Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    But what if a lot of taxpayers want a little bit of their money spent like this?

I realize you can't have a referendum on every single issue (especially when it comes to a couple of bucks per taxpayer), but you can't ignore the people who would support this.

Soccer has been underfunded in Canada for a long time. A lot of people feel this way.
    Well, then I suggest the Ultras in Montreal and their friends get their asses in gear and contact their MPs and MLAs.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is so stupid.
    the man wants government help to get the impact in.
    but he's willing to dish out 500 million to buy the montreal canadians.
    at least the man has a good sense of investment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cougars732 View Post
    this is so stupid.
    the man wants government help to get the impact in.
    but he's willing to dish out 500 million to buy the montreal canadians.
    at least the man has a good sense of investment
    Yeap, so he is basically saying, well Mr. Government, if you helped Toronto, then you must help me.

So it's like me saying

Well Mr. Government, since you gave welfare money out this year to some people, how about you give me some too? Oh in the meantime, I'm finally going to get an Audi R8 which has been on my list of things I've wanted for a while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Yeap, so he is basically saying, well Mr. Government, if you helped Toronto, then you must help me.

So it's like me saying

Well Mr. Government, since you gave welfare money out this year to some people, how about you give me some too? Oh in the meantime, I'm finally going to get an Audi R8 which has been on my list of things I've wanted for a while.
    Not the same thing at all. You think the government did not know that if they wanted to, MLSE could have funded the entire stadium themselves? It isn't the same as giving out welfare. This is about making sound investments ... even if it does benefit some private parties in the short run.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    Yeah but these stadiums (at least BMO) are owned but the gov't. Saputo Stadium is owned by Saputo. Is he looking to sell his interest in the Stadium or does he just want a handout?
    I can't imagine they own the stadium in it's entirety - I just don't believe the OIB would hand over part of the Olympic facility to a private landowner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Because there are better ways to spend $25 million of taxpayer's money. That's why.
    If you don't similarly object to the government funding of BMO you are a hypocrite, cash. what is it?

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one will convince me that he didn't think of this before. The moron tried to low ball MLS and he got screwed. Now he's on his hands and knees saying he'll collaborate if the government does. Honestly, this man made a big mistake and he's realized it.
    And this morning the announcement is that he is interested in joining a group involved in the purchase of the Montreal Canadiens.

Just a businessman doing business. If he doesn't ask he will never get any extra dough to use in his various projects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we start calling them the Montreal bailouts?

(even though we got same money)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    If you don't similarly object to the government funding of BMO you are a hypocrite, cash. what is it?
    haha.. so much for my little joke. I should have figured this would have been covered by the 37th post.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No government handouts to this assclown Saputo...there are too many people losing jobs , homes, etc to send money to Saputo....to Joey Saputo take you team and stuff it up you rear end MLS does not need you!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf88 View Post
    Federal, Provincial and Municipal money all went towards the National Soccer Stadium.

.......TBH that 25 mil shud be going towards making BMO a real NSS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, then I suggest the Ultras in Montreal and their friends get their asses in gear and contact their MPs and MLAs.
    FUCK montreal , they can draw 55k for the chokepackt but they cant fill that Piece of shit stadium for Our footy team. CUT them off already send these fuckers back to france. Why does anyone on here support this or them after what took place at the canada game there is BEYOND ME.

rant-over.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_torontofc_2008 View Post
    No government handouts to this assclown Saputo...there are too many people losing jobs , homes, etc to send money to Saputo....to Joey Saputo take you team and stuff it up you rear end MLS does not need you!!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one will convince me that he didn't think of this before. The moron tried to low ball MLS and he got screwed. Now he's on his hands and knees saying he'll collaborate if the government does. Honestly, this man made a big mistake and he's realized it.
    exactly thats why Garber should let his team sit on the sidelines for a while, 5-10 years at least...there are other importnat markets MLS need
    to focus on, a second NY team, getting back to wither Tampa or Miami,
    San Diego, Minnestoa just to name a few...before even considering
    the Impact....

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

exactly thats why Garber should let his team sit on the sidelines for a while, 5-10 years at least...there are other importnat markets MLS need
    to focus on, a second NY team, getting back to wither Tampa or Miami,
    San Diego, Minnestoa just to name a few...before even considering
    the Impact....
    Those cities you mention aren't anywheres close to putting up a serious bid for an MLS team. Barcelona withdrew its bid for a team in Miami because of how underwhelming the market is.

As Craig Forrest just mentioned on Soccercentral, no matter how big MLS gets, they can't and won't ignore Montreal. Try not to cry too much when they do get in.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Methinks you need to take a look at my previous posts on the topic of government subsidies for sporting venues. If you do, you will note my objections toward the use of public money for BMO Field as well. Previous posts such as...
    ...So you see, my position is actually very conservative. In the case of BMO Field, I believe that the government shouldn't really have anything to do with the business of building a stadium. Sport is a business afterall, so leave it up to the private sector. Because BMO Field WAS mostly built with taxpayer's money - it's only fair that the public gets some use of it.

I agree, some things are best kept seperate. I say we let the government build roads, hospitals, and schools; and the multi-million dollar sports organisations build the stadia for their own use.
    . Mike's Majors and Brampton battalion all playing at their own venues in relatively close proximity to each other. Why do we allow municipalities or other levels of government chip in for the cost of these mulitple venues? People have to realise that these buildings don't simply grow on trees, and the cost of a new publically-funded arena or stadium can easily pay for a new school or hospital ward. I'm not saying that it's not always a good investment on the behalf of the government, but it certainly doesn't seem like people are taking into account the real costs involved.
    I certainly hope an apology for the implication of hypocrisy is on the horizon here.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 04-19-2009 at 12:22 AM.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

I_AM_CANADIAN

Expanding the stadium- which I think Saputo also said would include building a roof over the whole thing- would provide jobs, something people are losing on a regular basis. Of course, it'd be ideal if he could fund the thing with his own money, but I don't see this as such a bad thing.

Also, after reading up, I am once again reminded of how nice the ignore feature is when mightytorontofc2008 is still posting here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think the real mistake here is by don garber. He will regret not letting the impact into the mls. He has been very clear that expansion teams need to have a 20,000 seat soccer specific stadium. Now looking at expansion after Toronto, San Jose...seriouly it looks like a pile of shit, with some grass in the center, seattle, not soccer specific, phillly, shaky with respect to funding, Vancouver, not soccer specific, and Portland.

Good on Saputo for low balling the MLS, they are only in it for the 40 mil, they dont really care where you play, as long as you pay, and after a few seasons and a team (kc, the KKKrew, NE) moves from there respiective home, don garber will go knocking on montreals door, and guess what, it will be a low low pice tag, Saputo will be in the MLS and for less then any other team before him, hate the team, respect the business man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkers View Post
    Good on Saputo for low balling the MLS, they are only in it for the 40 mil, they dont really care where you play, as long as you pay, and after a few seasons and a team (kc, the KKKrew, NE) moves from there respiective home, don garber will go knocking on montreals door, and guess what, it will be a low low pice tag, Saputo will be in the MLS and for less then any other team before him, hate the team, respect the business man
    KC and NE aren't going anywhere.

KC has a new stadium on the way and NE's owner owns the stadium they play in. The Crew, maybe? But no team in MLS has ever been moved. Contracted, yes, but never moved.

Garber is also very strong willed. He doesn't give in, since he has all the power here. He'll get from Saputo the same fee Vancouver and Portland paid, or more. He has never taken less in expansion fees than the previous expansion round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post

As Craig Forrest just mentioned on Soccercentral, no matter how big MLS gets, they can't and won't ignore Montreal.

Why not? The NBA, NFL and Major League Baseball all ignore Montreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    KC and NE aren't going anywhere.

But no team in MLS has ever been moved. Contracted, yes, but never moved.
    San Jose to Houston?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Methinks you need to take a look at my previous posts on the topic of government subsidies for sporting venues. If you do, you will note my objections toward the use of public money for BMO Field as well. Previous posts such as...

I certainly hope an apology for the implication of hypocrisy is on the horizon here.
    Not at all, I began my post with an IF. Meaning that if the first statement is true then the second statement is true also.

By clarifying the first statement is false, you have ascertained the second statement is also false.

Why do I need to apologise for that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, no sign of a loaded or hostile question there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, no sign of a loaded or hostile question there.
    Well that clears that up then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No! I demand my pound of flesh, Exiled!

Like maybe a good side of Strip Loin.

Or Brisket.
    Last edited by Cashcleaner; 04-19-2009 at 12:51 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saputo is a business man... no doubt about it
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dunkers View Post
    i think the real mistake here is by don garber. He will regret not letting the impact into the mls. He has been very clear that expansion teams need to have a 20,000 seat soccer specific stadium. Now looking at expansion after Toronto, San Jose...seriouly it looks like a pile of shit, with some grass in the center, seattle, not soccer specific, phillly, shaky with respect to funding, Vancouver, not soccer specific, and Portland.

Qwest Field in Seattle is soccer specific and perfect for MLS at capacity 27k that can be upgraded for big matches. Vancouver and Portland will also be SSS.

Saputo low-balling MLS cost him a franchise that he would have eventually only paid $35m. To get in the league in 2013 or later will cost him at least $45m. He should have just paid the $10m in 2003 when Garber offered it to him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza_55 View Post
    Saputo low-balling MLS cost him a franchise that he would have eventually only paid $35m. To get in the league in 2013 or later will cost him at least $45m. He should have just paid the $10m in 2003 when Garber offered it to him.
    Based on what? There are less markets to go to and the economic climate sucks, and will for a long time.
    It most likely won't cost him more, and just may be less.
    It's just too early really to speculate to be honest.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Red View Post
    Why not? The NBA, NFL and Major League Baseball all ignore Montreal.
    exactly Montreal is a minor league town at best...no pro league outside of
    Hockey should give that city a franchise....Hear that Mr Saputo...NO to Montreal in MLS!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

exactly Montreal is a minor league town at best...no pro league outside of
    Hockey should give that city a franchise....Hear that Mr Saputo...NO to Montreal in MLS!!
    Actually, with the right ownership Montreal would be a great soccer market. I know you aren't interested in the CFL but starting in the 90's minoir league football went through a renaissance in Quebec and the Als in Molson stadium benefitted from that.

Now, like almost everywhere in north America minor soccer is huge and a pro team in Quebec would do really well.

The Als didn't do very well in Olympic Stadium, though, so it's not a slam dunk, but it can be done.