clips and worry about how we do our thing...
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FluSH View Post
    If in the U.S. they use fireworks at little league baseball games, I am sure people can restrain themselves HERE from taking a part-time pyro job because they think it's cool...

Don't they have these flame throwers at Raptors games? I can recall feeling the heat during a playoff game a long time ago from the flames...
    yeah but these example are much more extreme that ours. people see murder on tv but dont kill, they see fight club and they fight. They see smoke, relate it to soccer smoke (common in many places), and then bring their own stuff. I dont think it's too far of a stretch....and again I only bring it up because I don't see the smoke/confetti as being a thing people are excited about or even interested in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah but these example are much more extreme that ours. people see murder on tv but dont kill, they see fight club and they fight. They see smoke, relate it to soccer smoke (common in many places), and then bring their own stuff. I dont think it's too far of a stretch....and again I only bring it up because I don't see the smoke/confetti as being a thing people are excited about or even interested in.
    How did you come to the conclusion that people aren't interested in it though? In general, people that I associate with seem to like it. I don't know, maybe we need a poll on the TFC site to really find that out.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it, I think they just need more of it and a bigger show... thats the problem imo

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it.

Just keep it exactly as is; no stupid music, dancing or doing it more than the one time at kickoff.
    Support Local Football.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a second there with the title i thought the red patch boys did an honourary pre game blunt that maybe ppl were catching on to

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would prefer that the Supporters be able to use smoke @ BMO in a responsible manner. But that won't happen so its not allowed. And I respect that. But I don't have much of an issue with the stuff they let off. No skin off of my back.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd prefer the massive banner prior to kick off, a different one every couple of games, or maybe one in each section, that looked very cool

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    How did you come to the conclusion that people aren't interested in it though? In general, people that I associate with seem to like it. I don't know, maybe we need a poll on the TFC site to really find that out.

exactly... and even people that don't associate with Pachuco like it...
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you guys like it, or just don't dislike it? I know a few around me (right behind the net) find it a pain before most matches.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you guys like it, or just don't dislike it? I know a few around me (right behind the net) find it a pain before most matches.

I love it...

It should be the entire South End if you ask me... not just that one section@!
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ Well lets talk to paul, maybe we can get it moved over to 112

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like seeing it, good atmosphere booster. Tbh i thought people were continuously bringing smoke bombs each game...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love it myself. But H Bomb, if you are behind the net I completely understand. It looks awesome from further away, but man I would hate to have that in my face.