Threaded View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default September Start For Major League Soccer?

With the 2011 MLS expansion race done, talks are being surfaced about 2012. Now if MLS expands to 20 teams, this would create a home and away structure bringing league games to 38, plus for some teams CONCACAF Champions League, Superliga, and U.S. Open Cup, which would could possible tack on another 7 games. Now we might think “WOW how is 45+ games going to fit in from March to October” the chances are my friends they won’t.

But in recent news, FIFA president Sepp Blatter has stated to the MLS Board that they need to change to a September to May schedule (in other words “like the rest of the world”) to comply with the FIFA friendly dates, and transfer dates. The MLS Board has realised what position they are in regarding to how players can be lost from teams due to players wanting to test the waters overseas, and thus the MLS has stated that they will change “e-v-e-n-t-u-a-l-l-y”.

Now, it is possible! And let me tell you why.

You may have heard from soccer blog’s that MLS weather wouldn’t comply with soccer. However, I say soccer is capable of being played from September to mid-November, then there would be the break, and starting back up in late-February, early-March and ending in late-May, early-June.

This would make the MLS compliant with 1) CONCACAF Champions League 2) League games getting intertwined with International Friendlies 3) Transfers

This is one thing that can help grow Soccer in North America, as for others........they will be address

"Football its a feeling that cant be explained but we spend our lives explaining it!"
    Last edited by Shway; 03-25-2009 at 02:13 PM.