Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sounders FC's Montero under investigation. more info..

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...montero04.html

Sounders FC's Montero under investigation

Prosecutors are considering criminal charges against Seattle Sounders FC soccer star Fredy Montero after a 23-year-old Bellevue woman reported that he raped her twice, according to police reports.
    By Mike Carter
    Seattle Times staff reporter

Related

Prosecutors are reviewing allegations against Seattle Sounders FC soccer star Fredy Montero after a 23-year-old Bellevue woman reported that he raped her twice, according to police reports.
    An incident report released late Friday by the Bellevue Police Department identified Montero as the suspect in the case. A summary states, "Victim [name redacted] reported she was raped twice by [suspect] Montero on 3/15 and 3/22."
    The report contained no additional details. Bellevue police attorney Kyle Aiken said the city attorney's office was reviewing other police documents, which likely would be released next week.
    All of the material has been forwarded to the King County Prosecutor's Office to determine if charges should be filed, according to Bellevue Police spokesman Greg Grannis.
    Montero, from Colombia, is the leading scorer for Sounders FC and was recently named Major League Soccer's player of the month.
    The investigation includes allegations that Montero, 21, stalked the victim a week after the second alleged assault occurred, according to a report released Friday by the King County Sheriff's Office. That report references an alleged sexual assault on March 22. The Bellevue report is the first indication the woman might have been assaulted before.
    The soccer player's "host family" told detectives later, however, that Montero's presence in the neighborhood was a coincidence.
    A relative of the 23-year-old woman who said she was assaulted, who asked to not be identified, said the woman and Montero knew each other but that "calling it a relationship would be way, way out there." He declined to say what the woman told Bellevue police regarding the alleged March 22 assault and he did not mention an assault on March 15.
    The relative said the family had been frustrated and went to the media when the Sounders announced that Montero was sick with the flu and wouldn't be traveling to Toronto.
    Sounders FC's stance on the situation is in a statement from the team:
    "We are aware of the situation and continue to gather information. We fully support Fredy and expect him to play next week. We will have no further comment at this time."
    A team spokesman said Montero was not on the team flight to Toronto on Thursday morning because he had the flu and was too sick to fly Friday. He will not play in today's match against Toronto FC.

King County Prosecutor's spokesman Dan Donohoe, asked about the Montero case, would say only that it "has been referred to our office by the Bellevue Police Department for review."
    The King County report states that on Tuesday, the 23-year-old woman was stopped in the southbound lanes of an intersection in Bellevue and was about to make a U-turn when she saw her alleged attacker — Montero — "sitting in the front passenger seat of his vehicle" heading north. The woman made her turn and then slowed to allow the vehicle carrying Montero to pass. The man "leaned back in the seat in an attempt to hide," the report says.
    But a detective who spoke with the host family with whom Montero was staying was told that sighting "was simply a coincidence."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is pretty serious stuff!

I think right now the guy has a bit more than just a case of the flu!

I always hate how teams say "We completely support ______ " when they have no idea what happened.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

holy sh!t... I was actually looking forward in seeing this kid play, but wow! what the heck

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From stalking to rape? holy crap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"A team spokesman said Montero was not on the team flight to Toronto on Thursday morning because he had the flu and was too sick to fly Friday. He will not play in today's match against Toronto FC."

The lad seems to be in some bother for sure, too early to tell the full extent though.
    As far as the match is concerned this is good news for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    This is pretty serious stuff!

I think right now the guy has a bit more than just a case of the flu!

I always hate how teams say "We completely support ______ " when they have no idea what happened.
    They never seem to have any regard for the victim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hear you Pat, it's a business and they are looking after their asset, but in the end with something like this, if found guilty his career could very well be short lived.

Again, too early to tell I suppose.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kobe Bryant
    Robbie Alomar
    The Duke Lacrosse team
    Penn State running back
    Santa Ana college football players

alll not guility. I suspect Montero in the same boat and that's with the limited knowledge we have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ladies Love Julius James View Post
    Kobe Bryant
    Robbie Alomar
    The Duke Lacrosse team
    Penn State running back
    Santa Ana college football players

alll not guility. I suspect Montero in the same boat and that's with the limited knowledge we have.
    That's a big jump to conclusion. Because some people some where are found innocent, you think this guys innocent?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having worked for two pro sports teams in this country, teams will always support their own until the last possible minute, at which point they can't, it really comes down to the dynamics of the situation, for instance salary caps can come into play, feelings of the public, and just how it is effecting the team as a whole.

But support out of the gate will always be there.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CBlake View Post
    Having worked for two pro sports teams in this country, teams will always support their own until the last possible minute, at which point they can't, it really comes down to the dynamics of the situation, for instance salary caps can come into play, feelings of the public, and just how it is effecting the team as a whole.

But support out of the gate will always be there.
    Absolutely agree. We've seen it hundreds of times.
    But, it just doesn't mean it's right.

An immediate assumption of innocence just because a dude is on a sports team, or is an asset, or as previous message stated, some other guys on sports teams were found innocent just seems to me to be callous, nieve and self serving, with no regard for the victim.

I believe what would make more sense would be to say "We understand the accusations are serious, and we reserve further comment until the investigation is completed" That's it.
    Last edited by Batman; 04-04-2009 at 08:03 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a big jump to conclusion. Because some people some where are found innocent, you think this guys innocent?

Of those 168 allegations, involving 164 athletes, only 22 saw their cases go to trial, and only six cases resulted in convictions. In another 46 cases, a plea agreement was reached. Combined with the six athletes convicted at trial and one who pleaded guilty as charged, that gives the athletes a 32% total conviction rate in the resolved cases.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2003-...-assault_x.htm

innocent or not, the odds are in his favor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ladies Love Julius James View Post
    Of those 168 allegations, involving 164 athletes, only 22 saw their cases go to trial, and only six cases resulted in convictions. In another 46 cases, a plea agreement was reached. Combined with the six athletes convicted at trial and one who pleaded guilty as charged, that gives the athletes a 32% total conviction rate in the resolved cases.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2003-...-assault_x.htm

innocent or not, the odds are in his favor.
    Based upon those facts, I agree with your final statement. The odds are in his favour.

But also, in his case, he will be investigated, and one way or another proven guilty or not guilty...and that's why I don't like to just jump on the team bandwagon and assume innocence.
    Last edited by Batman; 04-04-2009 at 08:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, at least we're not jumping to conclusions

this is some pretty serious stuff however

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well that sux, I am glad I didn't take him in my fantasy pool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheRenter View Post
    well, at least we're not jumping to conclusions

this is some pretty serious stuff however
    Perry Fucking Mason

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obviously there is not much to base an opinion on, but I'd just make the observation that that fact that he allegedly raped the victim twice is an unusual fact.

If a date rape drug wasn't involved, it increases the odds that Montero is innocent. Not just because rich people get off, but because he actually might be innocent.

Let's see what the facts are. I wouldn't condemn anyone for supporting him, at this point.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Obviously there is not much to base an opinion on, but I'd just make the observation that that fact that he allegedly raped the victim twice is an unusual fact.

If a date rape drug wasn't involved, it increases the odds that Montero is innocent. Not just because rich people get off, but because he actually might be innocent.

Let's see what the facts are. I wouldn't condemn anyone for supporting him, at this point.
    I agree, that's a bit weird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I moved this to the News section. I probably should have put it there in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, he probably doesn't have the flu. Hes probably restricted from leaving the state.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based upon those facts, I agree with your final statement. The odds are in his favour.

But also, in his case, he will be investigated, and one way or another proven guilty or not guilty...and that's why I don't like to just jump on the team bandwagon and assume innocence.
    Not saying he didn't do it but.....innocent until proven guilty, no?

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

I was wondering the same thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An immediate assumption of innocence just because a dude is on a sports team, or is an asset, or as previous message stated, some other guys on sports teams were found innocent just seems to me to be callous, nieve and self serving, with no regard for the victim.

I believe what would make more sense would be to say "We understand the accusations are serious, and we reserve further comment until the investigation is completed" That's it.
    The presumption of innocence is one of the foundations of the legal system in most of the developed world and is the right of any individual regardless of social status. I'm not sure how you see this as self serving but I can assure you the only callousness or naivete I see is on your part. You seem rather quick to defend the alleged victim who remains anonymous with little regard for the impact on Montero who may have to deal with the fallout from these allegations for years whether proven guilty or not.

MUFC_Niagara

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    Hmmm, he probably doesn't have the flu. Hes probably restricted from leaving the state.
    Yup....the police probably have his passport!

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...or perhaps Montero is the victim here? False rape accusations can do an incredible amount of harm.

Her story is a bit fishy to me... two alleged incidents, a week apart, and she neglected to mention one of them in her original report?

Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    ...or perhaps Montero is the victim here? False rape accusations can do an incredible amount of harm.

Her story is a bit fishy to me... two alleged incidents, a week apart, and she neglected to mention one of them in her original report?

Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?
    Yes, as POINTED OUT EARLIER I probably should have said "alleged victim".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djking2 View Post
    The presumption of innocence is one of the foundations of the legal system in most of the developed world and is the right of any individual regardless of social status. I'm not sure how you see this as self serving but I can assure you the only callousness or naivete I see is on your part. You seem rather quick to defend the alleged victim who remains anonymous with little regard for the impact on Montero who may have to deal with the fallout from these allegations for years whether proven guilty or not.
    I probably wasn't clear on my point, as I didn't really think it needed additional explaining.

I wasn't accusing people here of being naive, callous or self serving. (as you now unfortunately are)

My comments were in regard to the team making the statements.
    Self Serving - regarding serving the teams interests.
    Naive - To assume their guy is automatically innocent.
    Callous - having no regard for the alleged victim while defending their man.

My point was that they should simply announce they await the investigation, not just automatically defend him. By automatically defending him, they are acting in the manner I just described.

That's what those points were referring to.
    Last edited by Batman; 04-04-2009 at 09:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I thought you were pretty clear. I think you've let your support of TFC cloud your judgement and if it were a TFC player that stood accused you wouldn't be too happy if MLSE threw him under the bus

By the way accusations of callousness and naivete are rather mild for this board don't ya think? No offense to you my friend I just think you're wrong
    Last edited by djking2; 04-04-2009 at 09:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djking2 View Post
    Actually I thought you were pretty clear. I think you've let your support of TFC cloud your judgement and if it were a TFC player that stood accused you wouldn't be too happy if MLSE threw him under the bus

By the way accusations of callousness and naivete are rather mild for this board don't ya think? No offense to you my friend I just think you're wrong
    No problem and you are entitled to your opinion too.

On your first part, actually not true. I have always felt it was wrong for a team to automatically defend their guy. The so called "code" etc. I think they should neither defend nor "throw under the bus". They should stick with saying we await the investigation etc. and leave it at that.
    Last edited by Batman; 04-04-2009 at 09:43 AM.

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuck, his career ended before it barely started if any of this shit is true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a hard time understanding why the woman's name is redacted, but Montero's can be spread all over the place.

I was taken aback by the comment that the women was pissed that Montero was said to be out with the blue, so she decided to alert the media. Not exactly a normal course of action for a victim in this case (rape victim seeking media publicity).. Almost as if she was seeking some sort of attention here
    Last edited by troy1982; 04-04-2009 at 09:47 AM.