Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    exactly Montreal is a minor league town at best, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...no pro league outside of
    Hockey should give that city a franchise, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah....Hear that Mr. Voice-Inside-My-Head...WHERE'S MY BLOW UP SEX DOLL?!!
    Fixed!

You're welcome.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    Based on what? There are less markets to go to and the economic climate sucks, and will for a long time.
    It most likely won't cost him more, and just may be less.
    It's just too early really to speculate to be honest.
    It can't be less than $35m because every other MLS franchise will be worth less and the league will have to give Portland and Vancouver money back. They will wait until someone is willing to pay $40m or $45m or whatever. If no one is willing to pay that for 10 years then they won't expand for 10 years. Which is fine by me cos 18 teams is good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    exactly Montreal is a minor league town at best...no pro league outside of
    Hockey should give that city a franchise....Hear that Mr Saputo...NO to Montreal in MLS!!
    What, you think having a team in Dallas makes more sense - who can't get even get 7,000 fans out on beautiful weekend day? Montreal's USL attendance is much better than that; and they certainly have shown that can get 50,000 out for a big game, unlike MLS teams playing in the Champions League.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55 View Post
    It can't be less than $35m because every other MLS franchise will be worth less and the league will have to give Portland and Vancouver money back. They will wait until someone is willing to pay $40m or $45m or whatever. If no one is willing to pay that for 10 years then they won't expand for 10 years. Which is fine by me cos 18 teams is good.
    I'm just throwing it out there. I don't necessarily think it will. But what I do know is the goal posts keep moving with MLS and Garber that who knows where anything is really going to end up.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are some people forgetting the Impact packed 55,000 in the Big Owe for Champions League?

This may come as a shock to those less grounded in reality, but that actually happens to be a lot of people. Montreal can easily support the Impact in MLS.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55 View Post
    Qwest Field in Seattle is soccer specific and perfect for MLS at capacity 27k that can be upgraded for big matches. Vancouver and Portland will also be SSS.
    have you forgotten about the Seattle Seagulls, i know they dont win too often at home, but they do play there, and the stadium holds some 70k, they just close the top half for footy. i wouldnt be suprised if those damn football line show up once Matt Hassleback and company return to playing there, (on a side not, why do you still see the gridiron line in Giants stadium in april! its not like they are playing games)

As for Vancouver, the bc lions, they will still play at bc place, so no its not soccer specific, you wont be able to sit close to the action as the bleachers will be far removed from the pitch, in order to accomodate the lions.

Whilte we are on the topic of soccer specific stadiums why dont we add RFK to the list, as DC is the only pro team stupid enough to play there... you could call it soccer specific, or an eye sore.

So really Seattle, San Jose, Vancouver dont play in soccer specific stadiums, (and to clear the air, neither does DC) but all paid in excess of 30 mil to get a franchise!

Don Garber = Money

Don Garber does not care about the state of soccer in north america, unless that caring helps him line his own pockets

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkers View Post
    Don Garber = Money

Don Garber does not care about the state of soccer in north america, unless that caring helps him line his own pockets
    I wish I could get that framed. So many people assumed there wouldn't be anymore Canadian MLS clubs after Toronto's franchise because the USSF demands more American teams to develop talent with. That may be true, but it wasn't enough to stop Garber from awarding a franchise to Vancouver or possibly Montreal in the future. Why not? Because those cities have a greater potential than many other candidates to generate money for.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 04-21-2009 at 12:19 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkers View Post
    have you forgotten about the Seattle Seagulls, i know they dont win too often at home, but they do play there, and the stadium holds some 70k, they just close the top half for footy. i wouldnt be suprised if those damn football line show up once Matt Hassleback and company return to playing there, (on a side not, why do you still see the gridiron line in Giants stadium in april! its not like they are playing games)

As for Vancouver, the bc lions, they will still play at bc place, so no its not soccer specific, you wont be able to sit close to the action as the bleachers will be far removed from the pitch, in order to accomodate the lions.

Whilte we are on the topic of soccer specific stadiums why dont we add RFK to the list, as DC is the only pro team stupid enough to play there... you could call it soccer specific, or an eye sore.

So really Seattle, San Jose, Vancouver dont play in soccer specific stadiums, (and to clear the air, neither does DC) but all paid in excess of 30 mil to get a franchise!

Don Garber = Money

No I haven't forgotten about the Seattle Seahawks. Soccer Specific does NOT mean Soccer only. It means you control your own revenue, have some say in the dates, the sightlines are good and it feels like a footy stadium. I was at their home opener and Qwest is more of a soccer stadium than BMO field.