Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Open Letter to Toronto FC RE: Media

Please continue your discussion here. I'd prefer if the other thread could die, and if possible be renamed and locked. I'll paste the letter below.

You can direct your questions to the club, and if you really need to single out an individual then let it be me.

Here's Tim's letter:

You are aware that as a result certain journalists in Toronto have characterized TFC fans as ‘hooligans” and being part of a “firm”. You have undoubtedly been made aware that a number of commentators have directly blamed TFC supporters groups like the North End Elite, U Sector and the Red patch Boys for encouraging and not addressing this kind of activity. “Hooligan” and “firm” are terms that some media throw around without apparently understand the true meaning of the words and the serious impact they can have on the reputation of an individual or a group.
    You must also be aware that these allegations are for the most part off base. Your own Director of TFC Security stated on a supporters message board this week that “…the behavior of the supporters on Saturday was very good indeed. Other than the throwing of a few cups of beer on the park, during and after the game… it doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine that the overwhelming majority of our supporters come to games with one aim on mind, to watch the Reds win a game of football. But it only takes one or two people who throw things onto the park to have everyone tarred with the same brush. I sincerely encourage the atmosphere we have at BMO, but let’s keep all that energy to supporting the boys and not to doing something stupid that will have a long lasting effect on all of us…”

TFC’s own Director of Security states that he is aware that the actions of a few unaffiliated individuals should not be used to characterize all of us as unruly fans or hooligans. On many occasions Supporters Group members have reported having to address from the general public comments and remarks about alleged hooliganism and behavior that implies that what these individuals are reading about in the media must be true. These comments from the general public are based on the distortions and in some cases outright lies that have been published and have gone unchallenged or corrected by your group.

Toronto FC has marketed the club to a large degree based on the atmosphere and game day experience that the Supporters Groups largely contribute to. Yet when these very individuals and groups, so important to the future success of the club, are slandered and labeled as hooligans and members of firms, we hear nothing from you or your staff to attempt to put the record straight.

I think that before these distortions and half truths become even more believed by the general public it is your group’s responsibility to address these press issues in more of a direct manner. As an employee of a company that owes much of its success to the work and dedication of the Supporters Groups that are so passionate about our club, I strongly feel that you owe us more support and effort to proactively set the record straight than what we have seen from your group to this point. I look forward to your reply.

Thank you
    Tim Drodge

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello! anyone out there????

This is an invitation to address the issue with the personal attacks.
    Speak your mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was still trying to figure out what happened to the last thread...

Also... Champs League is on. Everyone buggered off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm here...I'm just confused about the old thread

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't here for the other thread so I don't know what is going on.

Who is Tim and why is Paul posting his letter? I am so confused...LOL!
    Last edited by Roogsy; 04-08-2009 at 03:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tim is BGNEWF. Not sure about the rest, there was a thread with plenty of good points. I left for a meeting, came back and this was here...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what roogsy said

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's because some were picking on Michelle. I told you this would happen

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why isn't the club sticking up for the Supporters?
    Specifically the organized groups (RPB, NEE, U-S).

We are a big part of your image/brand/marketing (the pic of guy on the front rail with the red smoke, the '300' series ads, etc)

When we could have used some help, we didn't get any, despite asking for it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think everyone went to pee at the same time. you should see the lineups...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlsintoronto View Post
    I think everyone went to pee at the same time. you should see the lineups...
    i say bring'em back....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Troughs, only way to go.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul

I'm repostiong my addition to the letter here. In essence, my concern is that I now have work colleagues asking me if it is safe to bring their children to TFC games. Some look at me a bit suspiciously when before they were pestering me for my tickets if ever I couldn't make a game. Others have posted similar issues on here recently. I sit in 118 and there are families and kids round all the time - so it's a non-issue in reality.

Ultimately there comes a point when this isn't just about the hurt feelings of the supporters or our sense of injustice. It's now starting to impact on the reputation of the ground as a whole, and that means the club will suffer too, which bothers me a lot more than what some idiots in the press think of us. You guys know that a lot of what has been written is trash and dangerous in what it suggests. So for the sake of the club's image as well as that of the fans, how come nothing has been said to try and paint a fairer picture? (That's not an aggrieved demand, it's just a curious question, in case it comes across wrongly e-speak - just wondering what your guys take on the whole thing is).

Cheers

Hitcho
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roogsy - check your PMs...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got it...working on it. That sucks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the recond I echo Hitcho's sentiments in his first post above. I've had people from co-workers to my grandparents ask me about the hooliganism going on with TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must echo the statements to re: work and co-workers (Hitcho / Shaughno)...

I unfortunately have gone back to wearing my black jacket to work over my TFC jacket... First because I was getting sick of the jokes about being tasered - but then the clincher was when I was actually asked by a superior if I was one of the "trouble makers at all the games..." Worst part of that quote 'all the games'...

I wear the team gear and colours with pride, but when it might hurt my career - I must change...

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    For the recond I echo Hitcho's sentiments in his first post above. I've had people from co-workers to my grandparents ask me about the hooliganism going on with TFC.
    Similar instances have happened to me.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As have I and I know many others.

As FluSH posted in another thread, the media may enjoy skewering the big stars and sports figures, but these people have lawyers and agents and PR managers etc., while we are mainly just ordinary people who love our team. These are some very ugly allegations and comparisons being drawn here and they are totally off-base and can cause serious problems in the personal lives of those who proudly declare themselves members of RPB.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, between my co workers and friends questions about Toronto FC poorly behaved fans are almost coming as often as questions about Beckham when he joined the league.

Now many of these questions/jabs from friends are clearly tongue in cheek, but damn the word sure got out there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack, instead of us writing everyone we feel like, why not head up a PR team to put out fires? Much like away drum, tailgate teams... ya know? Just a thought. We have many people here who have gigs inside media venues, no?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    Paul

I'm repostiong my addition to the letter here. In essence, my concern is that I now have work colleagues asking me if it is safe to bring their children to TFC games. Some look at me a bit suspiciously when before they were pestering me for my tickets if ever I couldn't make a game. Others have posted similar issues on here recently. I sit in 118 and there are families and kids round all the time - so it's a non-issue in reality.

This is a very public forum. Understand that as a person who
    a) takes enormous pride in what we (Toronto FC and our Supporters...all of you) have achieved in this city and this country.
    b) makes my living at Toronto FC and rides the emotional ups and downs with all of you
    c) has an 11 and 9 year old who come to every game
    d) is potentially more angry at certain news people than you(!)

I need to be very careful about what I say and how I go about it. Please don't take my silence on this issue as indication of anything. Be aware that I am a public figure on this board...it is no secret who I am. And anything I say here will be taken as official MLSEL word. So I can joke, and make light of the lack of urinals at BMO, but I can't join you in vocalizing what is, frankly, outrage. Your comment above (and most of the others I have read) cut to the bone BECAUSE I AGREE.

I need to take several deep breaths...sleep on it...then sometimes comment and other times shut my mouth. This is one of those times. I need to work in the background on this one.

Paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...a dish best served cold. I get it, sounds good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely understood Paul. It's just hard to take when it seems like the people you are spending your blood, sweat, tears and money on... doesn't seem to do anything to rectify the situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlsintoronto View Post
    This is a very public forum. Understand that as a person who
    a) takes enormous pride in what we (Toronto FC and our Supporters...all of you) have achieved in this city and this country.
    b) makes my living at Toronto FC and rides the emotional ups and downs with all of you
    c) has an 11 and 9 year old who come to every game
    d) is potentially more angry at certain news people than you(!)

I need to be very careful about what I say and how I go about it. Please don't take my silence on this issue as indication of anything. Be aware that I am a public figure on this board...it is no secret who I am. And anything I say here will be taken as official MLSEL word. So I can joke, and make light of the lack of urinals at BMO, but I can't join you in vocalizing what is, frankly, outrage. Your comment above (and most of the others I have read) cut to the bone BECAUSE I AGREE.

I need to take several deep breaths...sleep on it...then sometimes comment and other times shut my mouth. This is one of those times. I need to work in the background on this one.

Paul
    Paul,As always you've reaffirmed my faith in the management of this club. I'm glad to know you're working through this rationally and not just glazing over the issue. Last week was a long week for supporters of the team and I'm sure it wasn't easy for you guys either. Its my personal feeling that the only way to remedy this terrible issue is to hire a bunch of HOT CHEERLEADERS TO DANCE IN THE SOUTHSIDE STANDS!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peterboroughtfcfan View Post
    Paul,As always you've reaffirmed my faith in the management of this club. I'm glad to know you're working through this rationally and not just glazing over the issue. Last week was a long week for supporters of the team and I'm sure it wasn't easy for you guys either. Its my personal feeling that the only way to remedy this terrible issue is to hire a bunch of HOT CHEERLEADERS TO DANCE IN THE SOUTHSIDE STANDS!!!!
    Before I get completely flamed I should point out that I'm joking. If I wanted eye candy I'd go to the Brass Rail

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am already there...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mlsintoronto - completely understand, and thanks for posting to clarify. There are a lot of people feeling maligned by all of this, but who are kind of powerless to do anything about it. Ultimately the best response is to make sure nothing ever happens to feed the media fires further of course, but the problem is it is A) only one or two idiots, and B) they are typically not within the SG fold.

I was actually pretty hurt when colleagues at the law firm I work at came up and started making comments/jokes to me about the TFC "trouble" that goes on. TFC means an awful lot to an awful lot of people (you and your team included) and it's painful to see it being muddied like this after so much work by so many people to establish an amazing atmosphere at BMO Field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks paul for standing up and challenge the false allegations and lies

the damage these false images and irresponsible journalism has a deep impact on the social landscape

my coworkers openly makes fun of TFC fans in the company as hooligans, trouble makers after Star's article written by you know who.

i respect them not as soccer fans, but it has gone to a ridiculous stage that these press articles are leading the general public to prejudice and killing any momentum for this sport to grow.

when i was chatting with my colleague, another RPB that our academy 'beat AC Milan' 3-0. the Star reader quickly interjected his witty comment 'oh so your team is physically beating up the other team like you too now?'

i tried to laugh with him but it hurts like hell to see what the damages are to our reputation as a professional sports club as well as all the die hard supporters
    RPB Road Warrior: supporting Toronto FC anywhere on planet earth

TM: YYZ Red Patch Army #18, FC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely understood Paul. It's just hard to take when it seems like the people you are spending your blood, sweat, tears and money on... doesn't seem to do anything to rectify the situation.
    Yep, I know where you're coming from, but in some ways, what do you expect them to do? They could release a statement that says "our fans are the bestest" but that wouldn't really get to the people who need to hear it, and would sound like they're just protecting their golden goose (how many people here use the acronym ML$E?).

The only thing I can think of that they can do is push their media contacts. The message needs to be in a public medium, and from a third party. It will have to feature quotes and statements for the club, sure, but it can't seem to come from the club or it won't have the same impact (in my mind). To that degree, we can't really tell if anything is going on, can we? For all we know TFC is tapping the MLSE media contacts as we speak (for all we know Brunt's column was already a move by MLSE).

I'm not saying MLSE is doing everything they can, I'm not even saying they're doing anything at all, I'm just saying I understand what a difficult situation Paul has been placed in, and I know I don't envy him. No matter what he does right now, it will be wrong (to some people). The best thing that can happen would be Kelly himself posting a positive article on TFC fans, and having it be on the front page of the star again. I'm not sure if MLSE has the influence (positive or negative) to pull that off, but if they do, that would be optimal.

Also, I have to respect Paul for sticking up for his employees. I'm not sure if (she who will remain nameless) is supposed to be a public figure or not, but it's probably a good idea for Paul to stick himself in between any employee and this message board. Internet message boards are not places for the feint of heart, you have to strike a fine line, and I think Paul does that as well as is possible.