Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Kevin Harmse vs Marco Velez

With Wynne, Brennan and Serioux as the main 3 defenders, the 4th spot has been much to debate early on this season, fellow red patch boys the best supporters in all the land i ask you this, who do you prefer for the 4th spot??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone else

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll say Velez.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are about the same level. I dont think it would make much of a difference.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I need to choose one?? can i have an option for neither.....haha!!!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

loving the quick responses, i guess im not the only one obsessed with the forum at work, i would take neither as well if we can get a good edwards trade or use dp, not sure what mo's got in his back pocket

from what we have i like marco velez

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

harmse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hyypia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

velez

olegunnar

Harmse makes me laugh sometimes.

He treats the ball like a hand grenade...get it the fuck away from me!!!

Kind of useful in the defensive third...but when he's in the midfield like last game...it's a total waste of possession. It's like he's playing rugby and kicking for touch all the time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harmse does seem to attact cards - and balls too it would appear - so on that basis I'd say Velez ... but I think what we really need is a different option.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hyypia for me too please! with him leading the line the rest of the league might just as well give up now!
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attakora

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aside from the "someone else" answer I could give, I prefer Harmse. There's just been so many cock-ups from Velez last year and he hasn't earned my trust back; not yet anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my grandmother - the two of them are shit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No clue. Need to see Velez more consistently this year to know whether he's improved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to see what these Gambians are made of

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nana

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T_Mizz View Post
    I want to see what these Gambians are made of
    i think one is with the academy, wouldnt mind seeing the older one in actoin, do you know if they are defenders or attackers??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They're both defenders and come August first they'll both be available for first team action, the older one is available right now however

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Velez if for no other reason, the passion he brings on the field. With all the shit talking we do about him, he likes us more than we deserve. That being said I'd prefer he loved us from the bench. I think Nana is worth a try if we don't sign a quality CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I like Velez in terms of heart and desire. But he makes too many mental mistakes for a professional CB. I hope that changes, but it takes more then one game to convince me. Harmse is another issue, I do not think he is terrible as a player, but to many fauls and cards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both were soo bad, I was seriously debating walking over to Mo's box and saying:

"Hey Mo, about you sign me to a $500 contract? As a non-international, I could provide you with slightly less shitty (although still shitty) CB spot than the two stooges you had running around today.... or you could go for something cheaper and sign my grandmother. She'd probably only demand medication as her salary"

I'm in line for this:
    1 - Signing someone else - (Why the heck didn't we nab Parke)
    or
    2 - Put in one of the Gambians... Look how good Nana turned out when he finally got his shot. Your never gunna see the talent if it just sits there on the pine!
    And for that matter, you'd totally get the opposing coach scratching their head, as it would be something out of the ordinary for Carver to do:

possibly screwing up the gameplan of the other team
    (which as of now is this: take it at Harmse, and you will score cuz he's shite at defending... if you don't score you'll probably still be likely to get him carded and give us an advantage)

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Valez no question. He will need another season but he will be good enough for the MLS.

He has heart, passion and obviously loves playing for TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Velez!

El Patron
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's too bad neither of them can get their shit together

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Velez has more potential because his problem is mostly ball watching. Getting a guy to get his head in the game is easier, I think, than correcting poor movement and Harmse's movement, particularly laterally while facing up to the ball handler, has been very poor so far this year. I'm surprised, because outside of his aggression, I thought he was underrated as a backup to Robbo.

That's a pretty dangerous problem for a central defender if you're playing a striker who can play off a defender's shoulder and drift off into space or turn very quickly. I guarantee if we man Harmse up with Montero (even if it's because we're playing straight zonally across the board, with potential help) we'll get fucking destroyed.

Velez at least has the pace and movement to keep up. Problematically, being caught ball watching is particularly dangerous against wide teams, which includes Seattle, because it often means losing track of the space behind you. But I don't think the peril of putting Harmse up against Fredy Montero can be understated. (Shit, I know that sounds negative and I'm trying to be more positive....)

I'd like to see Velez playing centre and Robinson full-field man-marking Montero. If he doesn't full-field cover him, there's too much danger he'll drop back momentarily, then find space when Robbo picks up a more immediate threat in the half-field. The kid's a really smart player.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harmse has technical (and aggression) issues, but he works hard. Velez has better technical upside, but he constantly ball watches.

I wish we could just mash them into one person. They'd probably be a decent defender in MLS.

I'd take Velez, on the condition that he wears a shock collar, and Carver get's the remote control. So when he screws around, and watches the play around him, Carver can give him a little jolt.

I have to say though - I really don't think Harmse looked awful in our KC match. Columbus he was pretty rough, but he wasn't a CB - he was a midfielder. And Harmse is a bad midfielder, as he constantly has a tendency to just blast the ball upfield, instead of making a smart pass.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Elkinson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Velez has more potential because his problem is mostly ball watching. Getting a guy to get his head in the game is easier, I think, than correcting poor movement and Harmse's movement, particularly laterally while facing up to the ball handler, has been very poor so far this year. I'm surprised, because outside of his aggression, I thought he was underrated as a backup to Robbo.

That's a pretty dangerous problem for a central defender if you're playing a striker who can play off a defender's shoulder and drift off into space or turn very quickly. I guarantee if we man Harmse up with Montero (even if it's because we're playing straight zonally across the board, with potential help) we'll get fucking destroyed.

Velez at least has the pace and movement to keep up. Problematically, being caught ball watching is particularly dangerous against wide teams, which includes Seattle, because it often means losing track of the space behind you. But I don't think the peril of putting Harmse up against Fredy Montero can be understated. (Shit, I know that sounds negative and I'm trying to be more positive....)

I'd like to see Velez playing centre and Robinson full-field man-marking Montero. If he doesn't full-field cover him, there's too much danger he'll drop back momentarily, then find space when Robbo picks up a more immediate threat in the half-field. The kid's a really smart player.
    Fair comment. There is many things that I like in a CB, the ability to anticipate and kill plays early and the ability to take away space from a striker(attacker), quick to clear/and or pass the ball out, are some of them. I think that Harmse being a natural mid, may not have the understding of how to play a striker tight, and to hold him,push him into poor position for the strikers.