Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Carver: job on the line

But all that hard work was for naught when referee Tim Weyland ruled that defender Marvell Wynne handled the ball inside the box with just seven minutes left to play.
    "When your job is threatened, and on the line, because of decisions like that, then I've got to say something," said Carver after Kenny Cooper's spot kick, his second goal of the game, gave FC Dallas its first win of the season. "I'm having a go at the referee today."
    http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/te....jsp&team=t280

There is something behind this outburst...
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If its true, I wonder who they have as a replacement, im sure its just him saying that he feels like his job is threatened from play like this
    Last edited by Ossington Mental Youth; 04-20-2009 at 10:31 AM. Reason: added IF its true

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just saying this seems to show he is not feeling too secure right now.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I'm just saying this seems to show he is not feeling too secure right now.
    Well, its not like hes got any reason he should feel secure.

Unless of course him and Mo are just having a laugh duping all these stupid Canadians who seem to think 'British accent = great football mind'.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they are well aware of the actions that will be taken if the season does not improve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the fuck is Carver thinking...this man is a joke. Seriously...blaming it on the refs? Why not blame it on his total lack of knowledge and inability to do anything behind he bench for the Reds. Although the referee wasn't the greatest, the handball was not some crazy, insane call that would only have been made in the MLS. Those calls have been given in every league around the world including the elite leagues in Europe. TFC shouldn't be struggling to beat one of the worst teams in the league. It's just a disgrace to see Carver saying those kind of things. Trying to cover his own arse like a child in the playground. Rubbish!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The guy is all talk.. as a coach he sucks.. maybe he should apply as a PR guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alarius View Post
    The guy is all talk.. as a coach he sucks.. maybe he should apply as a PR guy.
    nah...he's too honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GBV View Post
    nah...he's too honest.
    Maybe he should be honest with himself.

Did he ever stop and think that maybe his constant harassment of the officiating is causing them to target our team even more?

Just leave it be John. Every team in the league is playing with these refs. Deal with it already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LucaGol View Post
    Maybe he should be honest with himself.

Did he ever stop and think that maybe his constant harassment of the officiating is causing them to target our team even more?.
    it can't hurt our team, since every coach in MLS harasses the refs.

You should have heard Jason Kreis of RSL last year... he even got suspended for it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    it can't hurt our team, since every coach in MLS harasses the refs.

You should have heard Jason Kreis of RSL last year... he even got suspended for it.
    I think we both agree that JC takes complaining to a different level.

I mean he's practically in the 4th official's ear the entire game.

Kreis lost it that one time. JC's always losing his shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do think Carver has been effective but I do believe he is a geniunely good guy, which makes me feel for him. However, if anyone here thinks that Mo will not throw him under the bus...think again. Mo knows that his job is threatened and the best way to buy time to continue his reign as "pimp supreme with a 5 year plan" is to fire the coach. I am sure Carver knows that.
    Last edited by wzhxvy; 04-20-2009 at 10:52 AM.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wzhxvy View Post
    I do think Carver has been effective but I do believe he is a geniunely good guy, which makes me feel for him. However, if anyone here thinks that Mo will not throw him under the bus...think again. Mo knows that his job is threatened and the best way to buy time to continue his reign as "pimp supreme with a 5 year plan" is to fire the coach. I am sure Carver knows that.
    Definitely not beyond the realm of possibility. Maybe the real question should be who are we better of keeping - Mo or Carver? And why specifically?
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Definitely not beyond the realm of possibility. Maybe the real question should be who are we better of keeping - Mo or Carver? And why specifically?
    The biggest problem with Carver is he has no management history of being a winner -- so he can only guess at what it takes to build and motivate a winning team.

There is a problem with the evolution of TFC. We started as a shit team with phenomenal support, whereas we should have started as a shit team with no support. As the team grew, and got better, people would become interested in them, and supported them. The flip side to this is, we have furnished MLSE with a lot of money, which should be reinvested into the club, to ensure the loyal and devoted fans are kept happy. That has not happened. Part of the investment in the club, should have been sourcing and hiring a top knotch manager to build a team worthy of the support. Instead, MLSE hired John Carver, and we got what THEY paid for.

John doesn't have it in him to win. You can let him have a 5-year plan, or a 10-year plan, but he will blame the refs, or claim we dominated play, and we will still be as good as he is.

When we won 3-2 against KC, it reminded me of the saying 'even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.'

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
    When we won 3-2 against KC, it reminded me of the saying 'even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.'
    And this is a problem some of you have. You just see the negative in every result.

We played really well in KC, and could have won that game by a huge margin, if not for our finishing. The defense bent, but it didn't break, save for two ranged rockets from Davy Arnaud, that were about 25 yards out, and were perfectly blasted into the top corner.

We didn't look like "blind squirrels" getting lucky, on that night. We looked like a formidable offensive team with a suspect - but not disastrous - defense. Basically, we looked like exactly the kind of team many of us were expecting going into this season.

Since then, we have looked like blind squirrels.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    And this is a problem some of you have. You just see the negative in every result.

We played really well in KC, and could have won that game by a huge margin, if not for our finishing. The defense bent, but it didn't break, save for two ranged rockets from Davy Arnaud, that were about 25 yards out, and were perfectly blasted into the top corner.

We didn't look like "blind squirrels" getting lucky, on that night. We looked like a formidable offensive team with a suspect - but not disastrous - defense. Basically, we looked like exactly the kind of team many of us were expecting going into this season.

- Scott
    Seriously...Scott wake UP!!! they are playing like SHIT!! Just admit it and stop lying to yourself!!

Yeah maybe in a month or so they might play a whole lot better, but right now they are GARBAGE!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post

- Scott
    Scott -- Hence the blind squirrel analogy (we won, and now we cannot win). I would like nothing more than to be a gloating, very happy TFC fan -- who adores his team, and enjoys them playing entertaining, compelling, attacking football.

Part of being a fan of any team is to demand results, and to no blindly shower them with adoration. We should, and must demand results EVERY game, and any talk of a long-term plan is just nonsense. John Carver has had a very fair shake of the stick, and he just is not good enough himself to take the team to a higher level. The owners, management, and players of TFC are answerable to us, the people who allow there to be a TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread was about Carver so I decided to keep it strictly on him....don't even get me started on RatFuck Trader Mo...Total farce. All the man has is a scottish accent and shitfuck attitude.

MUFC_Niagara

Quote Originally Posted by BleedRed View Post
    This thread was about Carver so I decided to keep it strictly on him....don't even get me started on RatFuck Trader Mo...Total farce. All the man has is a scottish accent and shitfuck attitude.
    Very insightful comment. These are the kind of posts that make this board an excellent place to visit. If only more people would post constructive critism like this we'd be in business!

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The run of 5 home games in the next 6 matches is definitely going to be key for Carver, if things stay as they are the pressure will reach boiling point.

That said, it's not just down to him. On paper the team looks great (save one of our CB positions) but they are just not playing to their potential. The coach has to take some of the blame for that, but the players must also know they are not doing well enough. The Seattle game was a nightmare, and there's no way all the individual poor performances can be placed on Carver's head.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posted this in other thread but seems to fit better here.

Positives about Carver from yesterday's game, and yes, there's a bit of straw clutching going on here, but they're all valid points.

1- The first 15-20 minutes or so (presumbaly Carver's plan A)we played alright, were keeping possession and created good chances that were wasted.
    2- Our first goal was some kind of trick corner play straight for the training ground, presumably choreographed by Carver.
    3- After half time, we played better, Presumably inspired by Carver.
    4- When we were down 2-1 and needing to change things up and take chances, he was ready to bring Velez on, and go 3-5-2 with wynne and Brennan pushed further forward. This would be evidence of changing things around and adapting to the situation which people say he can't do.
    5- Then we scored so the situation changed and he again adapted by not going to the more risky option and sticking with the formation that was working.
    6- After they scored their 3rd, he did try substitutions to give us a better chance of scoring.

Is everything perfect and problem free? absolutely not. Should Carver be fired? maybe. Does it seem like he'd be better as an assistant coach than as the main man? yep.

But is he the clueless clown he gets portrayed as here? nope.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure what people perceive Mo's role to be, but for me he brought in some great players in the off season for some seriously brilliant trades, played the draft like a fiddle and has stock piled allocation money like a genius. He's not the coach and he can't bring in a DP without MLSE giving him the cash. SO what more do people really want from him?

De Rosario
    Serioux
    Vitti
    Frei
    Cronin
    OBW
    Robbo re-signed for 2 years

There's no other team in the league that has an off-season acquisition list as good as ours, and we hardly gave up anything in return.

EDIT - before anyone says it, Seattle don't count because they're an expansion team...
    Last edited by Hitcho; 04-20-2009 at 10:49 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    I'm not sure what people perceive Mo's role to be, but for me he brought in some great players in the off season for some seriously brilliant trades, played the draft like a fiddle and has stock piled allocation money like a genius. He's not the coach and he can't bring in a DP without MLSE giving him the cash. SO what more do people really want from him?

De Rosario
    Serioux
    Vitti
    Frei
    Cronin
    OBW
    Robbo re-signed for 2 years

There's no other team in the league that has an off-season acquisition list as good as ours, and we hardly gave up anything in return.
    If only we didnt have to play the games, right?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    If only we didnt have to play the games, right?
    er, what?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    er, what?
    To use a cliche as old as sports, the games arent played on paper.

The additions look great on paper. Unfortunately, with a nearly full compliment of healthy players, we have managed one victory.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    To use a cliche as old as sports, the games arent played on paper.

The additions look great on paper. Unfortunately, with a nearly full compliment of healthy players, we have managed one victory.
    Ah, gotcha. Agreed with what you say in this post. Where I think we disgaree is how quickly we react to a few bad results by firing the coach.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some people just have a hate on for mo.

I do want to see more from Carver, i had higher hopes for this season adn theres still time for him to pull it out. I do think Mo is to blame as well and if we dont see playoffs Mos gotta go too. Im just scared we will go down a level in management, thats another concern for another time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    some people just have a hate on for mo.

I do want to see more from Carver, i had higher hopes for this season adn theres still time for him to pull it out. I do think Mo is to blame as well and if we dont see playoffs Mos gotta go too. Im just scared we will go down a level in management, thats another concern for another time
    Naw this gives them something else to bitch about when they don't get what they want next year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    Naw this gives them something else to bitch about when they don't get what they want next year.
    Doubt it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LucaGol View Post
    Doubt it
    Maybe we should just bench Carver for a bit, and have Cummings take over, maybe giving him 2 games on the bench will make his head clear, and see the light..