View Poll Results: If seating expansion occurs... will we get a supporter/controlled section?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... They will finanlly get it

82 22.10%
  • No.... They will screw this up royally

213 57.41%
  • hmmm... not sure? how much money will they make from this?

76 20.49%
Page 51 of 163 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,530 of 4872
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    They have retractable seating at Stade De France since 1998. Lower tier retracts for an athletics track.
    Those are telescoping seats. Different category of difficulty.

Think about how rare those are. Then think about how much higher the hurdle is here.

This is so Toronto. We can't just build a stadium, we have to have a bleeding edge engineering experiment.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they scheduled Argos and TFC games AT LEAST 6 days apart, the hybrid grass could be repaired. What im curious to hear about is the magic eraser that they are planning on putting to use.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post

Think about how rare those are. Then think about how much higher the hurdle is here.

This is so Toronto. We can't just build a stadium, we have to have a bleeding edge engineering experiment.
    Lol.
    Just wait until you hear about the plans to have the south and north ends disappear into a magical compartment under ground which raises and lowers the seats with hydraulic lifts.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its all going to be about the grass.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was hoping for a way better design and look. Very disappointed based on drawings.
    Last edited by billyfly; 03-05-2014 at 10:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I agree. Just build something, top to bottom, and rip the entire existing set out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why. Can't. We. Be. Great. LAUL

Don't like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good to me, for now. Doesn't mean things can't go horribly wrong once they are actually underway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Tobias Vaughn ‏@TobiasVaughn 8m Did not hear a lot of love for Argos or CFL from either Leiweke or Hunter tonight. TL said it was city who wanted the Argos included. #tfc
    Would it be wrong to think that Ford had a hand in this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He doesn't have any power anymore - he's only one voice out of 44

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well given our municipal structure he kind of always was (no veto) but I guess thats not the point. Ahh im just afraid we might have taken one step forward and two-steps back with this whole thing (Argos).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love it. Can't wait for a roof to keep some sound in and hang banners.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Tobias Vaughn ‏@TobiasVaughn 8m Did not hear a lot of love for Argos or CFL from either Leiweke or Hunter tonight. TL said it was city who wanted the Argos included. #tfc
    I'm not suggesting that Leiweke is not telling the truth, but that's a very convenient thing to say - it's good for the city to show Argo fans they got them a stadium when no one else was stepping up and it's good for MLSE to look like it was pushed on them. Win-win.

It sounds like there were a lot of politicians in that room...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can they use telescoping seats in this situation? When the say retractable do they mean telescoping?

They are putting in retractable seating in the Olympic Stadium in London to accommodate West Ham, Rugby and Athletics.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the north and south roofs are high enough to clear the temporary stands that won't be there most of the time, I hope there is a wind break behind the concourse. If not, it's going to funnel all that wind into the stadium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It kind of looks like shit to me to be honest. Glad to have a roof all the way around but it doesn't look great. The drawings look pretty preliminary though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

London is telescoping as well

I'm assuming they mean this when it comes to retractable seating here

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Would it be wrong to think that Ford had a hand in this?
    If this was 2011-early 2013, he would have his hand in this for sure And I think, if anything, that process would involve more public money then what this proposal will do and a lot of fighting at council. And, probably, an even worse outcome for TFC supporters.

But, Ford's pretty much ignored now and burning bridges with council and staff every day.

I'm pretty sure that Mark Grimes and a few members of the Ex board are fans of the CFL if not Argo supporters. In the absence of a council member vehemently opposed to this move (as Miller probably would be), even one rather uncharismatic champion as Ex chair is probably enough to get the defacto mayor, Norm Kelly, to suggest to MLSE that the compromise on getting city support would be to take over the Argos and continue to operate them as a viable tax creating entertainment entity for the city, as against for Brampton or Markham.

This indicates to me that Kelly asked around and no city councillor was willing to put up their hand as being against this move and wanting to champion the status quo. I am also pretty sure MLSE went to Kelly and suggested a certain amount to the city. Before that, Kelly would have found out from his fellow councillors at what level they would support city money going into this. Then Kelly would have been able to tell MLSE what that figure is going to be. It is unlikely that MLSE got what it wanted in terms of city money - the language of TL on all this has been quiet of late. I think he didn't run over Kelly, like he probably could have with Ford.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-05-2014 at 09:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielHurl View Post
    London is telescoping as well

I'm assuming they mean this when it comes to retractable seating here

you get everybody jumping up and down on those and they will be loud

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking too. They'll have to make sure the seating is stainless steel or aluminum to guard against corrosion. With a proper maintenance plan, I don't see why this wouldn't work.

<edit: 5 retractable sections on each end, 20 rows high with 25 seats per section, would add 5000 seats>
    Last edited by Initial B; 03-05-2014 at 09:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At Sporting Park, the area where the Cauldron stand is retractable. That section is on a stage for concerts. You wouldn't know it unless you look underneath.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see something happening like they use at Stadium Australia - they use telescopic seating however there are "trenches" in the surface that allow the seating to come out onto the grass

http://youtu.be/4mbBJlFp6q0?t=1m10s

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Here's another clearer picture showing the outside. If THIS is actually what the whole stadium looks like I retract my previous comment, although I'd still prefer something fully enclosed.

It concerns me however that this is a small picture in a corner rather than a huge photo. Isn't THIS what they want to show people?

Look at the smaller mock-up in the corner!!

based on the photo on the right bottom , it seems old school and I like it.....how it ends up who knows . We all once thought skydome was the best . I remain reserved depending on the closeness of the pitch for viewing TFC, not changing . Giving that it seems we have to share with the Argos , It may be all that we can do . Of course the only reason we have to share is MLSE doesn't want to spend too much $$ . Criticism should be based on the fact that we have to have a concept that is shared and now get the most out of the design for us to enjoy TFC . The single sport stadium ideal has apparently run it's course.
    ALL HELL'S BROKEN LOOSEhttp://gfycat.com/SharpKindArrowana

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a bit concerned about this east stand renovation. I imagine they will want to add boxes, and build something similar to the west stand. If so, how many rows will be in the lower bowl?
    As an SSH I will be pretty upset if they tell me I am moving to the new upper deck.
    I also think those in the light blues north end have a lot to lose, as from what I have heard, the arguments for the premium prices were the seats were different, the view, etc. How will the redesign maintain that feel? If it is just a replica of the south end, I'd be demanding a similar price point.
    Finally, the drawings show no measurements. I still dont see how a CFL Field and sideline will wedge into that footprint. I think much more room is required, even with the retractable seats.
    This story is far from over.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those 2 renderings don't match...
    In the top view, it looks like the roof corners are overlapping, and in the digital view of the stadium they look separated by quite some distance.
    If they do it in the same way that the top view is shown, the people sitting at section 211 (what would be the upper deck of 111) will not be able to see the people in the south end.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I just got back from the meeting.

Here's what was said:

On the Structure
    -These are just preliminary ideas down on paper. Nothing has really been thought through.

- Sounds like a 2 phase project

- Phase 1 has the East side being built up with a roof, Build up North and South ends and make it retractable

- Phase 2 would add a roof to the rest of the sections in the stadium.

- The North and South stands will be retractable. How that will work exactly is unclear

- The North and South end would double in size - take what is there and just replicate it above and then put a roof on it.

- Roof will be 4 separate pieces

- Developer is saying roof would ideally be material based - they want it to be clear material to help with grass growth. I mentioned the mess in olympic Stadium in Montreal and BC Place with tearing of the roof - Developer acknowledged that it could happen.

- Stadium will have open areas between the stands and the roof to allow for air flow for grass growth

- Concourse will be reworked but will still be open air - except on the East side where there may be an opportunity to close parts of it off

- Essentially it will still be outdoor feeling we have now

- The design is ugly and it's dictated by budget. Developer would like to do something nice, but budgets are dictating the look

On the Surface
    - Desso Hybrid Grass System is the front runner for the grass: Basically Real grass with synthetic mixed in - looks like a 10/1 mix. So the roots of the grass end up growing around the synthetic strands - makes it stronger so it won't tear up.

- Sounds like if it were up to the Argos - they would go full synthetic. No real grass. But they are not in control...

- There needs to be a 5 day blackout period between a CFL game and an MLS game in order to have ideal football grass conditions (allows time for repair, line removal and grass growth)

- Conflicting reports on CFL line removal

- tim Bezbatchenko says he was told that the lines are water based - they get wash off and then vacuumed up. Logos on the pitch are digitally generated - so you would see it on TV, but not in the stadium

- someone else said the groundskeepers were still working on an ideal solution

- Current irrigation system would remain.

In stadium stuff
    - Removing the big screen and putting up one screen on the North/West corner and one screen on the South/East corner

- With a roof - they can now upgrade the sound system

On transit
    - Parking will be a shit show The city has not through this one through

- This is where Tim Leiweke stood up and said they are working with Metrolinx to come up with a solution to get more people taking transit. Sounds like they are trying to work out some sort of a fan deal.

- Get ready for a shit show

Scheduling
    - MLS is restrictive with how games are scheduled.
    - CFL is willing to do anything to accommodate this new setup to happen - Argos may get preferred scheduling to accommodate MLS/Grass growth needs
    Last edited by jabbronies; 03-05-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I just got back from the meeting.

Here's what was said:

On the Structure
    -These are just preliminary ideas down on paper. Nothing has really been thought through.

- Sounds like a 2 phase project

- Phase 1 has the East side being built up with a roof, Build up North and South ends and make it retractable

- Phase 2 would add a roof to the rest of the sections in the stadium.

- The North and South stands will be retractable. How that will work exactly is unclear

- The North and South end would double in size - take what is there and just replicate it above and then put a roof on it.

- Roof will be 4 separate pieces

- Developer is saying roof would ideally be material based - they want it to be clear material to help with grass growth. I mentioned the mess in olympic Stadium in Montreal and BC Place with tearing of the roof - Developer acknowledged that it could happen.

- Stadium will have open areas between the stands and the roof to allow for air flow for grass growth

- Concourse will be reworked but will still be open air - except on the East side where there may be an opportunity to close parts of it off

- Essentially it will still be outdoor feeling we have now

- The design is ugly and it's dictated by budget. Developer would like to do something nice, but budgets are dictating the look

On the Surface
    - Desso Hybrid Grass System is the front runner for the grass: Basically Real grass with synthetic mixed in - looks like a 10/1 mix. So the roots of the grass end up growing around the synthetic strands - makes it stronger so it won't tear up.

- Sounds like if it were up to the Argos - they would go full synthetic. No real grass. But they are not in control...

- There needs to be a 5 day blackout period between a CFL game and an MLS game in order to have ideal football grass conditions (allows time for repair, line removal and grass growth)

- Conflicting reports on CFL line removal

- tim Bezbatchenko says he was told that the lines are water based - they get wash off and then vacuumed up. Logos on the pitch are digitally generated - so you would see it on TV, but not in the stadium

- someone else said the groundskeepers were still working on an ideal solution

- Current irrigation system would remain.

In stadium stuff
    - Removing the big screen and putting up one screen on the North/West corner and one screen on the South/East corner

- With a roof - they can now upgrade the sound system

On transit
    - Parking will be a shit show The city has not through this one through

- This is where Tim Leiweke stood up and said they are working with Metrolinx to come up with a solution to get more people taking transit. Sounds like they are trying to work out some sort of a fan deal.

Scheduling
    - MLS is restrictive with how games are scheduled.
    - CFL is willing to do anything to accommodate this new setup to happen - Argos may get preferred scheduling to accommodate MLS/Grass growth needs
    Thanks for this... wasn't able to make the meeting and this appears to be the best summary so far

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CFL will simply schedule the Argos to play at home when TFC is playing away. It could (potentially) give the grass up to 13 days to recover (if TFC played Saturday, Argos played Sunday, and TFC was playing an away game the next weekend)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    CFL will simply schedule the Argos to play at home when TFC is playing away. It could (potentially) give the grass up to 13 days to recover (if TFC played Saturday, Argos played Sunday, and TFC was playing an away game the next weekend)
    This is exactly how it was put by someone at the meeting.

Argos play 8 home games a year - 10 if they make it all the way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see the CSA on board for this experiment. If it works, they'll have something they can pitch to the CFL cities for their World Cup bid. I'm sure there are a couple of cities that would like to renew their stadium infrastructure. Halifax, Montreal, Quebec City and Calgary come to mind. They'll probably be able to retrofit Ottawa, Regina, Hamilton, and Winnipeg's new stadiums with this conversion as well, with the thought to having teams from those cities join NASL.