Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rohan Ricketts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roogsy View Post
    Some of the comments here remind me of the Robbo haters. A little football education needs to be acquired.
    Or your blinders need to come off........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Blue View Post
    Or your blinders need to come off........
    ya, people need to take the blinders off and see MLS more generally.... it's a league where players have faults and don't play great every game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoBlades View Post
    A lot of people really need to watch TFC game better. Stop watching the scoreboards and start watching how he pulls defenders towards him all the time and that is giving players like Guavara and DeRo that much more field to play with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaughno View Post
    I agree for the most part, but these two games this season his quality on the ball was not up to par IMO.
    Quoted again for truth. It's not Ricketts' overall performance that I was not happy with, it's when he's actually been on the ball that he hasn't been cutting it in the past two games. As always, he works hard defensively and his presence alone draws defenders creating space for others.

That said, he needs to up his game IMO. He seems to have let the media stuff go to his head.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait until we've played the next two games at home. RR is basically an attacking player and in this season's line up, playing at home in front of our own fans with the team taking more possession and going forward a lot more, I think we'll see a much better side of RR. Playing away from home is much harder to shine for players like RR. He also strikes me a confidence player, get him on a good run when we have all those home games coming up and he could win a few matches for us.

That said, if his level doesn't go up then I think he needs to take a pay cut if he stays, because overall his performances since he signed have not matched the relative chunk of the salary cap that he takes up.
    We are the Angry Mob, we read the papers every day
    We like who we like, we hate who we hate
    But we're also easily swayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quoted again for truth. It's not Ricketts' overall performance that I was not happy with, it's when he's actually been on the ball that he hasn't been cutting it in the past two games. As always, he works hard defensively and his presence alone draws defenders creating space for others.

That said, he needs to up his game IMO. He seems to have let the media stuff go to his head.
    Agreed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He seems to have let the media stuff go to his head.
    how would you know that? can you read his mind?

here's a thought: maybe "what you see is what you get" from Ricketts. I hear people always say that players should "step up their game" or that "distractions are making them play worse" when it's entirely possible this is just the way they are.

He was inconsistent in England without the "media stuff" distracting him.
    He's an inconsistent player, and that's why he's in MLS and not playing with Arsenal.

If people expect Rohan to play consistently, they miss the point of his whole career.
    But I liked what he brought last season.. he scored 4 goals in league play (more than he did in his career) and won us some games.
    Last edited by rocker; 03-30-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree for the most part, but these two games this season his quality on the ball was not up to par IMO.
    Of course! I don't disagree here, but even when his game his off, his presence opens space for more players. His game will be back, and when it does, watch out. It'll make life easier for all 11 players on the pitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blackandwhite View Post
    Hey Shakes... I didn't know you were "connected". I will know better to correct you next time... I don't wanna get banned again for touching a "connected" guy.
    What was said in this thread, that suddenly made you conclude that I'm a "connected" guy? (Whatever that means).

I said I didn't recall any instances of Lombardo or Welshy fanboyism - which is a far cry from declaring unequivocally that it didn't happen. I don't understand why you're getting adversarial with me about this.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    how would you know that? can you read his mind?

here's a thought: maybe "what you see is what you get" from Ricketts. I hear people always say that players should "step up their game" or that "distractions are making them play worse" when it's entirely possible this is just the way they are.

He was inconsistent in England without the "media stuff" distracting him.
    He's an inconsistent player, and that's why he's in MLS and not playing with Arsenal.

If people expect Rohan to play consistently, they miss the point of his whole career.
    But I liked what he brought last season.. he scored 4 goals in league play (more than he did in his career) and won us some games.
    I'll bet JC want's him to play with consistency in his game as in good as opposed to indifferent. He he was an asshole, he'd be gone, the fact that he's a decent bloke has bought him some leeway.

I hope he works out o.k but I don't see it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colman1860 View Post
    Ricketts hasn't been invisible - he's been extremely visible since he loses the ball every single time he has possession. There was a situation yesterday where he actually took it off DeRo. His passes were lackluster, his dribbling was slow and ineffective, and he couldn't tackle to save his life. Reminding me of Edu...a bit too focused on the off the field stuff.
    Overstatement of the year!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bignickel View Post
    listen, no hard on here. i am not questioning ricketts talent, i am questioning his fitness level. he has a hard time running back and keeping up with the play. i mean de rosario is covering alot more defensively and plays deeper.

as for the 2 braces if you want to bring up goal production, those were the only 4 goals he had all year, nuff said on that one.

as for the blanco trade, if you read my earlier post in this thread i kind of take back the suggestion. it would be a bad deal for chicago.
    That's the same number of goals as Guevara had last year and only 1 less then Dichio. Actually while wearing a TFC shirt I don't believe anyone scored more than 5 last years. Basically I'm saying that we shouldn't be using goal production as a criteria for 'quality' for any member of the team...nuff said?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dozitwin View Post
    That's the same number of goals as Guevara had last year and only 1 less then Dichio. Actually while wearing a TFC shirt I don't believe anyone scored more than 5 last years. Basically I'm saying that we shouldn't be using goal production as a criteria for 'quality' for any member of the team...nuff said?
    Yep, Dichio was TFC's top scorer with 5 goals. Barrett had more for the season, but only 4 for Toronto. And yes, goal production is a terrible judge of talent - which is why I think a lot of the criticisms of Barrett are misguided.

It's clear that Barrett and Ricketts are having some trouble finding their form, but we are only two games in. Barrett started to look better last season, once he got settled in. I am convinced we will see better from him.

I also have a hunch that Ricketts will start to mesh a lot better on the attack, once he gets settled in his role with our new faces (DeRo, Pablo, Cronin).

And as long as the favourable results keep coming, I'm satisfied. No need for torches and pitchforks yet.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thing about Barret , is not his lack of goals, I do not expect him to score 30, he will score, and I do not think he had a bad first game, it just dawned on me in the second game, when Dichio came in, how the attack came together, how Dichio was able to hold the ball, distripuated, and put it into open space for the other players and many other little things he did. I do not think that Barret sucks, by any strech, and I think he will do well this season, it is just that he seems to need to learn alot about playing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trane View Post
    The thing about Barret , is not his lack of goals, I do not expect him to score 30, he will score, and I do not think he had a bad first game, it just dawned on me in the second game, when Dichio came in, how the attack came together, how Dichio was able to hold the ball, distripuated, and put it into open space for the other players and many other little things he did. I do not think that Barret sucks, by any strech, and I think he will do well this season, it is just that he seems to need to learn alot about playing.
    Dichio has a lot more wisdom and experience on the pitch, I can't dispute that. Barrett is still learning.

Plus, does anyone remember the awful shape Barrett was in, when he first came to us? It doesn't even look like he's been on a proper fitness regiment for most of his MLS career.

Colin Samuel must be Chicago's fitness Coach, if Barrett and Blanco were/are any indication.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I love Barretts work rate, and willigness to shot, and runs into the box, if his mind catches up to his effort he could trully be the "rooney of the MLS". I hope that he does it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Agreed, it seemed like everytime he got the ball, he lost it or passed it away almost instantly. He got school a couple of times on D as well. Mind you he was up against Sqweefloto, hard to defend against him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dozitwin View Post
    thank you for supporting my point. someone pointed out that ricketts had 2 braces and i merely discounted that as a measure of his production.

but now that you brought it up yes, someone did score more than 5 goals in a season while wearing a tfc shirt, and his name was danny dichio, way back in 2007, nuff said?????

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bignickel View Post
    thank you for supporting my point. someone pointed out that ricketts had 2 braces and i merely discounted that as a measure of his production.

but now that you brought it up yes, someone did score more than 5 goals in a season while wearing a tfc shirt, and his name was danny dichio, way back in 2007, nuff said?????
    I was in agreement that goals are a poor indication of play - as I said in my post "for those who only care about goal production".

Someone else scored more than five goals in a season too (albeit not all for TFC), and his name was Chad Barrett, way back in 2008.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shakes McQueen View Post
    I was in agreement that goals are a poor indication of play - as I said in my post "for those who only care about goal production".

Someone else scored more than five goals in a season too (albeit not all for TFC), and his name was Chad Barrett, way back in 2008.

- Scott
    thats why i didn't mention barrett, because i actually read the post which clearly stated 'in a tfc jersey' way back 3 hours ago!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I here what you guys are saying about Barrett but...

That miss in KC was monumentally bad.

I'm getting old but I think the kids would call it ...an epic miss

Still pulling for both of them but I expect only one to hit

B

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ricketts is a good player in this league. The thing with him is that he excels when the team is attacking and taking the play to the opponents. But when we're under pressure he chases around and isn't effective then..what I would do is play him more strategically..in games against weaker teams he is often really good..and can take advantage of opponents...but he's just not a player that can adapt to a defensive environment very well..
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Get In There View Post
    I here what you guys are saying about Barrett but...

That miss in KC was monumentally bad.

I'm getting old but I think the kids would call it ...an epic miss

Still pulling for both of them but I expect only one to hit

B
    It was an awful, horrible miss, and I screamed more than a few expletives when he did it. I don't think anyone would argue it was a good shot, haha.

- Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is why athletes hate playing for Toronto. We have a way of calling for the heads of players/coaches after a bad game or two. It's really fucking stupid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    This is why athletes hate playing for Toronto. We have a way of calling for the heads of players/coaches after a bad game or two. It's really fucking stupid.
    this is nothing, talk to david beckham after taking the red in the world cup.

there is not a place on earth that won't call pro athletes out!