Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    thats not the answer....patience and calm is needed...we are only 5 games into the season...out of 30 ..a long ways to go yet...look if the Leafs fired a coach after every losing season they would a long list of ex Leaf coaches.Give the management time the 5 yrs the wanted to build a club the right way.
    You are quite right -- we should follow the Leaf's management model, and try to emulate the recent and glorious successes that it has brought to that club

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
    The team is on pace to do worst than last year.

It's not just bad results, it's bad play that will rarely get good results in the future.

Fire Carver!
    On pace? It's been five games - don't start about what we are on "pace" for. You can't possibly extrapolate our entire season from such a small sample size of matches. Even quality of play varies over the course of a season - remember our great start last season? Remember how it all went to hell in the summer?

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carver has given me exactly zero reasons to gain my trust.

And btw, Mo was absolutely given the green-light to go ahead and sign a DP. It was on the news. I don't know why people lie to make him look better. There is no one but Mo to blame for our lack of a DP ... not that I care about it anymore since a DP striker would still leave a huge hole in our backline named Harmse and all sorts of other fundamental problems plaguing the team right now.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wzhxvy View Post
    I do think Carver has been effective but I do believe he is a geniunely good guy, which makes me feel for him. However, if anyone here thinks that Mo will not throw him under the bus...think again. Mo knows that his job is threatened and the best way to buy time to continue his reign as "pimp supreme with a 5 year plan" is to fire the coach. I am sure Carver knows that.
    Definitely not beyond the realm of possibility. Maybe the real question should be who are we better of keeping - Mo or Carver? And why specifically?
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
    You are quite right -- we should follow the Leaf's management model, and try to emulate the recent and glorious successes that it has brought to that club
    All of the "lol 40 years no cup" bullshit aside, prior to the lockout the Leafs actually were regular playoff contenders.

In the past several seasons though, the coaching and player turnover has been extremely high, and the Leafs have seen many of their players - and even coaches - move on to other teams, and do quite well

This idea that the Maple Leafs have been really bad for a long time, is just a stupid myth perpetrated by idiots who like to laugh at the Maple Leafs.

So in that sense, your sarcastic message above is ironically quite prescient. Lets do what the Leafs do, and blindly run players and management out of town, instead of identifying and addressing our real problems. In the Leafs' case, those real problems were bad drafting, bad scouting, and bad trading.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As somebody pointed out earlier, the team plays well when they're fresh out of the dressing room, be it the start of the game or after the half. Clearly he can get the team to produce when his voice is fresh in their heads. There should be a player on the field whose job is to keep the team focused, alert on on the game plan. Perhaps we could call this player a "captain" or something.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LucaGol View Post
    Great, thanks.

Sure, we'll be successful long-term .... successful at achieving mediocrity and playing attrociously unattractive and just plain bad soccer (for MLS standards) in the process. Can't wait. Sign me up.
    Dude, why do you even post on here? Every single day I see another of your posts, each more depressing and sarcastic than the last. I guess you think part of being a fan is being a whiny bitch, but I'm glad I'm not in your section.

Win or lose, these guys are great fun to watch. Love em, even if KC is the only win they get all season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Definitely not beyond the realm of possibility. Maybe the real question should be who are we better of keeping - Mo or Carver? And why specifically?
    The biggest problem with Carver is he has no management history of being a winner -- so he can only guess at what it takes to build and motivate a winning team.

There is a problem with the evolution of TFC. We started as a shit team with phenomenal support, whereas we should have started as a shit team with no support. As the team grew, and got better, people would become interested in them, and supported them. The flip side to this is, we have furnished MLSE with a lot of money, which should be reinvested into the club, to ensure the loyal and devoted fans are kept happy. That has not happened. Part of the investment in the club, should have been sourcing and hiring a top knotch manager to build a team worthy of the support. Instead, MLSE hired John Carver, and we got what THEY paid for.

John doesn't have it in him to win. You can let him have a 5-year plan, or a 10-year plan, but he will blame the refs, or claim we dominated play, and we will still be as good as he is.

When we won 3-2 against KC, it reminded me of the saying 'even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerRed View Post

Win or lose, these guys are great fun to watch. Love em, even if KC is the only win they get all season.
    You're kidding me, right?

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hold on a second...

What's with this 5-Year Plan anyway? I keep seeing it pop up in these sort of threads all the time, but I personally don't recall anyone from the club mentioning such a thing.

Has this 5-Year Plan been fabricated by supporters here on the boards or what's the deal?
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and here's a bit of Mo Jo history for everyone:

"Johnston retired after the 2001 season, and from 2003 to 2005 was an assistant coach to Bob Bradley for the MetroStars. After Bradley was fired with three games left in the 2005 season, Johnston was named interim head coach. He led the team to the playoffs and was promoted to the full-time position with re-branded Red Bull New York after the season. On June 27, 2006, after a 2-3-7 start to the 2006 season, Johnston was fired."

That means Carver getting the axe fairly soon isn't outside the realm of possibility. We're already at 1-2-2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we need to address some positions...and soon. We have Edwards/Sutton who we don't need both of. Why do we need 3 keepers? We have Guevara who has never shown the heart he has for Honduras when wearing a TFC shirt. I say trade him.

Trade these assets for a CB and competent winger. Cronin isn't a winger, and as well as Ibrahim has played, he certainly isn't a game-changer.

We can drop DeRo back into Guevara's midfield role and play Dichio & Vitti/Barrett (if necessary) up front.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When we won 3-2 against KC, it reminded me of the saying 'even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.'
    And this is a problem some of you have. You just see the negative in every result.

We played really well in KC, and could have won that game by a huge margin, if not for our finishing. The defense bent, but it didn't break, save for two ranged rockets from Davy Arnaud, that were about 25 yards out, and were perfectly blasted into the top corner.

We didn't look like "blind squirrels" getting lucky, on that night. We looked like a formidable offensive team with a suspect - but not disastrous - defense. Basically, we looked like exactly the kind of team many of us were expecting going into this season.

Since then, we have looked like blind squirrels.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heart break lose tho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    All of the "lol 40 years no cup" bullshit aside, prior to the lockout the Leafs actually were regular playoff contenders.

In the past several seasons though, the coaching and player turnover has been extremely high, and the Leafs have seen many of their players - and even coaches - move on to other teams, and do quite well

This idea that the Maple Leafs have been really bad for a long time, is just a stupid myth perpetrated by idiots who like to laugh at the Maple Leafs.

So in that sense, your sarcastic message above is ironically quite prescient. Lets do what the Leafs do, and blindly run players and management out of town, instead of identifying and addressing our real problems. In the Leafs' case, those real problems were bad drafting, bad scouting, and bad trading.

- Scott
    Okay -- what have the Leaf's won in say, the last 20 years...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And this is a problem some of you have. You just see the negative in every result.

We played really well in KC, and could have won that game by a huge margin, if not for our finishing. The defense bent, but it didn't break, save for two ranged rockets from Davy Arnaud, that were about 25 yards out, and were perfectly blasted into the top corner.

We didn't look like "blind squirrels" getting lucky, on that night. We looked like a formidable offensive team with a suspect - but not disastrous - defense. Basically, we looked like exactly the kind of team many of us were expecting going into this season.

- Scott
    Seriously...Scott wake UP!!! they are playing like SHIT!! Just admit it and stop lying to yourself!!

Yeah maybe in a month or so they might play a whole lot better, but right now they are GARBAGE!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay -- what have the Leaf's won in say, the last 20 years...?
    ...what? I said the Leafs were regular playoff contenders. I didn't say they won the Stanley Cup. The Leafs have been a GOOD team many times in the last 40 years, they just haven't been the BEST team in the NHL, in over 40 years.

- Scott

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    Seriously...Scott wake UP!!! they are playing like SHIT!! Just admit it and stop lying to yourself!!

Yeah maybe in a month or so they might play a whole lot better, but right now they are GARBAGE!!!
    Again... what? Look at my post you quoted. I said we played well in our first game this season, and I then went on to say that we have played like shit ever since. What the hell am I lying to myself about?

Good lord, man.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Scott
    Scott -- Hence the blind squirrel analogy (we won, and now we cannot win). I would like nothing more than to be a gloating, very happy TFC fan -- who adores his team, and enjoys them playing entertaining, compelling, attacking football.

Part of being a fan of any team is to demand results, and to no blindly shower them with adoration. We should, and must demand results EVERY game, and any talk of a long-term plan is just nonsense. John Carver has had a very fair shake of the stick, and he just is not good enough himself to take the team to a higher level. The owners, management, and players of TFC are answerable to us, the people who allow there to be a TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scott -- Hence the blind squirrel analogy (we won, and now we cannot win). I would like nothing more than to be a gloating, very happy TFC fan -- who adores his team, and enjoys them playing entertaining, compelling, attacking football.

Part of being a fan of any team is to demand results, and to no blindly shower them with adoration. We should, and must demand results EVERY game, and any talk of a long-term plan is just nonsense. John Carver has had a very fair shake of the stick, and he just is not good enough himself to take the team to a higher level. The owners, management, and players of TFC are answerable to us, the people who allow there to be a TFC.
    But who can we pick up to coach this team? Dale Mitchell?

Which is MLSE, thank you MLSE.. I don't see you forking out 40 million for just a franchise fee.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The key point is that Carver himself feels that his job is in jeapordy, more than whether we like/dislike his tactics.

We know that Mo is ruthless, and wouldn't hesitate to throw Carver under the bus.

Ask Serioux. Ask any of the GMs taken by him in a trade.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LucaGol View Post
    At this point, I'd feel more comfortable with Mo on the bench. ... and that's not saying much.
    what are you smoking mo suck.
    jc is better on the bench.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...what? I said the Leafs were regular playoff contenders. I didn't say they won the Stanley Cup. The Leafs have been a GOOD team many times in the last 40 years, they just haven't been the BEST team in the NHL, in over 40 years.

- Scott
    So the sum of the give it time approach is not winning anything...?

Okay, you got me, we should give it some time -- and perhaps we can win nothing in the future, just as we have won nothing in the past.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    The key point is that Carver himself feels that his job is in jeapordy, more than whether we like/dislike his tactics.

We know that Mo is ruthless, and wouldn't hesitate to throw Carver under the bus.

Ask Serioux. Ask any of the GMs taken by him in a trade.
    I think Carver is being realistic. He is having trouble getting his team to compete and he feels in this case that the refs are a big contributor to that situation.

You can't fire the team, but you can fire the coach. I think it would be silly for Carver not to acknowlege that, every coach of a major club knows this. He made many refrences to 'fan opinion' and media pressures. Witout doubt he is feeling a bit of the heat.

He needs to stop bitching about the refs, we all know they are shit and don't have to answer to anyone.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactically I think Carver is showing his weakness. I really wish we had come out of the Dallas game with a win, though. We'd be posting in a "Carver is God" thread instead.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the sum of the give it time approach is not winning anything...?

Okay, you got me, we should give it some time -- and perhaps we can win nothing in the future, just as we have won nothing in the past.
    Yeah, that was absolutely exactly what I was saying. Spot on.

As I SAID before, Leafs fans have ridden all kinds of coaches and players out of town in the past several seasons, instead of identifying the real problems, and what has THAT resulted in?

Advocating giving a team at least 10-12 games to get their shit in order, before crying out for everyone to be fired, is not the same as advocating letting the team's management piss on your face for 40+ years.

I didn't advocate sacking Arsene Wenger when Arsenal had a bad stretch of five games this season, in which they went 1-1-3, including losses to Stoke and Man City. And I won't advocate sacking Carver after five games, before I absolutely know that he's the problem.

- Scott

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RooneyRPB View Post
    I think Carver is being realistic. He is having trouble getting his team to compete and he feels in this case that the refs are a big contributor to that situation.

You can't fire the team, but you can fire the coach. I think it would be silly for Carver not to acknowlege that, every coach of a major club knows this. He made many refrences to 'fan opinion' and media pressures. Witout doubt he is feeling a bit of the heat.

He needs to stop bitching about the refs, we all know they are shit and don't have to answer to anyone.
    Agreed. Hanging that result around the referee's neck was stupid. Carver should be more concerned about the two goals that went in before the penalty.

And the complete lack of continuous possession by our side in the first half, where we couldn't string three passes together more than once or twice.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Too extreme especially as who will replace them?
    Should we go without a GM and a head coach?
    You want Dasovic coaching our first team?
    I would expect that MLSE is looking at options if they are thinking of firing him. It's not our job to find the coach and GM, it's theres.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Things may be taken a little bit more seriously than intended.

Remember back in the spring when Carver and the other coaches ran scrimmages, and commented that they made random calls to give the players the feel of the officiating. At the time, it was said tongue in cheek, but we all know that there is a hint of truth to it.

Carver's outbursts against the referees have been under some control for the most part. He's asked the media to give their opinion and has, from time to time, told it as he sees it. He commented yesterday immediately following the heat of the competition, when emotions are running high. It seems to me that at these times he may be given to use a little dramatic effect, and I think that it is the case here.

His comments remind me of a baseball manager. I've been around ball games most of my life, and I've seen many, many managers come out of the dugout and have a go at the umpire. I've never seen an umpire change their mind during that time. And I've seen many managers thrown out, seemingly wiht no effect.

The manager's actions are meant to have an effect on his team (and maybe to get the next call from the umpire, who may now have the tiniest seed of doubt about the call). The players now know that the coach is willing to go in there and fight for them, even if he knows he is going to lose. Often times, it makes the team pick up a little.

Maybe this is one of those times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure there will be some coaches available once the summer break starts in Europe with all the relegations and what not, plus I think Dale Mitchell is available

I am in no way calling for Carver's head with that statement but he knew what the expectations were going and and he's currently not meeting them so the time will come (if everything stays the same) that he knows he hasn't performed.
    Last edited by T_Mizz; 04-20-2009 at 02:31 PM.