kelzag

Default Morgan Campbell's TFC Blog - Truly Bush League

Truly Bush League

A couple of weeks back we talked about ESPN's Pardon the Interruption, and co-host Mike Wilbon's assertion that the streamer tossing common at Toronto FC games is "bush league."
    In that post I argued that while TFC fans' streamers are annoying and maybe a little played out, they're an ultimately harmless expression of the fans' enthusiasm, and not among the top factors damaging soccer's credibility among mainstream sports fans stateside.
    Nineteen days after I wrote that true hooliganism would drag MLS into "Bush League" territory faster than streamers alone ever could, the fans at Crew Stadium in Columbus illustrated exactly what I meant.
    If you haven't already read the stories or seen the clips, understand that throughout last Saturday's home game against New England, Columbus fans showered the field not just with streamers, but with sausages (apparently it was $1 Bratwurst night), lit flares and, after Kheli Dube's game winner in the 89th minute, racial slurs.
    Listen closely to that youtube clip and a little past 22 seconds in you'll hear some Columbus heckler drop an N-bomb.
    Who knew Michael Richards was a Crew fan?
    Anyway, the league has already responded to the incident ... sort of.
    Here's all of what commissioner Don Garber had to say about it:
    "We are investigating reports of incidents from the May 24 match between the Columbus Crew and New England Revolution and will take appropriate action based on our findings."
    I'm not kidding when I say that's the entire statement. Enlightening, I know. They're not even investigating the incidents -- just the "reports" of them.
    Way to take a stand, guys.

READ MORE

Last edited by denime; 05-29-2008 at 06:13 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree with Morgan when he says - "...listen closely to..." UH, you don't need to listen closely - you hear it LOUD AND CLEAR!

Carts...
    "...Money wasn't tight, but it like, it wasn't right..."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This issue could potentially become an enormous emabarrassment for MLS. They better deal with it quickly and effectivelly to send a strong message. The longer they wait - the worse the perception will be.

If not, it will only have itself to blame for the fall out.

Once the media latches on - it's not going to go away until it's satisfied with the outcome.

I think that FIFA rules should apply here.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How soon until mainstream media outlets have to start citing what message board posts they get their info from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    How soon until mainstream media outlets have to start citing what message board posts they get their info from?
    Really though, it's becoming quite the embarassment for them in my opinion. You're a professional journalist trolling for info on the internet, so much for working the beat.

Anyway, this really needs to be put up for what it is, a small group of people who were stupid enough to make retarded comments and get caught for it. Main stream media much raking not needed.

It may be columubs but it's still the league we play in, we don't need the soccer haters out in force