View Poll Results: If seating expansion occurs... will we get a supporter/controlled section?

Voters
371. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes... They will finanlly get it

82 22.10%
  • No.... They will screw this up royally

213 57.41%
  • hmmm... not sure? how much money will they make from this?

76 20.49%
Page 2 of 163 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really dont get people who bad mouth BMO...I think its a great place, I like it location, views and personality. Would you rather have a freaking skydome like piece of crap ? Made to pay off contractors ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nicely done C-Town, I'm impressed!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wzhxvy View Post
    I am sorry guys but I just dont see MLSE funding a stadium expansion. Unless they somehow take ownership over BMO, or some construct that see the taxpayers paying a part of the bill...which I am fine with because I think the stadium is worth investing in. I just can't take the spin that they somehow will just pay for it. Lets get real.
    maybe im being optimistic, but maybe MLSE increased leafs ticket prices to fund the purchase of BMO, they'll probably have a profit of $100 million by next season from the leafs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Torcida_Toronto View Post
    approx 3000 for the South.
    9000 for the West
    8000 in the East.
    3,000 South
    7,000 East
    10,000 West

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Thanks C-Town

Quote Originally Posted by C-town View Post
    Anybody want to guess at what BMO expansion is going to look like?
    I am guessing construction will start after the season ends, and hopefully be completed in time for the 2010 Season opener. Maybe with construction happening they will push back the Home Opener to May and thus give us more warm weather games!

Anyways... I got to thinking what would MLSE Do....

The Most likely situation is as stated in the Toronto Star / Sun...
    http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/603933

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/soc...89656-sun.html

is to add an extra deck to the East Side. Why? Because this is the easiest way to add more LUXURY BOXES!! By adding 18 - 20 luxury boxes they will be able to cover the estimated 15 Million dollar construction price tag quite quickly + recover the remaining costs by increasing the number of fans in the stands (8,000) for 16 games a year.

So that being said... what would the East Side look like?

I was inspired by the Rio Tinto Stadium (Minus the crazy light reflector / roof). I dont want a roof on the East side because this would block the view of the city from the West Side (Sorry east siders your going to have to fry in the sun for a while longer...)

Rio Tinto Stadium....

As you can see they have a small second tier of seating above the first deck. Not quite as extreme as BMO's west side.

So what would this look like at BMO... (Please excuse my very poor and limited photoshop skills.)

Before (Current):

After?

I didnt read anything about South Side Expansion... but there is room.
    So let's take a look at that... It would be nice to re-unite the South with the East. (get rid of the Gate 3 gap and connect the East side supporters section with the South) Again, I dont think this will happen... because there is no desire to build luxury boxes in this area (the lifeblood of any owner).

Before (Current):

After?

I would love to see other designs and hear your thoughts and ideas on the subject!
    This is a fun thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just looking at those pictures, i can only imagine, how much louder and how much more intimidating it would be for the visitor's to come and play. This needs to happen ASAP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they should put a barbecue grill on the south end and a little to the left, that would look just fabulous!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really dont think anybody outside of the people on here are that concerned with the noise levels or intimidation. A roof on any stand would be a colossal waste of money for somebody. Our season currently runs through the summer... nobody wants to be stuck under a shitty aluminum roof in beautiful thirty degree weather. And nobody really cares when it rains either. In the fall it can be shitty but deal with it, its only a few games anyway. To spend a few million on a covered stand so the supporters groups are louder is a ludicrous idea.
    Covered stands are a relatively new thing pretty well everywhere. For the most part, in the UK stands were either open terraces or partially covered with the roof of a barn until after the taylor report. People stood out in the pissing rain and managed to make noise for 80-90 years without complaining.

I would hold off on expansion as well. Its only the third season. It still remains to be seen whether the average fans will fuck off after the initial novelty wears off. Even last year there were alot of empty seats towards the end of the season. Tickets were sold, but people couldnt be arsed to get down the stadium.

If they do expand it needs to be in the south end. I dont think anybody wants to ruin the cool view of the skyline that one can get from the west stand. As most people have said, filling in the corners wouldnt be a half bad start.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Build the Kop!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since we are floating pie-in-the-sky ideas here, this is what I'd do. Build the south stand again exactly on top of the existing stand. It would form a roof for the lower tier to help project the noise. Additionally (and this is the best part) you tell existing season ticket holders that what you've done is raise the old section and built the new section underneath it. Therefore their season seats are in the top tier and the bottom tier are the new seats that can only be bought through the supporters groups. This magically removes the non-supporters from the supporters sections. Real supporters can transfer to the same seats in the bottom tier by contacting their group ticket reps. By opening more supporters sections you can draw the supporters who are having trouble in the family sections down to the south end where they belong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real Salt Lake is a really dumb name for a MLS team (I never knew there was a King of Utah!), but man, Rio Tinto is one beautiful stadium.

I hope we always keep TFC at BMO Field, but we do need expansion.

You can't beat that location, though. When you're in the upper seats, and you can see the entire Toronto skyline? Beautiful.

I don't want us to be playing out in the burbs, like so many other MLS teams do. I like having our ground in the heart of the city.

- Scott
    “Heroism breaks its heart, and idealism its back, on the intransigence of the credulous and the mediocre, manipulated by the cynical and the corrupt.” ~Christopher Hitchens

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC John View Post
    Since we are floating pie-in-the-sky ideas here, this is what I'd do. Build the south stand again exactly on top of the existing stand. It would form a roof for the lower tier to help project the noise. Additionally (and this is the best part) you tell existing season ticket holders that what you've done is raise the old section and built the new section underneath it. Therefore their season seats are in the top tier and the bottom tier are the new seats that can only be bought through the supporters groups. This magically removes the non-supporters from the supporters sections. Real supporters can transfer to the same seats in the bottom tier by contacting their group ticket reps. By opening more supporters sections you can draw the supporters who are having trouble in the family sections down to the south end where they belong.
    Perfect. love it!

Give it 2-3 more seasons and lets just see how many people carry on with supporting the Toronto team and how many people give up after a while. If we have people who are like leafs fans and will come to games win-lose or draw, the people at BMO/MLS will notice and be ready to invest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rocker View Post
    the construction company listed 3000 for south, 10000 for west, and 7000 for east in one of their construction websites. (the one that had that webcam we used to watch).
    thanks was just curious to get an idea how big they would have to make each stand to get to 8,000 more seats. So if the East stand has 7,000 right now im sure they would have to build it the same size as the west stand just to add 3,000 more seats. And if they were to add seats in the south end they would have to double its current size just to add 3,000 more seats. And we still would have an extra 2,000 seats...so either get rid of the beer garden...add more seats to fill in the corners or to just make the South end pretty dam big which would make it 8,000 seats!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the stadium was built so that if they wanted to expand BMO they could easily without terrying it down. And it was made so that the East stand would be expanding, tho its a nice City skyline view, with expansions that would be gone, no way around it tho really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some truths:

1. No expansion will happen this winter - we're at least another year out and that's optimistic. Between red tape, zoning, CNE considerations, money and actually building the damn thing it's just not possible.

2. Private boxes will be a big factor in the equation, to be sure.

3. There's very little incentive for MLSE to increase the size of the south end and charge $15-$20 a seat. It won't make them any money, and it will deter sales of the more expensive seats.

4. The South End will be the last place that gets a roof in the stadium, and by last I mean never.

5. Seems to me the East stand and South stand have different slopes. Not really a good formula for attaching them (not a fact, but a gut feeling)

6. The 15 row addition to the East, as pictured, does not detract from the skyline view from the West - in fact it's addition by subtraction by hiding the Direct Energy Centre. Very encouraging!

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This looks pretty tight, though I would hope they go one step further and fill in the gap above the entrance. You can still have a corridor in there underneath, but just cover it up with seats on the second level.

Let's be honest, we all know the best course of action is to put in stands where the North End beer garden is. Paul has mentioned several times now that they really want to keep the open-air patio, but I really don't see the point to it anymore. The money they get from Carlsberg to plaster their logo all over the place is great and all, but you could get a lot more out of 8,000 paying ticket holders.

What they should do is put an exact replica of the South Stand right where the beer garden is now. One step further would be to put a row of boxes above the East stand. No need for a proper second tier - just a think line of boxes like over in the West Stand. I don't know if we'll ever see a set-up like that, but its my suggestion.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7. They will not allow a stand in the North End because it will detract and overshadow the Food Building. BMO Fiield's location is a real asset, but it comes with very culturally well established neighbours which have to be minded.

8. No Maple Leafs money will ever go to TFC investments. TFC are profitable enough that it is unnecessary. A pension fund can not it's shareholders' money on goodwill projects. Any addition/expansion will have to be a sound business case for increasing profits.
    Last edited by Don Julio; 03-25-2009 at 01:12 AM.

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paul also stated that there is not enough room for any stands in the North End due to the Food building and city regulations.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no input to provide as far as my own version of a possible expansion but I must say your photoshop skills are good enough my friend, I think the pictures you made are top notch.

Cheers

Awaiting Confirmation
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What exactly is the Food building?

RPB Member XI17 Moderator
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ It's the building to the immediate north of the stadium. During the CNE it's used to showcase Canadian and international food and drink.
    Did the USA , of all countries, just fix soccer? - C. Ronaldo, May 27th commenting on the FBI-led investigations into fraud and corruption throughout FIFA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    What exactly is the Food building?
    Dude, did they have bananas on the island you were stranded on?

Just kidding, it’s basically a big food court that’s open when the EX is in town. Once or twice I’ve seen people watching TFC games from its roof. They open up its bathrooms (on the buildings second floor) after TFC games - if you don’t want wait in line inside BMO and your parents raised you right (so peeing in the parking lot isn’t an option) it's the place to go.
    Last edited by UltraSuperMegaMo; 03-25-2009 at 01:54 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The food builing is a useless eyesore that the board of governors of Ex place cling to as symbolic of better times at CNE. Today it is a food court to 20 days a year. The other 345 days it is a country club for rats.

The ONLY redeeming feature of this hole is the giant F O O D sign above the entrance. That is cool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ginkster88 View Post
    Paul also stated that there is not enough room for any stands in the North End due to the Food building and city regulations.
    Paul also is not a construction guy.

Watching Ottawa Fury FC when not hanging off the top of Section 110 at BMO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey I like the updated images.... very nice.
    About the Picture of the west stand.. The one looking towards the CN Tower...
    Are those Corporate boxes you have between the levels?

The press box would still be in the centre and corporate boxes would be a great idea to draw more $$ to the team.
    Not that I would ever get to sit in one , or want to for that matter...
    my ultimate destination is in the South End... some year

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boban View Post
    Paul also is not a construction guy.
    but his is a guy in the FO who knows what can and can't be done based on agreements with the city

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 thing I will be extremely pissed with if/when this expansion goes through is if I lose my current seat location...I wouldn't mind the second tier in the south end (except for shit being thrown down on me) but if I am moved in any way from my 1st row seat it would suck monkey ass.....fuming just thinking about it.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olegunnar View Post
    It'll be the east stand that gets expanded I bet.

West is done
    North--they won't get rid of the beer garden
    South--they won't close the corners or make it more difficult to convert the stand to moveable stands for the CFL.
    Probably correct. Also, on expanding the East vs the South - they can charge more money for seats on the East side (due to the being "better" seats).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by olegunnar View Post
    It'll be the east stand that gets expanded I bet.

West is done
    North--they won't get rid of the beer garden
    South--they won't close the corners or make it more difficult to convert the stand to moveable stands for the CFL.

I agree. PB even stated on these boards that the corners would not be filled in, and I think you hit upon the reason: CFL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the open corners, it's the beer patio that spoils it IMHO. Some of the best stadiums I've been to overseas had open corners. I actually think they feel more intimate than the modern, mecca stadium.