Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Treatment of Carver

All I can say is I'm unhappy with the way the team played, I am angry at the officiating, but I am disgusted at the treatment of Carver by some fans in 123.

Chants such as "you don't know what you're doing", and "Go back to Newcastle" were sung, and I was flat out outraged. I see no benefit to those kinds of remarks, and I also think it's silly to suggest he leave after a single loss this season. The last thing we need at this club is the instability of losing our manager.

He picked the same team that I would have picked (i'm undecided on the velez/Harmse issue) and I don't feel like he deserved anything like what he got. Being a supporter is about helping the team, and making them better at the games. It's fine to be critical and scrutenize them afterwards, but definitely NOT AT THE GAME.

Am I the only person that feels this way?

-Geoff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC OZZ View Post
    All I can say is I'm unhappy with the way the team played, I am angry at the officiating, but I am disgusted at the treatment of Carver by some fans in 123.

Chants such as "you don't know what you're doing", and "Go back to Newcastle" were sung, and I was flat out outraged. I see no benefit to those kinds of remarks, and I also think it's silly to suggest he leave after a single loss this season. The last thing we need at this club is the instability of losing our manager.

He picked the same team that I would have picked (i'm undecided on the velez/Harmse issue) and I don't feel like he deserved anything like what he got. Being a supporter is about helping the team, and making them better at the games. It's fine to be critical and scrutenize them afterwards, but definitely NOT AT THE GAME.

-Geoff
    I'm with you...I don't believe it's fair to turn so Quickly after this result.. How soon People forget!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry, but fans who do stuff like that, don't know Football!! period.

best line I heard from my section (108): "Ljungberg go back to Finland"......hahahaha!!!! I couldn't stop laughing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

123 starts chants?
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure John Carver is tough enough to deal with a few silly people shouting at him.

The man did manage in England after all.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow 2 days ago people were singing his praises and threatening Newcastle if they took him back. How quickly people forget. We lost to a team that has done very well and has won three straight for a reason.

Fans need to realize that teams win and lose. I guarentee that we will lose again by a margin of 2-0 or more and there will be idiots who will call for his head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    123 starts chants?
    My apologies, let me put it into perspective. 10-15 people sitting within 15 meters of Carver all yelling at the top of their lungs. My problem with this is despite the fact that (hopefully) many people don't feel this way, this is the message he is receiving from the fans, because they're the closest and loudest (because of the distance) to him. I got upset and yelled "trust in Carver" as a response, but I felt like it didn't do much good; you could clearly tell that he could hear them. The fact is not that I'm worried about the supporter's groups not supporting Carver, but the "part-time" fans who outnumber us in the stadium that need to learn their shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one thing that bothered me about the performance of the team yesterday was the way they played. They played ugly soccer, every goal kick, and everytime Sutton had the ball in his hands he booted the ball up the field. They never looked to build from the back by keeping the ball on the ground. Sometimes you have no other option but to play the ball in the air from the back, however, yesterday it seems everything went long in the air from the back. Moreover, you would of thought that after getting 4 points on the road in their first two games this team would have played with confidence and not come out flat. Look we have been crap the past two seasons and yesterday we played like the past two seasons and I'm sure fans left the stadium thinking oh oh nothing has changed after that performance, he we go again. Remember this is the MLS it should not take that long to build a decent team and after that performance even though it's just one game because of the past crap seasons people will already assume that nothing has changed, so who do you think some people will blame?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we have a worse season than last year Carver has to be fired PERIOD
    I don't care if he is a nice guy yada yada let's judge by results

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a fan of Carver. Didn't think we should give him another season as he was totally lost for most of the last one. Poor selection, tactics, and substitutions are common place.

No real point in chanting about him at this point of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't worry, soon as they start winning again, they will all jump on the Carver bandwagon.

We really need to make TFC Ankle Supports for all the bandwagon jumpers. That can really hurt sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC OZZ View Post

-Geoff

Wasnt there but people actually said that? thats pretty sad

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

123 starts chants?
    1,2,3 4 your mother is a dirty whore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by druid View Post
    Not a fan of Carver. Didn't think we should give him another season as he was totally lost for most of the last one. Poor selection, tactics, and substitutions are common place.

No real point in chanting about him at this point of the season.
    Agreed, I don't see much that suggests he is a quality tactician. When TFC wins, its because our players are on not because of our superior style of play. Tactically we're second best most games. Because he's a sound dude, people are quick to overrate him. As I said elsewhere, he offers little more than Mo did on the field. I'll still chant his name because I like him and I keep waiting to be proven wrong but its been over a full year and I haven't seen much at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While most of you who don't have me on your ignore list know that I think Carver is a worst coach then Mo ever was, I still would never stand up in a middle of a game and throw him under the bus. The man deserves respect because he is passionate about this team and he means well. In fact, I think he would make an incredible Assistant Coach, someone who is there to rally the troops with his passion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's pathetic to do this to our own team during the game.... you wanna go off on the coaching fine... do it after the game or on the boards. But at the game?!?! that's some childish bullshit right there...

just fucking sad.
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    While most of you who don't have me on your ignore list know that I think Carver is a worst coach then Mo ever was, I still would never stand up in a middle of a game and throw him under the bus. The man deserves respect because he is passionate about this team and he means well. In fact, I think he would make an incredible Assistant Coach, someone who is there to rally the troops with his passion.
    I've been hoping for a demotion to assistant for a long time, but no way he'd take to that.

While I'll agree that jeering Carver is stupid, the same can be said for Velez, a passionate guy who gets it a million times worse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure, some of these people are clueless but I understand their frustration after seeing the 100th long ball into the wind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo View Post
    I've been hoping for a demotion to assistant for a long time, but no way he'd take to that.

While I'll agree that jeering Carver is stupid, the same can be said for Velez, a passionate guy who gets it a million times worse.
    Yeah I completely agree. I feel bad for any of our players or coaches when they get booed off the field or when they are getting harrassed from our own fans. Duing the game, we need to be behind the team 100%. Hell, it's a simple matter of respecting other human beings.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are some people out there that think because they paid for their ticket, they have the right to sh*t on the coach or the players at any point in time. Certainly not behaviour that falls within my definition of a "supporter" or even a "fan". Turns my stomach, actually. But I'm not surprised. Look around you and you'll see that respect and loyalty are in short supply these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carver is never afraid to slam players, referees, the league, and so forth. I'm sure he can handle a taste of his own medicine. Every other manager has to face this kind of thing, I don't see why Carver should be immune. It's not like he's ever been successful here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Narcotic View Post
    Carver is never afraid to slam players, referees, the league, and so forth. I'm sure he can handle a taste of his own medicine. Every other manager has to face this kind of thing, I don't see why Carver should be immune. It's not like he's ever been successful here.
    I agree with the Carver never being succesful here, but there's a time and a place to discuss that. You don't see Carver throwing guys under the bus in the middle of the game, or Carver turning around to the fans and saying your chants sound horrible today in the middle of a game. Game time is time to support the team. I mean, what happens if we turn around and score 3 goals in the last 5 minutes, what do those fans say then? turn around and start chearing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My problem is not whether or not he should be scrutinized, it's when and where. Down 2-0 at home, you do not sing negative chants towards your own team, it doesn't help our cause. We should get behind them, when they need us the most.

MUFC_Niagara

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper View Post
    Wow 2 days ago people were singing his praises and threatening Newcastle if they took him back. How quickly people forget. We lost to a team that has done very well and has won three straight for a reason.

Fans need to realize that teams win and lose. I guarentee that we will lose again by a margin of 2-0 or more and there will be idiots who will call for his head.
    You mean we don't win every game and don't play well in every game! This is nonsense.....Carver has to go! Unless we win next week.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapido View Post
    There are some people out there that think because they paid for their ticket, they have the right to sh*t on the coach or the players at any point in time. Certainly not behaviour that falls within my definition of a "supporter" or even a "fan". Turns my stomach, actually. But I'm not surprised. Look around you and you'll see that respect and loyalty are in short supply these days.
    Anybody who payed $200 to watch that shit has the right, nay, the obligation, to yell whatever the fuck the on-field performance deserves.

They arent sitting in the $20 supporters section. They paid out the ass to watch an amateur soccer team play the most pathetic game in franchise history and have every right to take out their frustrations on the person orchestrating that performance.

It was one of the ugliest games i've ever had the misfortune of watching this team play. It was absolutely pathetic from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Narcotic View Post
    Exactly. I still dont understand where Carver got all this good will from and I still cant comprehend the 'In Carver We Trust' slogan. What the fuck does anybody trust Carver for? His impeccable MLS track record?

And ya, Carver is a big boy. Im sure he can handle some abuse. And if he cant, then this team is even more fucked than anyone can imagine.
    Last edited by ilikemusic; 04-05-2009 at 03:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though I don't completely agree with the manner in which those guys chose to criticize Carver, I'm content with the fact that there are some guys letting him know that his days of getting a free ride based on his geordie accent maybe numbered. If there are people making banners like "In Carver We Trust" for very little reason, I'm glad that there are people on the other end of the spectrum as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a bunch of ignoramus fans we have here in Toronto. Can you imagine that a football team's fans would ever start a chant that would criticize a coach in game? Why don't our fans know football etiquette?

Um, maybe because, in fact, this comes with the territory and goes on every day?

I found these in 30 seconds, there were dozens more....

http://www.sportinglife.com/football...l&TEAMHD=spain
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle3108479.ece
    http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_6645354
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...ch.derbycounty
    http://www.indiaabroad.com/sports/2006/aug/17china.htm
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Even though I don't completely agree with the manner in which those guys chose to criticize Carver, I'm content with the fact that there are some guys letting him know that his days of getting a free ride based on his geordie accent maybe numbered. If there are people making banners like "In Carver We Trust" for very little reason, I'm glad that there are people on the other end of the spectrum as well.
    What does his accent have to do with anything?
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its cause more than half the people at these games , no little to nothing about the sport....I overheard many comments throughout the game that made me laugh, like whos this #10 on seatle? hes awesome hahaha...he is a great player, but I mean c'mon...and then I overheard ppl commenting on the play, passes, runs ,etc....they dont know fuck all....its probably these same types of people that are treating carver this way.....for them its just a place to be heard because nobody care sto hear them elsewhere...they learn a tidbit of knowledge, like carver used to be at newcastle, and they run with it...I dont know why, but if you're going to do that shit, STAY HOME, we are better off having empty seats instead of asshole fans!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a bunch of ignoramus fans we have here in Toronto. Can you imagine that a football team's fans would ever start a chant that would criticize a coach in game? Why don't our fans know football etiquette?

Um, maybe because, in fact, this comes with the territory and goes on every day?

I found these in 30 seconds, there were dozens more....

http://www.sportinglife.com/football...l&TEAMHD=spain
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle3108479.ece
    http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_6645354
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...ch.derbycounty
    http://www.indiaabroad.com/sports/2006/aug/17china.htm
    Ensco, while I agree with you on a lot you say lately, I can't agree here. Do you know how many cars are stolen in a day? Doesn't mean it makes it right for the next thief to steal the next car.

Look, believe me, I think the fans have every right to be pissed. My neighbour scalped tickets for him and his son at 80bucks a piece in the 200 level. Partly because I encouraged him to go watch a game live. He has all the right in the world to be pissed off and I'm fucking embarassed, but I'm not sure disrespecting someone personally is the right thing to do (he obviously has more class then that and I'm sure he took no part in the Carver bashing).

What did Carver ever do to any of these fans that was intentional? How did he ever disrespect these fans on a personal level? It's simple, treat people the way you would expect others to treat you, learned that in Grade 1 I think.