Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Slow News Day News: WPS

I know, I know, it is WOMEN's soccer (partnered with MLS, so that makes it TFC/MLS news I hope) but it is actually not as bad as you'd expect, I watched a few highlights here: http://fancorner.womensprosoccer.com...=1737n3erwqbwt
    And I must say there are a few things that really stand out:
    1) Marta is unfair, not to say that she plays an unfair game, but the fact that she is allowed on the pitch is ridiculous. She is head and shoulders knees and toes, knees and toes, head and shoulders knees and toes above every other woman, and at 5'4 that seems unlikely but true. She often draws triple teams and beats them, there is no male equivalent, except possibly Ronaldo playing in the MLS right now.
    2) It is not as bad as you'd expect, the quality is there as these ladies are the best of the best, its not as in the men's game where its debatable as to which league is best, with the best talent being spread out. I wouldn't consider anyone on here to be soccer snobs as we do follow a league that is very far down the list of quality, so I encourage you to check it out yourselves.
    3) This is one of the bad things I noticed, because it is the best of the best there isn't as much parity from woman to woman with some being way too good for the others to handle.

PS *Standings Update* LA Sol, as expected are top of the table with 6 pts and a 4-0 GD, FC Gold Pride and Chicago Red Stars are next each with 3 pts and a +1 GD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have enjoyed the two WPS games I've watched on tv so far. For teams literally brand new with very few preseason tune ups, not too bad. Not so much boot the ball, more passing.

I do have to mention that WPS is MUCH more tuned into building fan support through the internet, social networking, etc. It makes sense, they aren't assuming that just putting teams on the field will draw attendance. They know it has to be built up over time but aren't wasting any time in starting those efforts. MLS could do much better as a league regarding audience building and as we know some teams are absolutely tone deaf regarding building a decent attendance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Admittedly I could go for more football tradition, mostly the trading shirts after the game

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would we expect it's bad?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Weren't you here for the "would you support a ladies TFC" it was just pages and pages of women's sports bashing.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy. Shit. I just watched my first Marta highlight... that was unbelievable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I know now you get when I say its unfair she's unreal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The quality of play was far better than what I expected seeing those highlights.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She reminds me of that kid who wasn't allowed to play Little League because he could throw strikes that were over 100 mph - except she's a professional, playing against other professionals... unbelievable.

Had to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG00nlVmPVo
    Last edited by ginkster88; 04-09-2009 at 10:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow just wow..marta is a goddess!!

i really hope toronto gets a wps team..i would most definitely get seasons.

and obviously ppl were saying that it was going to be bad..have you not realised the level of chauvinism that pervades these boards-women are only good for being cheerleaders..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    wow just wow..marta is a goddess!!

i really hope toronto gets a wps team..i would most definitely get seasons.

and obviously ppl were saying that it was going to be bad..have you not realised the level of chauvinism that pervades these boards-women are only good for being cheerleaders..
    Apparently not at BMO though
    I brought this up in the first thread that this is like the best players from La Liga, Serie A and the Premiership all playing in a 7 team league, its really the best of the best, which makes you think where it rates against the 50th best men's league (just throwing out a number, I've heard lower, I've heard higher)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WPS has many more international players than WUSA did. The womens game has grown substantially since 2003. Of course now the FAs in England and Norway are pissed because we took the best players out of their womens leagues. Ironic, the shoe is on the other foot now! The Germans mostly opted out of coming to WPS, they are choosing to build up their domestic league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saturday April 11th update- Boston Breakers 2-0 Saint Louis Athletica
    Washington Freedom 1-1 Chicago Red Stars
    Sky Blue FC 1-1 FC Gold Pride
    1. LA Sol 6pts +4
    2. FC Gold Pride 4pts +1
    3. Chcago Red Stars 4 pts +1

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

never happen at bmo field
    apparently the women will only play on real grass
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    never happen at bmo field
    apparently the women will only play on real grass
    Zing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    Holy. Shit. I just watched my first Marta highlight... that was unbelievable.
    I remember watching Marta when Canada beat Brazil in the 2002 U-20 World Cup semi-final. Marta looked really good back then, however, Christine Sinclair looked almost as good. Since then Marta has become an amazing player.........I don't think Christine has realized the full potential that she really had...........Evan Pellerud - good riddance......