Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Can he defend to Wynne???

Has anybody noticed the last 3 games, particularly the last 2 games, whereby, Wynne is CONSTANTLY using BOTH his hands to to push opposition attackers down to the ground!?!?

I've been wanting to mention this for a while now...

I'm not just referring to the Stupid decision he made in DC causing a penalty shot, but also in Montreal, he was blatantly using two hands and literally throwing people to the ground!

If he doesn't stop this immediately he is going to cause a lot of calls against us!!

what are your thoughts??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw him do it a couple of times and not get called. As long as he doesn't do it in the box again, I don't really care that much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw him do it at least 6 times over the last two games.

It looks so classless, its a crying shame damit!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think his flaws often get overlooked as he can usually compensate for any mistakes by using his speed.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by werewolf88 View Post
    I think his flaws often get overlooked as he can usually compensate for any mistakes by using his speed.

Yeah i agree, but don't constantly and blatantly use TWO hands to push attackers to the ground...

Box or no box, you get called on that shit outside the box the other team can make you pay!

Don't get me wrong, i like Wynne! He is superfast, i like when he goes on the overlap, but defensively i think he needs A LOT of work!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THe man can really run. I mean, what an athlete. However, how many times have we seen him curise donw the field uncontested only to see him kick the ball into the lake. THis pushing business is just further evidence of the same issue. His brain really gets in the way, and unfortunately his speed can only do so much.

The push in DC was the most stupid foul I have seen in years! And yes, it cost us the game and any chance of walking away with a point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I saw him do it in the impact game too, what the hell is his deal. everyone knows you can only get away with one hand

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joel View Post
    Yeah I saw him do it in the impact game too, what the hell is his deal. everyone knows you can only get away with one hand
    Yeah it was the impact game that really got to me, because he did it like 3/4 times!! and i was like WTF???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have said this before, he needs to learn develop his defensive skill set,[ i.e. positional, tactical play, and how and when to be physical and how to do it without getting called -a hint putting two hands on the opposing players, while your arms our outstretched as if pushing is not the way]. I think that he will get it right with time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wynne is a fine athlete, but he doesn't have a footballing brain. Edu's the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All in all Wynne is not that good of a player his speed is just second to none. If you watch when he makes run with the ball his control is not the best and many times he loses the ball in his own feet. The coaching staff need to teach him that his speed is all he needs on defence, if he positions himself correctly no one will ever get around him. I get the feeling sometimes that Wynne is a star track athelete that was transformed into a soccer player late and not a guy who has been playing the game for 15 - 20 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Blue View Post
    All in all Wynne is not that good of a player his speed is just second to none. If you watch when he makes run with the ball his control is not the best and many times he loses the ball in his own feet. The coaching staff need to teach him that his speed is all he needs on defence, if he positions himself correctly no one will ever get around him. I get the feeling sometimes that Wynne is a star track athelete that was transformed into a soccer player late and not a guy who has been playing the game for 15 - 20 years.

Soooo True!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wynne does seem to lose control of the ball when he is on a run, and the the 2 handed pushing isn't too cool either as we paid the other night in DC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Blue View Post
    This was in evidence last year when he played for USA against Argentina in that south American tournament. The Argentines are as fast as Marvell, and they have a great sense of things, and they made him look foolish. I love his speed, but he needs to really get going on his positioning sense so that as he gets older, and his speed declines, he can counter his aging with his good sense.

Wynne's strength and ability to come away with the ball one-on-one is excellent. He almost never loses a challenge for the ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Add Velez to the list. He's added a little push in almost every game so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so, Can he defend to Wynne?

I say no.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Wynne. Don't forget how young this guy is people, it's only his third professional season!! He still needs more time to mature into this league it's a big step up from US college. Just give the guy some time, he has the raw ability he just needs to develop the decision making skills.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cambridge_Red View Post
    I love Wynne. Don't forget how young this guy is people, it's only his third professional season!! He still needs more time to mature into this league it's a big step up from US college. Just give the guy some time, he has the raw ability he just needs to develop the decision making skills.

I agree. I do realize he is only in his 3rd year...but i just finished watching this 10/15min doc over at insidesoccer.com it was named "soccer in the City of God" basically focuses on kids growing up in the Rio slum playing footy because they have to...

anyways my point was that this kid in the DOC named "Carlinho" is 11 yrs old and he already has Flemengo youth academy and brazils U-12 team needing him, plus 3/4 European Clubs throwing money at this kid already!
    So all this means is that Wynne is already too old to learn "how to be a world class defender"

check out the DOC or browse some of the other ones

http://www.insidesoccer.com/love_it/...rary/2055/3049

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When he's gone in August, everyone's going to be awfully happy when he comes back. You guys are being pretty hard on someone who was good last season and has gotten better this year.

The foul in DC was dumb but he's still very young and he's getting solid coaching. He'll get better and better.

His runs aren't as pretty as some but they are very effective. In this league I'll take speed and power over finesse any day. He's not afraid to shoot either and when his does, his shots are hard.

It's pretty surprising to see a Wynne bashing thread on here, to tell you the truth.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second that Broadview. Marvell is a hell of alot better then our alternatives on the back right. Just give the guy some time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's not Wynne's fault..those skinny guys he's been defending get nudged a little bit and they drop right away..Marvel is probably the strongest player when it comes to physical fitness...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Broadview View Post
    When he's gone in August, everyone's going to be awfully happy when he comes back. You guys are being pretty hard on someone who was good last season and has gotten better this year.

The foul in DC was dumb but he's still very young and he's getting solid coaching. He'll get better and better.

His runs aren't as pretty as some but they are very effective. In this league I'll take speed and power over finesse any day. He's not afraid to shoot either and when his does, his shots are hard.

It's pretty surprising to see a Wynne bashing thread on here, to tell you the truth.

Yeah i know what your saying...I'm not trying to bash him per say(i know it might sound like that) I wish him the best, i really do. I like Wynne. He is a really likable guy! Its just that sometimes when i watch him, its like there is something missing you know? Like, not all the T's are crossed or I's dotted... HHHmmmmmm

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bombonera View Post
    However, how many times have we seen him curise donw the field uncontested only to see him kick the ball into the lake.
    Once. Last game. People keep on bringing this up as though it happens all the time because the DC game is fresh in their minds...I have four memories of Wynne going that far forward. One led to a beauty of a goal against COL last year (Dichio finished it), one led to Samuel's goal against NE in the last game last season, and one led to Guevara's first vs. KC.
    People need to stop ripping the guy - he's been our best player this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colman1860 View Post
    Once. Last game. People keep on bringing this up as though it happens all the time because the DC game is fresh in their minds...I have four memories of Wynne going that far forward. One led to a beauty of a goal against COL last year (Dichio finished it), one led to Samuel's goal against NE in the last game last season, and one led to Guevara's first vs. KC.
    People need to stop ripping the guy - he's been our best player this year.

Late on this thread, I know, but I haven't been posting in a while.

WTF? Marvell Wynne is the hardest working player on the pitch EVERY GAME. Sure he makes some mistakes, sure he shoves a guy now and then BUT HE SHOWS UP EVERY GAME.

Funny I see the slagging on this thread about our players, and it's kinda wierd y'know? There's a Laurent Robert is lazyl thread , and a who spotted Rickett's thread, and Brennan a Defensive Liabilty thread... oh lord hey-soos!

It's the squad's second season! Y'all sound like f'ing Maple Leafs fans - Make trades! Get a striker! Shit on this dude, screw that guy!

And when they're gone it's "Why did he have to gooooo!!!!" There's an oh sorry about Poz thread! No one wnated to give the kid the time of day last year!

POSITIVITY! GEEZ!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow -- an MLS defender that is less than the total package?? Alert the media!!
    Seriously. If you are going to pick at Wynne, I imagine you will have A LOT more trouble with just about every other player on our roster.
    I have no problem with criticizing our boys, but Wynne is probably one of our best, and the problems you mention just sum up the fact that MLS is a league of shitty defenses, and you can't expect this guy to be Roberto Carlos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off wynne today in my opinion MoM, downright dominating and he was all over the place, after reading this thread earlier, I noticed big time todays he uses both his hands, especially one incident in the second half which turned out not to be a foul

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The man can run, and fast. But his defending skills are still developing. e does use BOTH of this arms to push the opposition (remember @ RFK vs. DC penalty). His speed bails him out a lot of the time, but he is still learning me thinks.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easy to say today. Wynne had a fricken great game today.