Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    When does the sex happen?
    LOL...I thought somebody would say that.. but hey it's been 3 years already so that's probably questionable anyway..
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I truly value the fact that the team/Paul communicates with the fans/supporters in this forum and others. I really do. So the following comment is not meant to show ingratitude....but....

I think we are, at least a little bit, paying the price on this of corporate ownership, and the fact that the owner also owns the Leafs and Raptors. MLSE is involved with the Toronto papers on many levels, has been for a long time, and it's just not clear to me that it's worth it for MLSE to jump ugly with the Star about this.

TFC is worth $50 million, but MLSE as a whole has been valued at up to $1.5 billion. TFC represents less than 5% of the value of MLSE. I think MLSE save their bullets to manage stories for the far more valuable franchises. Or put another way, perhaps Paul's "freedom of motion" here may be quite limited.

I obviously cannot prove this, but it would be sound business for MLSE to operate this way.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-09-2009 at 04:39 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think they save their bullets to manage stories for the far more valuable franchises.
    Can't say I disagree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlsintoronto View Post
    Fortunately I think this is starting to blow over but you know that the media (whether they realize it or it just happens this way) will continue to compare things at BMO Field to the very worst of football's past.

We are correct to look at arrests in the NFL (for example) or fist fights in the 500-level of the Jays and ask "where's the balance?" but unfortunately we are in a sport that has some baggage. We all need to continue to do what we do, and work hard to stay above reproach...I know all of you sleep well knowing that what you are about.

The view is always better from the high road.

PS I don't mean to suggest that I'm rolling over on this. I will continue to do my best from my chair to keep the media well-informed. I'm still livid over the past week's press, in particular the damage done by one writer.

I appreciate that point of view, and at some level we're just going to have to accept that as reality for now and hopefully work towards changing things, probably slowly, over time. It is annoying though, being blamed or held accountable for something that happened in England 25-30 years ago...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CretanBull View Post
    I appreciate that point of view, and at some level we're just going to have to accept that as reality for now and hopefully work towards changing things, probably slowly, over time. It is annoying though, being blamed or held accountable for something that happened in England 25-30 years ago...
    I don't think we should accept it. Just be reminded that we're playing under a different set of standards.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sully View Post
    Here you are, copied and pasted:

Public Editor, The Toronto Star <publiced@thestar.ca>
    dateThu, Apr 9, 2009 at 4:52 PM
    subjectFW: Keeping the lid on soccer fanatics, by Cathal Kelly.
    mailed-bythestar.ca
    hide details 4:52 PM (20 minutes ago) Reply

Dear Mr. O'Sullivan:
    Thank you for taking time to express your views. I am looking into this matter and will respond to your concerns after I have opportunity to speak with Mr. Kelly and his editors. Given the varying schedules of all involved, I expect I will not complete this until early to middle of next week. Please do not hesitate to call me on Monday of you wish to discuss further.
    Best Regards,
    Kathy English
    Kathy English
    Public Editor/The Toronto Star/416 869-4950
    1 Yonge St./Toronto, ON/M5E1E6
    Let us/me (<-if this trhead ends up closed) know what happens with this...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Naturegirl View Post
    Why is it that the toronto media is so fast to crucify, falsely, the sports fans in this town and seriously damage there own teams reputations? not just the fans and supporters but they hurt the clubs as well with there hate and fear mongering.
    Gobi and I were talking about this subject last night. Stories like these generally aren't written in a vacuum are they? I mean the writers don't just have carte blanche to come up some of the rubbish we see in the press do they? There's a better than even's chance that an assignment editor is saying to a writer something along the lines of "your angle in this story is organized support and how it is fostering hooliganism in this fair city of ours". Either that or the writer is pitching the angle to the editors, who in-turn rubber stamp it because they know it will cause a sensation.

As much as were are accountable to ourselves and to the group code of conduct (but not every individual in the ground, or every individual who goes on a road trip, as the press would like to hold us), the accountability for certain recent "news" stories - and I use that term very lightly - surely doesn't end with the writer.

If the media outlets in question had a shred of ethical decency they would take steps to correct what they've done, and that would mean someone on the editorial board getting taken down a peg or two. But that won't happen for the same reason these stories came about in the first place: arrogance. It was very arrogant for the writers/editors of this story to let slip through what they did. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, the original Wheeler and Kelly pieces are slanderous. Had they not based their stories on incorrect assumptions, there'd be no problem. Now that it has happened, that same arrogance will prevent any sort of full apology. Perhaps there has been a line or two of errata buried somewhere in each paper this week but that doesn't balance out what they did in the first place.

On the flipside, we're going to have to grow some thicker skin because this won't be the last time it happens. The press has latched on like a rabid animal and, like said animal, lacks the soundness of mind or will to let go, step back and see what has happened for what it really is:

People are using this game as an excuse to get drunk and act like complete assholes - which likely means they're complete assholes 24/7 but usually don't have the venue to express it. It's not anything organized, it's the frat house mentality getting air play.

I don't know what aggravates me more: the gross mis-representation of the facts in the media or the useless, shit-for-brains twats who are giving us all a bad name by abusing this game, our ground, and all the SSG groups.

For those of you whose personal/professional lives are being affected by this recent coverage consider this: the people who will make snide comments to you, or behind your back, are really just sheep who can't think for themselves. If they didn't have our recently minted hooligan status to use then it would surely be something else. The best thing to do is ignore them.

300 years ago they would have been the sort to make up the village mob in a witch hunt. I suppose the media, then, would be the vengeful priest.

The blind leading the blind.

If Wheeler or Kelly wants to see real hooliganism, then I'd invite them to walk around Leeds wearing a Manchester United jersey. That would broaden their world view a bit.
    Last edited by koryo; 04-11-2009 at 07:01 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Leafs are not making their traditional end of year failed run to make the playoffs and the Raptors are non starters in terms of media attention. The scribes have nothing to write about. Enter CK (insert euphimism).

There is a game today...GO REDS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tempest, teapot. The public may eye the RPBs suspiciously now because of some bad reporting, but when time passes and nothing too serious has happened they'll come around. These things have a way of working themselves out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're undergoing a series of changes at my work which has brought all the head-honcho's to work out of our location for the next month or so. On Thursday I cut my left hand pretty badly, my knife slipped and I stabbed myself in the base of the palm of my hand and it cut down towards my wrist (for a couple of days I was bandaged up like a depressed emo kid!). Anyway, a few hours after I cut it one of the head honchos who I've never spoken to in my life asked me if I was left or right handed. When I told him that I was right handed he said "Good, it won't hurt when you're out punching...is it Dallas or Houston? fans this weekend".

So this guy, who I don't even think knows my name, some how knows that I'm a TFC fan and his first association was with fighting.