Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    just on the substitution thang....

according to the stats, in 2008 Carver made 75 subs in 30 games last year (2.5 per game... probably as close an average as one might want considering you only get 3 per game).

Of those 75 subs, 47 came before the 75th minute.
    33 of those came before the 65th minute.... so he changed 1 player before the 65th in more than every game, and then in about half the rest of the games, he changed a 2nd player before garbage time.

The average minute for Carver's subs to come in was the 67th minute.

Seems about right to me. He seems to have a quick hook if you are really screwing around out there (having changed whole batches of players at or shortly after half in some games last year). If you perform half decently, you stay.
    Honestly these stats don't change my opinion that Carver is terrible at making and choosing substitutions. He constantly leaves guys out there when they looked absolutely exhausted and when they are performing horribly.

Having said that, Carver made the right moves in yesterday's game so I give him props for that.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DVS View Post
    You can't stop something like that. Columbus is the nearest MLS city and the rivalry will stay as such. Besides, judging by the empty stadium any publicity is good publicity for the Crew and MLS
    This is true. I'm not just saying it because I live so close to CBus (1 hour away) but it is close by and the tickets are easy to get. Either through one of the supporter groups or even the Crew ticket office. A little over 14,000 for the defending champs home opener....
    But I also think if we did move our attention towards NY then there wouldn't be that many go to CBus and all the idiots that went to CBus would go to NY. Either way whatever game we say will be 'the one' will have idiots attached to the caravan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    John Carver shushing the Columbus fans was epic.
    what did he do and when?

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Sorry all you Vitti fans, but he lost most of his one-on-one battles and got dispossessed far too many times for me to be happy with his game.
    He lost the ball twice. I was counting. He won it more often than that with his slide tackles. Vitti was a beast out there.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colman1860 View Post
    He lost the ball twice. I was counting. He won it more often than that with his slide tackles. Vitti was a beast out there.
    Look I didn't use prozone, but it was obvious that Vitti struggled, with the exception of a couple of moves once Dichio was in. He was not comfortable. He did annoy the hell out of Hesmer on set pieces, which was great.

It was his first game, he got zero support (Barrett, Ricketts and St DeRo were all way off their games), and Columbus, who are very good defensively, marked him closely.

Not slagging anybody, but I think "incomplete" is the only grade that makes sense for him.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stu! View Post
    The simplest answer is this; for the most part, Americans just don't care for soccer.
    Seattle outsold even us in season tickets (if you look at season one - before we had a massive waiting list). I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that when it's really more a matter of certain markets that do not care about football. OR maybe the problem is in the marketing? Look at the Toronto Lynx. People could've easily said that people in Toronto don't care about football, when we all knew it had more to do with the product off and on the field. Also, USL is not that much worse than the standard of the MLS - let's be honest.

There might be thousands of genuine football fans in every MLS market, but they reject he product because the atmosphere isn't there. When teams stop marketing the product to soccer moms we might see full stadiums. DC and Houston is doing well - and so is Seattle. It's going to get better in the future. I'm sure of it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devioustrevor View Post
    I really enjoyed reading this:

Did anyone else see the TFC 'luche libre' dude knock the guy out in the east gate right at the final whistle?

Pre punch the guy had one nose. Post punch, he had two!
    That person obviously wasn't there because that is not who did it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha I was at the TFC site and theres a poll on Who was the Toronto FC Man of the Match vs. Columbus?...I'm disappointed that Gino Padula is not on the selection haha

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    TFC was lucky to get a point out of Columbus.

Was a frustrating game to watch, esp first half. Seemed like the boys gave Columbus too much respect and almost got ran over in first 20mins. Needed to be more aggressive and take more chances when given that split second to shoot outside the box. Couple of lost chances to take a shot in first half due to hesitation.

Harmse handball... Seemed a tough call. He was turning around, hands not flailing and close to chest and Shitlicker kicked the ball pretty much right at him. Seemed more ball to hand than hand to ball to me.

Lucky on own goal. TFC definitely missed Guevara in mid. Didnt help that DeRo had an off game

Frei good. Sutton was MoM. Made couple of crucial saves and had good judgement collecting dangerous balls into the box. Good to know TFC has two good keepers

Going to watch the game again and make better judgement on players

here are the reasons why the above post is a model for posts in a Post match thread.

1 - game / player focused. as opposed to fans, tickets, trouble, ect.
    2. Honest about game result and play
    3. calls out specific players and their performances
    4. MOTM nomination
    5. creative nickmname for Opposing player
    5. quick concise and readable

Thanks columbus, scored 2 goals, and got one point.

The complete first have was Columbus
    Ekto was a fucking beast for them in the back and stripped our fwds 1 on 1 countless times.
    De-ro without guevara, spent too muchtime cleaning up messes and was made to look average (which he is not) was forced to shoot from long range (and almost out of the stadium)

Ricketts played horribly, would not run to the corner or create a target, had a really off game. but, not Carvers fault. Cronin brings lots to the team, but not a left foot, and rickets willhave to stay onthe left. (shame we cant partner him with Marvel but. . Cronin will have to learn)

Penalty was a penalty, FACT wish it was a save.
    Frei made 2 GLORIOUS saves to give us the point MOTM in my opinion, esp. considering he played hurt after save #2 for about 15 mins.

Sirioux was also a monster, played confident, safe footy. just waht we need in the back. . a LEADER

Dichio still has the magic, not sure if it was GBS coming off, or him coming on
    but the lads seemed to be full of pepper and were not letting the ball through our midfield, still I wish there were more clear chances on net.

Fair result for the game as far as I see it.
    Wish we could have potted one so there would be no talk of the own goal but.. . .thanks Padula.

mssion accomplished: celebrate a goal in CCS.

ps. EAT IT
    NOTICE: Wager with STB: OVER 2 shots on goal in the First half wins a Pint at HT.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is some ridiculous mythology getting created about our conduct on Saturday and it's pissing me off. Archer's blog on BS is blaming Garber for not cracking down on us. Crazy stuff. Various one sided reports are circulating that make it sound like we rioted the entire time we were there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who cares what they say about us? When we play host to them we will be the better man and show them the respect that we would want to be had towards us. They will be expecting shit to start and we will just be at our BBQs and pay them no attention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill Archer is a fucking moron, I think everyone but KKKrew supporters know that