Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Onward! - Has anyone seen the gameplan?

Coach Carver had a bad night in Dallas.

http://onwardsoccer.com/2009/04/21/h...-the-gameplan/

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he wasn't the only one.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been as big a supporter of Carver of anyone but I honestly feel that the rot is setting in the dressing room, and it's happening in one of two ways:

1. players are tuning the coach out
    2. the coach is short-circuiting the players we have

How else do you account for the inability to pass the ball cleanly, or man-mark effectively? We look like the route 1 nightmare we were in season one when O'Brien was injured.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't argue with your analysis, Ben.

The only question is, is it bad coaching, or players not doing what the coach says.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMO Carver behaved and acted like he was completely over his head in the Dallas match...but fair enough everyone can have an off night...but the next 2 games are crucial...we lose both and you can pretty much write off the season, and Carver may be toast...I certainly hope I'm wrong but I think we're gonna get absolutely thumped tomorrow night...that being said if we somehow pull out a result it could be a major turning point with the Reds headed upward!!! Dichio and Vitti MUST PLAY!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah we need to get 4 points min out of the next 2 games

All up in your head, like your hairstylist!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maninb View Post
    IMO Carver behaved and acted like he was completely over his head in the Dallas match...but fair enough everyone can have an off night...but the next 2 games are crucial...we lose both and you can pretty much write off the season, and Carver may be toast...I certainly hope I'm wrong but I think we're gonna get absolutely thumped tomorrow night...that being said if we somehow pull out a result it could be a major turning point with the Reds headed upward!!! Dichio and Vitti MUST PLAY!!!!
    As someone posted recently; this is the MLS, you're only out of the playoffs when you're officially outta the playoffs. Still a long way to go................ playoff wise.

I agree with Bens sentiments regarding the Dallas match.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaicanadian View Post
    As someone posted recently; this is the MLS, you're only out of the playoffs when you're officially outta the playoffs. Still a long way to go................ playoff wise.
    100% correct!

In the top leagues around the world, certain wins-losses are an almost certain in many matches, meaning you can plan out your season almost...

Over here, a top team can shit the bed for a month, and a shit team can steal game after game...

You're not out, until you're out...

6/7/8-games into our 30-game season - nobody is 100% in or 100% out of the playoffs...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I was always taught that defenders play with their arms at their sides – particularly in their own penalty area late in a tie game. " Same here, enough excuses, and the best way to avoud them defend so that they do not get into the box.

Agree with the article, and it refelcts the sentiments of many on this board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps I should have qualified my response...IMO if we lose both games AND the roster and coaching staff STAY THE SAME then we're toast...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Can't argue with your analysis, Ben.

The only question is, is it bad coaching, or players not doing what the coach says.
    True. I've always been in the Mo-Carver camp, even during the putrid offseason prior to 2008 when we signed no one (though I began to doubt). I'm starting to doubt again, but this time it's Carver. Whatever the real answer is to your question, does it not still fall on Carver? Assume it's the players: shouldn't Carver be able to effectively run the room? I've seen what happens when players quit on a coach (with my hockey team 6 years ago) and it's devastating.

I've generally been trusting that things will work out, but I'm very worried about this team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McCartney View Post
    100% correct!

In the top leagues around the world, certain wins-losses are an almost certain in many matches, meaning you can plan out your season almost...

Over here, a top team can shit the bed for a month, and a shit team can steal game after game...

You're not out, until you're out...

6/7/8-games into our 30-game season - nobody is 100% in or 100% out of the playoffs...

Carts...
    So that's what its come to eh....we are now a shit team attempting to steal games week after week so that we can sneak into the playoffs and pull a New York. That's not what we were promised..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BleedRed View Post
    So that's what its come to eh....we are now a shit team attempting to steal games week after week so that we can sneak into the playoffs and pull a New York. That's not what we were promised..
    Wow! I never said we're a shit team, I said "shit teams can steal games" meaning you can never plan out your season...

Relax, deep breath, don't feed the 'registered users' are negative trend

Its just in this league, results are as easy to predict as in the too leagues across the pond - that's all I am saying...

And its true, you see top teams lose to teams lower in the standings way more often in the MLS than EPL...

What I am saying, don't write off the season before we are even 25% in...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the Dallas game Ben.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I am not trying to defend the result of the Dallas game...

Don't you think that the players and coaches suffered from a sort of "game flow paralysis" what with the inconsistent refereeing in the MLS as a whole?

When you just aren't sure what is a foul and what isn't it makes it hard to play consistently game in and game out.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC -- coach, team, everyone -- definitely shat the bed in Dallas, but that game was tons of fun to watch. I'll be in the 224s tomorrow night cheering them on once again! Even if they keep losing, something very interesting is about to happen to this team -- they either man up and get their shit together or they whack Carver and we get a new coach. Either way, very entertaining as far as I'm concerned. Come on you Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeds!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    While I am not trying to defend the result of the Dallas game...

Don't you think that the players and coaches suffered from a sort of "game flow paralysis" what with the inconsistent refereeing in the MLS as a whole?

When you just aren't sure what is a foul and what isn't it makes it hard to play consistently game in and game out.
    No I don't. Because Dallas had the same ref. And he made some pretty bad calls their way. I felt he was very consistent in letting them play. I can remember the tackle Robinson made at the top of the box and the ref let it go, it was shocking he let that go. Trust me, Cooper probably scores from there if he gets a chance. Anyways, blaming the ref is like blaming the wind. It goes both ways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think our season is a bust if we lose tomorrow, or even on Saturday. But no doubt we will have a mountain to climb if we don't win at least one of the two games, and that could spell a lot of trouble - and changes at the club as well (which is not always the greatest thing once you're already into the season).

However, if we go ahead and beat Chivas the bonus could be a great increase in confidence, and we just might start a momentum that could catapult us into a play-off spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a great read and pretty much sums it all up...well done

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And yes Dichio and vitti must play! They have been exposed to greater talent the Barrett will ever see in his career and are better suited to get us out of this slump.