Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Onward! -- Both sides of the story

Some thoughts on the media coverage of TFC fans - and an appeal for self-policing to weed out the railing throwers.

http://onwardsoccer.com/2009/03/31/b...-of-the-story/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's so unfortunate that I had to spend an hour ripping Wheeler for his text, and not as much time praising this one. Supporter groups do know what needs to be done, the problem we have is that the media all too often sensasionalize (I don't have to explain that to you - you know what it's about better than most of us) things. It's much faster to write an all-encompassing article slamming everyone and branding them hooligans than it is to find these people and take action.

If we could take action to sanction the rail-throwers before anyone had a chance to write about it, we would be praised for our action. But because this is not possible (it takes less time to write a piece, than it does to travel back to Toronto from Columbus), we will invariably get those persons after all this negative press, by which time it'll be too late. All people will see is that we had to be told to self-police, when we know this ourselves. Problem is, there are a lot of people who'd rather just criticize because it's easy and ignore the fact that finding these people will take at least a few days.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Can we all just do a slightly better job of protecting the fun? It would make it a whole lot easier for the media – and the Columbus cops – to single out the dangerous idiots from the vast majority of benign, happy ones."

^^ What he said !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I ever see another article mentioning Bob McCown and Barbarez in the same sentence, I'll eat my hat.

Nice job, Ben.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King Jeff View Post
    If I ever see another article mentioning Bob McCown and Barbarez in the same sentence, I'll eat my hat.

Nice job, Ben.
    LOL...i thought you were joking...

Great Article Ben.

Now we just need Mr. Paul to stick up for us....
    The Sun is a sponsor of TFC...he should maybe put a little pressure on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As always Ben, you state your thoughts eloquently and address the heart of the issue. You are not making excuses for the bad apples, at the same time you don't cast the blame on the majority of our traveling support.

I don't understand why you have not been asked to join all of these on-air debates. Could it be that you would add some reality and facts to Toth's and Wheeler's uninformed accusations.

Criticism from you, Ben, would be taken seriously by the RPB's because you are unbiased and well-informed. Criticism from those two schmucks just incites anger.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm terribly disappointed in the article. It's unbiased. It admits a lack of knowledge. It doesn't really go out of its way to bash anyone (except media folk).

Who the hell does the author think he is?

Media shouldn't write like that!

Duh.... of course I'm kidding. Great article Ben!

Barbarez

Mr. Knight I dare you to stop being so paranoid and go back to writing half-assed player/game reviews.

Barbarez

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarez View Post
    Mr. Knight I dare you to stop being so paranoid and go back to writing half-assed player/game reviews.

Barbarez
    Just curious (as you were named one of the extremes) what would you ideally like to see out of the media coverage of TFC?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Just curious (as you were named one of the extremes) what would you ideally like to see out of the media coverage of TFC?
    I know what I'd like. Analysis of the players, the team, and the league - with insight over and above the casual poster on this board, given that's what Ben does for a living. I'd like to see the kind of insight that we are supposed to get out of someone with media credientials. I praised Ben for a half decent analysis of the Columbus game, and now he's gone right back to square 1.

Reina de la Carretera
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well Done Ben and thankyou. It's now our job to make it right and pray to god that when i call all the clubs for our away tickets i don't a denial.
    RPB Road Warrior. Crew 5/26/07, Boston 6/23/07, Chi 7/7/07, NY 8/11/07, DC 9/29/07, LA 10/13/07, MLS Cup 11/18/07, C-Bus 3/25/08, DC 5/24/08, MTL 5/27/08, Chi 7/12/08, KC 9/20/08, KC Opener 3/21/09, C-Bus 3/28/09, DC March 5/9/09, Super Draft 2010, CCC 2010, MTL 5/12/10, Philly 7/17/10, Honduras 8/3/10, NY 8/11/10, Mexico 9/21/10, Turkey 01/29/11

Barbarez

First of all, this isn't TFC media coverage, Mr. Knight is glorifying hooliganism and encouraging it actually. By recognizing all the smoke, fights and other bullshit in his worthless article what do you think Mr. Knight is accomplishing? Douchebags are gonna read his drivel and gloat then do it again to see what Mr. Knight's and others reaction will be. Have you not learned anything from the British and their way of fighting this kinda crap Mr. Knight?

Reina de la Carretera
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarez View Post

Barbarez

aaahhh barbie barbie!!! allow us some good press please lol we need it at the moment....and i still luv ya...wanker c ya for a beer on saturday.
    RPB Road Warrior. Crew 5/26/07, Boston 6/23/07, Chi 7/7/07, NY 8/11/07, DC 9/29/07, LA 10/13/07, MLS Cup 11/18/07, C-Bus 3/25/08, DC 5/24/08, MTL 5/27/08, Chi 7/12/08, KC 9/20/08, KC Opener 3/21/09, C-Bus 3/28/09, DC March 5/9/09, Super Draft 2010, CCC 2010, MTL 5/12/10, Philly 7/17/10, Honduras 8/3/10, NY 8/11/10, Mexico 9/21/10, Turkey 01/29/11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He names Barbarez. That is classic. I had to read it twice to see if I had missed read it.

thankless moocher, riding on the coattails of others
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinUtd View Post
    Cover the Game not the crowd.

period. end of convo.

FYI

You think I like inhaling a pack full of matches with every single smoke bomb? Fuck no, But it looks cool as shit. So I'm going to keep going with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah fair comment.
    No press is better than bad press.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KdotOdot View Post

period. end of convo.

FYI

You think I like inhaling a pack full of matches with every single smoke bomb? Fuck no, But it looks cool as shit. So I'm going to keep going with it.
    He's a blogger. You want game reports, go to the regular media. Blogs are opinion pieces.

B

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hay Barbie next time we go there we will give them a little bit of this.

First they stopped the game:

and than their team scores 3 goals in 12 minutes,that's how you make away game to have home filed advantage

PS Commentator is fucking crazy,I wish we have someone with this kind of passion covering our games.

Cheers
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So let me get this straight - Red Patch Boys are condoning the use of smoke bombs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post
    So let me get this straight - Red Patch Boys are condoning the use of smoke bombs?
    How did you come to this conclusion?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
    How did you come to this conclusion?
    Perhaps I totally misread that, but KdotOdot said
    But it looks cool as shit. So I'm going to keep going with it.
    I assumed he meant throwing smoke bombs ... perhaps I'm just totally missing something ...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

period. end of convo.

FYI

+1!

Thank You. I fully agree.

Smoke bombs don't hurt anybody and they look cool as shit!

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nfitz View Post

Guys are allowed to have their own opinions without it being the stance of the group.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two things need to be done going forward.

1. The idiots who do stupid, dangerous or illegal things at matches need to have their privileges to attend matches revoked. It is not too difficult to identify and ban people from attending through the use of CCTV and keeping the front offices league-wide abreast of the situation.

2. MLS needs to learn a lesson from the rest of the world on how to handle away support and crowd control.

Those two things will solve 99.9% of the problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What problems?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    +1!

What he was saying was the smoke bombs LEAD to flares....and you're wrong...smoke hurts people with breathing conditions...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFCREDNWHITE View Post
    +1!

I disagree. I like to watch the football game, not smoke.

Reina de la Carretera
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What problems?

lmao aaahhh

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LondonToffee View Post
    Two things need to be done going forward.

1. The idiots who do stupid, dangerous or illegal things at matches need to have their privileges to attend matches revoked. It is not too difficult to identify and ban people from attending through the use of CCTV and keeping the front offices league-wide abreast of the situation.

2. MLS needs to learn a lesson from the rest of the world on how to handle away support and crowd control.

Those two things will solve 99.9% of the problems.
    I really hope they will,than we will be able to do like the guys from my last post,just 6 posts above yours.
    Hint: first youtube video
    Great love does not exist without joy and without great suffering ,that's why One club is worth only as much as its fans !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL C'mon. People are acting like smoke bombs are going off throughout the whole 90 minutes not just for 3-5.