Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fifa can stick this rule up thier collective rear ends...stupid idea....but the European union won't pass it so Blatter will look like an idiot again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not familiar with EU laws. Can someone please explain to me how this violates workers rights? Can a worker from any EU country move to any other EU country that they like for work without having to apply through immigration?!? Is it essentially borderless?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess then countries not in the EU don't have this rule applied to them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC John View Post
    So the message is "Let's get Racism out of the game and promote Nationalism too?"

Why can't a player just be a player, a club be a club and let national football associations take care of themselves?
    The way I see it, this motivation behind this is not so much nationalist as it is a bit of protectionism designed to help strengthen the weaker domestic leagues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But it still hurts, as the current string of national players won't come back to play until their career is essentially done elsewhere

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BakaGaijin View Post
    I am not familiar with EU laws. Can someone please explain to me how this violates workers rights? Can a worker from any EU country move to any other EU country that they like for work without having to apply through immigration?!? Is it essentially borderless?
    Basically…yes. There are certain conditions but the idea is the all forms of commerce can be shared…including labour.

Therein lies FIFA's problem…technically…if I'm an Italian citizen who plies his trade as a footballer, the EU agreement entitles me to work in any member country…it's the law.

At least that's my understanding, however, I don't claim to be an expert…but have been often accused of being a know-it-all!
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Registered
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

.. but the wording is 'eligible to play for the national side of the country etc...'.

That could mean this could be circumvented as easily as saying 'well he's never played for any other country, so if he were to take on our citizenship then he could play for us'.

This could just mean that you can't have more than 5 current or former internationals on your team unless they are of the nationality of the league in which they play.

Another way around this is to do what Jack Charlton did for the FAI.
    a ha ha heh he hoo.. ha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i do agree with this rule but they are going to have to baby step it. start off with a minimum of 3 homegrown players in a starting squad and work up to 6 over a few years. I think this rule should already be in place. Its looks bad when a team like Arsenal play a starting 11 that does not contain 1 English player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all this stuff about fifa looking red-faced seems a little premature for me. Even if the rule can't be enforced in Europe, it certainly could in North America or in Asia, or in South America, or in Africa. So really it could have a huge impact on us, if MLS wants to compete internationally (read the CCL). The whole premise of this seems to be that the rule will fail world-wide once it gets challenged in Europe, but i fail to see how this will be the case. Not only that, but clubs outside of Europe will be more inclined to hold onto players for higher transfer fees. This means that Europe's access to cheeper talent pools overseas could be limited due to cash, thus increasing the need for european players.

My biggest concern is that this could kill the second tier leagues... especially the championship, limiting domestic development anyways

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah…it could go a number of ways…it certainly doesn't mean parity.

There's a part of me that likes the idea…watching a team like the Gunners is a treat but then you say to yourself, I thought this team was from England? They've lost their identity in many ways…since moving away from Highbury…what's the connection to the past other than the uniforms?

It's kind of sad…
    “We changed the entire league’s opinion of the viability of soccer in North America. And then we blew it because we chickened out." —Tim Leiweke

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neuf View Post
    The way I see it, this motivation behind this is not so much nationalist as it is a bit of protectionism designed to help strengthen the weaker domestic leagues.

it won't stengthen the weaker leagues, take the SPL take the foreign players out of the game you will have a poor league altogether not that
    the SPl has much credibility left. the major signings for the clubs that can afford then help put people in the seats which is needed badly in scotland,cause outside of Celtic and Rangers most other SPL clubs can fill their own grounds except when the OF visit or derby day with their local rivals.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by graeme117 View Post
    all this stuff about fifa looking red-faced seems a little premature for me. Even if the rule can't be enforced in Europe, it certainly could in North America or in Asia, or in South America, or in Africa. So really it could have a huge impact on us, if MLS wants to compete internationally (read the CCL). The whole premise of this seems to be that the rule will fail world-wide once it gets challenged in Europe, but i fail to see how this will be the case. Not only that, but clubs outside of Europe will be more inclined to hold onto players for higher transfer fees. This means that Europe's access to cheeper talent pools overseas could be limited due to cash, thus increasing the need for european players.

My biggest concern is that this could kill the second tier leagues... especially the championship, limiting domestic development anyways
    If this can't be legally enforced in Europe, I can't see FIFA hanging on to it, as that is where the big money leagues are. It would put all other leagues at a significant disadvantage.

And from what I understand from my conversations with European attorneys is that this is not going to be easy for FIFA.

Will be interesting to see what happens..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto_Bhoy View Post
    Basically…yes. There are certain conditions but the idea is the all forms of commerce can be shared…including labour.

Therein lies FIFA's problem…technically…if I'm an Italian citizen who plies his trade as a footballer, the EU agreement entitles me to work in any member country…it's the law.

At least that's my understanding, however, I don't claim to be an expert…but have been often accused of being a know-it-all!
    However, this rule does not prevent you from working in any other EU country (if you are an Italian footballer). It simply means that the team that employ's you must have at least 6 starters from the country in which the team plays. You are still entitled to play for any team in any country.

This rule would actually keep more Europeans employed by forcing teams to use Europeans in their domestic leagues as opposed to African's, Asian's, South and North American's. From an EU perspective, it actually benefits European workers..........the EU should theorectically be all for this.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^Yeah, I understand the FIFA rule…I was talking about EU law as it pertains to migrant labour practise…regardless of occupation.

The current EU law would over rule anything FIFA set up because it's illegal to stop a citizen of a member country from making a living in an other…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    it won't stengthen the weaker leagues, take the SPL take the foreign players out of the game you will have a poor league altogether not that
    the SPl has much credibility left. the major signings for the clubs that can afford then help put people in the seats which is needed badly in scotland,cause outside of Celtic and Rangers most other SPL clubs can fill their own grounds except when the OF visit or derby day with their local rivals.
    I wasn't saying that it would work, just that it seems to be their motivation.

In your example (or any example) however, don't forget that some of the better Scottish players who are playing abroad may be forced to return home because they will be playing for a restricted number of foreign spots in other leagues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's going to have the reverse effect.. the 2-3 teams that are strong now in the domestic leagues will be even stronger. they'll sap up all the best local talent (ala ManU), which leaves the smaller clubs with neither top local talent or good international players, cause they cant afford them anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    They voted. I'll worry when they start enforcing it. We don't even follow the FIFA calendar over here...

FIFA lets us play "soccer" that just happens to have the same rule book as football.

Thats about as far as FIFA is involved in this league.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by profit89 View Post
    It's going to have the reverse effect.. the 2-3 teams that are strong now in the domestic leagues will be even stronger. they'll sap up all the best local talent (ala ManU), which leaves the smaller clubs with neither top local talent or good international players, cause they cant afford them anyway.
    How you explain the rule of 3 foreigners that is still there for NON EU Citizens.
    Before Bosman rule in the 90's soccer was played too.We did have champions League winners from smaller countries(Dinamo Bukarest beat Barcelona or Red Star Belgrade beat Olympic Marseilles).Why do you think that something that worked before wouldn't work again?s
    And why MANU didn't won a one title before BOSMAN rule in more than 25 years 7th title was 66-67 and next one was 92-93.
    The rule is proposed to stop big poachers,and give a break to smaller clubs/Countries that actually developing a players.

I'm not saying this will go trough,but UEFA is already on the way to deal with this.

Brussels, 28 May 2008
    UEFA rule on ‘home-grown players’: compatibility with the principle of free movement of persons

The European Commission has published an independent study on the ‘home-grown players’ rule adopted by UEFA. This rule requires clubs participating in the Champions League and the UEFA Cup to have a minimum number of ‘home-grown players’ in their squads. Compared with the '6+5' plan proposed by FIFA, which is incompatible with EU law, the Commission considers that UEFA has opted for an approach which seems to comply with the principle of free movement of workers while promoting the training of young European players. The Commission also notes that the measures are designed to support the promotion and protection of quality training for young footballers in the EU. This study had been announced in the White Paper on Sport in July 2007.

Vladimir Špidla, Member of the European Commission responsible for employment, social affairs and equal opportunities, today declared that ‘Compared with the intentions announced by FIFA to impose the so-called ‘6+5’ rule, which is directly discriminatory and therefore incompatible with EU law, the ‘home-grown players’ rule proposed by UEFA seems to me to be proportionate and to comply with the principle of free movement of workers’.

‘Home-grown players’ are defined by UEFA as players who
    , regardless of their nationality or age, have been trained by their club or by another club in the national association for at least three years between the age of 15 and 21. The UEFA rule does not contain any nationality conditions. It also applies in the same way to all players and all clubs participating in competitions organized by UEFA.

Since the rules adopted by UEFA will be implemented gradually in successive stages (list A to include four ‘home-grown players’ out of 25 for the 2006/07 season and eight out of 25 as from the 2008/09 season), their practical effects will not be totally clear for a number of years.

Here is great article that explains why and who si behind this move.

FIFPro, a body that unites 60,000 professional football players all around the world.
    FIFPro calls upon the Presidents of FIFA and UEFA to continue to explore all possible means - within the limits of the law - to achieve the objectives of 6+5."

Read more

Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it should be said that teams are not restricted as to the number of foreign players that can be signed but only the number than can appear on the pitch at one time.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They said with 6+5 rule team can have actually 3(domestic)+8(foreigners) on the pitch.
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So are we left with a sort of Euro-zone set up, where everyone plays by the FIFA rules, except for teams in UEFA, who play by an equivalent? or does the UEFA standard become de-facto word-wide? also doesn't FIFA usually fly off the handle when state governments or in this case supra-state governments interfere with football? WHAT A MESS

Heathen

Quote Originally Posted by profit89 View Post
    That is true but the thing about footballers is that although we call them money grabbing mercenaries they do actually want to play, and Man U won't be able to keep half a dozen talented players sitting on the bench or in the reserves indefinitely.
    A nationality based quota is illegal and will fail but I think Blatter knows that what he thinks he can get is a homegrown quota which the EU has shown some willingness to towards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nodoubtguy View Post
    I don't get how that would make a difference......maybe I'm just overlooking something. If a youth or player is playing in one of the top European leagues, should he be developing regardless of where they play??
    From my understanding it doesn't actually work out that way in practice.

A number of things enter in to this equation that ultimately produces players in the end:

1) Money (or availability of training)
    2) size of the player pool
    3) Quality of training
    4) incentives to produce quality players.

In England, you have a huge amount of number one and two. But they are producing less footballers, per capita then a lot of the other top countries who make due with with a lot less of both those resources.

So why is that? Well it's three and four. The big clubs would rather deal with a finished product, because they have the money to buy it, so their incentive to produce local players is less. Asides from that, the FA has structured things in a way that really sucks for developing players, which is hurting the game. As a result of the incentives being less, the quality of training for development has not (for the lack of a better word) developed like it has elsewhere.

The reason why you can still see lots of quality players coming out of England is 1 + 2. The reason why it could be a lot better ... 3 and 4. What would improve 3 + 4? 5 + 6!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blatter is overshooting his actual target of required domestic players per team with the 6+5 rule.

Club teams will balk at it...but still agree to some sort of law that ensures a certain amount of domestics....say..3...which is probably all that Blatter wants all along....and is probably more appropriate and reasonable anyways.

If teams can't at least field 3 domestic players in a starting 11...that doesn't seem right on some level.....e.g Arsenal and Inter.

I personally would be excited to see what sort of effect this has on the footballing order in Europe as it is now become too poacher driven. The top teams are dominating too much and the teams in the tier below them are left without any chance in hell of achieving anything.

There should be at least 4 or 5 teams from the big leagues, 2 or 3 from the 2nd tier leagues and definitely 1 from the third tier leagues who can all be on some sort of equal footing in Europe in terms of quality of play.

This rule is aimed at improving the football in your own country.....some form of parity will be an offshoot of that goal.
    Last edited by LucaGol; 06-14-2008 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
    A nationality based quota is illegal and will fail but I think Blatter knows that what he thinks he can get is a homegrown quota which the EU has shown some willingness to towards.
    Don't other sports in Europe like hockey and basketball have homegrown quotas?