Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Brian McBride Sweepstakes

So -- we hold the #1 allocation right now, which means we get first dibs on McBride.

What should we do with him?

1) Sign him.

2) Find out what team he wants to play for and extort that team for some good stuff (players and/or draft picks)

3) Make that other team take Cunningham as part of a deal.

From what I've heard, his choice might be Chicago.
    Last edited by James17930; 05-29-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A combo of 2 and 3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I don't want him here. He's not that good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ummm......Extort Extort Extort!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking back at league history, MLS has a habit of making things up as they go. Using that logic, I can't see us getting anything out of this.

As a reference: Donovan came back to the league a comple years ago, Dallas owned his rights and wanted him on their roster. The league wanted Donovan in LA, they pretty much forced FCD to take jack shit in return for his rights and they ultimately signed Ruiz.

This all sucks, but we really have to admit these rules are incredibly stupid to begin with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    He would be in MLS and on TFC with the midfield we have. Saying that, if he wants to play somewhere else, definitely extort the team that will give us the most for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's going to Chicago, according to the Washington Post's Steve Goff, so the issue will be compensation.

THey might offer Chris Rolfe, who is having a really good season but isn't the DP caliber forward we're looking for.

It's also been suggested one one of the boards (Ives I think) that RSL, which is next in the allocation order, might trade up in exchange for Kenny Deuchar and a draft pick. Even though he played in the Scottish First Div, he's a good finisher (and, strangely enough, a doctor).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ when, I wonder?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sign him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree. an in form McBride is the best US striker in the world. He's a bigger talent than Landycakes in my opinion. He acquitted himself very well at Fulham (in fact, he's something of a legend at Fulham) and they would not have had to struggle so mightily to stay up this season if he had not been hurt for much of the season.

i would love to have him on our team but if we can't have him, I'd like to see the team get a good depth player (preferably an attacker...maybe Carr), a ton of allocation funds and a draft pick or two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think McBride is worth more to us as trade bait then he would as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    It's also been suggested one one of the boards (Ives I think) that RSL, which is next in the allocation order, might trade up in exchange for Kenny Deuchar and a draft pick. Even though he played in the Scottish First Div, he's a good finisher (and, strangely enough, a doctor).
    that is interesting, when RSL came here, after the game he seemed to have friends/family waiting for him.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to see what he can do. I can't believe people here are questioning this guy's ability. Probably the best striker in US history, he might have something in the tank and if he does...he would score bucketloads for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's coming back to play in the US, not Canada. He won't play for us.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh. Chicago can have him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to see what he has left, then look at dishing him out to the highest bidder!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He isn't playing here. He will refuse. The question is how much leverage this gives us (can we block a possible return by refusing to trade his rights?). Personally, my thoughts of our needs are as follows (oh, and the same needs apply to the inevitable Cunningham trade to free up a spot for a DP):

1) Allocation money - We want to sign a DP, and we've gotten good value for our dollar in international signings so far

2) Draft picks - Mo has been pretty good in the draft, and even if we start developing our own talent instead of trying to poach american kids, we can use them in future deals

3) Quality midrange (pay) depth player in midfield. We have strong depth in defence (Jimmy/Dunny left, Wynne/Velez right, JJ/Marshall/Velez/Tebily center), I'm not too concerned with our keeping, and I'd be fine with striking with DD backing up a DP (with Lombardo (ug) and Smith in waiting). I don't even mind our wings (Dunivant left, Smith right) but the center is week. With Edu, Robinson, and Guevera as our strength down the center, we really only have Harmse as a backup, and I can't stand him. We need a decent attacking (or at least box to box) option in the middle in case of callups/reds/injury.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    He isn't playing here. He will refuse. The question is how much leverage this gives us (can we block a possible return by refusing to trade his rights?). Personally, my thoughts of our needs are as follows (oh, and the same needs apply to the inevitable Cunningham trade to free up a spot for a DP):

1) Allocation money - We want to sign a DP, and we've gotten good value for our dollar in international signings so far

2) Draft picks - Mo has been pretty good in the draft, and even if we start developing our own talent instead of trying to poach american kids, we can use them in future deals

3) Quality midrange (pay) depth player in midfield. We have strong depth in defence (Jimmy/Dunny left, Wynne/Velez right, JJ/Marshall/Velez/Tebily center), I'm not too concerned with our keeping, and I'd be fine with striking with DD backing up a DP (with Lombardo (ug) and Smith in waiting). I don't even mind our wings (Dunivant left, Smith right) but the center is week. With Edu, Robinson, and Guevera as our strength down the center, we really only have Harmse as a backup, and I can't stand him. We need a decent attacking (or at least box to box) option in the middle in case of callups/reds/injury.
    But you have to look at the other side of the coin also because a team that may have allocation may not be interested in McBride. I am not even sure if there is a lot of teams that have allocation money left... Same thing goes for the players the most possible trade currency probably would be drafts. Since allocation in this leagues is a bit on the short side...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is it a definite that he isn't staying in England?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extort extort!
    I dont think we will take a player in exchange simply because we dont have the room (financially or in our line up)

Kozak does bring up some good points, as a result i can see us taking some first round draftpicks and perhaps allocations...

I dunno

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Blue View Post
    is it a definite that he isn't staying in England?
    Yes, it's been officially announced that he is leaving Fulham and coming back to the MLS.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What?? No ggod compared to who in TFC / MLS

If he signs here, he is automatically our # 1 striker, bye by Cunny & Danny D will have a partner who has a football brain.

He's a starting EPL striker, he'd be a top striker in MLS no questions about it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's more than good enough for this league. Look at the impact he & Bullard had for Fulham when they returned from injury this year. Only reasons that team stayed up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SIGN HIM!!!
    He'd more than good for the MLS. He'd be a great piece in our team.
    What's money do if we're not allowed to spend it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brian Carver McBride.
    Fulham 2004-2008 played 139, scored 32.
    A fantastic record for a striker in a very average Premier division team.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extort.
    We can get something from CHI for him. He doesn't want to be here.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneLoveOneEric View Post
    SIGN HIM!!!
    He'd more than good for the MLS. He'd be a great piece in our team.
    What's money do if we're not allowed to spend it?
    Hes alway said he wants to finish his career in the US most likely at the team he started at (columbus) or his hometown (chicago). Either way we should be getting something in return.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Strike View Post
    A combo of 2 and 3.
    agreed
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ossington Mental Youth View Post
    Hes alway said he wants to finish his career in the US most likely at the team he started at (columbus) or his hometown (chicago). Either way we should be getting something in return.

Then bring him here and let him sulk for a while. See if he changes his mind after a month or so of forced holiday. If he still wants out, let him go.
    But I think we'd be crazy to not try to keep a guy that would so clearly score boatloads in the MLS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally would rather see him go to RSL, or some one else, rather than CHI or the Crew. The last thing these two need from our point of view this year is a premier striker!