Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Mo on McBride

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Flin Flon, Manitoba
    Posts
    223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Mo on McBride

    Mo Johnston comments on Brian McBride

    Toronto FC Media Relations
    Toronto FC Manager and Director of Soccer Mo Johnston spoke with the media on Thursday following Brian McBride's announcement that he wants to return to MLS.
    http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/te....jsp&team=t280

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    I come from the hills...
    Posts
    17,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Good to know that they are considering it but it definitely seems like Mo's leaning towards value rather than player.

  3. #3
    El Patron
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,919
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Mo could be creative and sign him then extort something out of ANY team who wants him... hopefully this doesnt turn into another Conner Casey.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    East side!
    Posts
    2,654
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    We should be able to get alot of value back for McBride.

    Chicago and Columbus are going to fall all over themselves to bring him in.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto - Annex
    Posts
    10,227
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I love a good extortion ploy!!!

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ossington Ave
    Posts
    8,607
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    There is still a possibility we will get screwed just in the fact that the MLS will prob bend to any preferences McBride has (see the Donovon to Dallas situation). Even then im willing to bet that A) Mo wont let it happen and B) they dont want to upset TFC fans as we are recognized as having a voice.

  7. #7
    Registered
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,231
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    exchange for whatever Chicago's got up front plus allocation - gotta be better than you know who.. this is great - it's like spin the wheel with a guarantee of winning something.. - unless MLS interferes like Os says above
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Flin Flon, Manitoba
    Posts
    223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Dallas didn't get nothing in the Donovon deal... they got Carlos Ruiz, who had scored 50 goals in 72 regular season games, and 13 goals in 10 playoff games, for LA (and was still a flopper - ed.)

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ossington Ave
    Posts
    8,607
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    Dallas didn't get nothing in the Donovon deal... they got Carlos Ruiz, who had scored 50 goals in 72 regular season games, and 13 goals in 10 playoff games, for LA (and was still a flopper - ed.)
    HAHA
    fair enough.
    i stand corrected

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ossington Ave
    Posts
    8,607
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    He was acting up for a while there, but i stand corrected none the less

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sec 111, Row 16
    Posts
    861
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I like how mo stood up a named that a big price was in order - before the MLS got themselves involved to push the deal through for a lesser deal as they have done in the past. Great publicity move IMO

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Flin Flon, Manitoba
    Posts
    223
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Oh ya, definite head case with excess baggage and I wouldn't want him on TFC, but he had quite significant value at the time.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ossington Ave
    Posts
    8,607
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBlades View Post
    I like how mo stood up a named that a big price was in order - before the MLS got themselves involved to push the deal through for a lesser deal as they have done in the past. Great publicity move IMO
    yeah, totally
    Great tactic, just what i like to see from our Mo

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,837
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    There is still a possibility we will get screwed just in the fact that the MLS will prob bend to any preferences McBride has (see the Donovon to Dallas situation). Even then im willing to bet that A) Mo wont let it happen and B) they dont want to upset TFC fans as we are recognized as having a voice.

    Very good point, the MLS has a history of fucking teams over when it comes to this. Thats why i think Mo went public with all this, because he wants MLS to fear screwing us(the fans) over!!!

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What is he gonna sign for? Is this definitely no question going to be a DP deal for whomever gets him? Or could we possibly deal him to Columbus where they will give him max non-DP in exchange for their DP slot and allocation money?

    Also, does CHI has a second DP slot available? They already have Blanco.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    Very good point, the MLS has a history of fucking teams over when it comes to this. Thats why i think Mo went public with all this, because he wants MLS to fear screwing us(the fans) over!!!
    Great point.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sec 111, Row 16
    Posts
    861
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    yeah, totally
    Great tactic, just what i like to see from our Mo
    just noticed you already made that point - good call

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,730
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If TFC gets screwed over in this deal, the All-Star game comming up where all eyes will be on Toronto. Fans would be able to make a protest statement over the lack of transparency and general bush leaguedness of MLS.

    The soccer world: "Why are all the TFC fans so mad?"

    TFC fan: "'Cuz MLS makes up rules as it goes along. They'll do end-runs around their own rules at the merest prospect of making a buck."

    The soccer world: "Oh, I see. Well that's not very professional, is it. Is that the only reason they're angry?"

    TFC fan: "Nope. They don't want pointy-ball played in their soccer stadium either."

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    13,176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Well I think "screwed over" is a relative term. We all know these rules are completely retarded.

  20. #20
    RPB Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, Anywhere.
    Posts
    10,874
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What was the story behind Ladycakes going to Dallas, also I do not think you can compare McBride to Conor Casey as he has a big time MLS backbround and has been successful in the EPL, one of the top flights in the world.

    Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

  21. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    56
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I doubt that MLS will intervene. I assume that McBride decided to leave England for the MLS knowing full well that Toronto had first dibs on him and there was a possibility that he might end up in Toronto.

    I would much rather that we offloaded him to another team that was willing to give us a lot for him.

  22. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    13,176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    Dallas didn't get nothing in the Donovon deal... they got Carlos Ruiz, who had scored 50 goals in 72 regular season games, and 13 goals in 10 playoff games, for LA (and was still a flopper - ed.)
    He wasn't part of the deal, he was the guy they signed instead after their number one option got ruled out.

  23. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    658
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    He wasn't part of the deal, he was the guy they signed instead after their number one option got ruled out.
    The Galaxy and Donovan were already the targets of MLS critics when Donovan executed a sudden exit from German club Bayer Leverkusen just before the start of the 2005 MLS season. Donovan’s preferred MLS destination was Los Angeles, but Dallas was in line to get first crack to claim any new player coming into the league. After some behind-the-scenes machinations, the Galaxy engineered a “trade” with Dallas that sent Ruiz to Dallas for the draft rights to Donovan. The transaction was quick, tidy and very convenient for a league that was very willing to twist its rules in order to accommodate its most marketable star player.

    http://tvsportsdaily.com/article.php...71214072130922

  24. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    F5
    Posts
    13,176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    The Galaxy and Donovan were already the targets of MLS critics when Donovan executed a sudden exit from German club Bayer Leverkusen just before the start of the 2005 MLS season. Donovan’s preferred MLS destination was Los Angeles, but Dallas was in line to get first crack to claim any new player coming into the league. After some behind-the-scenes machinations, the Galaxy engineered a “trade” with Dallas that sent Ruiz to Dallas for the draft rights to Donovan. The transaction was quick, tidy and very convenient for a league that was very willing to twist its rules in order to accommodate its most marketable star player.

    http://tvsportsdaily.com/article.php...71214072130922
    ^ my mistake, you win.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,449
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    no wonder Landy is such a douche, they were all tickling HIS balls until Becks came along... get ready to pelt that wrist kissing shit bag with pink!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •