Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dal524 View Post
    the ones that are served by the guys walking around in the sections like 109 etc. arent those 13? i remember them being 12 something last year or am i just crazy?
    Yes, I recall that they were pretty young.

We need a lot more of those poor bastards. Then I can get my kid a slice of pizza without him having to walk around the concourse for 40 minutes staring into peoples asses.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Cheeba View Post
    maybe when the street vendor policies change, people will set up bovril and scotch egg stands outside of BMO.
    If someone got a license to put food carts outside the stadium the cart owners would make a killing!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Cheeba View Post
    maybe when the street vendor policies change, people will set up bovril and scotch egg stands outside of BMO.
    LOL - perhaps they could pass them through the bars in the fence!

Betwixt the waters of the Humber and the Credit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i refused to buy anything from bmo concessions unless im absolutely dying for food/drink after finding out the exact same can of carlsburg is $2 and change at the lcbo, and they sell it for 13! sorry but a 600% markup from the lcbo price is a bit much.
    IIRC: 14oz draught is $6.75, 20oz = $9.25, 28oz = $13.50, 500 ml tallboy ~ $8.50.

I can buy pop at the grocery for around $8/case on sale, sometimes less, or about $0.33/can. What's the markup on pop, 1000%? City water costs less than a penny per gallon, the markup on bottled water anywhere in the city is....

Incidentally, if you ever buy breakfast at a restaurant, you'll be shocked by the markup on eggs and toast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys, mark ups on items at sporting events is nothing new.....try Canada's Wonderland or a movie theatre.....BMO Field is like a flea market in comparison....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. Don't like the markup, keep your money in your pocket. But to come in here you'd think BMO Field invented mark-ups.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

better be some improvement next weekend. completely amateur.

do they PLAN this stuff at all? or do they just throw random people behind the counters and open the gates?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker View Post
    do they PLAN this stuff at all? or do they just throw random people behind the counters and open the gates?
    One does get the impression that someone skimped on the dress-rehearsal! Fortunately we all know that MLSE has class, so I'm sure they'll do something. I'd suggest a discount of some kind, but that would only make the queues longer.

What would be nice to see are more of the stands that just sell one thing. How about a stand just selling scotch eggs somewhere; nothing else. It wouldn't take much space, I'd love to get my hands on one, but there's no way I'm going to queue forever ... so unless I'm peckish and get there early, I'm never going to get one.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevvv View Post
    Exactly. Don't like the markup, keep your money in your pocket. But to come in here you'd think BMO Field invented mark-ups.
    the issue for me is not the cost .. I expect to pay the prices for food/beer they charge at BMO .. and you're right, it's not more than any other venue and you don't have to buy anything if you don't want to ...

the issue is the poor service or what seems to be a lack of well trained staff at the concessions .. and the lack of math skills to handle money is atrocious.

I'm hoping it's opening day issues and staff still learning the ropes. But history is showing us that there has not been much improvement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember last year, people were allowed to bring in their own water bottle as long as it was empty and had no cap (and then could fill it up at the fountain inside). Is that still in effect?

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

To me, it's not so much the cost... I expect to pay more at an event. It's not the math skills because even a chart doesn't solve the fundamental issue that the system is flawed.

The current system involves:

1. Taking an order
    2. Getting a can
    3. Opening the can
    4. Pouring the beer
    5. Putting a lid on
    6. Taking payment
    7. Returning product and change

(for draught systems steps 2 and 3 are combined).

If they pre-poured the most popular beers, say 5 minutes before the half, your system becomes:

1. Take order
    2. Take payment
    3. Return product and change

The beer won't go flat within the short time frame we are talking about and it would speed up the line.

A more expensive but workable solution would be to model the concessions after Webber's on Highway 11.

Long lines in the summer are the norm at this burger stop on the way to Cottage Country. But they solved it by having at least 2 workers taking your order while you are in line. You pay for it while waiting in line, receive your change and by the time you get to the counter it's ready.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    A more expensive but workable solution would be to model the concessions after Webber's on Highway 11.
    Having driven past there in the summer, and not stopped because of the line crossing the overpass, down the overside, and outside, I'd suggest that this NOT be a model to follow!

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    Having driven past there in the summer, and not stopped because of the line crossing the overpass, down the overside, and outside, I'd suggest that this NOT be a model to follow!
    You'd be surprised how quickly they can move a line like that through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IIRC: 14oz draught is $6.75, 20oz = $9.25, 28oz = $13.50, 500 ml tallboy ~ $8.50.

I can buy pop at the grocery for around $8/case on sale, sometimes less, or about $0.33/can. What's the markup on pop, 1000%? City water costs less than a penny per gallon, the markup on bottled water anywhere in the city is....

Incidentally, if you ever buy breakfast at a restaurant, you'll be shocked by the markup on eggs and toast.
    i dont think u can compare a restaurant meal to a can of beer, that involves prep and actual service, im well aware of markups, but to sell that shitty beer for $13 is a ripoff. think about 3 beers is almost 3 season tickets in the supporters section, what would u rather have? im well aware that markups are huge at sporting events put mlse has to be the worst, and to have horrible service in order to get it is the icing on the cake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dantdot View Post
    And here come the pretzels!
    i started laughing my ass off at work today when i saw this. it brough back so many memories.

WHITEY FORD IS PLEADING WITH THE CROWD FOR SOME KIND OF SANITY....

AND THEN.....

bwahahahahha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm calling out Paul it's not to charge him with failing to do anything about it.

It's the very real concern of...

If shit like this happens, people will start getting annoyed and people talk... I would hate to see people come less often because of what they expect to be terrible service. If I didn't know better and just read all of these comments I wouldn't bother bringing any money to BMO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of people don't bring money to BMO, that's why the ABM line-ups are so long.

The slow service at the concessions is a particular aggravation at the begining of the season, when all the staff seem new (new to the place, new to cash register technology, new to the concepts of hustle, customer service, and getting more than one item at a time). It will get a bit better, some servers will get a lot better. And some people will arrive at the game a few minutes early so they can get their grub without waiting in line.

Where's craiger's post from this time last year? He hit every point in one post (in one long, run-on sentence, if I remember right) , and every word applies today as much as it did then. No-one's going to stop coming because they can't get a beer and a pizza slice and a piss. Choices will be made.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of people don't bring money to BMO, that's why the ABM line-ups are so long.
    I'm quite perplexed why someone would show up at a soccer game where they'd be buying things without money. There's lots of issues, but I think in that case, those who can't be bothered to bring money, have themselves to blame!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No-one's going to stop coming because they can't get a beer and a pizza slice and a piss. Choices will be made.
    A) You seem to have missed the point with that one but it wasn't obvious. I mean not buy anything. Just stop contributing money to the gameday haul.
    B) Lots of people will start looking at it as an "ok experience" or maybe even a bad one. To say the service experience doesn't affect the bottom line is crazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    I'm quite perplexed why someone would show up at a soccer game where they'd be buying things without money. There's lots of issues, but I think in that case, those who can't be bothered to bring money, have themselves to blame!
    Lots of people don't carry cash, period. These people have to spend time lined up at ATMs. There are enough lineups at BMO in which to stand without adding this one. Plenty of lonely bank machines on the way to BMO that these folks could use.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post
    To say the service experience doesn't affect the bottom line is crazy.
    It certainly effects the bottom line. I was quite peckish at the half- but I took one look at the lines and didn't even think of getting somethin; and just grabbed a beer on the steps up to my seat.

I'm sure MSLE is more sickened by the lost revenue than anything else!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc"2L" View Post
    A) You seem to have missed the point with that one but it wasn't obvious. I mean not buy anything. Just stop contributing money to the gameday haul.

It was obvious, you seem to have missed the joke. Point is, if they stop selling out it won't be because of the chip butty lineup. Eventually Gordon Ramsay will come in and tell them they could make 50% more money if they can improve customer flow. But as I've already said, game 1 is always the worst for service.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont think u can compare a restaurant meal to a can of beer, that involves prep and actual service, im well aware of markups, but to sell that shitty beer for $13 is a ripoff. think about 3 beers is almost 3 season tickets in the supporters section, what would u rather have? im well aware that markups are huge at sporting events put mlse has to be the worst, and to have horrible service in order to get it is the icing on the cake.
    so the price went up 3 dollars on a tall boy
    Last season I believe a tall boy can was 9.50 or so..it's 13 now????

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stopped buying food ever since i got a partially frozen hot dog in season 1, and higher prices and longer lines haven't convinced me to ever return

i'd pretty much rather starve to death
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    I had my first King Dave experience[...]was blowing in my mouth all game.

I loved it, it tasted like Canada!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tml View Post
    When I first got there, I looked at the prices, and my first reaction is that they were cheaper; I think though that they were unchanged. But my memory may be cheating me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tml View Post
    Tallboy cans were $8.75 in the beer garden for Canadian, Carlsberg, and Carlsberg Lite. I believe Tetleys was a higher price.

Not sure where the $13 number came from. Maybe for a large draft??

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

2 beers cost me $18.25 (or $18.75... can't remember).

As for the cash, I'm not sure why they can't use one of those VISA or Mastercard Quick pays... Timmie's has Mastercard on the drive thru...

You'd at least remove the congestion of people lining up at the ATM

thankless moocher, riding on the coattails of others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I get a "Woah Hide a mickey in your crotch and buy a giant Cola to mix it with so it lasts the whole game"

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    2 beers cost me $18.25 (or $18.75... can't remember).

As for the cash, I'm not sure why they can't use one of those VISA or Mastercard Quick pays... Timmie's has Mastercard on the drive thru...

You'd at least remove the congestion of people lining up at the ATM
    Seriously....such an easy fix that would alleviate much of the crowding. Dunno why it hasn't been done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think i'll follow your lead, kdotodot