Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Blanco Says 2009 to be Final Season in Chicago

Interesting comments from Blanco. Looks like he's not happy, which is just fine with me.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...eref=si_soccer

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about Mo makes a call to see if he would like to join TFC. He is awesome and would be sick with VITTI and Dero.

How about Ricketts and Barret for The rights to BLANCO ASAP!!

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure Chicago is just dying to get Barrett back...

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
    Interesting comments from Blanco. Looks like he's not happy, which is just fine with me.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...eref=si_soccer
    i'd take him in a heart beat for our team.

only problem is if his hot temper and ego can co-exist with the likes of guevera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking if he stays in MLS - LA or Chivas in 2009.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well he did say he wants more midfielders and less defence which describes us perfectly, not to mention the great celebration he from us after his goal at the all-star game. we might be a good fit.

i have to say, i would also agree with the barrett and ricketts for blanco trade.

he is old but for a year or two he would make a big difference for us.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to see how he performs this season before I say I'd be interested. Also, I'd like to know what kind of salary he'd demand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 125_TFC View Post
    I'd like to see how he performs this season before I say I'd be interested. Also, I'd like to know what kind of salary he'd demand.
    let me put this out to you then:

1. he is going to be a dp, obviously he will command over $400,000 (assuming we have the space) so anything over 400k doesn't make a difference.

2. chicago is calling mo right now and asking for barrett and ricketts tomorrow.

do you make this trade? without having the luxury of watching him all season of course.

me, i make the trade, this guy will be a game breaker.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pass.

It's a non-starter for TFC.

The only DP that could ever make sense in this market is one who helps TV ratings. Blanco is unknown to the Toronto audience. Be honest, did you know who Blanco was in 2006?

Now Pippo Inzaghi, that would be different.....
    Last edited by ensco; 03-25-2009 at 07:44 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Pass.

The only DP that could ever make sense in this market is one who helps TV ratings.

How many people even on this board knew Blanco's name before he signed with the Fire?

i would think that most knew his name before signing with the fire. i mean our national team has faced this guy for years.

now asking them to spell his first name....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pass.

The only DP that could ever make sense in this market is one who helps TV ratings. Blanco is unknown to the Toronto audience. Be honest, did you know who Blanco was in 2006?

o.k you might of had me with blanco not helping t.v. ratings but then you try to support point by bringing up pippo inzaghi!?!?

we would spend too much time educating 75% of the italian community on who the guy is!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure give them Barrett and Ricketts, then Chicago will go out and sign another DP in the summer and win the cup.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bignickel View Post

we would spend too much time educating 75% of the italian community on who the guy is!
    you seriously telling me that 75% of Italian football fans need to be told who Super Pippo is?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too old. He's got the talent, but our midfield is already relatively old, I'd rather not trade for him.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would think that most knew his name before signing with the fire. i mean our national team has faced this guy for years.

now asking them to spell his first name....
    OK I'm speaking only for myself and the group I watch football with, but pre TFC, the Canadian national team games were too infrequent to stay on top of who the players for the opposition were, unless they played in Europe (like Marquez). I did not know Blanco.

In support of this, I would point out that almost no one on these boards knew who Amado Guevara was when his name first surfaced in 2007, despite the fact that he has been a Honduran starter since 1994.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK I'm speaking only for myself and the group I watch football with, but pre TFC, the Canadian national team games were too infrequent to stay on top of who the players for the opposition were, unless they played in Europe (like Marquez). I did not know Blanco.

In support of this, I would point out that almost no one on these boards knew who Amado Guevara was when his name first surfaced in 2007, despite the fact that he has been a Honduran starter since 1994.
    comparing guevara to blanco is not realistic.

if you didn't know who blanco was then you and your crew don't watch much world cup, let me refresh:

blanco was 'the guy' for mexico in the 1998 and 2002 world cups coming up with sick moves in almost every game they played. his jumping through 2 defenders while squeezing the ball between his feet became one of the top 5 plays of the 1998 world cup and mimicked by kids worldwide.

i am not a blanco lover, but only 8 months ago i was sitting at an allstar game at bmo field against a stacked premier league team and this guy named 'blanco' won the mvp.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

comparing guevara to blanco is not realistic.

if you didn't know who blanco was then you and your crew don't watch much world cup, let me refresh:

blanco was 'the guy' for mexico in the 1998 and 2002 world cups coming up with sick moves in almost every game they played. his jumping through 2 defenders while squeezing the ball between his feet became one of the top 5 plays of the 1998 world cup and mimicked by kids worldwide.

i am not a blanco lover, but only 8 months ago i was sitting at an allstar game at bmo field against a stacked premier league team and this guy named 'blanco' won the mvp.
    I watched a lot of World Cup games. There are a lot of players who you remember three months after the event, not three years after.

The ASG comment means nothing - there are lots of fabulous footballers, who would be stars in MLS, that you and I have barely, or never, heard of.

You knew who he was. I got it. Let's agree to disagree.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched a lot of World Cup games. There are a lot of players who you remember three months after the event, not three years after.

The ASG comment means nothing - there are lots of fabulous footballers, who would be stars in MLS, that you and I have barely, or never, heard of.

You knew who he was. I got it. Let's agree to disagree.
    actually my argument was against your comment that most of the toronto audience didn't know who blanco was before 2006.

i apologize, i thought you were referring to people who actually follow the game.

but sure, i will disagree to agree!

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you seriously telling me that 75% of Italian football fans need to be told who Super Pippo is?
    I would say 99.99999% of Italian football fans would know who inzaghi is... and I would say that 45% of Italian fans in Canada would have a picture of him on the azzurri squad hanging in their house beside the 2006 squad picture and probably on the wall above either a Virgin mary Statue or a Padre Pio statue or quite possibly both...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s2cazz View Post
    I would say 99.99999% of Italian football fans would know who inzaghi is... and I would say that 45% of Italian fans in Canada would have a picture of him on the azzurri squad hanging in their house beside the 2006 squad picture and probably on the wall above either a Virgin mary Statue or a Padre Pio statue or quite possibly both...
    45% of italians? you mean more like 95% of italian fans. the only problem is that 80% of them couldn't name even 5 guys by looking at the photo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't sign Blanco, unless he came on a free transfer, and we had cap space lying around anyway. I absolutely would not trade away assets like Barrett and Ricketts.

With Ricketts gone, we would only have one real winger left (Jo. Smith). And trading away a young project with potential like Barrett, for a decently talented old fart in the sunset of his career like Blanco, would be wrong.

Blanco and Vitti would probably be dynamite, but committing another $400K of cap space to a position we are already strong and deep in, is folly. We can't afford to throw money at players it would be nice to have, but we really don't need.

If we had no cap, sure see if Blanco wants to play out the year here. It's just money, at that point. But that's not the reality.

On a side note, I really feel sometimes like Ricketts doesn't get the respect he deserves here. Even on that guy's worst game, he's still probably worth his weight in gold to the team's chemistry.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would take Blanco in a second for Barrett and Ricketts. Oh and Ensco, are you for real? you didn't know who Blanco was in 2006? I can guarantee you there are a ton of people in Canada who don't follow the MLS and they know exactly who Blanco is. We have a pretty big Mexican community

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inzaghi = GARBAGE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would venture to say that many South Americans are familiar with Blanco considering his participation in Copa Libertadores and the 1999 Confederations Cup final against Brazil.

I would certainly be interested in Blanco playing for TFC but at this stage of his career, the chances are that he would become an expensive substitute player for a year or maybe two at most. I don't think it would make sense to do so.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

let me put this out to you then:

1. he is going to be a dp, obviously he will command over $400,000 (assuming we have the space) so anything over 400k doesn't make a difference.

2. chicago is calling mo right now and asking for barrett and ricketts tomorrow.

do you make this trade? without having the luxury of watching him all season of course.

me, i make the trade, this guy will be a game breaker.
    No, I wouldn't make that trade. Two players who have not reached their potential, and could be game breakers this season. For a player who is on the downward slope of his career, and could be gone at the end of the season anyway.

I only sign Blanco if he shows consistency this season, and does not demand a DP salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 125_TFC View Post
    No, I wouldn't make that trade. Two players who have not reached their potential, and could be game breakers this season. For a player who is on the downward slope of his career, and could be gone at the end of the season anyway.

I only sign Blanco if he shows consistency this season, and does not demand a DP salary.
    fair enough, although i would say even though rohan is young i still think he was most promising at a much younger age. he will contribute but don't expect a big upswing.

barrett could still progress but i am still not seeing that sniper instinct. hard worker no doubt.

i don't doubt blanco will be consistent, he has been consistent every year his whole career. he already has 1 goal in 11 minutes of playing time.

still a tough call though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have to say, i would also agree with the barrett and ricketts for blanco trade.

yeah thats what we need more strikers and less defenders!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
    yeah thats what we need more strikers and less defenders!
    oh shit i forgot, ricketts and barrett are rocks on our back line !?!?
    this is the point where the thread starts spiralling into nonsense. mods please close

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blanco is old. Even if he came here, all indications are that he is going back to Mexico after this season.

Giving up two young potential game-breakers, to get Blanco for the balance of the season, isn't prudent planning in my books.

Now, if it was a 30-something center-back with Blanco's level of talent, I'd be open to discussing it. But striker is not a position we appear to need help in, or need to invest more of our salary cap in. Our club's weakness is not up front.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    I had my first King Dave experience[...]was blowing in my mouth all game.

I loved it, it tasted like Canada!