Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montero might be out? hopefully so. A cheap victory against a weakened team is still a victory.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Met Carver on the train yesterday... Random things I remember

Team had to fly home from Columbus via Chicago. They got held up and took over 12 hours to get back!

Asked him if DeRo was the type of guy to really get excited about being home this weekend or if it was just another game. Carver said DeRo is very excited to be home this weekend. He has 45 (!) tickets for family and friends (must have met a scalper how the hell does a guy get 45 tickets

On Montero Carver said he reallly has not had the chance to see enough of him. Does not know what to expect... Now it seems like Montero won't be here

That's all I remember.. Nice guy, glad I did not yell at him for blocking the staircase while I was trying to get to the door

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    Why should we pleased that instead of getting somebody who's followed the game for a long time to report on the sport, they get some hockey guy, tell him to learn what he can and write a story?

The intended audience have all been following the game and are educated about it, so there's nothing that a hockey guy can actually tell us is there?
    Obviously he's there because he's a staff writer. I work in the media, and in case you haven't noticed, there isn't a lot of cash going aroundto hire new writers these days. So media outlets, newspapers especially, are making do with what they've got. Would you rather they not cover the sport entirely?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the comment, just balance it by feeling as inclined to praise him when he gets stuff others don't, because he is making that into a proper beat for the Sun, which is a plus.

EXACTLY!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arbogast View Post
    Obviously he's there because he's a staff writer. I work in the media, and in case you haven't noticed, there isn't a lot of cash going aroundto hire new writers these days. So media outlets, newspapers especially, are making do with what they've got. Would you rather they not cover the sport entirely?
    I'm not speaking about the writer directly here, but there's well enough reporters out there 'grudgingly' doing pieces on TFC because they have to cover it.

They can make do with what they have, it doesn't mean I'll give their articles any credibility.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hopefully the media coverage will mature like we hope fan support will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Darlofletch View Post
    Montero might be out? hopefully so. A cheap victory against a weakened team is still a victory.
    No Montero does not mean a cheap victory for us. He is one player. If they are that dependent on one player, they are screwed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    No Montero does not mean a cheap victory for us. He is one player. If they are that dependent on one player, they are screwed.
    I don't believe that they are. It will be a tight game tomorrow.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news...._mls&fext=.jsp

Ricketts involved in worthy cause

TFC midfielder hoping to improve lives of African children

04/01/2009 10:30 PM
    By Peter Mallett / MLSnet.com Staff
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Toronto FC trained at the Oakville Soccer Club on Thursday, in front of a huge gathering of young fans and players .."

Are these pratices open to the public? This is a block away from my house.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just looked at the SSG at work.
    Anyone have a spare pair of pants?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Probably one of the top SSGs of 2009 so far.
    Holy crap!

Not a bad picture in the lot. I might have to agree. Best of 2009 so far and up there for best ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ExiledRed View Post
    I don't believe that they are. It will be a tight game tomorrow.
    I tend to agree. They look like a solid, well coached team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skint View Post
    Carver said DeRo is very excited to be home this weekend. He has 45 (!) tickets for family and friends (must have met a scalper how the hell does a guy get 45 tickets
    Hopefully translates into great performance for DeRo and he pops one or two in. Can be the biggest inspiration to play at best when you're playing for friends and family.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    will you be at the tailgate tomorrow
    yes i will be at the tailgate tomorrow. I need to get my tickets there! My wife is being annoying about getting here too early, so I may just take a train and get there early and chillax with the lot of you and she can take her sweet time coming in. Damn it's gonna be cold tomorrow.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When was it announced that the bulk of stadium expansion would occur in the south end? Most comments have involved additions to the east side.

What's interesting about a south end addition - apart from growing the sound of supporters groups - is that it hopefully puts to rest any fanciful notions of expanding the playing surface to accomodate a CFL field.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhitenorf View Post
    When was it announced that the bulk of stadium expansion would occur in the south end? Most comments have involved additions to the east side.

What's interesting about a south end addition - apart from growing the sound of supporters groups - is that it hopefully puts to rest any fanciful notions of expanding the playing surface to accomodate a CFL field.
    thats not right...don't know where he go that...there are two pieces in the current plan...east side is the vast majority of the expansion. not sure whether it would make sense financially to add to the south.

But aesthetically (sp?) I personally don't want two massive sides and a teeny endzone...it would look and feel like that CFL stadium in Winnipeg....so i'm a big proponent of extending the south to make the place feel more complete.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Double up on the east and south end, and tie everything together - east, sound, west. That would look great, isolate the sound (especially if you put a roof on the stands) and we'll have a stadium fit for the demand in this city.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arbogast View Post
    You're missing the point. I'm not expecting anyone at a Toronto newspaper to give me a nuanced view of Carver's choice of formation.

Let's say there was a Blue Jay player who was on a World Baseball Classic team, and whose fitness for the Jays might therefore be in question. There is absolutely no way that a story about that player would have gone out with an elemental error about whether the player even saw the field in the WBC.

If writers aren't scrupulous about checking basic, easily verified facts, then they're just part of the newspaper industry problem. If the writer doesn't feel like applying the same standards as he would to a baseball story, then yes, I'd rather he didn't cover the team.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-03-2009 at 02:42 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow the anti soccer ppl are after montero now.... not surprised...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In terms of expansion. East end and south end sure. But what about those missing west-end sections ... above 119 and 127? If sections were build there, above the boxes, with the same width at the bottom as the boxes, and expanding wider at the same rates as 119 and 127, you could get quite a lot of people in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

she likes making videos LOL i figured she would

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just was reading about the GO Expansion today... apparently there's gonna be another tunnel under the Go tracks... good idea, since that tunnel gets scarily packed before and after games.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPDATE 3:15 p.m.: Montero will definitely not play, it's official. Coach Schmid will not announce who will start in Montero's place until the 1-hour deadline before kickoff.
    http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.co...o_and_fre.html
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlsintoronto View Post
    thats not right...don't know where he go that...there are two pieces in the current plan...east side is the vast majority of the expansion. not sure whether it would make sense financially to add to the south.

But aesthetically (sp?) I personally don't want two massive sides and a teeny endzone...it would look and feel like that CFL stadium in Winnipeg....so i'm a big proponent of extending the south to make the place feel more complete.
    In terms of food & beverage and merchandise sales, a south-end expansion could be quite lucrative. Besides, the atmosphere is the essence of what makes BMO Field great, and adding to that atmosphere couldn't hurt the attractiveness of the club or its bottom line.

Of course, I completely agree with your comment regarding the aesthetic appeal of expansion that is largely limited to the east stand. With two large lateral stands and only one small end stand, BMO would look a lot like such CFL stadia as Canad Inns or Taylor Field. I have nothing against the two-stand design that is characteristic of CFL venues, but I think said design should be reserved for pointy ball.