View Poll Results: If seating expansion occurs... will we get a supporter/controlled section?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... They will finanlly get it

82 22.10%
  • No.... They will screw this up royally

213 57.41%
  • hmmm... not sure? how much money will they make from this?

76 20.49%
Page 53 of 163 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 4872
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billyfly View Post
    Seems residents aren't too cool with anticipated traffic.
    This was the biggest issue that kept being brought up with residents and local businesses. And it's justified IMO

Imagine 40K for a special event, plus a large show like the home show - say another 10K, plus a Marlies game of 8K Plus another 10K for a concert at Ontario place.

the transportation system in that area won't be able to handle it.

Some ideas mentioned was that the TTC run express shuttle buses from outlying areas (Scarborough, Etobicoke etc) - places where people would want to drive from. Incentives from GO to encourage people to take that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    It is actually 10 guaranteed with 9 regular season and one pre-season.
    correct. I think the guy who mentioned it was going off the top of his head what he could remember.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    correct. I think the guy who mentioned it was going off the top of his head what he could remember.
    Now the Argos pre-season game could remain at Varsity where it has been for the past two seasons if needed be.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Now the Argos pre-season game could remain at Varsity where it has been for the past two seasons if needed be.
    That option was mentioned. To have the pre-season game(s) in another part of the city to help promote the team.

BTW - no one from the Argos was there.
    There was 1 pro-Argos city counsellor there. He spoke about Argos but not on their behalf. Sounds like he knows the owner pretty well as well as the CFL commissioner.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 03-06-2014 at 12:02 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So more people (supposedly)... less parking... Gardiner construction... and TTC options from the east and west but nothing from the north... Sounds fun.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    So more people (supposedly)... less parking... Gardiner construction... and TTC options from the east and west but nothing from the north... Sounds fun.
    Man... broken telephone happens even on the same page of a thread
    RE: TTC

Some ideas mentioned was that the TTC run express shuttle buses from outlying areas (Scarborough, Etobicoke etc) - places where people would want to drive from. Incentives from GO to encourage people to take that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many of us appreciate the information you have provided. Thank you.

There are obviously logistical issues that are still a work in progress, but overall, I think it will be a positive development for supporters once all the issues are sorted out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agreed ^

from what im seeing right now.
    "Give us a roof!!!"

"This will never work what'll happen to our grass, i don't like it."
    Last edited by Newell; 03-06-2014 at 12:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

was there tonight as well; interesting concept, but that is all it is; just an idea; there isn't any official drawings or anything like that. The first thing they have to do is submit a site application plan; bob hunter said this would be done in the next month or two;

the site application plan has to address all the needs/concerns of the council; things such as transportation and parking; there was a long list

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was the biggest issue that kept being brought up with residents and local businesses. And it's justified IMO

Imagine 40K for a special event, plus a large show like the home show - say another 10K, plus a Marlies game of 8K Plus another 10K for a concert at Ontario place.

Wouldn't the city have some sway over the scheduling of other events like a Home Show? They issue permits and the CNE doesn't operate in isolation from City Hall. An outdoor NHL game would only happen once a year likely, so the city alleviates those anticipated parking-transit problems by ensuring there's no major conflicting show or game scheduled for that weekend.

MLSE run the Marlies, so they'd have control of game scheduling and avoid bad conflicts, too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is Phase 2 - Add roof to all sections

Do you see the two blue blocks that say Temporary Seating - Those are similar to seats you see at the indy. They are built up for special occasions and bring the stadium seating total to 40,000

They won't be there for regular "everyday" use
    Those two blue blocks appear to be the entirety of the north and south stands.

So to be clear, you were there, and you're confirming that the plan is that there actually will not be a north or south stand for most games?
    Last edited by ensco; 03-06-2014 at 06:44 AM.
    "There are some people who might have better technique than me, and some may be fitter than me, but the main thing is tactics. With most players, tactics are missing. You can divide tactics into insight, trust, and daring." - Johan Cruyff

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just going to do a quick map check and yep, it is confirmed that Scarborough and Etobicoke are not North of the city,

Someone from Aurora or other parts that would use the 400 to get to the top end of Toronto are going to do what? There isn't any convient direct GO service on weekends. Do they drive to Scarborough? Or Yorkdale then take the subway to Union then another connection to The Ex? Same for the 404 crowd.

Certainly not impossible to get to the game but certainly isn't a quick little adventure either. Many northern folks rely on driving as the hour plus it takes is still more time friendly than using non direct public transit.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just going to do a quick map check and yep, it is confirmed that Scarborough and Etobicoke are not North of the city,

Someone from Aurora or other parts that would use the 400 to get to the top end of Toronto are going to do what? There isn't any convient direct GO service on weekends. Do they drive to Scarborough? Or Yorkdale then take the subway to Union then another connection to The Ex? Same for the 404 crowd.

Certainly not impossible to get to the game but certainly isn't a quick little adventure either. Many northern folks rely on driving as the hour plus it takes is still more time friendly than using non direct public transit.
    I guess I wasn't clear when I put Etc in my post.

The idea..and it was just an idea...could be to propose to the TTC to run shuttle services from outlying areas of the city - North, East and West.

Nothing has been set in stone. They can't expect that no one will drive to the game, however the more people they get to take transit, the easier it will be for those who choose to drive.

I live in the city and it takes me 10-15 minutes to drive to the stadium - however if I take public transit it could take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and half. They need to correct that with smarter solutions.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 03-06-2014 at 07:44 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Those two blue blocks appear to be the entirety of the north and south stands.

So to be clear, you were there, and you're confirming that the plan is that there actually will not be a north or south stand for most games?

incorrect, Those two blue blocks are additional seats that would be brought in to expand the stadium to 40K seats for special occasion events.

There will be a North and South stand for all games.

See this configuration to see what I'm talking about:

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Last edited by Fort York Redcoat; 03-06-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

incorrect, Those two blue blocks are additional seats that would be brought in to expand the stadium to 40K seats for special occasion events.

There will be a North and South stand for all games.

See this configuration to see what I'm talking about:

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    the drawings clearly show a roof covering the south end. If big events called for it stands would be put up behind the south and north seats. It's not that hard to see if you look at it.

Thanks for your work Rav.
    Last edited by Red4ever; 03-06-2014 at 08:07 AM.

Registered
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Agreed jab. There need to be significant improvements in current TTC service options for public transit to be a consideration for a number of us.

If that doesn't improve and even more limited parking is the only option, then I don't think you'll see the stadium as consistently "full" as they expect.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    The stadium wouldn't necessarily have to be razed and rebuilt to get something like Red Bull Arena. Many of the fancy curvacious stadia we see have an interior structure and an exterior shell (the survy nice parts). Just look at the new TD Place over in Ottawa (bad example because it was completely rebuilt but the point is that the exterior doesn't have to carry any load).

2 things, This isn't a roof at all, more of a pretty look to please the the visitors on the canal. It may provide some shading to the upper deck of the south side.
    It's also going to be supported on the top of the grandstands.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just curious, how often is a concert scheduled the same day as a TFC game or Marlies game? I see no conflicts this year.
    These types of things are often pre-planned too. In Ottawa, there will no 67's games when a RedBlacks/Fury game is going on, and if want to talk about traffic nightmare, less than 1000 spaces available at the stadium (I actually think it's around 500) with choke points being bank street @ canal south and canal east.
    They do have the benefit of 2 major transit ways being within 2 KM. IMO they should actually make one lane on Bank a bus only lane on event nights.

In addition, I've always been completely shocked TFC/Argos and other teams don't partner with TTC or GO to get you to the stadium. In other cities, your ticket to the game acts as your bus/transit ticket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also - one one stand at TD Place was completely rebuilt - the other had mofifications done to it - the roof mainly as it sits on top of a hockey arena

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan1984 View Post
    All I want to see is the example of a canadian or american football team that shares there ground with a soccer team and plays on grass that holds up for both for a entire season. They keep saying it can work with no example of it?
    Agreed. Houston and others have spouted it to disparaging results.

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    There's also no examples of it not working
    Last years playoffs in Houston. That's the one that's closest to the hybrid miracle turf that's up for discussion.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Agreed jab. There need to be significant improvements in current TTC service options for public transit to be a consideration for a number of us.

If that doesn't improve and even more limited parking is the only option, then I don't think you'll see the stadium as consistently "full" as they expect.
    I think GO needs to step it up as well.
    I would take the GO in a heart beat if I didn't have to leave 10 minutes before the match ends or have to wait 30 minutes for a train after the match.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Just curious, how often is a concert scheduled the same day as a TFC game or Marlies game? I see no conflicts this year.
    What are you looking at to see conflicts?

Just last year there was a concert while a TFC match was on. It happens. Not every game but it happens. They really need to improve infrastructure. It doesn't affect me personally but the GO times alone have been blamed for difference in attendance.

Stadiums in the middle of nowhere are great for gauging actually interest in a sports team. Here's hoping the Argos can find one someday. Those fans will travel outside the city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fort York Redcoat View Post
    Agreed. Houston and others have spouted it to disparaging results.

Last years playoffs in Houston. That's the one that's closest to the hybrid miracle turf that's up for discussion.
    Houston isn't hybrid turf. It's just grass.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Houston isn't hybrid turf. It's just grass.
    Thank you. Thrashed grass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    So help me God if the seats are not red in a renovated BMO Field.
    One of my first thoughts as well..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. Thrashed grass.
    And Hybrid isn't the same thing. So it's not exactly logical to extrapolate that is what's going to happen at BMO when it's a different set of circumstances.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakTFC View Post
    So help me God if the seats are not red in a renovated BMO Field.
    I would bet on Grey. Not support it , but I'd just bet on it.

RPB Member
    Past-President

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    These types of things are often pre-planned too. In Ottawa, there will no 67's games when a RedBlacks/Fury game is going on, and if want to talk about traffic nightmare, less than 1000 spaces available at the stadium (I actually think it's around 500) with choke points being bank street @ canal south and canal east.
    They do have the benefit of 2 major transit ways being within 2 KM. IMO they should actually make one lane on Bank a bus only lane on event nights.

In addition, I've always been completely shocked TFC/Argos and other teams don't partner with TTC or GO to get you to the stadium. In other cities, your ticket to the game acts as your bus/transit ticket.
    Every year it happens, lets look at this year - March 22nd. Marlies game and TFC game, pretty sure there will be a large show at the direct energy centre too (National home show is on along with Canada Blooms). Spring time has all the shows on plus the Marlies playing. Then there are the concerts that happen at Richo. So move into summer and the parking lot gets blocked off for the indy setup, once that is done you go into the ex setup. All the while there are concerts at the amphitheatre.

You are right, they don't often happen head to head, but it does happen a few times a season. That space offers a ton of challenge and they want to increase use, so that means more conflict and competition for usage. There needs to be a serious upgrade in the public transit infrastructure to accommodate all this and you know....get people who live there to work. The TTC only really seems to ramp up for the ex, but with streetcars you only need one issue to hold up the entire route.
    Last edited by Phil; 03-06-2014 at 08:58 AM.
    Road Trips: July 7 2007 Chicago, July 22nd 2007 Columbus, August 11 2007 NY, October 13 2007 LA, March 29 2008 Columbus, May 24th 2008 DC, May 26 2008 Montreal, June 28th 2008 NE, March 7-11-14 2009 Charleston, March 28 2009 Columbus, April 10 2010 New England, May 12 2010 Montreal, April 7 2012 Montreal, March 16 2013 Montreal , June 3 2014 Montreal, March 14 2015 Columbus

Twitter: @RPBPhil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But it's not a hybrid surface - it's natural turf - two completely different things

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    And Hybrid isn't the same thing. So it's not exactly logical to extrapolate that is what's going to happen at BMO when it's a different set of circumstances.
    What's exactly logical is going with what you know works. But hey, that doesn't get you a new stadium so...