Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    1. Important to get the name right
    2. We should be happy they are onboard and they should be happy we watch so they get ad revenue
    3. There is no reason they cannot call it by its accurate name
    4. Your posts on how you do not like this thread are irrelevant and I fail to see why you chose to post. Maybe I'll go delete the thread because YOU do not like it.

I will repost what I said.
    The lady who ran the halftime show said "FC" supporters. Why was she referring to the Montreal Impact FC fans while showing TFC fans?

Please ensure this does not happen again.

Love what you are doing thus far, but FC is unacceptable.

Did I tell them to stop covering? No. I pointed out an important error the media continuously makes and something I will continuously point out.

If you don't like it, don't reply or read my threads. I couldn't care less.
    I hate it when people ask others to stop posting in the thread if they don't like it. Thats just stupid. How else is someone supposed to voice their criticism? Can you imagine Bush telling the public to stop criticizing his foreign policies if they don't like it? That's just ridiculous.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I hate it when people ask others to stop posting in the thread if they don't like it. Thats just stupid. How else is someone supposed to voice their criticism? Can you imagine Bush telling the public to stop criticizing his foreign policies if they don't like it? That's just ridiculous.

Uhhhhh....... he does. Surely you've heard all the "its un-American to criticize the president" rhetoric? Unless youre being ironic, in which case, well played.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regardless of who is agreeing and posting where, these points still are valid.

Quote Originally Posted by J . View Post
    1. Important to get the name right
    2. We should be happy they are onboard and they should be happy we watch so they get ad revenue
    3. There is no reason they cannot call it by its accurate name
    4. Your posts on how you do not like this thread are irrelevant and I fail to see why you chose to post. Maybe I'll go delete the thread because YOU do not like it.
    Animals Eaten:
    pig, cow, lamb, moose, chicken, quail, kudu, ostrich, kangaroo, octopus, alligator, rabbit, shark, springbok, goat, bison, boar, caterpillars, turkey, fish, lobster, crab, oyster, prawn, antelope, camel, eel, squid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stretchthetruth View Post
    Uhhhhh....... he does. Surely you've heard all the "its un-American to criticize the president" rhetoric? Unless youre being ironic, in which case, well played.
    Nicely picked up . Usually I don't get involved in "Bush bashing" but this was too good not to pass up. So you guys at Homeland Security can call off the lynch mob now

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I get nobody likes repetition but at any time somebody new may be watching so...every time they get it wrong and nobody points it out nobody changes. It's also important to point out when they get it right.
    Anybody notice how many times that Barbara from CBC says footabll vs soccer? Try and get MLS (ESPN?)coverage to change "PK" talk ever again. Doubtful.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was rather disappointed with the quality of the broadcast...

from Nigel Reed calling the game solo, to the horrible capturing of the sound of the crowd (it sounded like CBC mic'd one supporter during Dichio 24, one supporter who sung Dichio 24 wrong, while you could hear other voices in the background it sounded like one person sung it), the sound of the stadium was down right horrible...

The camera work was shoddy as well, occasionally the camera couldn't move fast enough or far over enough and play happened outside the view of the camera

It was disappointing and a pain to watch, which reminded me of the disaster that was the Charleston Cup broadcasts

The overall product was no where near the standard of a normal TFC broadcast on CBC...

I hope the product is much improved to the high standard we've seen previously by the next game, especially when it's on the main network...
    Last edited by egoodwin; 05-29-2008 at 10:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James Oliphant View Post
    http://canadianpress.google.com/arti...EcLqsLc-JtZAfg

Game 2 = 2.5+ in the US and 1.87 in Canada.

And apologies...I read it wrong. It was the most-watched in six years. Not exactly "all-time". My mistake. Still, a vast improvement over last year.
    Almost as many who watch Coronation Street.
    Hockey's done....the sooner CBC realise it the better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Molinaro responds

Hey gang.

Just saw this thread now (been away from the computer for a few days), so I thought I would take the time to respond to some of the issues brought up here.

I understand that a lot of you don't like Brena Iriving and feel she shouldn't be doing soccer, but she is an exceptional broadcaster and I think to refer to her as a "useless c*nt" is, to be honest, crass and tasteless. You guys are better than that.

Second, it was stated here that Nigel was alone in the broadcast booth for the Montreal game. That's not true: Jason de Vos was there with Nigel doing the colour commentary.

Third, regarding the "shoddy camera work", we only had one camera there because during the NHL playoffs we tend to be stretched for resources. I think all things considering, the production of the show was first rate.

Fourth, I'm very disappointed over the use of "the disaster that was the Charleston Cup broadcasts". We put that together withouth the benefit of any add revenue and was done strictly for TFC fans who were suffering through a lack of media coverage leading up to the season. A lot of people at the time were complaing that no network had any pre-season coverage and we went out of out way to give TFC fans a glimpse at the team.

Fifth, again I understand you guys get frustrated some times with certain things (no HD, what you think is shoddy camera work, etc) but I have to say that any MLS team would die for the Network and regional coverage (and online coverage with live streams) that CBC Sports provides. A lot of teams don't get the same level of coverage.

Sorry to rant, but like you, i get frustrated sometimes.

Cheers,

John Molinaro
    reporter, CBCSports.ca
    Last edited by johnmolinaro; 06-05-2008 at 12:12 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love it when we hear back from those who are in the "industry". Johnmolinaro, MLS in Toronto, BMO Field, etc.

Hats off to you John for coming into the hornets nest. I, personally, appreciate your reply!

And before any of you start giving me the fire - try walking in the other man's shoes.
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ as far as the name calling goes, you have remember that this is the internet, and that happens a lot on the internet, so tell Brenda not to take it too personally

get us some HD now that hockey is done and you'll have alot more happy viewers with less to complain about

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does the text get smaller as your post goes on?

You should know though that alot of posters on here are completely annonymous and will say whatever filthy garbage comes off the top of their heads. You really shouldnt expect more from the board. Expect more of certain posters, but not the forum as a whole. Please dont take the most disrespectful posters to be indicative of your overall viewing audience.

Especially the people who are going to call Brenda Irving a useless cunt. You can be sure those people represent a bitter minority who are going to complain about anything they can think of.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOMIN8R View Post
    I love it when we hear back from those who are in the "industry". Johnmolinaro, MLS in Toronto, BMO Field, etc.

Hats off to you John for coming into the hornets nest. I, personally, appreciate your reply!

And before any of you start giving me the fire - try walking in the other man's shoes.

Bingo...music to my ears when they fire back and tell people exactly how good they have it.

Good job John...I appreciate it as well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good on ya John, people all to often look a gift horse in the mouth.
    CBC does a relatively good job of coverage (id only change the fact that they play games on Bold) and sometimes people look for something to complain about. Fact of the matter is that Canada is not a soccer country (ideally that will change) and as a result we are not set up to televise soccer in the same manner they might be able to do elsewhere, people need to get over the fact and take what they can get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    Hey gang.

Just saw this thread now (been away from the computer for a few days), so I thought I would take the time to respond to some of the issues brought up here.

I understand that a lot of you don't like Brena Iriving and feel she shouldn't be doing soccer, but she is an exceptional broadcaster and I think to refer to her as a "useless c*nt" is, to be honest, crass and tasteless. You guys are better than that.

Second, it was stated here that Nigel was alone in the broadcast booth for the Montreal game. That's not true: Jason de Vos was there with Nigel doing the colour commentary.

Third, regarding the "shoddy camera work", we only had one camera there because during the NHL playoffs we tend to be stretched for resources. I think all things considering, the production of the show was first rate.

Fourth, I'm very disappointed over the use of "the disaster that was the Charleston Cup broadcasts". We put that together withouth the benefit of any add revenue and was done strictly for TFC fans who were suffering through a lack of media coverage leading up to the season. A lot of people at the time were complaing that no network had any pre-season coverage and we went out of out way to give TFC fans a glimpse at the team.

Fifth, again I understand you guys get frustrated some times with certain things (no HD, what you think is shoddy camera work, etc) but I have to say that any MLS team would die for the Network and regional coverage (and online coverage with live streams) that CBC Sports provides. A lot of teams don't get the same level of coverage.

Cheers,

John Molinaro
    reporter, CBCSports.ca
    John has some very good points here. Frankly, I don't care when message boards are used to merely release frustration, it's fine, it's healthy, whatever. The problem is, when you have a message board with certain people reading it (John, Paul, Marc, etc) you have to be a little more careful to keep your criticism constructive. I'm sure they love the ability to have an ear to the voice of the people, but everyone has to remember that they are real people too (as are those you're calling "useless c**ts). Offering suggestions, asking questions, is one thing, verbal (text?) abuse is quite another.

Personally, I think this thread started out fine. It was addressed to John, and put (relatively) nicely. We would rather people get the acronym correct. Fine, good feedback, maybe it can be passed on. The problem arose when people decided to use this thread as their own personal sounding board to spout (mostly misguided, and predominantly crass) diatribes over what THEY want. Guess what, it's understood that you would rather watch soccer than hockey, but you are not in the majority! CBC has to show pander to the majority, it's how the world works, live with it.

Essentially, tone it the fuck down guys. What do you honestly hope to accomplish by making things personal, other than having LESS of a voice in the way things are done? Maybe it's time for all people of authority (Paul seems to have already done this) to stop posting on the boards, and just have contact with all of the heads of the groups (be it in person or via email). I'm not saying I don't appreciate your contibution John, but I don't think the masses can handle it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ilikemusic View Post
    Why does the text get smaller as your post goes on?
    He was whipering at the end

My guess - Because he wrote it in another WP S/W then cut and pasted it into the forum. He had a couple of versions/entries/edits before pasting it. Each version had a diferent originating font/pt size.

I know from experience!
    "Failure simply isn't an option at this stage. TFC pushed its chips to the middle of the table when it splurged on Bradley and Defoe and reinforced its bet by making savvy acquisitions elsewhere. This collection of players is capable of delivering on the promises made during the close season. There are no more excuses available for TFC. Only success will continue the process of atoning for the past and establishing a higher standard for the future." FOX Sports

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am glad that CBC has continued to carry TFC this year, but am hoping that the game coverage improves. You NEVER get a proper view off an offside call. The cameraman is never in line with the play. Basically to me the camermen seem to be in the wrong position

I don't know what it is and I know that in England they are seasoned pros and I am sure the technical staff know the game, but there is never enough time for a replay or if there is a replay, it is during play.

I guess with more experience it will improve, but that is my #1 complaint is the actual game coverage.

I might be wrong, but I am assuming that the technical staff and camerman for the most part do not know the game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John's great for responding, but no where in his response did he say that Brenda is gonna get a memo regarding the name of our team. Hopefully that will be the case. Or maybe she already knows, but just slipped up.

I think CBC has been great for actually supporting Toronto FC, which is at least 90minutes of broadcast time they could use for something that might get more ratings in our country.

That said, if that support is to be worth anything, I think they have to do the work to get it right. People do make mistakes now and then, of course, but the more people who say 'FC' (mistakenly or not) means the harder it will be to stamp out that misconception.

In related news, I think Greg Lalas in Extra Time remarked about the Germans bombing Pearl Harbour? THERE'S something to write in about.
    Last edited by Stencils; 06-05-2008 at 12:37 PM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first time I've seen this thread...CBC does do a lot for TFC - while things could improve - they do, do a lot considering ratings are small.. and I appreciate it..

As for:

Quote Originally Posted by The Pope View Post
    ^^ as far as the name calling goes, you have remember that this is the internet, and that happens a lot on the internet, so tell Brenda not to take it too personally
    That's like saying in the 1960s that the phone is just the phone so it doesn't matter if you insult people through it...

there's no need for it..particularly with that kind of insult...

I do wish they all would get the name of our team right.
    Fail to prepare, prepare to fail.
    Roy Keane

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC_Longsleeve View Post

In related news, I think Greg Lalas in Extra Time remarked about the Germans bombing Pearl Harbour? THERE'S something to write in about.
    Animal House. Watch it. Seriously. But yeah, go ahead and write to them, of course, you'll look like an idiot, but whatever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by God Save The Queen View Post
    Bingo...music to my ears when they fire back and tell people exactly how good they have it.

Good job John...I appreciate it as well.
    You're welcome. It's my pleasure to respond, and I apologize if I made it sound like I was calling all of you out on the c*unt remark. I realize it was a small minority and not representative of the entire board.

John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Animal House. Watch it. Seriously. But yeah, go ahead and write to them, of course, you'll look like an idiot, but whatever.
    Haven't seen it actually, but google to the rescue. I guess I'm so used to Lalas saying ridiculous things that a clever quote never figured.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John.........The information that you have posted since the Charleston games has been informative & usually well recieved.

If it was not for CBC we would not have seen either the Montreal game or any of the Charleston games & it was great just see TFC.

Calling someone a c**t for using the wrong terminolgy is just pure ignorance, no matter how it is delivered & thankfully there is just a tiny minority that stoop to this kind of posting.
    RPB Road Warrior. DC United 9/29/07, Columbus Chaos 3/25/08, DC Rumble 5/24/08, Montreal Madness 5/27/08, Chicago 7/12/08, Kansas City Opener 3/21/09, Columbus Smoke 3/28/09, Boston Bus Bounce 8/1/09, Montreal 1000 4/7/12 Montreal 3200 3/16/2013 Columbus Bus Breakdown 3/21/15, Montreal Playoffs 10/29/15, Montreal Opener 04/23/16, Montreal East Final 11/22/16, Chicago 08/19/17, NY Semi-Final 10/30/17, Columbus East Final 11/21/17, Montreal "Dichio Lives" 3/17/18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot to check on this thread.
    Overall I think CBC has done well w/ although I don't think Brenda should be up in the booth. I'd swap her with the pitch side guy (Peacock or something like that?).
    Besides the HD telecast, my only complaint is about the sound at the Impact match. You could barely hear the crowd sadly

Keep it up guys.

Lastly- PLEASE tell me if/when TFC atleast makes the playoffs you'll then broadcast in HD? Atleast give us that!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey gang.

Cheers,

John Molinaro
    reporter, CBCSports.ca
    Nice post John. Don't disagree with a word you said. I support CBC and I was as shocked as you are to hear that Charleston broadcasting was a disaster. All I personally remember is how gratefull I was that I could watch the boys play. My only frustration is HD, and now that hockey has come to and end that should fix my problem

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
    Nice post John. Don't disagree with a word you said. I support CBC and I was as shocked as you are to hear that Charleston broadcasting was a disaster. All I personally remember is how gratefull I was that I could watch the boys play. My only frustration is HD, and now that hockey has come to and end that should fix my problem

Why anybody expected more than bare minimum coverage for the Charleston Cup games is beyond me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey gang.

Cheers,

John Molinaro
    reporter, CBCSports.ca
    John, while I understand that you are frustrated, some of what you say here seems petty and hollow.

I do agree that nobody should be calling Brenda Irving a c*nt. That was overboard, for sure. I think, though, that you're missing the point of the post on that one. She, like other broadcasters, drive some of us nuts by calling TFC "FC". Technically, you could also call the Argos "FC" if you wanted, but you don't, because it's stupid.

The part about the Impact game is the hollow part. While you may be "stretched for resources" during the playoffs, how many playoff series were actually being covered at that time? One, the finals. I find it hard to believe that ALL of CBC's cameras were being used on 1 game. Oh, and there wasn't even a game that night. So really, all things considering, the production wasn't first rate.

To be honest, I was just happy that CBC covered the game and are supporting TFC as they are. But for someone who works for the network to come on a message board (of which there are many on the internet) and "defend the company" smacks of desperation.

olegunnar

Whens the player getting fixed?
    It's funny the LAG game from May 31st doesn't work but last night's hockey game does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
    John, while I understand that you are frustrated, some of what you say here seems petty and hollow.

I do agree that nobody should be calling Brenda Irving a c*nt. That was overboard, for sure. I think, though, that you're missing the point of the post on that one. She, like other broadcasters, drive some of us nuts by calling TFC "FC". Technically, you could also call the Argos "FC" if you wanted, but you don't, because it's stupid.

The part about the Impact game is the hollow part. While you may be "stretched for resources" during the playoffs, how many playoff series were actually being covered at that time? One, the finals. I find it hard to believe that ALL of CBC's cameras were being used on 1 game. Oh, and there wasn't even a game that night. So really, all things considering, the production wasn't first rate.

To be honest, I was just happy that CBC covered the game and are supporting TFC as they are. But for someone who works for the network to come on a message board (of which there are many on the internet) and "defend the company" smacks of desperation.
    Well, considering the thread was specifically addressed to me because people here know I frequently visit this board and often answer any questions they have about CBC's coverage, I'm not sure how you can say my actions 'smack of desperation".

True there was no NHL game that night, but a lot of trucks, cameras, production equipment etc were either in Pittsburgh or Detroit (can't remember which) getting ready for the game. You also have to remember that the CBC is not like TSN and Sportsnet in that we're not an all-sports network and we don't have the same resources as they do.

As for this whole TFC vs FC thing - I'm not even going to respond because I've always felt the entire debate was stupid. I've never used the term TFC because I think it sounds stupid (even if that's what MLSE wants us in the media to use). I also think FC is stupid.

I say this with a great deal of respect for you guys, but you have to get over this entire FC vs. TFC thing. Just enjoy the soccer and enjoy the fact that Toronto FC is being broadcast.

John

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey gang.

Cheers,

John Molinaro
    reporter, CBCSports.ca
    Where's the PWNED smiley...?!

Excellent Response John!
    @FluSH_RPB / IG: @Flush.rpb
    The Legendary
    RED PATCH BOYS

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers John. I think it's a case of whining for the point of whining. I think we can all say collectively we're grateful to have a decent broadcast team from CBC. The technical aspects will get better with time. I think we should all realize the priorities of the CBC, Hockey is in more of a demand until that changes the limited resources the CBC has will be with it.