Thread: Mo on McBride

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mo on McBride

Mo Johnston comments on Brian McBride

Toronto FC Media Relations
    Toronto FC Manager and Director of Soccer Mo Johnston spoke with the media on Thursday following Brian McBride's announcement that he wants to return to MLS.
    http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/te....jsp&team=t280

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to know that they are considering it but it definitely seems like Mo's leaning towards value rather than player.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mo could be creative and sign him then extort something out of ANY team who wants him... hopefully this doesnt turn into another Conner Casey.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should be able to get alot of value back for McBride.

Chicago and Columbus are going to fall all over themselves to bring him in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love a good extortion ploy!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is still a possibility we will get screwed just in the fact that the MLS will prob bend to any preferences McBride has (see the Donovon to Dallas situation). Even then im willing to bet that A) Mo wont let it happen and B) they dont want to upset TFC fans as we are recognized as having a voice.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

exchange for whatever Chicago's got up front plus allocation - gotta be better than you know who.. this is great - it's like spin the wheel with a guarantee of winning something.. - unless MLS interferes like Os says above
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dallas didn't get nothing in the Donovon deal... they got Carlos Ruiz, who had scored 50 goals in 72 regular season games, and 13 goals in 10 playoff games, for LA (and was still a flopper - ed.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    Dallas didn't get nothing in the Donovon deal... they got Carlos Ruiz, who had scored 50 goals in 72 regular season games, and 13 goals in 10 playoff games, for LA (and was still a flopper - ed.)
    HAHA
    fair enough.
    i stand corrected

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was acting up for a while there, but i stand corrected none the less

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like how mo stood up a named that a big price was in order - before the MLS got themselves involved to push the deal through for a lesser deal as they have done in the past. Great publicity move IMO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh ya, definite head case with excess baggage and I wouldn't want him on TFC, but he had quite significant value at the time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBlades View Post
    I like how mo stood up a named that a big price was in order - before the MLS got themselves involved to push the deal through for a lesser deal as they have done in the past. Great publicity move IMO
    yeah, totally
    Great tactic, just what i like to see from our Mo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    There is still a possibility we will get screwed just in the fact that the MLS will prob bend to any preferences McBride has (see the Donovon to Dallas situation). Even then im willing to bet that A) Mo wont let it happen and B) they dont want to upset TFC fans as we are recognized as having a voice.

Very good point, the MLS has a history of fucking teams over when it comes to this. Thats why i think Mo went public with all this, because he wants MLS to fear screwing us(the fans) over!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is he gonna sign for? Is this definitely no question going to be a DP deal for whomever gets him? Or could we possibly deal him to Columbus where they will give him max non-DP in exchange for their DP slot and allocation money?

Also, does CHI has a second DP slot available? They already have Blanco.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    Very good point, the MLS has a history of fucking teams over when it comes to this. Thats why i think Mo went public with all this, because he wants MLS to fear screwing us(the fans) over!!!
    Great point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    yeah, totally
    Great tactic, just what i like to see from our Mo
    just noticed you already made that point - good call

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If TFC gets screwed over in this deal, the All-Star game comming up where all eyes will be on Toronto. Fans would be able to make a protest statement over the lack of transparency and general bush leaguedness of MLS.

The soccer world: "Why are all the TFC fans so mad?"

TFC fan: "'Cuz MLS makes up rules as it goes along. They'll do end-runs around their own rules at the merest prospect of making a buck."

The soccer world: "Oh, I see. Well that's not very professional, is it. Is that the only reason they're angry?"

TFC fan: "Nope. They don't want pointy-ball played in their soccer stadium either."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I think "screwed over" is a relative term. We all know these rules are completely retarded.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What was the story behind Ladycakes going to Dallas, also I do not think you can compare McBride to Conor Casey as he has a big time MLS backbround and has been successful in the EPL, one of the top flights in the world.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt that MLS will intervene. I assume that McBride decided to leave England for the MLS knowing full well that Toronto had first dibs on him and there was a possibility that he might end up in Toronto.

I would much rather that we offloaded him to another team that was willing to give us a lot for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
    He wasn't part of the deal, he was the guy they signed instead after their number one option got ruled out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    He wasn't part of the deal, he was the guy they signed instead after their number one option got ruled out.
    The Galaxy and Donovan were already the targets of MLS critics when Donovan executed a sudden exit from German club Bayer Leverkusen just before the start of the 2005 MLS season. Donovan’s preferred MLS destination was Los Angeles, but Dallas was in line to get first crack to claim any new player coming into the league. After some behind-the-scenes machinations, the Galaxy engineered a “trade” with Dallas that sent Ruiz to Dallas for the draft rights to Donovan. The transaction was quick, tidy and very convenient for a league that was very willing to twist its rules in order to accommodate its most marketable star player.

http://tvsportsdaily.com/article.php...71214072130922

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    The Galaxy and Donovan were already the targets of MLS critics when Donovan executed a sudden exit from German club Bayer Leverkusen just before the start of the 2005 MLS season. Donovan’s preferred MLS destination was Los Angeles, but Dallas was in line to get first crack to claim any new player coming into the league. After some behind-the-scenes machinations, the Galaxy engineered a “trade” with Dallas that sent Ruiz to Dallas for the draft rights to Donovan. The transaction was quick, tidy and very convenient for a league that was very willing to twist its rules in order to accommodate its most marketable star player.

http://tvsportsdaily.com/article.php...71214072130922
    ^ my mistake, you win.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no wonder Landy is such a douche, they were all tickling HIS balls until Becks came along... get ready to pelt that wrist kissing shit bag with pink!