View Poll Results: If seating expansion occurs... will we get a supporter/controlled section?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... They will finanlly get it

82 22.10%
  • No.... They will screw this up royally

213 57.41%
  • hmmm... not sure? how much money will they make from this?

76 20.49%
Page 68 of 163 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,040 of 4872
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    What do our Russian friends do?
    Take a winter break? Russian Premier League breaks for two months from early December to early February

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lanarkist View Post
    Take a winter break? Russian Premier League breaks for two months from early December to early February
    Ok. But they are still playing in Feb with our weather or worse. Do they have anything for that?
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lanarkist View Post
    Ekstraklasa (Polish prem. league) in Poland does the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    QUESTION FOR THE GROUP - Is there a solution out there for keeping the players warm during cold spells? Some sort of heating system maybe from the ground up?

Since the renovations are happening whether we like it or not, perhaps the designer should consider getting rid of the dug outs and move the players to heated "car seats" in the stands on the west side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimiv View Post
    Since the renovations are happening whether we like it or not, perhaps the designer should consider getting rid of the dug outs and move the players to heated "car seats" in the stands on the west side.
    That's along the lines of what I was envisioning. That's about the only thing you really can do is to keep the players on the bench warm. I would guess that some stadiums may have some kind of heating systems built into their roof similar to what you might have seen at hockey arenas around Canada, essentially hanging space heaters, but that is just a guess. That would certainly help heat up the air in general that would circulate within a stadium that is partially enclosed by a roof.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe colder countries in Europe like Sweden and Finland and Norway season starts around end of March and runs to beginning of September. Most countries in Europe don't have quite the same unpredictable weather however. Toronto can go from 0 to -20 in 24 hours. Where as say London, UK they get weather more like +5 to -3. Its rare to get any colder then that. Coldest day in history in London, UK is -10. This is the same for many other countries like England, Scotland, Italy, France and so on, where weather can get cold but not to the degree that we get in Toronto.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was walking around Liberty Village today and I couldn't help but hope that when this renovation is complete, there are heaters attached to the roofs because my god does this area ever get cold and windy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I just say the I am amused that the go-to-thread on this topic is actually a question that has little to do with BMO Expansion, and the answers in the poll don't really even make any sense.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While not obvious, you could totally tell where there had been lines on the field in the Seattle game. Though I would classify that as an irritant. The dealbreaker would be that if a season or two after the move, they say the hybrid surface isnt working, and switch back to turf. Or if after the renovations seats are pushed further away from the field, and worst of all if some in the upper rows of the east side are moved to a new upper deck. I realize building a new CFL stadium for say 15 dates a year is impractical. I like the Argos, I think their fans deserve a better experience, but they are really coming across as being a helpless charity case. All of the discussions and media has been about accomodating them, and nothing has been about why Torontonians in general should support the move.
    It isn't like Braley has no money. When you think of it, the situation reeks of incompetence and unprofessionalism. Other than that Pinball quote that came out, has anyone from the Argos said anything?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To accommodate the larger CFL field this will probably be the case. Either that or they will have little mini temp stands with the car seats that they can wheel out for TFC games then move away for Argo games.
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    ... Other than that Pinball quote that came out, has anyone from the Argos said anything?
    "Welcome Diego Forlan!" comes to mind.

If they have not told to shut up and say nothing I would be very surprised.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    While not obvious, you could totally tell where there had been lines on the field in the Seattle game. Though I would classify that as an irritant. The dealbreaker would be that if a season or two after the move, they say the hybrid surface isnt working, and switch back to turf. Or if after the renovations seats are pushed further away from the field, and worst of all if some in the upper rows of the east side are moved to a new upper deck. I realize building a new CFL stadium for say 15 dates a year is impractical. I like the Argos, I think their fans deserve a better experience, but they are really coming across as being a helpless charity case. All of the discussions and media has been about accomodating them, and nothing has been about why Torontonians in general should support the move.
    It isn't like Braley has no money. When you think of it, the situation reeks of incompetence and unprofessionalism. Other than that Pinball quote that came out, has anyone from the Argos said anything?
    Too late to break the deal by then, though, isn't it?

So you have to decide for yourself, today, what you think is likely.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is not the stadium they should be building. It will be obsolete / disappointing almost as fast as the original. We should stop with the incrementalism and actually build something that won't be crap in a short period of time.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still don't understand why this is such a big deal.

I am pretty 'meh' but will support my friends.

Why is it a problem again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Abou Sky View Post
    I still don't understand why this is such a big deal.

I am pretty 'meh' but will support my friends.

Why is it a problem again?
    LOUD NOISES

(because after years of our sports teams being run by Harold Ballard, foreign beer companies and the OTPP, people still haven't gotten used to having local owners whose interest doesn't come from running things as cheaply as possible while making tickets as costly as possible but from making sure as many people watch/read about their teams on TV, the internet and in print as possible)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is about what we bring to the stadium each and every game. Changes are reality of life in general and this is no different. BMO Field is going to be enhanced and renovated, thus it could be somewhat different that what we are used to. After this off-season I am really excited for the year and beyond, things are really changing and I think for the most part in a good way.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Lieweke is a smart guy. Just got this email from TFC:

Dear Adrian,
    After an incredible off-season, and a thrilling 2-1 victory to open the season in Seattle, the Toronto FC home opener is just days away and we're looking forward to the beginning of an exciting season at BMO Field.
    Over the past few months, there has been much discussion about plans to renovate BMO Field to ensure that our team and our fans have one of the best stadium experiences in Major League Soccer. When we met at the end of last season, I told you that it was important to us that you had the opportunity to participate in this discussion and I would like to invite you to a BMO Field Q&A session with Bob Hunter and myself on Saturday prior to our home opener.
    This session will give us the opportunity to walk you through the plans for a new and improved BMO Field and for you to ask questions.
    When: Saturday, March 22 - 12:30 PM - 1:30 PM
    Where: Queen Elizabeth Theatre, 190 Princes' Blvd (map)
    RSVP to event. Please RSVP by 11:59 PM on Tuesday, March 18th.
    As you saw from us this off-season, our goal is to field one of the top teams in Major League Soccer, and as part of that vision, we want them playing in front of you in one of the league's best stadiums. On top of that, this facility will be designed in a way to attract top sporting events helping ensure Toronto's place as one of the top sports and entertainment markets in the world.
    We look forward to sharing our plans with you on Saturday before cheering TFC on to victory later that afternoon.
    Yours truly,
    Tim

Hosting a Q&A about the reno's BEFORE the match on saturday when the majority of those opposed will probably not be there.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CommradePolski View Post
    That Lieweke is a smart guy. Just got this email from TFC:

Hosting a Q&A about the reno's BEFORE the match on saturday when the majority of those opposed will probably not be there.
    [/FONT]
    [/LEFT]
    Why would we not be there, if we choose we could go and then head up to Joe's after. It is being held within an earshot of everywhere we will be that day.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Can I just say the I am amused that the go-to-thread on this topic is actually a question that has little to do with BMO Expansion, and the answers in the poll don't really even make any sense.
    Its funny b/c this thread was started when my friend Scott (C-Town) caved to my pestering to make some pics of what an expanded BMO would look like and here we are. Like lots of older long standing threads its interesting to read some posts in hindsight etc.

I can't remember who added the poll if it was him or a MOD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You mean the dugouts that they ripped up concrete to install and rarely use? All that just to sit on 'amateur hour' chairs and benches on the touch line. I laugh at that setup nearly every match.

Makes it tricky with all the other people (staff/media/sideline seats) crawling around but here's hoping they make an improvement.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    What do our Russian friends do?
    attack neighboring countries ...
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Haddy View Post
    You mean the dugouts that they ripped up concrete to install and rarely use? All that just to sit on 'amateur hour' chairs and benches on the touch line. I laugh at that setup nearly every match.

Makes it tricky with all the other people (staff/media/sideline seats) crawling around but here's hoping they make an improvement.
    Yup, the ones that become swimming pools during a downpour, possibly the worst addition ever made to BMO.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    Its funny b/c this thread was started when my friend Scott (C-Town) caved to my pestering to make some pics of what an expanded BMO would look like and here we are. Like lots of older long standing threads its interesting to read some posts in hindsight etc.

I can't remember who added the poll if it was him or a MOD.
    It was him, I don't think we can fundamentally change a thread like this. As well the OP would object and there would be a discussion amongst the mods for it. Never been done before.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah can someone PLEASE tell me why they made those dugouts but never use them??? I'm always so confused why they don't use them , is there a reason??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So after a half conversation with a friend, I know people like Pookie think no public money should be involved however

What if the request of 30 million from Government/outside sources is MLSE saying, "hey you like to remind us we don't own the stadium, and you are the ones that want the Argos to play there, which without major renovations can't happen anyway. We are offering to do major upgrades so that it is a better venue for both, and allows us to do the winter classic. However it is cheaper and easier if we don't have to totally tear down the south stands, as well as the "stage" under the north stands and easier still if we don't need to put in a new very expensive turf. As such if you want to make it a condition of us putting up 90-120 million to upgrade The National Soccer Stadium that Canadian Football can be played there as well, a sport we own no teams for, then you or the Argos need to pony up 30 Million for the retractable seats and extra turf."

In this Situation that is basically what is happening. MLSE seems to be saying we can do this totally out of pocket ,put in permanent seats, no need for a new pitch and leave it Soccer Specific all with no fuss and no muss, but you want to make giving the Argos a home a condition, 10 years after they turned down the chance to be part of the stadium. So pony up some cash, not our team, not our problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really wish we could start from scratch with the stadium....rebuild similar to NYRB arena.

feels a little like putting lipstick on a pig (which apparently is a weekly thing for Columbus fans)
    Last edited by C.Ronaldo; 03-18-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uhhh... Am I missing something? I don't recall reading how much the Argos are paying.... or are they homeless AND broke?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Ronaldo View Post
    Really wish we could start from scratch with the stadium....rebuild similar to NYRB arena.

feels a little like putting lipstick on a pig (which apparently is a weekly think for Columbus fans)
    I agree. I'm open to this concept, as shitty as it is, of sharing with the Argos if it truly becomes a great soccer stadium. From the drawings we've seen, I'm skeptical at this point. At any rate, people who can go on Saturday should go. I don't know if a consistent message to them is possible given the divergence of views here. But if it is at all possible to agree on four or five key points everyone can drive home during the Q and A, that would be a great use of this thread.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nick.mastro View Post
    Yeah can someone PLEASE tell me why they made those dugouts but never use them??? I'm always so confused why they don't use them , is there a reason??
    They made the dugouts when the grass was installed. Previous to that if they put the bench glass covers on people in the expensive seats directly behind complained that the view was blocked. They thought doing the dug out would solve the issue, and it did but the veiw is total shit from there. So the players and coaches just pull the chairs out and sit LOL.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    So after a half conversation with a friend, I know people like Pookie think no public money should be involved however

What if the request of 30 million from Government/outside sources is MLSE saying, "hey you like to remind us we don't own the stadium, and you are the ones that want the Argos to play there, which without major renovations can't happen anyway. We are offering to do major upgrades so that it is a better venue for both, and allows us to do the winter classic. However it is cheaper and easier if we don't have to totally tear down the south stands, as well as the "stage" under the north stands and easier still if we don't need to put in a new very expensive turf. As such if you want to make it a condition of us putting up 90-120 million to upgrade The National Soccer Stadium that Canadian Football can be played there as well, a sport we own no teams for, then you or the Argos need to pony up 30 Million for the retractable seats and extra turf."

In this Situation that is basically what is happening. MLSE seems to be saying we can do this totally out of pocket ,put in permanent seats, no need for a new pitch and leave it Soccer Specific all with no fuss and no muss, but you want to make giving the Argos a home a condition, 10 years after they turned down the chance to be part of the stadium. So pony up some cash, not our team, not our problem.
    They will own the Argos in short order. This is left pocket-right pocket type of stuff.