Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have never been asked about TFC as much as in the last two weeks, kinda sickens me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed Steve, just saying it's frustrating when 'seemingly' nothing is being done, nor can really be done on our (supporters) end.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlsintoronto View Post
    This is a very public forum. Understand that as a person who
    a) takes enormous pride in what we (Toronto FC and our Supporters...all of you) have achieved in this city and this country.
    b) makes my living at Toronto FC and rides the emotional ups and downs with all of you
    c) has an 11 and 9 year old who come to every game
    d) is potentially more angry at certain news people than you(!)

I need to be very careful about what I say and how I go about it. Please don't take my silence on this issue as indication of anything. Be aware that I am a public figure on this board...it is no secret who I am. And anything I say here will be taken as official MLSEL word. So I can joke, and make light of the lack of urinals at BMO, but I can't join you in vocalizing what is, frankly, outrage. Your comment above (and most of the others I have read) cut to the bone BECAUSE I AGREE.

I need to take several deep breaths...sleep on it...then sometimes comment and other times shut my mouth. This is one of those times. I need to work in the background on this one.

Paul
    I guess why if you ask me YOU have no business coming on the boards and yukking it up .. Your communication should be in private with the supporters and should be on a fairly regular basis ..
    Strictly business IMO..
    You can't have your cake and eat it too ..
    Just surf the board and don't try and be "The Man " on here.. Its tacky

Banned
    When will people learn that passion doesnt make you good at football
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry if I'm late here, but has anything been done officially from the clubs point of view...I love Paul and think he does a top notch job but I want to see something come out from the team supporting the fans they know are not violent "hooligans" or the like. So far we've had backing from Steven Brunt and I'm really glad about that, but our own people have yet to officially back us (please correct me if i'm out of the loop) So again, thanks for the dialogue Paul, you're great, when are you guys gonna get behind us properly?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Arnie Knows View Post
    I guess why if you ask me YOU have no business coming on the boards and yukking it up .. Your communication should be in private with the supporters and should be on a fairly regular basis ..
    Strictly business IMO..

ignore this paul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone else ignore it too...no need to take this thread off-topic.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don;t think the club need to stick up for anyone. This goes beyond the fans.

A simple press statement that a lot of the reporting that has gone on in relation to alleged events at BMO Field is completely inaccurate and giving basic facts about arrests/ejections in comparison to other MLSE sports franchises, without even mentioning the fans by name once, would probably go a long way to setting the issue straight.

If MLSE blows smoke up our arses on this one then the media will have a field day. But if they just come out with basic facts which completely undermine all the crap that's been written, thereby destroying the credinility of the articles which were out of line, people will see through the shit storm that was brewed up.

TFC needs to build and maintain good relations with the Toronto and national press, not make enemies out of them by leaning on them at this stage. Approaching them quietly to say look, we appreciate your take as a journalist but this piece was a bit out of line, and offering to work with them going forward to help portray a more realistic assessment of the club and its fans would likely be far more constructive. if the shit storm stills comes round, then MLSE has a basis to appraoch the editors of the media in question and give them all fucking hell, threatening to cut off access to Leaf andRaptor coverage etc if they don;t stop fucking us over on the TFC side. But at this stage, a constructive approach seems better to me. I'd like to have the media all on side and accurately reporting on all things TFC in a balanced way, because I think we can be justifiably proud of our club in pretty much every respect.
    Last edited by Hitcho; 04-08-2009 at 04:17 PM.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post

ignore this paul

Does no one agree with my sentiments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to thank you all for the positive comments and constructive criticism to my open letter.

And to you Paul I appreciate that you apparently understand how personally hurt and offended many of your most loyal supporters have been in the past couple of weeks by the remarks from friends, family and co-workers about the alleged hooliganism and violence we apparently are the "root cause" of.

My intention today was to openly ask the club to see if they understand how this is impacting us and that this type of issue can be most effectively addressed by both the supporters groups AND the club working together to dispel the myths that are fast becoming apparent truths to those not in the know.

I look forward to your response

Tim "bgnewf" Drodge

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post

A simple press statement that a lot of the reporting that has gone on in relation to alleged events at BMO Field is completely inaccurate and giving basic facts about arrests/ejections in comparison to other MLSE sports franchises, without even mentioning the fans by name once, would probably go a long way to setting the issue straight.
    I agree completely....and am quite surprised we haven't seen anything of the sort now many many days after the reports

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey Arnie - you notice that there's only ONE person from TFC FO on these boards?
    Someone has to monitor these boards, because it's the best open forum for
    communication between dedicated supporters.

Instead of having every person employed by TFC on these boards,
    all the concerns go right though the guy at the top.

Paul is doing what any good manager should be doing --
    protecting his employees from angry clients (us) and taking the
    weight on to his own shoulders. I don't think he's doing it for kicks,
    and there's been lots of things in the past that could have just pushed
    him away for good. (like BMO Field leaving after being called a cunt)

what's my point? Paul doesn't HAVE to be here at all, and we (and the whole
    supporters community) have greatly benefited from having him around.

as for the other topic, if Paul has issue with someone on his staff,
    that doesn't need to be talked about here. I'm sure he's seen the
    sentiment of some members in regards to that issue.
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strictly business IMO..
    clueless, just clueless.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think its in the club's best interest to make these myths go away. After all, things like this will affect ticket sales which then affects concession and apparel sales.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NO!!!!
    Last edited by Hitcho; 04-08-2009 at 04:26 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkdale View Post
    hey Arnie - you notice that there's only ONE person from TFC FO on these boards?
    Someone has to monitor these boards, because it's the best open forum for
    communication between dedicated supporters.

Instead of having every person employed by TFC on these boards,
    all the concerns go right though the guy at the top.

Paul is doing what any good manager should be doing --
    protecting his employees from angry clients (us) and taking the
    weight on to his own shoulders. I don't think he's doing it for kicks,
    and there's been lots of things in the past that could have just pushed
    him away for good. (like BMO Field leaving after being called a cunt)

what's my point? Paul doesn't HAVE to be here at all, and we (and the whole
    supporters community) have greatly benefited from having him around.

as for the other topic, if Paul has issue with someone on his staff,
    that doesn't need to be talked about here. I'm sure he's seen the
    sentiment of some members in regards to that issue.

Well I guess I have a different opinion .. Whatever Paul does is fine I guess..
    One day you will understand.. maybe

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One day you will understand.. maybe
    yep, one day we will all understand you.. maybe

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This letter probably says all that is needed -- we are being tarred with the same labels that certain ignorant writers who refuse to do their "homework" have slapped onto those who are the troublemakers. I am sure the effect will come at me out West sooner rather than later (since I do wear my gear with pride on the streets of Calgary), but yes, we need FO to say something.

It is great that you are aware of this, Paul. But for the sake of my brothers and sisters in Toronto -- I beseech you to help us defend against these smears.
    Still possibly the only known RPB to appear on Masterchef Canada.
    (I think?)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I think it's really important that the club isn't smeared either though. if parents start telling their kids it's not safe to go to games and/or cut them off from the BMO Field experience based on groundless accusations of hooliganism, then that's a really shitty outlook for the club, the league and the sport in canada.

I'm sure Paul and his team are aware that it's the club as well as the fans getting hit by this now, but it's important to tackle the damage on all fronts I think - to the fans and the club. We are, after all, fairly closely linked and one cannot really exist without the other.

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

paul
    concern and support on this appreciated
    unfortunatly i dont even think mlse can contain these sensationalistic journalists
    and maybe a statement by the team might be bad for the club
    we need to think about this some more i know our executive is talking about it
    out of my area of expertise
    hopefully we can over come this together because i would hate to loose the great atmosphere and freindships that have become a passion for us in supporting tfc
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcho View Post
    ^ I think it's really important that the club isn't smeared either though. if parents start telling their kids it's not safe to go to games and/or cut them off from the BMO Field experience based on groundless accusations of hooliganism, then that's a really shitty outlook for the club, the league and the sport in canada.

I'm sure Paul and his team are aware that it's the club as well as the fans getting hit by this now, but it's important to tackle the damage on all fronts I think - to the fans and the club. We are, after all, fairly closely linked and one cannot really exist without the other.

This is why I'm planning a media blitz out West...it's time to get our name out there, get those positives out there. I think we need to show our positive side; show that we are real true people, not just in Toronto but all the way out West.

I don't do this unless I believe strongly in a cause; and this has made me quite upset.
    Still possibly the only known RPB to appear on Masterchef Canada.
    (I think?)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're entitled to your opinion, however, I do not agree with it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best way to make this all disappear would be to hire a high profile DP... and not someone who is going to smear the clubs name like Beckham did to LA...turn media attention away from the fans and the "hooliganism" ghost (its apparently ther but no one in the building can see it lol) and focus it back where it belongs...on the pitch

people will forget about this whole nightmare of a situation... and when the next columbus away game comes around really screw them by not sending a single fan to that city... instead find a way to show the game and raise money for a charity and show these journalist what good and honest people the supporters of TFC really are!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not in the least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s2cazz View Post
    best way to make this all disappear would be to hire a high profile DP... and not someone who is going to smear the clubs name like Beckham did to LA...turn media attention away from the fans and the "hooliganism" ghost (its apparently ther but no one in the building can see it lol) and focus it back where it belongs...on the pitch

people will forget about this whole nightmare of a situation... and when the next columbus away game comes around really screw them by not sending a single fan to that city... instead find a way to show the game and raise money for a charity and show these journalist what good and honest people the supporters of TFC really are!
    I don't agree with your first suggestion that bringing in a DP will help this particular situation at all.
    I DO agree wholeheartedly with your second suggestion about the fans staying away from Columbus next time...that might make an impact.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McHaggis View Post
    I don't agree with your first suggestion that bringing in a DP will help this particular situation at all.
    I DO agree wholeheartedly with your second suggestion about the fans staying away from Columbus next time...that might make an impact.
    The first suggestion is something used in business and politics all the time... its a diversion tactic... it will make the fas happy again and bring them out of the lull... I was at the game on sat and even before we were losing the atmosphere wasn't the same... the fans are upset... and losing doesn't help either... you bring in a DP and get the attention focused on that people will start to get i a better mood trust me...

and the second would hit Columbus where it counts... in the wallet!

Reina de la Carretera
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s2cazz View Post

hear hear!!!
    RPB Road Warrior. Crew 5/26/07, Boston 6/23/07, Chi 7/7/07, NY 8/11/07, DC 9/29/07, LA 10/13/07, MLS Cup 11/18/07, C-Bus 3/25/08, DC 5/24/08, MTL 5/27/08, Chi 7/12/08, KC 9/20/08, KC Opener 3/21/09, C-Bus 3/28/09, DC March 5/9/09, Super Draft 2010, CCC 2010, MTL 5/12/10, Philly 7/17/10, Honduras 8/3/10, NY 8/11/10, Mexico 9/21/10, Turkey 01/29/11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arnie Doesn't Know!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be extremely disappointed if we send a single fan to that armpit of a city. After the way they treated us, Toronto fans should spend a single dime there until they recognize their errors.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and because we're playing the Crew away twice in one season, the difference will be easy to see.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing that struck me the most was when:
    a) my mom asked me if I was one of the hooligans that Cathal Kelly was talking about and if I was anywhere near the racist incident, when she damn well knows better.
    b) CoachGT told me that one of his co-workers asked him if he was one of the people involved in this troublemaking and if it was safe for families at BMO and said worker knows that Coach takes his daughter to most every game.

Walking down the street in Toronto with RPB or TFC clothing used to get me nods and smiles from people. Now most people look at us with some sense of suspicion, like we're in gang or something similar.