Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Saputo wants government money

MONTREAL — The Montreal Impact is seeking $25 million in government funding to expand its stadium and strengthen its bid for a Major League Soccer franchise.

Joey Saputo, president of the United Soccer Leagues club, said the decision was inspired by government funding of stadiums to be used by the two teams recently granted franchises by MLS for 2011 - Vancouver and Portland, Ore.

"It's something we never looked at and it's something we'll have to, or else we're going to see the train pass again and that's something we can't let happen," Saputo said Wednesday at a team banquet.

"We worked hard to develop the sport of soccer in Quebec and we have to start being more aggressive because infrastructure money is available and we can't be shy to take a look at potentially getting some of that money so we can bring the next level of soccer here, which would be the MLS."
    Read More
    Last edited by denime; 04-16-2009 at 05:38 AM.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a bad idea

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell him to go fuck himself. There's a recession going on if the guy wasn't aware. Fucking unbelievable. People are losing their jobs and their savings are drying up, and somehow this guy is thinking that right now is the best time for the government to hand over 25 million dollars so he can put more seats in at his own stadium.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Tell him to go fuck himself. There's a recession going on if the guy wasn't aware. Fucking unbelievable. People are losing their jobs and their savings are drying up, and somehow this guy is thinking that right now is the best time for the government to hand over 25 million dollars so he can put more seats in at his own stadium.
    If it brings increased prosperity to Montreal why the fuck not?

Should the money be going toward the CEO of CIBC's bonus?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and id like some of that innernets money
    why wouldnt the government just give it to the national team if they were concerned with the state of canadian soccer (outside of trying to cater to seperatists). Ill be amazed if either happens and frankly i think its a bit ridiculous for him to ask

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    and id like some of that innernets money
    why wouldnt the government just give it to the national team if they were concerned with the state of canadian soccer ?
    Because funding the CSA, is like giving my 5 year old son $500 a week to keep my car on the road.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Because funding the CSA, is like giving my 5 year old son $500 a week to keep my car on the road.
    yep i dont disagree with that but the argument of supporting national soccer still stands, regardless of how shit the organization is, its still our national organization, where as Montreal will be a local thing benefiting the national team barely.

I hate montreal with a passion, as much as i hate columbus but i would still love to see them in the MLS as itd be an amazing derby for sure. That being said i dont think gov money should go to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree

More well run professional local clubs in Canada, with academies and canadian players will benefit the national team much more than stuffing wads of cash down the toilet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair is fair ... if we benefited from government funding, why can't Montreal? And the current economic climate should have very little bearing on this decision. There are sporting infrastructures being funded all throughout the country as we speak (even in Montreal with the Molson Stadium expansion).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats pretty reasonable argument, as vancouvers youth teams have an overwhelming presence on the u-20s if im not mistaken and it does make sense that a good majority of players in the academy will play for the nat's if called up but i still dont think youll be able to convince alot of people to donate a sizeable chunk of their taxes to soccer in this climate let alone a team in the mls in quebec.

Also im a little hesitant in believing that Saputo really has Canadian soccer's best interest in mind.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Fair is fair ... if we benefited from government funding, why can't Montreal? And the current economic climate should have very little bearing on this decision. There are sporting infrastructures being funded all throughout the country as we speak (even in Montreal with the Molson Stadium expansion).
    i might be wrong but wasnt it ontario that helped fund, if thats the case, they should go to quebec provincial, if not then youre right, fair is fair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Federal, Provincial and Municipal money all went towards the National Soccer Stadium.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    i might be wrong but wasnt it ontario that helped fund, if thats the case, they should go to quebec provincial, if not then youre right, fair is fair
    I think the majority of the funding was secured through the federal government ... the remaining was contributed by the province and the city.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems fair enough. Ottawa is seeking government money. Toronto FC got a mostly government-funded stadium. And the Whitecaps will be playing in a government-funded stadium (both original construction and renovations).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BMO Field and BC Place are also both involved in some of the biggest sporting events to ever be hosted here.
    Animals Eaten:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf88 View Post
    BMO Field and BC Place are also both involved in some of the biggest sporting events to ever be hosted here.
    Some would argue that funding a roof that goes on afterwards the Olympics should not count as funding the events themselves but that is irrelevant as I believe that it was the right choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if he gets it, and I'm not against i because it woudl provide not only short term construction employment but also in theory an economic benefit to the city of Montreal assuming they get an MLS team, it should come out of the infrastructure stimulus fund with the attached requirements, like matching funds from the city and province.

and also, BMO Field got $27mil from the federal government, though it is (city) government owned, whereas Saputo Stadium has so far been built with zero public funds I believe

EDIT: interesting side note, a year ago, Saputo was willing to shell otu $12mil fo the $24mil expected cost for expanision

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/270320...s-mls-bid.html

Impact president Joey Saputo has confirmed he is holding discussions with Gillett with a view to a deal which would see the pair split the $30million (£15m) franchise as well as sharing the cost of a $12m (£6m) expansion of the Saputo Stadium.
    Last edited by drewski; 04-16-2009 at 07:18 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Seems fair enough. Ottawa is seeking government money. Toronto FC got a mostly government-funded stadium. And the Whitecaps will be playing in a government-funded stadium (both original construction and renovations).
    Yeah but these stadiums (at least BMO) are owned but the gov't. Saputo Stadium is owned by Saputo. Is he looking to sell his interest in the Stadium or does he just want a handout?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    Yeah but these stadiums (at least BMO) are owned but the gov't. Saputo Stadium is owned by Saputo. Is he looking to sell his interest in the Stadium or does he just want a handout?
    but neither are owned by the fed government who is providing the money

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But that $25 million would be going into stadium design, construction and logistics, all of which would create jobs and opportunities. It's the same as a capitol project except that it's a stadium instead of a bridge or whatever. Recession wise it makes no difference if the money goes to saputo for a new stadium or for a new capitol project in montreal. It's not like he's going to pocket the money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree

More well run professional local clubs in Canada, with academies and canadian players will benefit the national team much more than stuffing wads of cash down the toilet.
    Agreed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm surprised Saputo didn't explore this avenue before, considering his team is closely partnered with the gov already.
    Last edited by rocker; 04-16-2009 at 09:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. Absolutely.
    Do it yourself.
    I am sure he can afford it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf88 View Post
    Exactly. He should have thought of this before the U-20 WC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Exactly. He should have thought of this before the U-20 WC
    It seems like everyone has been taken by surprise by the interest in soccer in Canada. BMO was built on the cheap and MLSE invested very little in a team because it looked like a huge risk. What does it look like now?

Even a year ago would anyone have imagined 50,000 at Olympic stadium in Montreal for a CONCACAF Champions League game?

So, he didn't think of it back then, now he's looking at moving forward. It's really not a huge investment for the government and it will be worth it.

I still say that within ten years Canada could have a pro soccer league with as good attendance and as good TV ratings as the CFL gets. This would be just another step down that road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one will convince me that he didn't think of this before. The moron tried to low ball MLS and he got screwed. Now he's on his hands and knees saying he'll collaborate if the government does. Honestly, this man made a big mistake and he's realized it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    No one will convince me that he didn't think of this before. The moron tried to low ball MLS and he got screwed. Now he's on his hands and knees saying he'll collaborate if the government does. Honestly, this man made a big mistake and he's realized it.

yep i agree 100%

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it brings increased prosperity to Montreal why the fuck not?

Should the money be going toward the CEO of CIBC's bonus?
    Because there are better ways to spend $25 million of taxpayer's money. That's why.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because there are better ways to spend $25 million of taxpayer's money.
    But what if a lot of taxpayers want a little bit of their money spent like this?

I realize you can't have a referendum on every single issue (especially when it comes to a couple of bucks per taxpayer), but you can't ignore the people who would support this.

Soccer has been underfunded in Canada for a long time. A lot of people feel this way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shouldn't the title read "Saputo wants government cheese"?