0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Brunt - Columbus kerfuffle hardly a sign of hooliganism

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I swear, you learn more about how a democracy and a free society actually works on these boards than you will in any election campaign.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Brunt on Prime Time this week?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope someone responds to that nitwit that made the first comment, I don't want to be bothered to register.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happened in Columbus, Ohio, last weekend, when Toronto FC visited the Crew for an MLS match, wasn't hooliganism. Not even close. It was frat-boy stuff, barroom stuff.

Stephen Brunt is the man.Hes so reasonable its amazing he has been employed in Toronto journalism for as long as he has.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no need.

that guy's comment is so stupid it doesn't deserve acknowledgement

he just looks stupid in contrast to Brunt's article

also it's about time a Toronto based paper takes the side of Toronto over Columbus...

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There is a reason Stephen Brunt is one of the more respected journalists out there, period.

He is more than a sports journalist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brunt is pretty much the only Toronto writer I actually read

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always good to see one of the more respected journalists in the country taking an educated point to this debate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brunt is the best sportswriter currently working in Canada and this article is a good example of why. Good stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ohhh a stephen brunt lovefest! Count me in. Along with his column, his appearances on primetime are always insightful. Might just be that I tend to agree with him majority of the time.

RPB Member
    Past President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's nice to see a reasonable take on what happened instead of fear-mongering sensationalism.
    Toronto FC baby...best team everrrrrrrrrr -Jozy

Section 114... News Flash: Flatpicker doesn't listen to everything he reads!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now that was a refreshing article!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dantdot View Post
    I hope someone responds to that nitwit that made the first comment, I don't want to be bothered to register.
    he clearly knows nothing about TFC or the MLS for that matter. To him relevance is probably a Blue Jays organization that is giving seats away from $2.00 or a Maple Leaf organization of which isnt held accountable by its fans since the majority of its fans show up half way through the second period to talk business. I dont think he has any idea what passion, loyalty and culture are.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh yea, great article.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best thing i've read today

a relief

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brunt's a class act. About 15 years ago, a paper I was working at caught someone plagiarizing a particularly good Brunt column (and he's a credit to his profession, so he's had many).

Brunt could've totally destroyed this guy's career, but instead he had his agent have a quiet word with the guy. A note went into his paper pointing out that he'd "accidentally" not attributed it. And as far as I know -- and there's a good chance I'd know -- the guy has never plagiarized again.

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopee View Post
    There is a reason Stephen Brunt is one of the more respected journalists out there, period.

He is more than a sports journalist.
    Quoted for truth. It's a shame the guy has to breathe the same air as McCown, though. I really feel sad for the guy having to put up with that blowhard and his bullshit.

As for the article itself, there's no need for further commentary because he totally hit the nail on the head. What happened in Columbus and what's been happening at BMO Field over the years is generally nothing more than a few randoms trying to start something that just isn't there. It was one or two drunken idiots who throw a railing over the ledge and that's just how it is, yet some people want to make a connection to some sort of orchestrated activity.

You know what was really an orchestrated activity? Our now-famous newspaper tifo.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Quoted for truth. It's a shame the guy has to breathe the same air as McCown, though. I really feel sad for the guy having to put up with that blowhard and his bullshit.

As for the article itself, there's no need for further commentary because he totally hit the nail on the head. What happened in Columbus and what's been happening at BMO Field over the years is generally nothing more than a few randoms trying to start something that just isn't there. It was one or two drunken idiots who throw a railing over the ledge and that's just how it is, yet some people want to make a connection to some sort of orchestrated activity.

You know what was really an orchestrated activity? Our now-famous newspaper tifo.
    Brunt and McCown are friends.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but are we talking about friend-friends or just friends?

Seriously though, I'm just waiting for the day when he snaps and starts raining blows down on McCown during Prime Time Sports.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cashcleaner View Post
    Yeah, but are we talking about friend-friends or just friends?

Seriously though, I'm just waiting for the day when he snaps and starts raining blows down on McCown during Prime Time Sports.
    I've heard him talk about having dinner at McCown's house, and watching TV there, on the show previously. He also usually has a shit eating grin on his face, when Bob starts ragging on soccer, haha.

Despite the fact that they obviously disagree on some stuff, I really think McCown's group of "regulars" are actually good friends. And by "regulars", I mean Jim Kelley, Stephen Brunt, Gord Kirke, James Deacon, etc. It becomes more apparent on "Round-Table Fridays", when they just shoot the breeze for a couple of hours, and make fun of eachother.

I know McCown isn't popular around here, but if you watch him regularly, you start to get the feeling that he isn't as much of a blowhard as he comes across as. He just does a lot of it to get a rise out of people.

At least, that's the read I get from him.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by K1nG View Post
    he clearly knows nothing about TFC or the MLS for that matter. To him relevance is probably a Blue Jays organization that is giving seats away from $2.00 or a Maple Leaf organization of which isnt held accountable by its fans since the majority of its fans show up half way through the second period to talk business. I dont think he has any idea what passion, loyalty and culture are.

Great article
    Last edited by bhoybobby; 04-01-2009 at 07:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    Brunt and McCown are friends.

- Scott

The only reason they are “friends” is because they have a mutual respect for one another’s ability to argue their often opposing business/sport opinions to the death. Otherwise, they’d be without conversation. It’s a game of entertainment that they play like any other, and a game that most enjoy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was hoping Stephen Brunt would comment on this. And I, and we, were not dissapointed. We can always count on Brunt to stand up for the sport and the people who follow it against those who'll find any excuse to knock it down.
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB 2019 Membership Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by K1nG View Post
    did your mentor give you permission to post?
    wow 2016 and things are looking up --- come on you reds lets go

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comments to the article are good also -

In a sporting world where stadiums have to beg fans to get out of their and into their seats with music, giveaways, gimics, and 7th inning stretches, its nice to see someone getting excited, albeit, a little too enthusiastic, about the best sport in the world. Finally someone is letting the insulated nihilistic triune of the North American sports fortress of Baseball, American Football, and Basketball, that when it comes to fans and loyalty (and wealth), nothing beats the international sport of FOOTBALL.

3) Most people don't realize what "hooliganism" is when they are referring to somebody as a "soccer hooligan". In a european sense it comes from *organized* group of fans who cause trouble. This is a bunch of individual idiots who acted on their own accord (and a very small number in comparison to the whole group). Which makes them stupid and deserving of pushishment but is not a sign of the TFC fan base as a whole.

And this one is funny (and has a ring of reality as probably many of our non-footy buddies probably have this view of anyone who went on a footy roadtrip)

Something must have been amiss. Around 2,000 people travelled to Columbus -- of all places -- to watch soccer!

I mean, seriously. Of course the cops would assume they were lunatics. If you had a taser on you, and someone told you that they just went to Columbus to watch soccer, could you truthfully say you wouldn't taser him?? For the good of the species?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all is fine. . you can just FEEL the love!!

NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Bahahahhahahahaha.....

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hahaha.... they still can't get over the fence pissing
    ///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoe15 View Post
    I was hoping Stephen Brunt would comment on this. And I, and we, were not dissapointed. We can always count on Brunt to stand up for the sport and the people who follow it against those who'll find any excuse to knock it down.
    I don’t think he was necessarily standing up for anything as he clearly agrees that some TFC fans in Columbus were boobs rather than the soccer “hooligans” that they were portrayed to be in some media outlets. He merely states that it was not hooliganism in Columbus - which is defined as organized and purposeful – rather a drunken frat boy party gone way overboard.

“TFC — and just as importantly, its supporters — would be well advised to nip this in the bud.”

This might have been the best line in the entire argument. Whether we like it or not, we are falsely perceived now as a bunch of hooligans by many uninformed people. Our image of passion and loyalty has quickly been stained to drunks and brawlers.

It is an embarrassing eye-opener so let the image mending begin I suppose?!